• Curry Spice Blend & Cheap Nail Polish

October 19, 2012

Ever since I started cooking from Practical Paleo and Well Fed, I’ve been really into spice blends. Both cookbooks (especially Practical Paleo) have a ton of recipes that literally spice up your meals.

When I made the Sweet Potato Coins from Practical Paleo a few weeks ago, I fell in love with the Curry Spice Blend that the recipe calls for. It’s a blend of curry powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, and sea salt, and, oh my goodness, it’s delicious. I’ve been throwing it in everything lately—including yesterday’s lunch (and dinner).

spiceblend

Lunch

Yesterday’s lunch was a “refrigerator surprise” with all sorts of random ingredients from the fridge. Mal cooked some sausage the night before, so I sliced it up, sautéed a bunch of veggies (broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, onions, leftover potatoes) in coconut oil, and then added the Curry Spice Blend to the mix. Holy yum! It turned out great!

After lunch, I headed out to run some errands. I went to the bank and dry cleaner, cashed in some returnable bottles and cans, went to the frame store to get a painting framed that Mal gave me back in high school (14 years later – I figured it was about time), mailed the #getafterit t-shirts to the giveaway winners, and then stopped by CVS to pick up my 90-day supply of colitis drugs. (My health insurance wouldn’t cover a 30-day supply, but they’d cover a 90-day supply, so now I’m the proud owner of 810 pills.)

thursdayerrands

While I was waiting for my prescription to be filled at CVS, I snapped a photo of some cheap-y nail polish (polish, not Polish) to send to Theodora since I raved about it to her the other day, but I couldn’t remember the brand name at the time.

IMG_1767

A couple of weeks ago, on a whim, I bought a bottle of Spoiled “Steel the Show” for $1.99. I didn’t expect much from it, but I really liked the color. Well, it ended up looking really great on and surviving a few days without a single chip. I usually destroy manicures in less than 24 hours, so I was really impressed with it. And for $1.99, it was an awesome deal!

SteeltheShownailpolish

Snack

After running my errands, I came home, snacked on some red grapes, and then took Murphy for a walk.

Dinner

A few hours later, it was time for dinner, so I reheated some of the leftover curry goodness for lunch. So delish!

After dinner, Mal and I shared the last of the Chocolate Chip Coconut Butter Cookies for dessert.

And then we caught up with our DVR and cuddled on the couch with the pug. It was a really nice night.

What cheap-y beauty product do you love?

Other favorites: Maybelline Full ‘N’ Soft Waterproof MascaraMaybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner, and Neutragena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub.

NYC Fit Girl October 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

I have never tried that polish but I am defiantly going to look at the colors next time I am at the pharmacy. Looks like a fun / relaxing night!

Frannie October 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

30 vs. 90 day question…90 day requires less paperwork and restocking. A bunch of states use this in their state medical programs to cut costs. At least they will cover your meds!

Also, nice nail color. I’m totally into the greys right now.

Tina October 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

Interesting! Thanks! It’s just weird because they’ve been covering a 30-day supply all along, but they wouldn’t this time.

Katie October 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Probably because it was a “temporary” prescription at first, and now you are on it long-term.

Michele October 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

@Tina: Is CVS the only place you can get your prescriptions filled? I’m asking because I administer the benefits at my job and we use CVS for our prescriptions. We can only get so many 30 day fills and then if it’s something you take every day, the only way you can keep getting it filled is to get it for 90 days. They do this with all maintenance medications. I’ve never heard of this with any other prescription coverage before CVS.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 19, 2012 at 8:41 am

I’ll have to look for that nail polish because I too usually chip my manicures SO quickly. Though working in food right now means I can’t really do my nails very often. :-/ But most of my makeup is relatively cheap because I make sure I can always buy it from a drug store. And I love the Maybelline Great Lash mascara. It’s always so cheap but probably the best mascara I’ve used.

Parita @ myinnershakti October 19, 2012 at 8:44 am

LOVE the Big Bang Theory reference!!! :)

And my favorite cheap beauty product has to be the lip stick I found at Kohl’s – great color and it stays on the entire day (it’s Flirt brand).

