• Pillsbury Bake-Off® Awards Ceremony

April 13, 2010

Last night, the judges at the 44th Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest selected four category winners. One of these category winners will be named the $1 million winner live on Oprah tomorrow!

The Eggland’s Best folks are especially excited because the winning recipe for Breakfast & Bunch category included EB eggs! Niki Plourde of Gardner, MA won with her Tomato-Basil Eggs Alfredo in Bread Baskets! Wahoo! :mrgreen:

IMG_0080.JPG

Congrats to Niki! She was so thrilled to win!

IMG_0075.JPG

[rewind to the beginning of the evening]

Before the awards ceremony, the finalists, media, and sponsors enjoyed a lovely cocktail reception at the hotel.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

At the reception, I tried a few of the passed appetizers.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

And enjoyed a glass of Chardonnay.

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

The awards ceremony was so swanky! Pillsbury really knows how to throw a party! I was definitely impressed. Check out the room!

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Blogger corner!

IMG_0019.JPG

The awards ceremony started with all of the 100 finalists parading onto the stage.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Sandra Lee announced the category and special prize winners at the awards ceremony.

IMG_0030.JPG

Along with the category winners, judges named three other award winners: the GE Imagination at Work Award, the Crisco is Cooking Award, and the Jif Peanut Butter Award.

IMG_0031.JPG

Heather Halonie won the GE Imagination at Work Award for her Turkey Club Sandwich Ring with Avocado Aioli. I didn’t try it at the Bake-Off, but it looked really good!

IMG_0033.JPG

Lenore Klass from Koloa, HI won the Jif Peanut Butter Award for her Banana-Peanut Butter Cream Tart. Doesn’t that sound delicious?!?

IMG_0037.JPG

Then, it was time to announce the four category winners: Breakfast & Brunches, Entertaining Appetizers, Dinner Made Easy, and Sweet Treats

IMG_0039.JPG

Breakfast & Brunches: Tomato-Basil Eggs Alfredo in Bread Baskets

IMG_0040.JPG

YAY!!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

Entertaining Appetizers: Salmon Pecan-Crusted Tartlets

IMG_0051.JPG

Dinner Made Easy: Zesty Lime-Fish Tacos

IMG_0055.JPG

Sweet Treats: Mini Ice Cream Cookie Cups

IMG_0057.JPG

Congrats to the winners! All four of these ladies will appear on the Oprah show tomorrow!

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

The winner’s were immediately whisked-away to a press conference.

IMG_0071.JPG

Attending the press conference was really cool! It was my first!

IMG_0085.JPG

The finalists were asked a number of questions about their winning recipes, sources of inspiration, and past contest experience. Sue Compton, who created the winning Sweet Treats recipe, found out about the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest from a newspaper– she doesn’t own a computer! Niki Pourde is currently a college student. She’s studying social work and hopes to win the money to pay for college.

IMG_0086.JPG

The winning recipes!

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

After the press conference, it was time for dinner. There were a number of food stations set up all over the room. I’ve been eating non-stop for three straight days, so I picked one of the “lighter” stations.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

I loaded up my plate with greens, veggies, and sweet plantains.

IMG_0111.JPG

After dinner, I hit the dessert display! ;-)

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

I tried a few different goodies.

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

A little while later, I grabbed a Blue Moon from the bar.

IMG_0119.JPG

New blog buddies: Carol & Jennifer! :-D

IMG_0125.JPG

After the event, a bunch of us hung out by the pool. I love bloggers! They’re good people! ;-)

IMG_0133.JPG

I leave for the airport in about an hour, and I still need to pack my suitcase. I hope everything fits!!! 8-O

See ya in Beantown!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 13, 2010 at 8:21 am

what an amazing experience! And so great that Eggland’s is included in the finals! Hopefully I’ll be able to tune into Oprah today to check it out!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs April 13, 2010 at 8:25 am

I can’t get over what an awesome time that looks like, it’s totally foodie heaven!! You are SO lucky you got to go!!! All those desserts look amaze :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 13, 2010 at 8:26 am

That must have been so exciting and so much fun! Award ceremonies always get me excited!!! Have a great flight home!

Anusce@ciao-chow April 13, 2010 at 8:26 am

I absolutely adore Sandra Lee and I cannot believe you saw her! She seems so full of energy in the pictures…..I am happy to know that you are meeting new food bloggers!!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 13, 2010 at 8:29 am

You must be totally sick of food by now.

