• Sharing the Love

May 4, 2011

My gosh, I’ve been such a scatterbrain today. Listen to my morning so far.

Like every Wednesday morning, I woke up at 4:45 to run with Back on My Feet. I got on the highway to drive to Father Bill’s Place, but I missed the exit. I didn’t realize what did until two exits later, so I got off the highway and weaved my way back through Quincy. I ended up only being about 5 minutes late, but, jeez, I’m such a space cadet sometimes.

I had a nice workout with the Father Bill’s team at the outdoor track at the YMCA. I ran and walked with my buddy, Joe. We talked about everything from Walmart to falling asleep behind the wheel to oatmeal. (We both agreed that Starbucks makes a pretty awesome bowl of oatmeal.) We also had two new residents join our team this morning, which was very exciting!

On the way home from BOMF, I remembered that I forgot to make iced coffee last night, so I decided to stop at Marylou’s for one. Well, as soon as I walked inside, I realized that I didn’t have my wallet with me. Who am I!?! So, I got back into my car, stopped at home, grabbed my wallet, and headed back to Marylou’s. (At this point, I really wanted an iced coffee.)

I ordered a Toasted Coconut iced coffee with milk and a Girl Scout Cookie iced coffee for Mal.

Breakfast

At home, I made oatmeal mixed with quinoa, almond milk, dried cranberries, chia seeds, and a scoop of Teddie peanut butter for breakfast.

Last Night’s Dinner

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, Mal suggested burgers on the grill for dinner— but, sadly, we couldn’t get the grill to work.

I guess the propane isn’t getting to lighter? Mal said he could fix, but he didn’t want to take the time to do it last night, so we made our burgers on the stovetop instead.

And they were still delicious! I topped mine with cheddar cheese, tomato, ketchup, and a pickle. On the side: roasted broccoli. Dessert: Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Last night, I was thinking about my morning post and realized that I had no clue what to blog about, so I asked my Twitter buddies for some ideas:

2011-05-04_0802

I received all sorts of responses and great ideas, but my favorite of the bunch was from Heather:

2011-05-04_0800

What a fantastic idea— share my blogger love!

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a Blogroll to CNC for awhile now, but I’ve actually stopped reading a lot of the blogs that I used to read and added a whole bunch of new ones to my reader, so I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, ya know? But, a lot of people ask me about my favorite blogs so they can discover new ones (I love that too!), so here are just some of the new ones in my reader that I am loving lately:

What do you think of blogrolls? Should I add one to my blog?

P.S. Check me out on the Public Radio Kitchen and the Bee Well For Life blog!

Ashley @ Healthy Heroine May 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m a fan of blogrolls because it’s a great way to discover new blogs. Plus I’m just nosy and like to know what everybody else is reading. ;)

That toasted coconut iced coffee looks delish!

sarah (sarah learns) May 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

i really like checking out others’ blogrolls to find new blogs! that’s how i found most of the ones i follow now. :)

lynn @ the actor's diet May 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

yes please add a blogroll! i’d love to check out some new ones

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

I like blogrolls because it shares the love! :)

I would love it if you give my blog a look-see :)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine May 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love how everything at the start of your blog is bright pink and then BAM…man grill! lol

I really love blogrolls! That’s how I found so many great ones. That’s how I found you! It’s helpful for the blogging community to find great blogs and to be found by others.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 4, 2011 at 11:05 am

I think a Blog Roll is a great idea. It is another good way to tell readers about yourself and a great way for readers to find new good blogs to read.

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple May 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

I fully support blog rolls!! I think they’re such a great way to support the blogging community and share awesome blogs. That’s how I found you! (and most of the other blogs I read)

Anastasia May 4, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh my goodness.. those flavored iced coffees sound amazing! That coffee shop looks adorable!

I like blog rolls because it helps me find other sites I may have not known about otherwise. It’s how I came across your blog! :]

becca (bellebottoms) May 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

I like blogrolls! I like them not only for their help in finding new blogs to read, but also for the fact that it contains one of my favorite words….ROLLS!

