• 12th Annual Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer

May 2, 2011

This morning, I had the pleasure of attending a special event/press conference at the Boston Center for Adult Education to kick-off of the 12th annual Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer.

_MG_2197 (640x426)

Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer was designed to remember the special women in our lives and has raised more than $500,000 for breast cancer research, one sweet at a time. Restaurants, bakeries, and cafés from across Massachusetts dedicate one dessert off their menu to serve as the special Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer dessert from May 2nd – 8th, 2011.

_MG_2215 (640x426)

_MG_2220 (640x426)

This year, more than 275 restaurants, bakeries, cafés and chocolate shops throughout Massachusetts will participate in Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer. One hundred percent of proceeds will benefit breast cancer research and care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

_MG_2213 (640x426)

This morning’s event provided members of the media the opportunity to take photographs, shoot video, and hear remarks from Carol Brownman Sneider, Founder of Boston Bakes, Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz, and the family of the 2011 honoree Colleen O’ Farrell, who passed away earlier this year from triple negative breast cancer after a 2.5-year battle.

_MG_2227 (640x426)

We also had the opportunity to sample select desserts from some of the event’s participating chefs, restaurants, and bakeries including:

• Arthur Ackles, Marketing Director, Roche Brothers Supermarkets
    • Chris Bodington, Executive Chef & VP of Culinary, Not Your Average Joes
    • Joanne Chang, Pastry Chef & Owner, Flour Bakery
    • Diane Demarco, Pastry Chef & Owner, Cupcakery
    • Peter Dumas, Bakery Director, Roche Brothers Supermarkets
    • Todd English, Chef & Restaurateur, Figs, Olives, Kingfish Hall & Isabelle’s CurlyCakes
    • Tim Fonesca, Executive Pastry Chef, The Four Seasons Hotel Boston
    • Maura Kilpatrick, Pastry Chef, Oleana & Sofra Bakery & Café
    • Stephen Silverstein, Founder & Big Joe, Not Your Average Joes

_MG_2177 (640x426)

Holy yum!

_MG_2183 (640x426)

_MG_2194 (640x426)_MG_2185 (426x640)

_MG_2221 (640x426)

_MG_2192 (640x426)_MG_2205 (640x426)

At the event, I embraced my inner creeper and snapped photos of a couple of my favorite celebrity chefs: Todd English, who is a huge supporter of Boston Bakes. (His sister passed away of breast cancer at just 48-years-old.)

_MG_2199 (640x426)

And Joanne Chang, who has supported Boston Bakes every year since its conception.

_MG_2204 (640x426)

The coolest part of the event was The Cupcakory, a mobile cupcake truck serving the Boston area. I wish my neighborhood had one of these!

_MG_2233 (640x426)

If you happen to see The Cupcakory around the city, 100% of the proceeds from the Raspberry Lemon Cupcake go directly to Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer. (You can track the truck on Twitter!)

Of course, I had to try the Raspberry Lemon Cupcake. It’s made with lemon cake and raspberry Italian meringue buttercream, and it tasted absolutely divine. The frosting was especially amazing.

For a list of all of the establishments participating in this year’s Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer event, please visit http://www.bostonbakesforbreastcancer.org.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Tina, what an awesome post and an amazing event and cause.

All those baked goods look…wonderful and beautiful. WOW!

And not creeper-ish at all to ask for a pic with your fave chef…I totally would have done the same :)

Angela May 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

WOW, what a fantastic event for a great cause!! The baked goods look absolutely delicious. Sounds like a great morning. I wish we had a Cupcakory here too!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

It looks like Todd is looking right at you!

What a great event — and all of those desserts look amazing.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hahaha I love the line “I embraced my inner creeper.” I would totally do that!

Sounds like such a cool event, and for an incredible cause!

Shanna, Like Banana May 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

If I lived in Boston, I’d totally buy a raspberry lemon cupcake..heck I’d buy 3 or 4 ;)

Jordan P May 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Looks delicious, and this is a GREAT event! Wish I could be there to support it, my best friend (just turned 24) is a breast cancer survivor and anything that benefits the research to end this and support the survivors is top-notch in my book!

Ketty May 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Tina,

Such an amazing job you have :)

I live in Boston and look forward to buying cakes from The Cupcakory.

Thanks for posting!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday May 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

YUM! I’d love to have some of what Joanne Chang is cooking. Flour bakery is so good!

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) May 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I just received your book in the mail!!! I am very excited to read it. Congrats!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me May 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Yum, I love buttercream frosting. Cream cheese frosting is still my favorite though!

Jess (Sweet Potato) May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

What a lovely event!

Noya - gluttonandstudent May 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This event looks so nice and has such a great cause… and the desserts look awesome!

The Teenage Taste May 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Wow! All of those baked goods look delicious…and for a great cause too?! Wonderful! :-)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

i love how bake sales are such a grassroots way of fund raising. especially when it’s really really god treats!

Wendy Irene May 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Love the pictures from the event Tina! Happy May :)

Christine (The Raw Project) May 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

What a lovely event and cause, everything looks great!

Parita @ myinnershakti May 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Ohh thanks for sharing! I love cupcakes AND great causes…what a perfect combo!!!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Those sweets look positively delicious. And it’s just icing on the cake that the money goes towards Breast Cancer. How great that such top-tier chefs get together for this cause.

We have a cupcake truck here in NYC. It travels everywhere. And obvi, I follow them on Twitter :-)

Elaine Hughes May 2, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Those food photos look really nice! I really wanted to bite into one of those strawberry cupcakes. Love your blog, and please keep up the good work!

