• One-Legged Wonder

August 3, 2011

Murphy is rockin’ the one-legged sit lately.

Look at this dog! He’s so weird.

Ok, the pug is annoyed.

I guess I snapped too many pictures of the One-Legged Wonder.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a toasted blueberry Bagel Thin with sunflower butter spread on top. I haven’t seen the blueberry flavor in stores yet, so I was psyched that the Thomas folks sent me some to sample. They’re delicious and a nice change from the whole wheat flavor. Plus, I typically enjoy sweet foods for breakfast.

With breakfast, I also drank a smoothie made with iced coffee, frozen banana, vanilla protein powder, and soy milk.

Workout

After breakfast, I got dressed to exercise. I had planned to do a speed workout, but I just wasn’t feeling it, so I headed to the gym instead. There, I did a combo elliptical + treadmill workout:

• 10 minutes: elliptical
    • 10 minutes: power walk on treadmill
    • 5 minutes: easy run on treadmill
    • 10 minutes: running intervals on treadmill (1 min. sprint; 1 min. jog)
    • 10 minutes: elliptical

Total: 45 minutes

I haven’t done a workout with two different cardio machines in a long time, but it’s a great way to mix things up. It’s also a lot easier to do in the summertime when the gym isn’t as crowded.

Snack

After the gym, I was hungry for lunch, but it was only 11:00, so I made myself another iced coffee mixed with protein powder and soy milk. I <3 iced coffee.

Lunch

A little while later, it was time for lunch. The One-Legged Wonder kept me company in the kitchen while I chopped veggies.

He was rewarded for his efforts.

I made myself a big salad with tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, celery, crumbled feta (from my friend Bridget), and Goddess Dressing drizzled on top. It was a great salad.

Now, Mal, Murphy, and I are off to the dog park. The pug has a lot of pent-up energy and needs to run it off. I think Mal does too. The two of them have been running around the house yelling (Mal) and barking (Murphy & Mal) all morning long! It’s never a dull day in our house.

claire August 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

My shih tzu sits the SAME way, it’s so weird. I call it “his fancy way of sitting” haha.

Maria August 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm

He’s so cute! My dog does this 1/2 squat thing, almost looks like he’s peeing, but he just sits wierd like that. Do you know when they’re supposed to be getting the blueberry bagel thins in the store?

Tina August 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm

@Maria: @Liz @ Tip Top Shape: @Liz @ Tip Top Shape: @Maria: Im not sure. Maybe it says on their website?

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ha, those pics of Murphy had me laughing!!! He really is adorable! Those blueberry bagel thins sound awesome!! Did they tell you when they might be in stores?

Corrie Anne August 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love the cardio machine mash-ups! It helps take your mind off what you’re doing if you just need to zone out and sweat it out! :)

Amanda August 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

As always, Murphy is adorable! I love it when our cats, Barry and Gracie, sit in an unusual way, or places. For example, when Dear Hubby was ready to leave the house for an overnight, Gracie (all 17 pounds of her) was laying on the backpack in protest. Make room for me too!

Anne @strawberryjampackedlife.com August 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Is that more of a relaxed sit? That’s sort of how our little April sits, so when I see dog sitting “perfectly” I find it funny looking. She just leans to one side.

Kat August 3, 2011 at 4:21 pm
    Roz@weightingfor50 August 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Too funny!!! I think Murphy is doing pug yoga! Namaste!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Awww….so cute! I’m in love with your dog :)
    BTY…where did you get that stainless steel straw!? I’ve been looking for one but can’t find them anywhere!

Tina August 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

@Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun: They’re from my OpenSky shop and they are AWESOME! I went to find the link for you last night, but they’re sold out until Friday. Check back tomorrow if you want to buy them! https://opensky.com/carrotsncake

Alyssa (The Other One) August 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Mmmmmm…blueberry bagels!
    Thanks for the pics of Murphy! Such a cutie!
    (Isn’t it funny how similar men and their dogs are?)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Haha love the one-leg sit :) have fun at the dog park!

Alex August 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Those are the cutest dog eyes I’ve ever seen…

Bridget August 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I bet you could get an entire Blog Dogs post with the “one legged” pose :)

Glad to see you’re using up the Feta!! I should probably get on that too ;)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm

He is so cute, I loved your commentry – “the pug is annoyed” – lol! :-D yay for a rocking workout and for listening to what you were craving fitness-wise! :-) Your eats looks so good. How do you make your iced coffee? It sounds yum, and so refreshing! xyx

Shari August 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Our dog was not allowed on the furniture, so she improvised a way so that she would rest one hip on the edge of the couch. Then she would look at you like “What, I am not actually on the furniture.” She was such a delightful dog.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm

He cracks me up! My dog sits do funny sometimes too. They’re so fun :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul August 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

hahaha he looks so funny! does he actually eat the veggies? It looks like he has a big question mark on his head lookin’ at that carrot :P

Tina August 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

@Ellie@fitforthesoul: He does! I LOVES carrots!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Aren’t bagel thins the best? I’m so used to eating them that when I had a “normal” size bagel today, I forgot how HUGE they are!

