• Sweet Breakfast Scramble

October 11, 2012

Good morning, friends! Boy, do I have a delicious recipe for you!

When Mal and I returned home from our vacation on Tuesday morning, I was starving for breakfast, but there was hardly any food in the house. We had eggs, so I thought about making a two-ingredient pancake or “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats, but we didn’t have any bananas—only frozen ones in the freezer. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try making one of these recipes with a frozen banana, so I got a little creative. The end result was a Sweet Breakfast Scramble made with a frozen banana, eggs, leftover acorn squash, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. It probably sounds like a weird mix of ingredients, but it didn’t tasty egg-y at all. It was more of a sweet banana-cinnamon flavor!

Sweet Breakfast Scramble

• 1 frozen (or regular) banana
    • 1 egg
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1/2 cup mashed squash (I used acorn squash; pumpkin would probably work too)
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • Nut butter (optional)

1. Microwave banana for 40 seconds to soften.
    2. Combine banana with eggs, squash, cinnamon, and vanilla extract; blend well.
    3. Coat skillet with melted coconut oil (or cooking spray) and pour in batter.
    4. Cook on medium heat until eggs are no longer runny; stir frequently.
    5. Eat with nut butter or your favorite toppings!

I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with almond milk with breakfast.

Health News & Views

Every time I sit down to a meal, I have a choice to eat right and make healthy decisions, but when I’m feeling overly emotional, faced with super-sized portions, or just plain distracted, it’s not always so easy. Wolfing down a meal can lead to overeating, which can pile on the pounds, so instead of feeling out of control, it’s important to become aware of my behavior at meal times. Doing so improves my self-control and helps me thoroughly enjoy my dining experience without overeating. Here are seven things you should do at every meal so you can savor every bite, too!

7 Things You Should Do At Every Meal

Seaport’s First Annual “HOWL-O-WEEN” Party

I received an email about the Seaport’s First Annual “HOWL-O-WEEN” Party the other day and just had to share. It sounds like a ton of fun! I bet Murphy wants to go!

Celebrate Halloween in style with your favorite spooktacular pooch!

WHAT: Show off your your favorite four legged friend at the Seaport Hotel’s “HOWL-O-WEEN” Costume Party Saturday afternoon, October 27, 2012 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm.

Bring your costumed canine and relax with a cocktail or some autumn apple cider on Seaport’s boo-tiful TAMO Terrace!

This event is FREE and open to the public. Please RSVP via EVENTBRITE at:

What’s your favorite way to use frozen bananas?

I have a freezer full of them, so I’d love to hear your ideas!

Shana October 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

I always keep frozen bananas for baked goods. I just microwave them and then mash them up to use in banana breads and cookies. Just don’t throw out the extra liquid. Add it right into the recipe!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am a huge proponent of mindfulness based eating – After years of struggling with it myself (eating with a tv on, shoveling as much food into my face without thinking of it…) I’ve found it’s helped me to eat significantly less and enjoy food way more!

Erin October 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

Eh, I don’t know if I would ever make this. Not a fan of acorn squash and random ingredients mashed up to look like vomit.

My suggestion for bananas are dipping them in chocolate before freezing them. But chocolate is not Paleo. It’s normal people food.

Tina October 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Haha! Thanks for your comment! :)

Kari October 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I actually made this “vomit” for breakfast this morning and it was delicious! Man, people sure can be hateful sometimes for no apparent reason at all – sad world.

Keep the great recipes coming, Tina!@Erin:

Tina October 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Agreed. It’s a sad world when people take the time to leave hateful comments.

mary @ minutespermile October 11, 2012 at 9:33 am

i cook them in oats! can’t tell that they’re frozen by the time they’re all melty-like. also works to thaw them out in overnight oats.

Cortney October 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

Dip them in chocolate and roll them in coconut and nuts…mmmmm!

Holly P. @ A Year in Wichita October 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

I do the same boring thing that everyone else does…banana bread or banana soft serve. They’re both delish, though!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles October 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

I would make banana bread, but I am guessing that is not allowed on Paleo.

The Kidless Kronicles

Tina October 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

It depends how you make it! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

I use them for the obvious smoothies, but then I’ll also defrost them in the microwave and use them in my oats, pancakes, bread/muffins, or anything else you’d use an extra ripe banana for!

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

I loooove banana soft serve. Add some cocoa powder and nut butter… mmmm!