Diana April 13, 2010 at 8:34 am

This looks so awesome and fun :) Have a safe trip!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 13, 2010 at 8:35 am

Wow it has to be so exciting for these ladies! I DVR-ed Oprah so I can see!

Jenny April 13, 2010 at 8:41 am

I am soooo jealous of your job!

Estela @ Weekly Bite April 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

What an incredible experience!!! Safe travels home!

Heather (runningwithsass.com) April 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

wow everything looks so awesome and fun!!

Midgetkeeper April 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

Congrats to the winner. It looks like an awesome time. You’re so very lucky!

Nicole April 13, 2010 at 8:56 am

What an incredible weekend, have a safe trip home!

Hannah April 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

Good luck to Niki!! I’m cranky that in Australia we get Oprah days late, so I won’t get to watch it live. Ah well…

Safe trip home!

Lauren @ Running Examiner April 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

Great recap, Tina! It sounds like you had so much fun at the Pillsbury Bake-Off. All of the finalists look so excited to have been selected…I wish they could all win! Their recipes look pretty good, too ;)

Safe, easy travels!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 13, 2010 at 9:02 am

That looks like so much fun — with all that amazing food, it would have been foodie heaven. :D

Teri [a foodie stays fit] April 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

oh my gosh, what an incredible event to attend! Thanks for the awesome coverage. :)

runnerforever April 13, 2010 at 9:09 am

I wish I got to go to that event, fun!

Ann @ Appalachian Appetites April 13, 2010 at 9:10 am

Everyone looks so happy! I think I’ll need to tune in to Oprah tomorrow :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 13, 2010 at 9:11 am

Wow that looks so awesome, and all the recipes sound delicious :-)

Whitney @ Whitinspired April 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

Geez…that party looks awesome!! And the winning recipes look yummy!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow that party looks so fun!!

Christina April 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

I love all the food displays. They look amazing! And I really want to try those ice cream cookie cups!

Paige April 13, 2010 at 9:28 am

Good luck to Niki! I’d love to see one of my fellow Central Massers win the grand prize!

Kathleen April 13, 2010 at 9:38 am

How fun! Food looked wonderful!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

Wow! What an experience!!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

Wow that is a great party. And congrats to the winners.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

What a fun event- that’s so amazing you got to go and experience it all!!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries April 13, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love this post for so many reasons! I love that you have been enjoying yourself and indulging without beating yourself up You aren’t, are you? Didn’t think so! :wink: That’s what mini vacations are for! Lettuce will also be back home when you arrive. This is what I tell myself on vacations! I also love all of the recipe names that won. I’d love to try them all. And, finally, I love that one of the finalists is from MA!!!! Thanks so much for blogging about this for us so we can experience it vicariously. You da’ woman! :smile:

Abby April 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

That is so exciting! Congrats to the wnning ladies! And everyone who participated!

And yes, bloggers *are* good people!! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 13, 2010 at 10:31 am

i would say they DEFINITELY know how to throw a party! and niki looks absolutely adorable! congrats to all the winners :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 13, 2010 at 10:41 am

oh man – Tina you have had some of the most delicious looking food setups while you’ve been away. You are right Pillsbury really does know how to do it.

Jaclyn@todayslady April 13, 2010 at 10:49 am

What an amazing work trip!! Looks like you had such a fun time and met some really great people!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) April 13, 2010 at 11:55 am

good job covering the event, tina – those winners all look so happy!

Lisa April 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hey Tina..can we say jealous :( Your trip looks amazing! And not to mention the weather.

I will so be tuning in to Oprah tomorrow rooting for Nikki! Let’s go Mass!!!!!

Laura@FindingAHealthyBalance....after a 100+ Pound weight loss!!! April 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Man, I wish I could have gone to the Bake Off since it is right in my own back yard, how exciting…..I have watched it on TV over the years and LOVE IT! =)

Wendy (Give Love Create Happiness) April 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I loved the pictures of the party, and am so excited now to see who wins tomorrow on Oprah!

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Wow all those desserts, yummy. Looks like a very fun awards ceremony.

Michelle Gauer April 16, 2010 at 12:16 am

Hi…great pics and story! I was a finalist from MN (Double chocolate-orange Scones). I know Laura Stanke…she actually received the GE innovation award and the Turkey Club received the Crisco Award…they are mixed up…thought you would like to know…Thanks for doing such a great job covering the event…it was fun to re-live it by looking at your great pics! Michelle <3