• Run * Burpee * Run Workout

March 26, 2013

Good morning, friends! I’m off to the gym in a few minutes, so I’m just popping in with a quick post.

Workout

I actually created this workout last week, but I never ended up doing it, so it was a priority for me to give it a try this week. Hey, it looks like a lot of fun! Running + push-ups + air squats + burpees? All my favorites! Plus, I’m trying to get back into running, so 3.5 miles will be a nice run.

run_burpee_run_workout

Breakfast

When I woke up this morning, I ate a bowl of Greek yogurt mixed with coconut milk, sliced banana, pecans, raisins, and cinnamon. I actually made it last night and then let it sit in the fridge overnight, so it was sort of like an overnight oats concoction (obviously, minus the oats) and got all sweet, gooey, and delicious.

033

Health News & Views

Spring is here, which means I’m taking my workouts from the treadmill to the great outdoors. Here are four tips to help you transition your indoor running to outdoor running!

Tips for Taking Your Run from the Treadmill to Outdoors

Which do you prefer: indoor running or outdoor running?

P.S. Saw this on Twitter last night and just wanted to share: Dog Welcomes Solider.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 26, 2013 at 11:35 am

I prefer doing longer runs outside and HIIT style runs inside because it’s easier to control my speed. Can’t wait for some of that spring weather to show up here in Chicago!

Nicole March 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

I prefer running outdoors but do appreciate the indoor track I can run on during winter/bad weather.

Emily March 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am hands-down an outdoor runner all the way. I hate the treadmill because I vary my speed so much while running that I am forever adjusting the pace. Meanwhile, the hubby preferrs the treadmill because he hates dodging cars and pedestrians on the streets.

I love that workout! Those are my three most favorite exercises ever :)

Ashley March 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I definitely prefer running outdoors because a treadmill can get really boring but I like that on a treadmill I can set my exact pace without staring at a running watch or app. This workout looks really awesome, especially for an indoor workout to break up the boredom of too much time on a treadmill!

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills March 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I really like that workout! I always feel kinda weird running on the treadmill at the gym, getting off and doing exercises and then getting back on. This is one that would be good while running on the track or through the neighborhood!

Tina March 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

It works inside or outside! :)

Ani March 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Not even a question, I love running outside! I am so sick of the dreamill and the track. BRING ON SPRING!

Tina March 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I’m with ya! Bring on the spring weather!!

Chelsea March 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Tina – I was just looking for a workout to kick my butt today, and I think I just found the one to do it! I’m a little bit of a weirdo (with allergies) who actually prefers running inside – but on those perfect weather days, sometimes nothing but outside will do :)

Stephanie March 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Before I was a “runner,” (still getting used to calling myself that, especially now that I’m injured) I was all about the treadmill. As I transitioned into more of a runner and started taking my runs outside, I found I craved the outdoor run and started dreading the treadmill. The treadmill has been a necessary evil this winter what with all of the snow we got in northeast Massachusetts, so I am grateful it’s around when I can’t go outside.

Jessica H. March 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I am slowly working towards being able to handle a workout like this! Mostly on the running, since I’m still in pace with a snail. I am getting back into running, and as you mentioned yesterday – “if you don’t use it, you lose it!”. Ack! Uphill at first, but I’m hopeful. :)

Mary March 26, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m an outdoors runner. I tried 8 miles on the treadmill last winter when it snowed quite heavily here and I missed a couple of long runs in the leadup to my marathon but it made my legs ache and I could barely walk afterwards, despite being up to 18 miles when running on the road. It’s pretty boring too!

Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom March 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I am an outdoor runner, 100%. As much as I am an advocate for not letting mental blocks break you during your runner, I am a hypocrite when it comes to treadmill running because I always let my mental blocks get me down when I run indoors.

Shel@PeachyPalate March 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I prefer outdoor but with freezing temperatures and gale force winds I’ll be staying inside until the real Spring arrives :)

rebecca @ blueberry smiles March 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Lately I prefer indoor running so I can zone-out with some guilty-pleasure tv show (usually a reality show on tlc or bravo!). I also have a hard time getting my temperature right when I run outside– I always get too hot if I bring a longsleeve and then just have to tie it around my waste or too cold if I don’t….plus I end up carrying my phone and keys, which is a pain (yes, I need to invest in some gear).

pinky March 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Be cautious,there have been findings that running can cause micro tears in the heart.

meredith March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

no question – outdoor running for sure!

Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 26, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I prefer running indoors, but I think that’s mostly because it’s what I’m most comfortable with since I’ve re-introduced running into my exercise routine as an adult. I used to run outside as a teenager and I did very much like it, so I definitely want to get back into it. Not to mention, my husband and I will be traveling throughout Europe for the next few months beginning in mid-April, and I know gyms are going to be sparse, so I’ll need to find a way to incorporate more jogging/walking outside into my fitness routines. I plan to follow several of your tips in the Health article – thanks for sharing!