Tina October 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Mmmm… delicious! :)

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

Looks like a great healthy breakfast. Thanks for the tips in that article. Definitely something I struggle with too.

Khushboo October 11, 2012 at 10:14 am

Smoothies for sure…or even mixed with a little nut butter!

Pauline October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

Banana soft serve. For the fall I dice up an apple, sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and put in the microwave for 45 sec – 1 min, then top with banana soft serve (frozen banana in the food processor.) Great substitute for apple pie a la mode!

Tina October 11, 2012 at 10:32 am

Oooh, that sounds amazing! Thanks for the idea!

Christine October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

I use my frozen Bananas for banana soft serve! I add a scoop of nutella to it, which is paleo 😉 and walnuts. Delish!

Kat October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

smoothies – they are perfect for smoothies!

Ed October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

That is a great way to start a day…and I agree with Kat!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

I love frozen bananas in smoothies!!

lynn @ the actor's diet October 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

i stuff my dog’s kong with them!

jessica October 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I admit to laughing out loud when I read this–it just sounds SO wrong. What’s a kong?

Rachel October 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

This sounds great! I used to love frozen bananas in smoothies 😀 and just regular mashed up in my oatmeal… until I became allergic lol Oh how I miss them!!!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

I’ve never made a sweet egg scramble but this looks delicious! I eat overnight oats almost every morning so I need to change it up

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

I really like this breakfast idea! Sounds delicious. But if I start adding squash to one more of my meals . . . I might turn orange! lol.

My favorite way to use frozen bananas is not anything new: fro yo. So simple, so good!

Simone October 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

that breakfast is right up my alley, nothing better than a totally random mish mash, they always make the best meals.
    My favourite frozen banana uses are: frozen banana, protein powder, a little almond butter and spinach for a after dinner protein filled ice cream
    I also make a banana, coconut chia pudding that is to die for … 3 frozen bananas chopped, 1 cup canned coconut milk, 1 cup almond milk, 2 Tbsp chia seeds, 2 tsp vanilla and sweetener of your choice (i use maple syrup, stevia or some chopped dates)… blend in high speed blender and let sit in fridge for a few hours to thicken up, its so yummy! I often make it at night and eat it for breakfast or its great as a post dinner treat.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 11, 2012 at 11:14 am

This recipe looks awesome! I love frozen bananas in smoothies! They’re my favorite smoothie add in! I also love banana “ice cream”

Abigail October 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

You guys… I was just given a yonanas, and it is the best thing. I promise I don’t work for them or anything, I just truly love the thing. You put your frozen bananas (or any fruit) in the top and it shoots out perfect banan soft serve. Worth a try!!!

Tina October 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

We have a Yonanas machine too! It’s AWESOME! :)

Jessica October 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

@Tina: I have one too, but I don’t love it. I wish I had just bought a food processor instead- it would be much more versitile.

Jenica October 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

That actually sounds super tasty. Would never have thought to do it myself though!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Banana softserve (blended with peanut butter and put back in the freezer for about half an hour before eating!) Dip them in to melted dark chocolate and refreeze…allow them to thaw for about 5 mins before munching! Banana softserve, layered up with pumpkin puree, nut butter (or sunbutter is amazing!), toasted coconut…and of course smoothies!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm

A frozen banana, almond milk, spinach and protein powder is my usual post-workout snack!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

To be honest I’m not a big fan of bananas. I really wish I was though because almost anyone who talks about healthy eating has them all the time (including you of course) but I just can’t get over the texture! So pretty much the only things I like them in are smoothies and banana bread. Congrats on a crazy amount of Kipping pull-ups! I’m still doing jumping pull-ups during WODs (really need to work on my upper body strength.

Christina October 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Tina, do the oatmeal minus the oats and this sweet breakfast scramble taste anything like eggs? I hate eggs (which really stinks!) but always wonder if these breakfasts would be a good way to try and get some into my diet. You may have already answered this in another post but I don’t remember seeing it. Thanks! :)

Tina October 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I think they taste like banana and cinnamon more than anything, but if you don’t like eggs, you still might be able to taste them.

Erica @ Love the Leap October 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Tina– I LOVE your oatless oatmeal recipe so I think I’d love this too (especially with pumpkin!) I use frozen bananas in my smoothies– they make them super thick and creamy like ice cream!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I save/freeze my super-ripe bananas specifically to use them in smoothies!

