• Paddleboarding Adventures

August 23, 2012

Yesterday’s adventures including paddleboarding!

007 (480x640)

But first, breakfast!

Breakfast

All this talk about two-ingredient pancakes, I decided to make one myself for breakfast. I topped mine with fresh blueberries and a bunch of scoops of almond butter, but only one (of the many) is pictured. The reason I don’t snap pics of those additional spoonfuls of nut butter is because my plate/bowl is always a mushy mess and it just never looks appetizing in a photo. But, I can assure you that I eat a crapton of nut butter! For example, the jar of Justin’s that I bought on Saturday afternoon is just about gone, and I’m the only one eating it this week.

040 (640x480)

When I was making my pancake yesterday morning, I discovered a few more ways to improve my “technique.” The first, if you don’t have a food processor, is squishing the banana inside the peel before you use it. It’s so much easier to mash it up this way than by hand in a bowl.

001 (640x480)

The second was mixing the egg and mushy banana with a fork (or whisk) in a mug, so you can really whip it around and blend it together well.

037 (640x480)

And the third, which I didn’t snap a photo of, was using a little bit of olive oil in the pan instead of cooking spray. The olive oil made it easier to flip the pancake and it really fluffed up the egg. If you missed it, here’s my first post with tips for the perfect two-ingredient pancake. Happy pancake-ing!

Ok, onto paddleboarding! It was a beautiful day for it!

003 (640x480)

005 (640x480)

004 (640x480)

Mal and I arrived bright and early because we heard paddleboarding was much easier when the lake was calm first thing in the morning.

006 (640x480)

Mal was psyched to try paddleboarding.

008 (640x480)

I, however, was a tad nervous. (I’m scared of open water—even lakes!)

009 (640x480)

With the help of one of the lifeguards, Mal got on his paddleboard first.

010 (640x480)

He was a natural.

011 (640x480)

012 (480x640)013 (480x640)

Off he goes!

015 (640x480)

017 (640x480)

019 (640x480)

Then, it was my turn. Like Mal, one of the lifeguards helped me stabilize myself on the board. I thought I’d be really wobbly and fall off into the water a million times, but it was actually really easy to balance on the board.

021 (480x640)

Mal and I paddled all over the lake and down a little riverway into another small lake and back. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking, which made the experience even more amazing—definitely one I’ll never forget.

023 (640x480)

Paddleboarding was really cool, and I’m surprised how much I liked it, especially since I’m not usually a fan of water sports. Maybe I enjoyed paddleboarding so much because I never got wet? Ha!

024 (640x480)

After paddleboarding, Mal and I went to get iced coffees. Yes, ICED COFFEES!! Ok, well, he got an iced coffee, I got an iced decaf two-shot Americano, but close enough, especially when you havent had it it two weeks!

My father-in-law, who is a doctor, and my mother-in-law, who is a nurse, thought decaf coffee would probably be okay on my digestive system. I guess it’s the caffeine that really upsets things. I also read that espresso tends to be more friendly on the digestive system than coffee, so I opted for espresso over coffee. I also asked the barista to make my iced Americano with two shots instead of the usual three. Even though it’s vacation, I didn’t want to get too crazy!

028 (480x640)

I am SO HAPPY in this pic! Haha!

027 (640x480)

I enjoyed my iced Americano while lounging by the lake and reading The Box

031 (640x480)

The iced Americano was 16 ounces, so I didn’t push my luck and only drank about half of it and then gave the rest to my mother-in-law. It didn’t upset my stomach at all, but I’m still taking things slow with introducing new things back into my diet.

Lunch

A little while later, Mal and I got hungry for lunch, so we grabbed something to eat at the little bistro right near the lake.

033 (640x480)

I went with a big salad topped with chicken breast.

034 (640x480)

After lunch, we snapped a quick pic by the water and then packed up our things to ride our bikes home.

035 (640x480)

041 (640x480)

042 (640x480)

038 (640x480)

Part II of our Wednesday adventures is coming up next!