Skinny Fat Kid August 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Are the blueberry thins whole wheat too? Or no? I’m sure I’ll eat them either way. Just curious!

Tina August 4, 2011 at 7:17 am

@Skinny Fat Kid: They’re made with whole wheat flour and have 5 grams of fiber in them: http://www.thomas100calorie.com/our-products/product.aspx?sku=4812113538

Hilary August 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’m all about the cardio mixing…anything to pass the time quicker! And I’ve tried blueberry breakfast thins (not bagels) – love them!

Delaney August 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm

HE is so cute! My pugs also sit with there back feet between the front. Pugs are the BEST! : D

Amy @ ahealthyandhappyheart August 3, 2011 at 6:59 pm

In love with Murphy…my dog sits the same way sometimes! I would love to get inside a dog’s mind! Enjoy the dog park :0

lynn @ the actor's diet August 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

when my dog sits like that we say he’s sitting like a human

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I love all of the pug pictures! Murphy makes me happy. :)

deb August 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm

He’s not the one-legged wonder…he’s just striking a pose for the camera. So cute! :)

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

When my pug was just a babe (he now lives with my cousin because she has so much more time and takes fabulous care of him) he would do this weird limping thing with one of his legs when he had to go. It was so weird it actually scared me at first! I was so afraid something was wrong with his leg. Nope. He was just a weirdo hahaha

I have actually seen the blueberry flavor… I almost bought them but was afraid it may have that weird artificial blueberry taste… Did you get that from this flavor??

Hope the park was fun and that your boys were able to expend all that energy!

Tina August 4, 2011 at 7:18 am

@Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites: No, just a blueberry flavor! :)

Ali @ Ali Runs August 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My dogs sit like that ALL THE TIME!! It’s the weirdest thing ever, I wonder if there is a reason behind it?

Molly @ RDexposed August 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I LOOOVE watching the slow slide of the leg of the one-leg sitting position!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I imagine those bagel thins tasting like a blueberry muffin. I bet they’re delicious!

CJ Weaber @ http://cjh002.wordpress.com/ August 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I love the blueberry bagel thins! I also love the new breakfast flats I think they are called! I saw them at wegmans and picked them up. Blueberry and cinnamon raisin! Thomas certainly does make breakfast delightful!

Kristen, Sweetly August 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I just posted about cold-brewed iced coffee from the Pioneer Woman! I am completely on board. It’s made the week feel so much summery, even when I’m stuck at work in the morning instead of at the beach.

Jillian @ sprinkle massacre August 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

This is so bad, but my ex-boyfriend (he’s married now, I am in a serious relationship, which is why I say “bad” lol) from years ago had 2 pugs and I remember them both sitting like that. I kept all of the pictures of them because they are SO cute. I will have to post them somewhere for you to see, you’d die. I understand the pug love, they have such personalities!

The Healthy Engineer August 4, 2011 at 12:39 am

That strangely looks really comfortable.

If I were a dog, I’d sit like that!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 4, 2011 at 12:49 am

I laughed at how Murphy was sitting like that. But then again, dogs must look at humans like they’re crazy when they’re doing “down dog.” Haha just a different way to think about it ;)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 4, 2011 at 4:11 am

I love Murphy’s begging face! He looks so optimistic :)

Tiffany August 4, 2011 at 7:33 am

My pug Flora sits the same way! :)

Hope August 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love those pictures of Murphy! He looks so funny sitting like that! :)

VeggieGirl August 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

aww cute! I cant wait to take better photos of my Boston Terrier when I get my new T3i camera, so excited!

Melanie August 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

Murphy is so cute…and that sitting position is hilarious :)…check out the Paula Deen pug…this made me laugh!

Emilie August 4, 2011 at 10:03 am

I have seen a Shiba Inu sit that way, too! They seem to like to get their stretch on. :)

Laura @ Unchartered 20s August 4, 2011 at 11:26 am

Man, Murphy is SO CUTE!!! I cant get over it! I need a pug of my own. What is his personality like? Is he calm or crazy?

Tina August 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

@Laura @ Unchartered 20s: He’s a little of both. He’s mostly chill, but he likes to run around and act like a freak too!

Marissa August 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

That’s the way my dog sits too. I think its because he’s too fat, lol.

Erin August 4, 2011 at 11:47 am

Our dog, Sophie, sits like that, too! Except on an 80 lb. Saint Bernard mix it looks even goofier! I think their sitting style makes them beautifully unique, haha :)

whitney August 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

My English Bulldog, Sumo, sits the same way! Murphy’s personality reminds me a lot of Sumo’s in mini form…super comical without a clue they’re doing it! It makes me laugh everytime I read your blog.

A squished, wrinkly face only a mother could love :)

Julia August 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I tried out your elliptical/treadmill workout this morning! I loved it! I get really bored just running or just doing the elliptical, so this kept me on my toes a little bit and I burnt more calories in the process.

Megan August 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

SO FUNNY because I have a puggle (pug and beagle mix) and he just turned 1 and JUST started sitting like that too….totally out of the blue….he’s doing it all the time….I think he looks like a real person trying to sit that way!