Erin October 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Since I started reading CNC, I eat 2-ingredient pancakes or a banana with nut butter just about every single day…I LOVE them! I also love banana soft serve, but I don’t eat it as much. I usually chop up some chocolate chips and toss them in…delicious!

BroccoliHut October 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I tend to overbuy bananas, so I always have some frozen ones hanging around. Most often I use them in smoothies (so good with pumpkin!) or melt them into my oatmeal on the stovetop. Can’t forget banana fro-yo!

Katie October 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I use frozen bananas in one of my favorite frozen yogurt recipes. One frozen banana, 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of chocolate pudding mix, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 cup of almond milk and a little bit of stevia….all blended up then thrown into an ice cream maker for 20 minutes or so. Delicious!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I have often used frozen bananas in my oatmeal, smoothies or to make banana soft serve. Nothing too crazy I guess, but all very delicious! :)

Becki October 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

I just made the Sweet Breakfast Scramble.. It. Is. So. Good. Thank you for sharing!

Tina October 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

Nice! So glad you liked it! :)

Melanie October 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

I made this with pumpkin And it was delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

Stacy October 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

@Melanie: I just made it with pumpkin too and it was SO GOOD.

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Yum…the sweet scramble looks delish! I love having frozen bananas on hand to make banana froyo or spinach banana smoothies. Also, you could unfreeze them for Paleo banana bread. I made this Paleo bread last week and it was the best grain-free bread I’ve had yet. http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/recipes/?recipe_id=6034148

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I love using frozen bananas in smoothies and to make banana soft serve. Yum!!

Casey October 13, 2012 at 12:02 am

Do you think you could substitute a mashed sweet potato for the squash??

Tina October 13, 2012 at 7:27 am

Yep! :)

Julia October 17, 2012 at 1:19 am

is this one serving or two?

Tina October 17, 2012 at 6:03 am

One! :)

Julia October 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

@Tina: I see that now because i made it this morning and it was FABULOUSSSSSS! I only used 1/4 cup pumpkin (just to make sure i really liked the taste of pumpkin squish) and left out one of the egg whites. Worked just great! Thanks!

Tina October 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yay! :)

Amber October 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Do you put it into a blender or mash it by hand?

Tina October 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Mash by hand.

Becky October 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I made the sweets scramble this morning and it was amazing! I don’t have a microwave so I just used a non frozen banana but it still turned out wonderfully. It was so good in fact that I am baking a pumpkin at this very moment (we live in London where canned squash is rare) to make it again tomorrow and another time on the weekend for my husband who’s now curious because I raved so much about it!

Katherine October 23, 2012 at 12:25 am

I just bought a big batch of butternut squash and don’t really know how to use it. Would it taste good in this scramble? or is the taste too different from acorn squash (I don’t eat a lot of squash other than zucchini so I am really not sure about taste). Thanks.

Emily October 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

@Katherine: I just made it with roasted butternut squash and it was delicious!

Tina October 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Nice! :)

Katherine October 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback Emily. I am going to give it a try tomorrow!

Jenn November 3, 2012 at 10:31 am

Just made this today! A few questions though: is this recipe one serving? It was too much food for me! :) it tasted really good once I got past to way it looked! Also, mine got a little watery… Did I cook it too long? Oreads it because I used pumpkin maybe? Thanks!

Your blog is one I follow and really enjoy it! I have gotten so much inspiration for a healthier lifestyle from you! Thanks SO much!

Tina November 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yep, it’s one serving. I eat a lot! :) The pumpkin makes it a little watery, so you can use less, use a bigger banana, or add more egg whites.

Lindsay November 12, 2012 at 7:31 am

I made this today without the banana (didn’t have any and sometimes the taste is a little overwhelming) and it was great! I like egg whites for breakfast and this recipe changes things up a bit. Sweet and yummy!

Bacall November 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

I love this mash up! Such yummy breakfast comfort food and has totally inspired me to use eggs/egg whites to satisfy my sweet cravings.

Alicia November 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I’m not going to lie I was quite skeptical!:) BUT it was so good! I actually used canned sweet potato cause thats all I had. I couldn’t finish the whole thing cause it was so filling. Thanks Tina!

Elle November 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Just had this for lunch with a fresh mashed banana and leftover ambercup squash…with Almond Butter and yogurt. Amazing!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 25, 2012 at 5:22 am

This is slowly becoming one of my breakfast staples 😉