Questions of the Day

Have you ever tried paddleboarding? If not, do you want to try it?

Have you ever tried surfing? If not, do you want to try it? (I *think* I do, but I’m scared of sharks!)

kristle August 23, 2012 at 6:21 pm

i’ve never done either of those things, but i’d try paddleboarding. do you go real fast, or is it peaceful and slowpaced?
    and about your nut butter addiction – thats gotta take a toll on your wallet! have you ever made them at home? i got peanut butter & co dark chocolate dreams, was surprised to see it so cheap at target. well it was a mistake to pick it up – oh my gosh i can’t stop heading back to the jar, it’ll be gone in a week! so yummy

Alek August 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I like surFing but open water and sharks ohh my:D ahhh

Nikki August 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Re: coffee. You can also take egg shells, remove the thin membrane, and put them in with your ground coffee before you make it. The calcium in the egg shell will cut down the acidity, which will make it easier on your stomach.

Gwen August 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm

You really do look happy and fantastic in that iced coffee pic! Hot stuff! What a beautiful vacation you two are enjoying!

Jenny August 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Ive paddle boarded & surfed several times but I definitely prefer paddleboarding (I’m with you, not a fan of water sports unless I can stay dry!). I’m actually taking a standup paddleboard yoga class next weekend which I’m really excited about!

Lauren August 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Looks like a blast! So glad you’re having a wonderful trip!

Katie August 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I want to try surfing so badly! Paddleboarding also seems interesting, but I feel like I’d have issues balancing. Loooove water sports so I’m up for all of it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I have always wanted to paddleboard! I was just talking about it today! It looks like so much fun!!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I think surfing would be fun but I am not sure I will ever be brave enough to try it. I have gone snorkeling before and that was a pretty big adventure for me!! Like you, open waters scare me. They are just so big and I am just so small!!

Debbie August 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I just put Oregon on my bucket list! It looks amazing!! Not to mention the boobs, the abs and Mal. You guys are the cutest couple!

Jamie August 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Your pictures are breathtaking!! I’m so envious of your trip. Paddleboarding is definitely on my list of things to do, soon! And I love that you did it in a lake versus an ocean. Hope you keep enjoying your great trip!!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy August 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Paddleboarding is on my “to try” list! I also have to say I don’t have the patience to make the pancake on the stove in the morning. I just toss it in the microwave. It’s not flat or pancake like but the ingredients are there and it’s fast…and easy. I’m lazy, but I’ll admit it! :)

Kelsey August 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Paddleboarding is such a great work out! You and Mal should come try it out on the North Shore. I lived in the Virgin Islands where SUP is very popular and went to California to get certified in SUPcore. I work for a SUP company in Salem, MA and I hold weekly SUPcore Fitness Classes! A resistance band, paddle, board, and water = insane core work out! I’d love to bring some Carrotsncake readers out for a paddle!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I love water sports, so I would love to try paddleboarding! I’ve actually never seen anywhere that offers it though, so I’ve never even had a chance to try it. Maybe the trend just hasn’t caught on here yet. :P

Brooke @ Pretty In Protein August 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You and Mal are so adorable! All these pictures are SO beautiful!

Sienna August 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’m so jealous of your trip! I loved the vacation I took to Oregon two summers ago. I love all the fun active outdoor activities! I actually have plans to go paddleboarding this weekend on Lake Michigan. I’m really hoping we are able to get boards and it’s not too popular. I think it’s a blast and have found you generally only end up in the water if you jump in on purpose to cool down.

Kelsey Y. August 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I REALLY love those shorts! What brand are they?
    And your blue blouse in the next post is gorgeous. Thought I would drop a comment!

Tina August 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Thanks! They’re Reebok!

Natalie August 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

I love paddleboarding! We did it on a mostly calm waterway, but my goal for next spring/summer is to try and do it oceanside.

