• New Fitness (CrossFit) Goals

August 7, 2012

Hi, guys! Happy Tuesday! :mrgreen:

Check out who decided to get comfy in my office chair this afternoon:

_MG_9413 (750x499)

Working hard or hardly working? He’s so darn cute.

Breakfast

Today’s breakfast was almond butter, banana, chia seeds, and cinnamon in a whole wheat wrap with a glass of iced coffee with almond milk in it. I know I’ve been super boring with my breakfasts lately, but I’m really loving this one. I swear, every morning I wake up and immediately think about it.

2012-08-07_1445

Lunch

After breakfast, I headed to NuVal for a few hours. I packed a simple lunch to take with me and eat there.

On the menu: salad made with baby spinach, roasted broccoli, and leftover Coconut Chicken. On the side: fresh strawberries.

Snack

When I got home from NuVal, I snacked on a sliced banana with raisins, chia seeds, and Teddie Peanut Butter. I’m a nut butter freak, so I went back for a second scoop of Teddie as soon as I finished the first one.

So, yesterday, I did something kind of crazy. Well, ok, it’s not that crazy, but I feel like it was a big deal for me. I told my coaches I want to take CrossFit more seriously. Obviously, I don’t expect to compete in the CrossFit Games or anything like that, but now that I’ve gotten my feet wet and know what CrossFit is all about, I really want to get better. Of course, “getting better” is a huge, fuzzy goal, so we chatted about some smaller, more measurable goals to work toward in the coming months. (I get a lot more done with a plan!)

The first goal we identified was increasing my upper body strength. I’m making progress, but in the CrossFit world, I have a long way to go. Right now, I can do three strict pull-ups (without kipping), so my coaches suggested working my way up to 10 in the next 8 weeks or so. Oh, boy. I just started a 5-3-1 strength program last week, so it should really help me with my new pull-up goal.

I also really want to improve on my skills (double-unders, handstand push-ups, toes-to-bar, muscle-ups, etc.), so instead of trying to get better at all of them at once, my coaches suggested focusing on one or two each month. This month, I picked kipping pull-ups (since I’ve been making some serious progress on them recently) and double-unders. I plan to get all Type-A with these skills and make a detailed calendar with lots of mini-goals to help keep me motivated. Even still, I definitely have my work cut out for me!

2012-08-07_1440

What fitness goal have you recently set for yourself? If you haven’t set one recently, make one for yourself right now and commit to it by leaving a comment!

P.S. Since we’re on the topic of risk-taking today, here’s a great post from Meagan about taking a risk and being glad that she did: why i was afraid to try crossfit & why i’m glad that i finally did.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Right now, my fitness goal is to complete Bodybuilding.com’s Livefit trainer.

I’m on Day 65 – so close!

luv what you do August 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Great goals! What a fantastic way to head into the fall. Can I set a goal to be an olympic vaulter : ) Does that sound realistic? Ha ha! I’d like to run a half marathon PR this year.

Hannah August 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i just set a new goal for myself too with crossfit. i always feel like i HAVE to run or do some extra cardio.. but it was wearing on me completely and i was struggling with squats and my legs were always tired. so i cut out running. its tough but i do want to get stronger and better at crossfit.i think i have this idea that i will gain wait if i dont run or anything. i have to stop doing that. i am excited to see how i will do. i am just getting the kipping idea, just need to get the leg aspect of it. also need to get straight pull ups. i STRUGGLE with double unders. but i am focusing on pull ups right now! cant wait to hear about your progress!!

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise August 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Haha, my dog likes to do similar things–puts herself in places so I can’t get work done. One time she put one of her toys on the keyboard of my laptop when I wasn’t looking; I think she was trying to tell me something.

Good luck with your CrossFit goals! My big fitness goal is training for the Chicago Marathon, but I also hope to be able to hit some trickier yoga poses someday as I continue my practice.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I’m hoping to run a 10k by the end of the year and hopefully a 1/2 marathon next year. It won’t be easy for me but I’m looking forward to working towards that goal.

And I’ll be honest, while walking around the grocery store this afternoon I saw wraps and ALMOST got some thinking about your breakfast. You’ve even got me craving them! ;)

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut August 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Don’t you just love waking up excited for breakfast?! It’s the best. Yours sounds tasty. :) Good going on the pullups. I can barely inch my nose under the bar for ONE! However, I kick butt at pushups and plank variations, so I don’t know what that means?! I love full body weight exercises, so I definitely want to get to work on my pullups. I also really want to make sure I push myself HARD twice a week—whether it’s with plyometrics or during a run. I workout consistently, but I know I’m capable of so much more!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Love the post! I’ve been setting goals with pull-ups to practice 2-3 times a week until I can do them alone, they kill me!!
    I also am signing up for a half marathon for October so I need to set running goals!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Just started training for my first relay race! Pretty excited but super nervous, too! But I’m training & running it with my husband so I have some serious support!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Must find Teddie butter!

Still slow on the “getting started with crossfit” wagon. I know, I know, just do it. I love your posts, keep the crossfit updates coming!

Khushboo August 8, 2012 at 5:13 am

I like that you set dates for your goals! Push ups have always been a weak area for me so I am working towards doing 20 full ones!

Chelsea @ Chelseaslovelys August 8, 2012 at 7:02 am

I definitely have to try a wrap like yours! It looks delish! What kind of wraps do you use?

