• Murphy Turns Two & Birthday Astrology

June 14, 2011

What do Donald Trump, Boy George, and Murphy all have in common?

custom_1247691401380_trumphairboy-georgeIMG_8546

They all share the same birthday, which is TODAY! My little pug is two years old!

12652422
    2553
    26761271
    26392544
    2623
    26222668

Here’s Murphy the day we took him home:

I can’t get over how tiny he was! He’s such a monster pug now!

If you were reading CNC a year ago, you might remember this post: We’re Terrible Parents. It’s because Mal and I totally forgot about Murphy’s first birthday. A whole week went by before we remembered, so we made sure to make a big deal out of his birthday this year. (We’ve already sung happy birthday to him twice this morning.)

I spent $18 on the birthday dog yesterday. Well, technically, I only spent $3 because Grandma Dona gave Murphy a gift card for Christmas, so I finally cashed it in yesterday. Thanks, Grandma!

Mal and I were so excited about the goodies for Murphy, we let him have a toy on the eve of his birthday. Needless to say, the pug was PSYCHED!

Lots of playing ensued.

And then chewing.

And more chewing.

About 45 minutes later, this happened:

That didn’t’ take long! Dogs are so destructive!

Once the stuffing was removed, the playing continued.

Good toy.

Last Night’s Dinner

Last night’s dinner featured a couple of goodies from Trader Joe’s. The first: Veggie Kabobs! These babies were awesome! I don’t usually buy prepared foods, but the kabobs were totally worth the money, especially for the variety of veggies (zucchini, squash, three types of peppers, mushrooms, onions) and convenience.

Dinner also included Mac & Cheese Bites, which, clearly, I was psyched about trying.

The Mac & Cheese Bites were good, but not amazing. I’d grade them a B. The texture and consistency were great, but the cheese flavor was pretty bland.

Breakfast

For breakfast this morning, I ate half of a pink grapefruit and toast with TJ’s Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds. <— Holy amazing!

Have you ever heard of Birthday Astrology? Birthday Astrology combines the study of celestial bodies and birth dates to give revealing personality profiles. This link from TLC shares specific information for each sun sign and birthday, including relationship, goal, career, family, financial, and health characteristics. It’s really interesting. (For your birthday, click on your astrological sign and then scroll to your birthday for the profile.)

What does your birthday say about you? Do you think you share similar personality characteristics with other people born on the same day?

Abby June 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

Happy Birthday Murphy! :)

The Taurus description is quite accurate about certain traits I have. I am definitely stubborn, practical, and budget minded. I also like to think that I am well groomed lol!

The May 14th description is accurate when it says that “individuals value their own assessment of personal achievement and the approval of respected colleagues. They are self-critical and may not be able to appreciate their achievements. Until they learn that external validation is not the true measure of their success, they may feel unsatisfied by their efforts.” This is something I have been trying to be better about!

Elisabeth June 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

@Abby:

I’m a May 14th Taurus, too!! I’m somewhat like the descriptions, especially the part you quoted about being self-critical regarding person achievements… that’s definitely me!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 14, 2011 at 11:39 am

Happy birthday to Murphy! He definitely got spoiled with all those presents! I guess that makes up for last year though. ;)

mary (what's cookin' with mary) June 14, 2011 at 11:39 am

Happy birthday to Murphy !

My birthday is new years eve and I’ve never met anyone who shares my birthday with me… but I have noticed that capricorns are stubborn… and perhaps a little ocd ;P

Heather June 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

Happy bday Murph!!!
    That video is PRECIOUS! I am such a sucker for puppies!
    One of mine always rips toys to shreds as well, and the other one is so gentle with them. So weird.
    I love how tiny he was! Hard to believe since hes buddha dog now!

Clare @ Fitting It All In June 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

oh my gosh murphy was ADORABLE as a puppy!! happy bday!

Ali June 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

Awww yay! Happy Birthday, Murphy! You guys are the cutest family ever. I love it. Maybe for Murphy’s birthday you should get him a sibling puppy. Just saying. A Boston Terrier maybe? Or French Bulldog? ;)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 14, 2011 at 11:52 am

Happy Birthday to Murphy!!!

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) June 14, 2011 at 11:53 am

AGH. Murphy is the cutest thing ever!!!!!!

Sad to hear the mac and cheese bites weren’t AMAZING- I’ve been wanting to try them… Kabobs look great, though! :)

Alyssa June 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

Happy birthday, Murphy!!!!! (What a cute li’l puppy he was! And such a handsome fella now.)

I’m a Leo, and while I definitely have a creative side, I’m not what anyone would call outgoing or organized, lol!

Christine (The Raw Project) June 14, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Aw, happy birthday to Murphy! So cute! Too funny on the toy, I had a dog that used to rip out the squeakers in the first hour.

According to my sign, I have a strong maternal instinct and desire to keep my home well organized. Neither could be farther from the truth. :-P

Jamie@everydaydolce June 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Happy Birthday to Murphy! I think I might force my husband to go look for a pet pug today…I seriously can’t resist, they are the cutest things.
    I have wanted to try those Mac n’ Cheese bites from TJ’s for a while…glad to hear they aren’t anything amazing, if they were I would probably eat the entire box! A grapefruit sounds perfect right about now :)

Lauren June 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Happy birthday, Murphy!

Ananda June 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Oh yeah…. I was going to come back last night and tell you that the TJs Almond Butter with Flax Seed was also delicious but you already found it!

Brittany June 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’m not big into astrology, but a friend of mine who is says I share a lot of characteristics with other Cancers. Who knows!