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara August 24, 2012 at 8:15 am

I tried the surfing thing in high school. My mom even bought me a used board from a friend of hers. I really sucked at it, but I loved paddling out and just trying to catch a wave… Paddleboarding is something I want to try and I tell myself every year that I’m going to. Hasn’t happened. Yet! :)

Charlie (The Runner Beans) August 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

WOW, that scenery is seriously stunning!! I have read so much about paddleboarding, I want to give it a go. I’ve been surfing three times, one good, two bad. I had a panic attack whilst surfing in Peru with a non-English speaking instructor, NOT the best experience of my life!

Wendy Irene August 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

Tina, the scenery in the pictures is stunning. So beautiful to see! Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Friday and weekend!

Emily August 24, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi Tina,
    Your vacation looks amazing! I just wanted to comment and suggest that you wear shoes when you ride your bike instead of sandals. I recently had a very nasty bike accident between wooden planter and my toe when i was wearing sandals and just cruising a few blocks. Needless to say, I have had a weekend in the hospital, a toe reattachment, a few visits to the ER and am on crutches and a boot for 8-12 weeks. Just a little PSA because I would hate for it to happen to anyone else. :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

The scenery in these pictures is absolutely amazing! I can only imagine what it was like to paddle board on such a beautiful lake, and the lakeside pool? Awesome. You’re vacation really seems like a great one, the kind that I’d really enjoy. I have tried paddle boarding, and I like it but my upper body strength is nowhere near yours so I found it to be pretty difficult. And yes, I’ve always wanted to try surfing even though it seems really hard. I feel like the thrill of standing up and riding a wave would be a rush!

Ella August 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hello!! You (and Mal) should TOTALLY be fitness models. These photos should be in some sports magazine. My goodness, the abs on you!

Chelsea August 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

Love your pics! I just tried paddleboarding for the first time this summer and loved it. There’s nothing better than being able to try new things on vacation while staying active. We are in New Hampshire for the weekend at a wedding and this morning I saw a flyer for Paddleboard Yoga! Sounds pretty fun and challenging to me, wish we had more time to try it out!

Tina August 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Paddleboarding yoga sounds so fun!

Nataliya @irunforicecream August 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Holy abs, Tina!!!!
    By the way, you totally got me hooked on two-ingredient pancakes! I’ve had one every morning this week! It’s just so easy and delicious!

Amy Christine August 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Paddling Boarding is so much fun. I have done a few trips that involved them! My favorite to date was a camping/paddle board trip!

We rented the boards for the weekend and headed north up to one of the rivers. It ended up being a great weekend!!!

For the surfing comments, it is such a blast! I use to go almost every weekend for a couple of summers. Also had the chance to do it in Costa Rica which was epic!!

You don’t really think about the sharks to much, or at least I tried not to, lol. Minus that one time there was one about 10 feet away from me, I have to admit I freaked out a bit and became very still on my board!!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I definitely want to try out paddle boarding! I feel like it is such a celebrity thing to do haha. I would totally fall into the water but I guess it is better than falling on concrete!

Rachel August 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Hi! My sister just recommended your blog to me and I LOVE it! I actually just tried paddle boarding with my husband this week and loved it too (because you don’t get wet?!! – I think you’re right!)

Anne P. August 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Wow, gorgeous scenery! We’ve been going paddleboarding a lot lately here in DC on the Potomac River – so fun! I’ve written about it a few times – I agree the board was so much more stable than I thought it would be.

Tina August 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Miss you!

Becka @ simplybecka August 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Looks like so much fun. BTW did you know how great looking from CrossFit your getting Tina? Wow girl, you go. I think it’s time for a side by side photo again how CrossFit is really changing your body. Such inspiration, thanks Tina each day for your blog.

Katy August 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Do you do a kajillion crunches/sit ups or is that amazing tummy from cross fit? And add me to the list of people who are cracking up about all the boob comments!

Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution August 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Tina, your quads, arms and abs are a testament to Crossfit. You look incredible!