Your goals look awesome! I’m sure you can do it. You are an inspiration to us all :)

Tina August 8, 2012 at 7:04 am

Check my Food FAQs! :)

CampingGirl August 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

I have started the couch 2 5k and would like to run a 5k in October.

Betsy E August 8, 2012 at 8:38 am

LOVE your blog – a new follower in the past few weeks! I’ve enjoyed playing catch up on your posts! My husband and I are going on our 4th month of CrossFit – I love your motivation!! Thank you!

I have a suggestion for your iced coffee…you said you like it strong?! Buy a iced cube freezer tray, fill it with coffee instead of water, freeze and VOILA, you have coffee cubes instead of ice cubes — as they melt they will refuse your drink with coffee instead of watering it down! =) Let me know if you like it!!!

Tina August 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

I really need to try the iced coffee cubes! I bet I would lovvveeeee it! Thanks for the suggestion!

So glad you found CNC! And happy to hear you’re CrossFit-ing! :)

Danielle August 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hi Tina – From reading your blog I’ve gotten very interested in CrossFit, but I’m intimidated because I mainly only run for exercise – I rarely lift weights so I’m nervous I wouldn’t be able to complete any of the exercises and it would be embarrassing. Do you have any advice? Thanks!

Tina August 8, 2012 at 9:41 am

Hi Danielle! Don’t be intimidated. You’ll do great! Check out these two posts for some advice.

Kara August 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’d like to run a marathon in April of 2013. Also, I’d like to run a half marathon in 1 hour 45 minutes. Lastly, a long term goal – I’d like to become a yoga instructor. Thanks for the encouragement to get goals written down!

jen August 8, 2012 at 9:32 am

hey i love this post! i’m a goal-setter also. currently, my goal is to reach the “500 club” – meaning if you add the weights on my one rep max for: back squat, bench press and dead lift – you get to 500 lbs. right now i’m stuck at 487, which is 185 squat, 115 bench and 187 dead lift. i love having something to work on! good luck – i can’t do kipping pullups to save my life! i need more practice.

Tina August 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

500 club! Love that! Great goal!

Lily August 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

So I made some coconut chicken last night but isntead of Broccoli I did brussel sprouts and omg… It was delicious, best chicken I’ve had in a while. I like to share that I dont really try recipes because I sort of suck when it comes to cooking, but I couldn’t wait to try that recipe… thanks for sharing !!!!

Tina August 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

So glad you liked it! It’s delicious, right!?!

Carolyn August 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hi Tina,

I recently started Crossfit (just completed my 2nd class) and I am really struggling with muscle soreness. I am working and using muscles that I have almost never used before and I can definitely feel it! Is this something that gets better with time?? Eventually I’d like to WOD a few times a week, but right now it only seems feasible to attend once a week due to soreness.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Tina August 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

So happy to hear you tried CrossFit! The soreness does get easier, but it really just depends on the workout, your body, etc. I’m almost always sore after a CrossFit workout, but it’s usually nothing too crazy. Hang in there! As they often say in CrossFit, “it never gets it easier, it just sucks less.”

Kristen August 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

My goal for August has been to do “real” pushups on my toes instead of on my knees. I can do about 5 now before having to switch over so I’m hoping that by the end of the month I can say bye-bye to knee pushups completely.

Tina August 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Great goal! :)

Julie August 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh I have set many new goals for myself. I think I’m bored with my gym, though. I need to look into other stuff.

Tina August 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

CrossFit! :) Seriously though, when I got bored with the same old stuff at the gym, I checked out CrossFit and my life hasn’t been the same since!

Thais @ eatsnmiles August 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

My goal this month is to PR at my upcoming half- marathon, and my goal for the rest of the year is to focus more on strength training! :)

Becki @Fight4Wellness August 8, 2012 at 10:31 am

I too want to improve my upper body strength. I just started CrossFit and my goal is to be able to do a pull up by the summer’s end. We’ll see how that goes. I’m also aiming for a PR at the BAA half marathon in October.

Stephanie @My Freckled Life August 8, 2012 at 10:38 am

What great goals Tina!! My current fitness goal is to be able to run 10 miles by the time I get married in November. My fiance and I are running our first half-marathon in January, so we want to make sure that we have enough of a base before we take a week off for our honeymoon to not have to start at base level in our training when we get back!

Nicki August 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’ve now taken four Intro to CrossFit classes at various boxes in NYC over the past month and I’m finally starting Elements on Monday at CFNYC! SO EXCITED and love this new goals post, good luck :)

Tina August 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

YAY!!! :)

Jenni August 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I started getting serious about strength training, and have been working hard towards it the last couple of weeks. I started taking BodyPump, and just tried BodyCombat – going back tomorrow!

crossfitfiend August 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We strive to make sure that crossfit goals meet a certain criteria in order for them to be attainable and helpful! We use the SMART goal guidelines and here is a cheat sheet for how to set these great goals:

S– specific, significant, stretching
    M – measurable, meaningful, motivational
    A – agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
    R – realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
    T – time-based, timely, tangible, trackable

Next time you’re setting your goal, make sure that it meets these guidelines, and also, make sure to TRACK THEM. If you’d like to find out more information, go to http://www.northrimcrossfit.com/blog/news/what-are-smart-goals.