I LOVE that video of Murphy, and that picture of The Donald is pretty terrific. :)

Kristacular June 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

He’s soooo stinkin’ adorable!!!!!!! I love pugs.. Nerd doesn’t sad day.

Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 14, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Happy birthday to Murphy!! My husband so wants a pug . . . I told him not as our first dog so we just got an Aussie Shepherd puppy!

I completely agree with 99% of my birthday zodiac. Libra Oct 13. I am creative, romantic, uh idealistic and am a writer/artist. Though I am FAR from decisive and can’t be a manager or organized to save my life. :D

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. June 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

It’s fun to see another person falling victim to the Trader Joe’s addiction. I work and live a couple block from one so I visit at least 3 times a week! Their eggplant hummus is a doosey! You should try it!

Khushboo June 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Happy bday to Murphy! U guys are going to make such great parents!

Stephanie @The Travelling Tastebuds June 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Murphy was so cute when he was a pup… those puppy dog eyes make my heart melt :) You should try the fried mac & cheese balls from Cheesecake Factory… SO GOOD! I wrote a post about it a long time ago if you’d like to check it out:

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Happy Birthday Murphy! I am SO loving all those adorable puppy pictures of him!

Laura @ Backstage Pass June 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Happy Birthday, Murphy! He was such a cute puppy!
    Okay, side note – I watched the video and have to comment, is that Mal’s voice on the video? His voice reminds me of Mark Wahlberg’s! I don’t mean any offense by that, I just find it humorous :-D It must the the Boston accent to my Midwestern ears, either that or because I just watched ‘The Fighter’. LOL!

Melissa @ Hungry Healthy Happy June 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm

YAY for Murphy’s Birthday!!! I think you guys made up for last year this time around. ;)

Wow. That birthday astrology is spot on for me. Kinda scary, actually!

Joanna B June 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I’m not into the b-day astrology thing, but I LOVE the flaxseed peanut butter from Trader Joe’s. THAT is another one of my favorites. I actually think all the nut butters are better at TJs than Whole Foods.

Lizzy @ runbakerace June 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Happy Birthday to your cute Pug! Pugs are so cute when they are little…they have to be on the cutest puppies.

Ryah June 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Your pug is sooooo adorable! Happy Birthday to Murphy. :)

Kelly Bean June 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Awwww! Happy Birthday, Murphy!!!

Murphy is exactly 2 days younger than my yellow Lab, Scout. She just turned 2 on Sunday. And as we are slightly obsessed with our dog, as well… we also sang to her. Twice.
    :-) There should probably be a support group for us.

Happy times!

Nicole @The Wine Diaries June 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love this post! Happy Birthday, Murphy! I remember when my Pug, Tello, first came home. I was holding him close to me and I accidentally tripped up the stairs. I didn’t drop him or fall or anything but he sort of has a fear of stairs now and I feel responsible. =( oops!

Shannon@HungryGazelle June 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These are the cutest pictures I’ve ever seen!! I had no idea that pug puppies were so cute!
    And random question, why do dogs always know that the toys humans buy are for them? I don’t always assume that all toys are mine. Right? Just some food for thought.

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

He was such an adorable, tiny little bugger! I can’t get over how innocent and bug-eyed he looked :) Happy birthday, Murphy! Enjoy the treats!

The Healthy Engineer June 14, 2011 at 2:29 pm

He was soooo cute when he was a puppy!! I want to see more puppy pictures :D

I love grapefruits…I think they are the best citrus out there

Anna June 14, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Happy birthday Murphy! Looks like he really enjoyed his birthday toys :)

erica June 14, 2011 at 3:17 pm

happy birthday to murphy!
    he’s so adorable! love the video!

Patricia June 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Happy Birthday, MURPHY!!!!!

janetha @ meals & moves June 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Happy birthday to your little man!

Grace June 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Adorable :D
    Happy Birthday Murphy!

Beth (Well Ill Be) June 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh my goodness puppy Murphy is killing me!

Molly @ RDexposed June 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Oh God! The pug can’t get any cuter! I actually baked doggie treats for all the dietitian’s dog last Christmas! They were low-fat and whole grain.

Pure2raw twins June 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Happy Birthday Murphy ;)

Mari June 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm

This post was so fun to read. Murphy has certainly had a wonderful day full of fun and treats!!

Shannon @ HerDogBlog June 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Happy Birthday, Murphy! Looks like you scored!

CheezyK June 14, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I can totally relate to the toy situation. We have two dogs and if they end up one on either end the toy has no chance!

Jeff June 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm

The best thing at TJ’s (besides the free samples and wine tasting) is the Chicken and Cilantro mini won tons, they are .5g fat for 5 of them and they are amazing. I usually reward myself with like 40 after a long run!

Jeff June 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm

@Jeff: PS, Come out to Oregon and tour some Willamette Valley wineries!

Hannah June 15, 2011 at 2:07 am

Happy birthday Murphy!!!

Skinny Fat Kid June 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Happy Birthday Murphy! You should try the stuffed toys with no stuffing. There are a few different kinds now. We got Izzy a few and those are her absolute favorites! The Beaver may have lost his nose and Pig lost his ear, but they have lasted quite a long time!

Katie June 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Happy Birthday to Murphy!

Thanks for the bday horoscope link! I have been obsessed with reading my horoscope lately so I’m excited for one that is my actual birthday.

Also, I have been eating that exact b-fast (toast w/ tj’s almond, flax butter) for 2+ weeks. Obsessed