Melissa August 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Have been wanting to try paddleboarding for the past couple of years and just changed my desktop wallpaper to pictures of people doing it. Psyching myself up – need the confidence to try. Love that you tried it despite your fear and had a great time! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 24, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I would love to try Paddleboarding! I’m afraid of it because I’m sure I’d fall over several times but it would be a lot of fun and I’d enjoy at least trying it!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Your body looks amazing! And paddleboarding has been my summer goal but I have yet to try it! Everytime I have tried it’s been raining or crazy water :( Hope to soon!

Emily @ runningmyliferace August 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I went paddleboarding on a lake in Austin, TX and it was SO fun! Two weeks ago we were in San Diego for a family vacation, and we rented paddleboards for the ocean. Getting the board and paddle out past the breaking waves was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! Also, the ocean was choppy and it made it nearly impossible to stand on the board, but it was good to have a different and challenging workout. I’ve been surfing twice, and its fun, but also a lot of work to get past the breaking waves.

Kristina & Love and Zest August 24, 2012 at 9:35 pm

First time I went paddleboarding it was a total blast, and it was for a paddleboard yoga class. I thought it would be difficult to stand up and do yoga moves, but it wasn’t too terribly difficult.. only fell in once :)

Jess August 25, 2012 at 9:32 am

I need to try the two ingredient pancakes. Look so good and I love simple recipes!

Lindsay August 25, 2012 at 10:58 am

Girl! You should be proud of that pic, you are tone, fit, happy and proud! I love it! I also love the message you put out to be healthy and active~ no crazy diets, just real food and exercise, it is inspiring!
    I have only kayaked, but hope to try BOTH one day (and maybe surfing sooner as a Hawaii move may be in the mix for us!)

Mary August 25, 2012 at 11:54 am

Tina! More about the coffee- have you ever tried/head of the Toddy? It’s similar to a cold press, and brews with wayyy less acid! I also have digestive issues and cannot tolerate regular coffee (even decaf!). It might be something to look into.

Katy August 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

@Mary:

I was going to suggest toddy as well! I’ve never tried it, but heard it is so much easier to digest!

Tina August 26, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I really need to find this stuff! Sounds like a great option! :)

Kristy August 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I would like to try paddleboarding one day. I took my first surfing lesson this summer. I was completely afraid of sharks, but once I was into my lesson I forgot all about them and had a blast. I definitely recommend a surfing lesson!

luv what you do August 25, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I have been wanting to try stand up paddle boarding! I”m jealous of your gorgeious view!

eileen ann August 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

we just went paddle boarding in Rockport MA and it was fun. I also thought i would fall but didnt. I paddled around the harbor and to the break water but didn’t go out into the open ocean. the teenagers all did and had a blast,

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Fun! I really want to try paddle boarding. PS – your body is insane.

Travis Ehrenstrom August 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm

In Bend the new paddle boarding trend is to actually ride whitewater.

I have a few friends who have gotten into it and they compare it to surfing with the emphasis being on balance and coordination. It sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Most of my friend’s who have converted to SUP are former kayakers.

I hope to try it soon!

Thanks for the great post!

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise September 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

I try to SUP on most waveless days out here. It’s an incredible workout and seeing the reef with a bird’s eye view is so different than sitting in the lineup or kayaking. I paddled right over a 5-6ft black tip shark last week and saw spotted eagle rays yesterday! Totally amazing! Anyway, a lot of surfers are anti SUP, but I think anything that gets people active and out in the water is a great thing all around! Good for you for giving it a go! Aloha from Maui!

Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise September 3, 2012 at 12:52 am

Oh and one more thing about sharks…I’ve been a avid surfer ( 2-5x a week ) for over 15 yrs and have only seen sharks about 5 times! And let me tell you, I am searching for them!! It is super rare to actually spot one so I hope that doesn’t hold anyone back from giving these amazing water sports a try!!!

Erica September 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Woahhhhhhh! Those abs!
    You look smokin in that bikini!

Kylie @ kalestorms.com May 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I recently found your website a few weeks ago and love it! I’ve seen these 2-ingredient pancake recipes around and have wanted to try them! Thanks for the extra tips. :)