Tina October 19, 2012 at 8:45 am

Haha! That was a really funny episode! :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 19, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m always looking for a cheaper nail polish to try that will actually stay on! Why is it that nail polish is always so expensive?! I like to buy my eyeshadows and bronzer a bit cheaper and love physicians formula because they come with a bunch of different colors in one!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 19, 2012 at 8:47 am

I like cheap nail polish for trendy colors, but I finally caved and bought a few notes of Essie and it really is much higher-quality.

Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2012 at 8:48 am

Funny enough my face washes are super cheap…and fortunately my skin is looking great without shelling out mucho $$$!

Laura October 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

Yup! I use Purpose for a face wash. At $6 a bottle, it works for me!

Tina October 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

@Laura: Mine is usually around $7, and I love it!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 19, 2012 at 8:49 am

Good old NYC nail polish is also a $1.99, I believe… and I really like it! It actually lasts.

mary @minutepermile October 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

I Thunk nyc brand nail polish and makeup is pretty good and super cheap! I buy all my makeup at cvs.

mary @minutepermile October 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Think!@mary @minutepermile: I think nyc brand nail polish and makeup is pretty good and super cheap! I buy all my makeup at cvs.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve been addicted to lipsmackers Dr. Pepper lip gloss this month!

caitlin October 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

Cheap nail polish rocks. So do cheap manicures!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

I use a CoverGirl pressed powder for an eye shadow. It’s inexpensive and lasts forever! :)

Teri {a foodie stays fit} October 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

for the past few months, i’ve been spending $50 on a tiny bottle of fancy moisturizer trying to help my breakouts. I just switched to Cerave’ which is $14 for a huge bottle and my skin has already improved!

Samantha N. October 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm

@Teri {a foodie stays fit}:

CeraVe is what my dermatologist recommends!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food October 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

Maybelline Great Lash is the best mascara ever! Its so much cheaper but it is just as good or better than the high dollar stuff.

Samantha Angela October 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Wow, only $1.99?! That’s so cheap. Nail polish can be ridiculously expensive eh? The last time I went to buy some I don’t think I say anything under $8. I don’t know if that’s just a Canadian thing or what?

Beks October 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’m obsessed with ELF makeup (www.eyeslipsface.com). It’s so cheap, so whenever I make an order, in order to make shipping worth it, I ask anyone else if they need anything. Luckily, Target and KMart carry some of it now. Not the great stuff, but some stuff. :-)

Shana October 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Somtimes I buy products marketed to tweens and teens because it’s significantly cheaper (ahem, Mary Kate and Ashley make-up) and I still check out the Bonne Belle flavors of lip gloss!

Cara October 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Hehe, not Polish?? But he drew dead Marie Curie! Love that episode, poor Wolowitz!

Tina October 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

Hahaha!

Ashley @ LibertyBelles October 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

Great big bang reference! I love my maybelline mascara too! I also love clean and clear facewash. Your day so sounds so productive and relaxing. I love those days!

Mallory October 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

I’m a makeup junkie and I love Joe Fresh (not sure if that’s just a Canadian brand or not) but all the makeup/brushes are 12.00 or less and are really good quality. Also, I use Neurtogena bar soap for my face and it’s amazing and like 2.00 a bar!

Katie October 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Sinful Colors from Walgreens, (link here: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sinful-colors-professional-nail-enamel/ID=prod1550389-product), is AMAZING and stays on for a good 5 days without chipping, when used with a base and top coat. I could not believe that it stayed on so long for only $2! I went back and bought about 7 more colors. LOVE IT!

Tina October 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

@Katie: Nice! I will check that one out! Thanks! :)

Jenna October 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

I can’t speak to cheapie but long live OPI! Also, can’t stand Essie, chips way fast on me for some reason.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m all about Maybelline mascara. My mom uses it and bought it for me when I first started wearing make up, and I’ve loved it ever since!

Tina October 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

@Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries: It’s the best stuff, right? I’ve paid big bucks for mascara, but always come back to Maybelline!

Grether October 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ever since starting to eat Paleo I have been on a spice tip! I will throw cayenne pepper or cinnamon on everything haha! :)

xoxo Grether

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

I buy any cheap nail polish I can find! They always seem to be just as good as the nice ones and I like experimenting with new colors so it’s a cheap way to do it!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

I always buy cheap lipstick and eyeshadow from the drug store. Don’t get me wrong I love my expensive, high quality makeup too…but sometimes I find the best colors/deals at CVS.

