• Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cookies

April 17, 2013

It took me three tries to get this recipe right, but third time’s a charm, right? These cookies turned out wonderfully!

These Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cookies are soft and sweet with flavors of coconut, almond, and chocolate throughout. They are definitely holy yum!

If you love almond joy-flavored treats, you will love these cookies!

• 1/3 cup coconut flour
    • 1/3 cup almond flour
    • 1 stick of butter (8 tbsp), softened
    • 1 egg
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
    • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
    • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/2 tsp coconut extract
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • 15 almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly.
    3. Roll batter into 1-inch balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Press an almond into each ball and flatten with hand.
    4. Bake cookies for approximately 16-18 minutes until cookies are lightly browned.
    5. Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool on wire rack.
    6. Eat and enjoy!

Makes 15 cookies

Becky April 17, 2013 at 12:08 am

So I am weird, and I don’t really like chocolate. But besides the chocolate, these cookies look amazing! Do you think they would still be good without the chocolate chips?

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom April 17, 2013 at 10:20 am

@Becky: I would guess they’d still taste great! Maybe they’d taste similar to those almond cookies you get at Chinese restaurants?

Miranda Blacknall April 17, 2013 at 12:19 am

Looks so yummy!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 17, 2013 at 12:25 am

Chocolate/almond/coconut — one of the best threesomes around!!

Jessica April 17, 2013 at 12:38 am

Those cookies look AMAZING!

lt April 17, 2013 at 12:47 am

I’m so glad you’ve taken the time to share your sincere condolences over the terrible events that happened in your city on Monday.

You’re a gem of a person.*

*Actually you’re a lazy, dim, narcissistic asshole. You suck.

TC April 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

@lt: Woke up on the judgmental side of the bed did you? Goodness, go for a walk or eat some chocolate or something.

Melody April 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

@lt: Interesting and totally applicable comment. If you have read this blog at all, you’d know that she is on vacation and this post was most likely scheduled in advance. So glad you added your sweet thoughts to the conversation. Apparently we should all give up chocolate in honor of the tragedy in Boston?

Aotearovian April 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm

@lt: After the Stephen King novel? Apropos. “They all float down here . . . “

Eryn April 17, 2013 at 2:32 am

Those look absolutely amazing! Cant wait to try them. :)

Ana Lydia April 17, 2013 at 2:38 am

Thanks for another awesome recipe. I’m trying to make a list of easy and nutrition gluten-free recipes. This one is definitely my fav.

Roxanne April 17, 2013 at 5:39 am

It looks very healthy. Almost is the beauty nut. Will try the recipe.

sara @ fitcupcaker April 17, 2013 at 6:51 am

When I’m back to eating sweets I will def make these!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 17, 2013 at 7:01 am

Ooooo these look delicious, and I love anything with coconut added so I’ll have to give them a try!

Deb @ Dietitian Debbie Dishes April 17, 2013 at 7:41 am

I haven’t done much gluten free baking but I should give it a try. These look delicious!

Avery @ SBLW April 17, 2013 at 7:56 am

Yum! Beautiful dessert, as always!

Taylor April 17, 2013 at 7:59 am

I guess I have to go to the store to get coconut flour :)

Shannon @ Skinny Sometimes April 17, 2013 at 8:02 am

What a great idea! Love the the almonds on the top and the simple ingredient list.

Alyssa April 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

Ginny April 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

These look wonderful! Can’t wait to try them!

Heidi April 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

Yum!! These would be good with craisins, too. I love the combo of nuts and dried fruit. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca King April 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

Holy yum indeed. That is a great recipe. Thanks.

Emily April 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

I am looooving baking with coconut and almond flour lately! I can’t get enough….can’t wait to try these!

cami@chow-daily April 17, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks for this recipe! It looks fantastic! Gluten-free is my new favorite.

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

These look incredible! I love almond anything!

Beth Sheridan April 17, 2013 at 10:45 am

There is definitely no going wrong with almond, coconut, and chocolate in my book!!

Lindsay April 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

These look delicious! Can’t wait to try them out! I’m not much of a baker, but is coconut extract something that is easily found at most grocery stores?

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

These look delish!! Love combining almond and coconut flour when baking!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 17, 2013 at 11:12 am

LOVE almond joys!! these cookies look faaaaantastic!!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte April 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

These sound fantastic! I loooooove Almond Joy candy, so the idea of those flavors in a cookie makes my tastebuds do an anticipatory happy dance. :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 17, 2013 at 11:48 am

These sound great, and their GF! I really need to finally buy some almond flour, coconut flour and peanut flour. I have been seeing the three in so many great recipes I want to try!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life April 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

These look AMAZING!!!!!

Mary April 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I just wanted to add a word of support. I’ve been reading your blog for a couple of years and I really appreciate that you are always so encouraging and positive. It was shocking that a few people chose to be critical and mean spirited about the timing of a pre-planned guest post.
    In the spirit of this blog and in the wake of another senseless tragedy, please remember to be kind or be quiet.

Sara Flynn April 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Yum, these look so good! I will have to make these for my GF friend!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I loooove almond joys (mounds bars even more!) so these are right up my alley!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) April 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I like step 6 in the recipe. 😉

Becky @ Olives n Wine April 17, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I’ve recently fallen in love with everything Almond Joy. I love the combination of almond and coconut flours in this recipe too! Going to have to give this recipe a try this weekend :)

Morgan@Healthy Food Newsletter April 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Yum these cookies look amazing! I have yet to cook with coconut flour or almond flour, but they have been on my list for things to try. Do they handle or cook differently than regular flour?

Duffy April 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I’m so confused. Are you back? What does downtown look like? I figured you’d be down there.

Cookies look good – will definitely try these.

tracy April 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm

My mom and sister love almond joy candy bars so I need to whip up a batch of these for them. Thanks for sharing.

Emily April 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Um, yeah, holy yum’s right!

Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

love good gluten free baked goods! i’ll have to try these =)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 17, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Yum! Your cookies look fantastic! I love almond joy type cookies!!

Kelly H-Y April 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Re: Boston … so well said.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 18, 2013 at 6:52 am

Another great recipe! This looks good and I’ve just been told to avoid gluten.

Suzy April 18, 2013 at 9:14 am

One of my best friends only eats gluten free, from the pizza to candy even!
    This would be a great surprise for him, I think he would love it.

Kelly@BalancedDaily April 18, 2013 at 10:35 am

I pretty much love any kind of candy bar, but Almond Joy’s are definitely top 10. These sound SO good, and now that I’m home I have all of these ingredients in my pantry. Might be a project for this weekend.

Danielle A April 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

These are really yummy! I made them last night and substituted Nikki’s vanilla cupcake coconut butter for all of the regular butter and they came out great! I may or may not have dipped the tips in melted dark chocolate and then some more coconut… :) yum indeed!

Mary Slagel@Healthy Food Newsletter April 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

If I could only describe to you how delicious those look! Well I’m sure you already know, but now I must find out for myself. I am starting to play around with different foods like gluten-free to try to really get down to the bottom of my stomach issues so this is a great start! Thanks for sharing!

Lyn Ashby April 22, 2013 at 3:34 am

This is a fabulous recipe that I will try to make. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne Holt April 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Those look and sound insanely good!