• Crockpot Recipe Swap

October 4, 2012

Yesterday started bright and early in the Haupert household, and some of us were a tad more enthusiastic about it than others.

GoodMorningPug

Look at that pathetic pug lip! Oh my goodness… haha!

Breakfast

Breakfast was “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats with a scoop of sunflower butter and a glass of iced Dandy Blend with almond milk. Mal and I ate breakfast together and, while we ate, we made a checklist of everything we need to do before we leave for Seattle (i.e. reserve a rental car, book taxi to airport, drop Murphy at the dog sitter, pack, print boarding passes, Google CrossFit boxes in Seattle… you know, all of the important stuff).

FYI: Here’s how to not ruin your pots when making “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats!

Lunch

I spent the rest of the morning work, work, working, and then broke for lunch a little early. My stomach was a-grumbling, so I reheated some leftover Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash. Delicious X 10.

After I finished eating lunch, I whipped out the crockpot to prepare dinner.

On the menu: Pot Roast with Cider-Maple Gravy and Mashed Butternut Squash. I love finding new recipes, so I’m constantly tearing out pages from magazines and other publications—this one came from a little booklet in my swagbag at Fitbloggin’.

Mmm… butternut squash… my favorite!

Once dinner was (slow) cooking, I started to pack for Seattle. You’d think with all of the traveling I do, I’d be a pro at packing, but I still kind of stink at it. It takes me forever to plan outfits and figure out exactly what I should pack, so I typically give myself at least a couple of days to get it all together. I usually end up changing my mind a bunch and remembering random things to pack. I dunno, it seems to work.

PackingWithThePug

Snack

A little while later, I needed to head into Boston for my doctor’s appointment, so I sliced up a banana and added some almond butter and cinnamon as a snack.

What’s your favorite crockpot recipe?

Feel free to leave a link or two in the comment section. I know I love finding new crockpot recipes, so I figured you guys would too!

P.S. MizFit is selling adorable workout skirts (with skulls on them!) on her blog. All proceeds benefit a family charity in Guatemala.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons October 4, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yes! Everyone needs a MizFit workout skirt! =) OMG and the skillet hash has me DROOLING! I want that for brekkie now!

Fav crockpot recipe?

Veggie Loaded Baked Potato Soup [in ze crockpot!] –

Holly October 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

A while back I did a round up of 30 Nights of Paleo CrockPot Recipes. There are some TOTAL GEMS in there!

Ginny October 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

My crockpot chili is very healthy. Layer in crockpot: 2 cans pinto or kidney beans (rinsed and drained), 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 lbs. ground beef or turkey (browned and drained—I use the microwave to do this easilty), 2 medium onions (chopped), 1 package Williams chili seasoning mix (it is very low in sodium). Do not stir until it is done. Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 4 – 6 hours.

April October 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm

This my all-time favorite crock pot recipe: Pulled Pork and Broccoli Slaw. Both are outstanding! http://www.oprah.com/food/Slow-Cooked-Barbecue-Pork-Shoulder-and-the-Ultimate-Barbecue-Sauce

Lauren October 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I just made a pretty fantastic chicken and lentil sweet potato stew in the crock over the weekend. Still working on the recipe but it was awesome!

Sara October 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love that you posted this – I recently promised myself I was going to use my crock pot more and am going to stalk your comments for recipes.

PS. Where are Mal’s shoelaces?? Are they made like that or did he take them out…and if so, how do they stay on?

Kat October 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

There’s a cross fit box in downtown Seattle on Stewart St. I don’t know its name, but I see it everyday on my bus to school.

Jo Hsu October 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Have you discovered The Civilized Caveman yet? George is a sweetheart, really down to earth, and a very talented self-taught caveman chef. His crockpot pulled pork is a favorite of mine:

Mara @ martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com October 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Beef stew in the crock is my all time fav in the fall:

Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
    1lb. stew beef cut into 1” cubes
    2Tbs. veg oil
    ¼ Cup Flour (or cornstarch)
    3 Large onions
    6 carrots, chopped small (or
    baby carrots)
    3 celery stalks, chopped small
    ¼ tsp. celery salt
    Pinch of ground sage
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Heat veg oil, coat beef cubes in flour. Brown beef on all sides. Put into
    crock pot on low – add beer, water, sugar, boullion cubes, onions, bay
    leaf and garlic. Cover & simmer until meat is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
    Cut remaining veggies and add. Add salt, pepper, garlic and
    spices. Cover & simmer a few hours until veggies are tender.
    Best when all thrown in together and simmer on low for 8 hours
    or so.. Enjoy!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I’m obsessed with this crockpot baked potato soup: http://4thesakeofcake.com/?p=1848

Melissa October 4, 2012 at 5:39 pm

We just made this the other day: http://dancingforfood.com/2012/10/01/its-not-quite-the-weather-for-chili/. It was delish!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I don’t have a crockpot (that needs to change!) but my sister once made some awesome pulled pork in hers!

Cristina October 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

I love this Moroccan chicken & potato stew and <a href="http://www.cmroman.com/tag/slow-cooker/"this spiced tomato chickpea soup (which comes with a gift tag!)

Cristina October 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Cristina October 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love this Moroccan chicken & potato stew and a href=”http://www.cmroman.com/tag/slow-cooker/”>this spiced tomato chickpea soup (which comes with a gift tag!)

Cristina October 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

Whew- HTML is not my friend today :) I love this Moroccan chicken & potato stew and this spiced tomato chickpea soup (which comes with a gift tag!)

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

I love crockpot recipes especially in the cooler weather. I used to love when my mom would wake up early and throw something in the crockpot, so when I came home from school the entire house smelled of yumminess. My favorite is either beef stew w/ carrots, celery and potatoes, or a simply roast with onions. I feel like you cant really screw up a slow-cooker meal.

Mandy October 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love Santa Fe chicken in the crockpot.. chicken, black beans, corn, salsa, and brown rice if you like, but i leave the rice out! So good!

lynn @ the actor's diet October 7, 2012 at 12:46 am

here’s my recipe for vegan crockpot caramelized onions – perfect when you need to make a huge batch!

Steph @ 321delish October 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I heart my crockpot. Here’s my favorite recipe: http://321delish.com/2011/07/18/the-only-taco-recipe-youll-ever-need/

I’m actually making it tomorrow for my book club!

Nellie October 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

This looks great! I *really* need to sit down and go through the fitbloggin swag LOL

McKay October 18, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I can’t get enough of this Crock-pot Salsa Chicken recipe from He and She Eat Clean: http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/2012/02/he-and-she-slow-cook-salsa-chicken.html

I eat it alone, over salad and topped with avocado, in lettuce wraps, mixed in with eggs…SO versatile and yummy, plus clean/paleo-ish!