BOOM.

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 4, 2011 at 11:46 am

I like blogrolls because the blogs that I typically add to my are ones that I really want to share with me because I think that they are great blogs.

Nacho Lindsay May 4, 2011 at 11:47 am

Ha, hate days like that! I wish it would finally warm up for good in the midwest so I can start pounding some iced coffee!

Malorie May 4, 2011 at 11:48 am

I really appreciate when bloggers have a list of their favorite blogs because…
    It’s kind of like when you’re shopping online and you pick out an item. Most likely, at the bottom of the page they have about five more items listed as “thing you might also like.” Or when shopping at barnesandnoble.com…If you pick a book, they list a few more and inform you that “other readers who chose this book, also purchased…” something like that.
    It’s the same thing blog rolls. We like your blog, so chances are, we will enjoy what you read as well. Thanks for your list! I added a few of them to my favorites :)

By the way..we have that same BBQ.
    It doesn’t work either.
    We left it in the rain (it’s california, light rain) one night and it’s completly broken. Underneath the rack got a little muddy and now it won’t light at all. We even tried to clean it out…nope. Hope that helps you a little…we are saving our pennies for a new one!

Tina May 4, 2011 at 11:58 am

@Malorie: Crap. I bet that’s what is wrong with ours. Thanks for the info!

Malorie May 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm

@Tina:

No problem! :)

Sarah W. May 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

I am in the middle of your book and got to the part about dropping your camera in beer

I did the same thing to my literally 2 months old birthday present, a canon point n shoot from my parents. Thankfully my fast acting smarty pants friends grabbed my camera from my hands, turned it off, pulled out the memory card and battery, and placed all threee items in a ziplock of dry white rice. After a week of letting the rice soak up the moisture, my camera still works! Here it is, 2 years later and I still use that camera. I dont think it really affected pic quality or anything, and it serves my purpose of being a point n shoot for when i dont want to bring my nice camera anywhere

just a tip! white rice next time! for any wet electronics! cell phones, cordless phone, ipod, etc.

Christine @ Burning It Off May 4, 2011 at 11:58 am

Don’t worry about it, everyone has those scatterbrain days where you forget everything and keep zoning out… it happens. And yes you should totally add a blogroll! Every blog I currently read I found through someone else’s blogroll.

Jess @atasteofconfidence May 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I love blogrolls— great ways to explore new blogs!

Brooke @ bittersweetb May 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I think blogrolls are really important to a blog. It let’s people know who you read and advertises other blogs. It really helps out the newer bloggers get their name out there and find new blogs to connect with. Blogrolls are how I learned all about different food blogs and it was actually Jenna’s blogroll that led me to yours!

RunEatRepeat May 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m still on the fence about blog rolls. I feel bad when I get emails from people asking me to be on their blog roll. Part of me wants to please everyone, but the other part thinks it will just hurt feelings…

Heather May 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I found all of my blogs through blogrolls, so I think they are good. It helps to advertise when you are just getting started too. There are so many great blogs we need to let each other know what’s out there!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I’m on the fence about blog rolls. I love seeing what blogs people read, but I agree that it could hurt others’ feelings :(

Kristin May 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for sharing the other blogs! I’ma newbie to the scene and am LOVING your blog!

Alaina May 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

There are so many blogs out there! I’d like to see which one’s you like. :-)

I need to head to Marylou’s for their inventive iced coffees! Those flavors sound amazing.

Aron May 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Awww thanks for linking me!!! I love your blog too, and I do love to see what other blogs other bloggers enjoy… although I haven’t done a blog roll either for mostly the same reasons – I have so many I read and just don’t want to leave anyone out!

shelby May 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for the shout out!

R @ Learning As I Chop May 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Quinoa in oatmeal? Hadn’t considered that before

Anna (munchingmamacita) May 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I do like blog rolls. They help me discover other amazing blogs out there and help spread the word! As for your off morning, oh have I been there! Sometimes I wonder if I turned off in my brain the allows me to function properly. Hopefully it’s turned on today during my exam!