Serena May 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Those treats all look delicious, and it’s for a great cause! My grandfather has cancer so I know what it’s like.

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 2, 2011 at 6:08 pm

What a great organization. You’ve got to love the way you can combine a great cause and sweet treats.

Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Great cause and a delish way to support it!

Alyssa May 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

What a great event!
    (And a big shout out to the docs at Beth Israel Deaconess, who caught my mom’s breast cancer early enough that she is now in complete remission.)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Very cool event. Love that last shot. You look adorable!

Katy (The Singing Runner) May 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

What a cool and awesome event!

P.S- I’m almost done reading your book! LOVE it!!! :)

staceyhealthylife May 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm

What a fantastic and delicious event.

Sarah@The Flying ONION May 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

What a fabulous idea!! This is just one example of why I need to move to Boston. ;)

Molly May 2, 2011 at 7:32 pm

What a great event! I also just wanted to let you know (like so many others) how much I enjoy your blog. I am new to blogging and just came across yours the other day. I have really enjoyed browsing your articles! I am a huge fitness enthusiast and have always been passionate about sports/exercise and nutrition. I found CrossFit last year which changed my life and gave me a whole new perspective on my level of fitness. I loved being able to perform Olympic lifts and the versatility of the INTENSE workouts. Unfortunately, I got so wrapped up in keeping myself in perfect shape that I developed an unhealthy outlook on food. Everyone around me was adopting the Paleo diet and putting major restrictions on what they ate. I started to feel weak mentally because I could not fully commit to such a demanding lifestyle. I promise I am coming to a point! In finding your blog, I discovered that the way I feel about a healthy lifestyle is perfectly acceptable. I feel that cookies, ice cream, and other “off-limit” foods certainly DO have a place in a healthy lifestyle. Life is too short to not enjoy the things that make you happy. I am so happy to see you promoting a healthy style of living without the restrictions that so many other people deem necessary. Thank you! & Sorry for the extent of my rambling!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What a cool event and cause. WOW :) Those desserts look absolutely divine!!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka May 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

This is awesome-I am all about eating for a cause!

We don’t have any cupcake trucks here. Yet another reason why I need to move out of this city.

Molly @ RDexposed May 2, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I wish farmers market fundraisers could take over bake sale fundraisers. A dietitian can dream….

kate May 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

That cupcake looks delicious! I love Not Your Average Joes and make it a mission to dine at one whenever Im home.

Miriam May 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Amazing event – and desserts.
    I’m curious as to what Mr. English is like in person – he seems like a rather decent bloke.
    I will certainly be stalking the Cupcatory truck this week :)

Hilary May 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm

YUM! Looks like a great event….so delicious and love all the pink!

Kayla May 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm

This is such an awesome idea! I just received your book in the mail today & already can not put it down! :)

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life May 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Looks like a great event with delish desserts! I giggled when I read the part about you embracing your inner creeper! You can kinda see him looking at you out of the corner of his eye! Something similar happened to me the other day. I was taking a picture at the pool of our resort in Orange County, and totally didn’t notice until later looking at the pictures that there was a guy looking straight at me in the pictures…guess he thought he was hot stuff!

Also weird and totally true story — the UPS guy just showed up with your BOOK while I was writing this! :)

Cara May 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow my mouth is watering! I agree with everyone above that this is an awesome event and a great creative way to raise money!

Lu @ A Mix of it All May 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Is it wrong that I want a piece of that pink and white cake? For breakfast? Great deliciousness for a great cause.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm

How awesome is this bake sale! I am going to be in Boston this July for another breast cancer fundraiser.. the Susan G. Komen 3-day for a cure.. walking 60 miles over 3 days.. all to try and find a cure :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I plan on hitting up at least one of these locations. Sweet treats for a good cause. It doesn’t get better than that.

Daisey May 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm

As a 3 year breast cancer survivor, I think this is a great idea and thank you for being so supportive. Plus, those goodies look so amazingly good how can you not?? ;)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm

all those bakes look soo wonderful! And what a great cause!!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm

What an awesome organization! And I love Joanne Chang :D Looks like Todd English was creepin on you too ;)

Khushboo May 3, 2011 at 4:53 am

What an awesome cause and event! Nothing says “I care” more than baked goods! My mom was affected by breast cancer (but is fortunately fine now) so it’s something which is really dear to me! I am running a 5km to raise money this summer- small race but every little bit helps!

Hope May 3, 2011 at 8:34 am

What a great event for such a good cause! I love all of the treats! They look really good! That is crazy that Todd English was SO close to you! I have to agree with everyone else. It definitely looks like he is gazing at you in that picture! :)

Shannon May 3, 2011 at 9:01 am

This is such an incredible cause and a wonderful event! It’s really wonderful to see how active the restaurant industry is in important efforts like this. And I’m sorry, but I feel like everyone should get behind buying desserts to raise money for Breast Cancer research and care. It’s a tough sacrifice I’m sure, but yet, I think we can manage it.

Alaina May 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm

That looks like such a fun event! I love cupcakes!

I have to admit though, I’m not a huge Todd English fan. Give me Barbara Lynch and Joanne Chang any day. :-)

Pete O'Farrell May 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Thank you so much for spreading the word. Colleen, my wife, is the honoree this year and it is so nice to see her name attached to such a great event and cause. I was the guy who gulped really hard and got up to speak about Coll at the presser. I hope everyone gets out there and enjoys a treat, when you do think about the good it’s doing and hope that we soon won’t need to have any more honorees!

Live Life, Play Hard