Veterinarianess March 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I love running outdoors but I am totally a fair weather runner… if the conditions are too icky I wind up back on my treadmill :)

Emily March 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I love running outside when the weather in the Northeast is nice and ya know, not snowing in March ;) It’s just nice to be outside and enjoy the fresh air instead of on a treadmill.

Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Hey, I could actually do that workout! I’m not a great distance runner, so having the miles broken up would really work well for me. Bookmarking!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Outside, DEFINITELY! It is so much easier to run long distances! PS- that looks like a fun weekend!

Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

@Miranda @ Miranda Runs: yikes.. I mean workout! ;)

Amy @ Fun With Family and Fitness March 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm

This sounds like a great workout! Burpees are my daughter’s FAVORITE exercise to do in our karate class. (we normally do some sort of workout at the end of most classes) When the rest of the class moans and groans, she jumps up and says “YEAH!!!!!”

She Rocks Fitness March 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Outdoor running…for sure! I’ve actually been running outside a lot more this winter, because I cannot stand the “dread mill”. ;) The hardest part of those winter runs are those first 5 minutes…eventually you warm up. Okay well not all the time…

Polly March 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I enjoy running outside, especially somewhere that is scenic like at the lake or waterfront. It helps me clear my mind!

Lori March 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Outdoors, 99.9% of the time, even in lousy weather. The ‘dreadmill’ feels like the same distance run lasts forever when I’m on it.

Kylie @ immaeatthat March 26, 2013 at 10:35 pm

oooohhh I LOVE your workouts!!!! Can’t wait to try this one before all the Easter deliciousness begins!!

Meredith March 26, 2013 at 10:44 pm

That workout looks like a good one and I’m sure will fly by quickly! I’m an outdoor runner for sure..I much prefer outdoor scenery compared to the inside of a gym!

Jules March 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I did this workout tonight and it kicked my butt!! Thank you for the great all around workout.

Mags @ From the Mind of Mags March 26, 2013 at 11:54 pm

That workout looks intense, I am going to give it a try this weekend.

xoxo
    Mags

Melody March 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

I’m running a 5K this weekend (on top of doing 13.4!) and need to do a little bit more training for it. This is perfect! Now to convince my CF buddies they need to do it with me.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 27, 2013 at 6:08 am

I definitely prefer outdoor running if the weather is nice. I find it so much more interesting and I just feel better being able to regulate my own speed the whole time.

Jennifer@knackfornutrition March 27, 2013 at 9:14 am

I did your workout last night at the gym and it was an utter sweatfest! Just the way I like it! Thanks for sharing!

Tina March 27, 2013 at 9:42 am

Yay! So glad you liked it!!

Brooke March 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

I definitely prefer running outside! But even in decent weather, I still find myself inside on the treadmill. Which is where I did this workout this morning! It was sweaty and slightly challenging with the burpees in the middle. Loved it! I’m trying to get back into running, too. I have such a love/hate relationship with running. One week I love it and go out and run 7 miles, and then I won’t run for WEEKS! Hopefully this will keep me away from the elliptical!

cami@chow-daily March 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I enjoy running indoors and outdoors but depending on the day, sometimes I prefer one over the other. Going to school in Florida has slowly transformed my indoor running to outdoor running (for obvious reasons). I am going to try out the workout you listed, Thanks!

Kelly@BalancedDaily March 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I actually really like both but neither for too long. I absolutely LOVE outdoor running when the weather is nice obviously, but since I haven’t been on the treadmill in a really long time since I moved out of my last apartment, I actually really miss treadmill workouts and being able to adjust the speed and incline at different points. If I had to choose one though it’d definitely be outside.

gracekelle at leangirlsclub March 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I enjoy outdoor running. My view is terrific in NYC whether it be Central Park or running along the Hudson River or the Harlem Hills. There’s so much to see. I don’t hate the gym either – it provides a safe place for me to run when we get hit with snow!

Mary Slagel@Healthy Food Newsletter March 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

My boyfriend gets on to my case because I go to the gym and jog on the treadmill. Of course I always use the excuse I go there for the weights as well and figure I might as well get some jogging time in. But honestly, I just like the safety of the treadmill. Whenever I want to be done, I can be done. I can read a book, listen to music, watch a movie, ect. I like being out in the sun and seeing the scenery–we live in Florida along the bay and have a beautiful sidewalk that runs along it–but I like being able to just step off the treadmill if something were to happen rather than be miles away from home. Really I’m just a lazy runner who isn’t too good at long distances. But hopefully as I work at getting back into running this opinion will change.

kylie @ immaeatthat March 31, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Did this workout this morning and LOVED it!! Thank YOU!:):)