Anna (munchingmamacita) May 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm

@Anna (munchingmamacita): *turned off the switch

Kristi May 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm

The flavors at Mary Lou’s sound amazing.

Lindsay May 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Waking up at 4:45am? No wonder you are a space cadet at times…I am still slobbering away soundly on my pillow at that point!! good for you for getting up and getting going! And I LOVE the blogroll, that is how I shop around for new ones to follow:) Happy Wednesday!

Lee May 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I actually click more on new blogs from comments than I do from blogrolls, but I see lots of my traffic coming from them, so I know plenty of people use them.

Jen May 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I actually just deleted my blogroll and found Google reader instead.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I think blog rolls are great because I’m curious to know which blogs my favorite writers like.

PS – Mal has awesome triceps! Hehe.

Tami May 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm

i think the upkeep of a blogroll is something that you don’t really have time for…never mind the hurt feelings, etc that people might/will have.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I’m the same way! I’m always changing and updating my reader… so I sometimes realize my Blogroll is outdated. I update mine all the time, though, and I find some of my favorite blogs from my favorite blogger’s blogrolls! I’d say it’s a do. ;)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I really want to visit Marlylou’s some day! I have an aunt who currently lives in Quincy, but I think by the time I get back to the state’s she’ll be gone. But they look sooooo good!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I think blogrolls are great because that’s how I find new blogs to read! Definitely do one, I’d love to learn more about your favorites!

Roz May 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I get more links through comments than a blogroll – but would love to see the blogs you recommend reading!

Lindsay May 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Hey Tina…
    Regarding lack of blog material, I wanted to say that I miss your dinner posts the most. Today is a bad example, but I feel you never post dinner anymore – yet this is the meal you tend to be the most creative with. I’m lacking in dinner ideas of my own lately, and would love to see some creative things you whip up! I don’t think I’m the only one when I say that we’d be a lot more interested in some cool dinner ideas than another oatmeal breakfast.

Just a thought, but whatever happened to that cookbook challenge you took on? That could stir up some ideas…

Wendy Irene May 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I struggle with the same thing about adding a blog roll. I don’t like to hurt feelings even though I know it is best to just be yourself.

Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) May 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Blogrolls are fun! You could always make a rotating blog roll based on themes (running, healthy recipes, baking, geographic location, etc).

Christine May 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I like when people do regular posts sharing what they’re reading right now or linking to recent posts from other bloggers they are liking right now. Eliminates blogroll maintenance and politics to a certain degree and still shares the love.

That said, as others may have mentioned, I found you through someone else’s blog roll and am now a multiple times a day reader…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I haven’t heard of a lot of the blogs that you linked to! I’m excited for some new ones to check out now. :D

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm

i think blogrolls are fun! it is an interesting way to find out about new blogs!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

You should add mine to your blogroll if ya do it ;) Haha. I think blogrolls are helpful!

Jennifer May 4, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Do you know of any cycling blogs that are similar to yours? I really enjoy reading your blog and will continue to do so. However, I have started cycling alot more than running and would like another blog to read for tips. Thanks!

Megan @ On The Road Again May 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I love blogrolls, especially from those who’ve been in the blog world for a while, because they allow me to get a better sense of what’s out there and what’s good.

I also like the Follow Friday or Five for Friday posts – that way you can see specifically what another blogger liked while getting a taste of some of their best writing.

Mia May 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I have to know what kind of grill that is – it’s so cute and the perfect size for our little backyard.

thanks!

sarah (the SHU box) May 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm

tina, thank you so much for the link love :) you know it’s right back at you!!

and yes i think shelby from eat drink run is the funniest person EVER (she’s awesome in person, too!)

Hannah May 5, 2011 at 12:13 am

Yay for link love! So many new bogs to investimigate!

Hannah May 5, 2011 at 12:13 am

*snicker* Or blogs…

Elizabeth May 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

@Hannah: I sort of love the idea of investigating bogs. :) Mmmm cranberries!