Random-The grapes photo is making want grapes!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’m a sucker for Bonne Bell eyeshadows. Cheap, compact so they’re perfect for travel with multiple shadows and seem to last forever! Same with their coffee tinted lip glosses.

By the way, what movie did you end up with last night?

Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

My favorite cheap products: Cetaphil for face wash and L’oreal Voluminous mascara, it is the best!!!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

That curry blend sounds so good! I love curry powder and add it to so many of my meals, but I definitely need to try this mixture!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

This sounds silly, but I absolutely love Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Was as shower wash. It is gentle and it smells so fresh, kind of like my fav scent, Victoria’s Secret Heavenly.

Stacey October 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

Maybelline Great Lash mascara—I finally stopped buying the expensive stuff and this is wayyyy better and saves me $10! Also, Loreal nail polish is great!

Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’ve been buying Cover Girl eyeliner for almost a decade already and love it! The low price definitely helps :) I’ve never had much luck with cheap nail polish, but now I’ll keep my eyes open for this one!

Megan@ The Running Doc October 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

I like the Big Bang Theory reference about polish! Last nights episode had my laughing so hard, love that show.

Jean October 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

I like any and all cheap beauty products! Well, within reason…

Elisabeth October 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

My favorite cheap beauty product is Purpose face wash :)

Traci October 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh, I recently tried that nail polish brand too and was pleasantly surprised. I’ve also found that NYC nail color from CVS and Sinful from Target are really cheap and really good quality. Essie will always be my favorite, but it’s nice to throw in a few cheaper brands here and there (for my wallet’s sake). Rimmel brand products (CVS) are also great. I’ve tried their nail polish, eyeliner, and lipstick so far.

Danica October 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

I recently bought a bottle of nail polish from Target that was also just $1.99 and I love it! It’s called “Sinful Colors Professionals”

Sara October 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

I use the same Neutrogena face wash and love it!

Tina October 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

It’s awesome, right? I’ve tried a million over the years, but I always come back to this one!

Ashleigh V October 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love the Big Bang Theory reference—that episode made me literally LOL. :)

jordan @ thedancingdonut October 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

i actually tried that polish too in bright red and i LOVED it!! i couldn’t believe how long it lasted! my other favorite cheap makeup product is Maybelline’s FIT foundation. that stuff is awesome.

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I love the Big Bang Theory reference!
    I need to find that brand of nail polish! I don’t paint my nails a lot so I hate spending a ton of money on polish. My favorite cheap cosmetic brand is Rimmel, I like their eyeliner a lot!

Becka @ simplybecka October 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Those pug cuddles look great. Who doesn’t love a good pug cuddle. You should maybe rent him out for cuddle time. ^)^ I love cheap body lotion for using as hand lotion. I wash my hands so much, I always wash off the lotion. A nice cheap body lotion works great, and is usually not too greasy for my hands. Have a great weekend. ^_^

Leila October 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

YES!!!!! I LOVE BIG BANG THEORY!!!!! Great reference! haha

kristle October 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

i’m so not a make up person, but i’m addicted to chap stick, one in particular. i love bonne bell lipsmacker in dr pepper. i’ve been using it since i was in middle school, but its held the test of time! it adds a little tiny bit of a red tint, keeps my lips moisturized, and the company doesnt test on animals. also, i get it in the big super sized tubes x) they last a long time!

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit October 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I love spice blends!! I’m gonna have to look into those cookbooks. I use a generic target brand facial scrub and it’s da bomb. O, wait, it’s no longer the 90’s. I take that back. It’s the bees knees. Hmm, I guess nobody says that anymore either. It’s official, I’m getting older and my vernacular is out of date. Whatevs ;).

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness October 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I think Wet & Wild has stepped up the quality of their polishes and makeup. Most products are $5 or less. And CVS has a buy one, get one free sale this week!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

My favourite cheap product is just good old Blistex lip chap!

Amber October 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I love Diane’s spice blends too! My favorite so far is the smoky blend, but I haven’t tried the curry one yet.

Colleen October 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm

you know, I’ll never understand health insurance! Mine has a $7 co-pay for a 30 day supply, but if I pay Target $10 (and no insurance coverage / co-pay) I can get a 90 day supply — go figure! I go with the $10 as I figure I’m saving in the long run …

Laura@ Eat Right Newsletter October 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Your pug is so cute! I definitely want to try spices in my recipes, they sound really good!