• OIAJ Tutorial

April 27, 2010

Good morning, folks! 😀

I’m going to a yoga class in a few minutes, so I need to whiz right through my breakfast post this morning. Hope ya don’t mind! 😉

Breakfast

I get a lot of questions about Oats In A Jar (I mean, A LOT), so I figured that a little OIAJ tutorial might be helpful.

IMG_0014.JPG

How to Make Oats In A Jar

Step 1: Cook your oats like you normally do– on the stovetop or in the microwave. Be sure to include all of your fun add-ins at this point.

IMG_0006.JPG

Step 2: Allow oats to cool a little bit– especially if you’re using a plastic nut butter jar. Otherwise, the heat of the oats will melt your jar.

Step 3: Pour oatmeal into empty nut butter jar.

IMG_0008.JPG

Step 4: Grab a spoon and enjoy your OIAJ! :mrgreen:

IMG_0010.JPG

In my OIAJ this morning:

• 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
    • 1/4 cup chocolate raspberry Mad Hectic oatmeal
    • 1 banana
    • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    • 1 cup water

IMG_0012.JPG

And, of course, I enjoyed a yummy glass of iced coffee with breakfast this morning.

This morning’s iced coffee was Chocolate Truffle with vanilla soy milk. Mmm! So good! It was like a cold, creamy chocolate-coffee milkshake. (You can buy this flavor in my shop! 😉 )

IMG_0021.JPG

It’s a deep one…

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

P.S. There’s a great deal on Eversave today: $30 for an hour massage! I just bought one! :mrgreen:

Lisa @ Early Morning Run April 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Souds really cheesy, but I’d make everyone a lot happier. I think happiness can be a catalyst for many other beneficial changes!

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale April 27, 2010 at 10:32 am

Wow – deep question! I would stop people from being closed-minded, especially about things like religion. Religion can be so divisive, because zealots often take on this “I’m right, you’re wrong” mentality. We can believe what we believe, and be spiritual, but no one truly knows whether one way is right and another is wrong. A lot of violence in the world ignites from differences in religious beliefs, and people being inflexible and intolerant of others, and that, to me, seems like such an oxymoron.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 27, 2010 at 10:44 am

I wish I could change the way the nation thinks about food. People don’t realize how bad 6 scones with butter and jelly is for you. I know my dad thinks of food as a treat, I wish he would think of it as fuel. The girls in my sorority all want to lose weight, but they don’t understand that the cinnamon rolls, m&m’s and fast food is killing their progress although they work out.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 27, 2010 at 10:58 am

I have a jar that’s RARIN TO GO in the fridge, maybe tomorrow for my OIAJ.

Whoa – deep question today. Hmmm I would have to say that I wish everyone would care about the consequences of their actions. From something as small as throwing a cigarette butt on the street, to things like public policy and foreign relations. That’s pretty general, and though I can’t believe how selfish and short sighted too many people in this world are.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) April 27, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love OIAJ! 😀

One thing? Hard to choose! Maybe I’d make food have no calories. 😉

Jenn

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 27, 2010 at 11:08 am

Mmmm… I looooove OIAJ!!!! Delicious!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) April 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

i love oats in a jar but i think it’s really really really important to mention that pouring hot oats into a plastic jar might not be a good idea – in the past, my label has come off and the plastic has warped and i don’t think that is necessarily safe, what with all the BPA’s and stuff….

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

I would change the fact that I’m in the job market and I’d already be in my dream career.

KIDDING.

One track mind right now. 🙂

Lisa April 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

The one thing I would change would be that all dogs and cats have happy and safe homes and aren’t homeless. It breaks my freakin’ heart. SPAY AND NEUTER your cats! It’s kitten season.

Ashley C April 27, 2010 at 11:44 am

I would change it the world to where I would wake up to an empty jar of pb for OIAJ every morning 🙂 Favorite breakfast ever.

Clearly Composed April 27, 2010 at 11:56 am

I am with one of the other readers above. I would have everyone do daily yoga. Can you imagine a world where everyone did? As far as OIAJ, I tried it after seeing it on either your blog or Kath’s and became an instant fan. It’s so very tasty. 🙂

Ann @ Turbo Teacher April 27, 2010 at 11:58 am

I feel like such a strange blogger ~ not liking oatmeal. Can you believe it??? Your posts always make me want to try to like it!!

Have a great day! 🙂

Tara @ Food for Fuel April 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oh my goodness, I love love love OIAJ! I had it yesterday morning and nothing makes me happier in the morning than a near empty almond butter jar!

skinnyrunner April 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm

id made cupcakes calorie-free. oh and world peace.

Julie April 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

The world itself or it’s inhabitants? If I were to change the world itself, I would make the countries closer so traveling wouldn’t take for-ev-er and as for it’s in habitants I would change small mindedness and negitivity.

alex April 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hmmm…that we could all be happy, healthy and in love with living life to the fullest!

Kacy April 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I think I’d ban Wal-mart and reintroduce local food buying/eating to the world. It’s so hard to beat the conglomerates.

Alison April 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I love oatmeal. I love nut butter. But, I don’t like them together; it’s something about the warm pb that turns me off. It’s okay on toast, but not on oats. Guess I’m not a good candidate for trying OIAJ.
    If I could change one thing about the world, I’d like for people to really and truly care how they treat others.

allison @ livingoneday April 27, 2010 at 12:48 pm

i love everyones comments!! i think if everyone on here who commented ruled the world, it would be a pretty sweet place! i would end hunger, intolerance, ignorance, etcetcetc the list goes on and on!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) April 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I made my 1st OIAJ this past weekend and all I have to say is YUM!

Lisa April 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I’m SO glad you posted this.
    I’m really not retarded….However, The first and only time I tried to make OIAJ I used a plastic container of P.B.
    I don’t know what I was thinking I never cook anything in plastic and try to avoid the microwave with cooking. Anyways, I added all the ingredients to the jar and put the whole thing in the microwave…..Let’s just say I ended up with MPOF….Melted, Plastic, Oats, Fail.
    Its was MESSY to clean…and the house smelled of burnt plastic! Ha!

Lee April 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I would get rid of war.

runnerforever April 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I would get rid of lies and cheating.
    P.S. Congrats on the progress on your book!

katie@ Fab.Fit.Full. April 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I would say I would want to change industrialized societies back to humanitarian production/consumption. This would reduce animal cruelty, processed foods(obesity), immigration issues and many other things that have gotten out of control.

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I would change the way we’ve gotten away from our sense of right and wrong. There is so much grey area that it is confusing.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope April 27, 2010 at 1:59 pm

ok, so besides world peace, I would do this: instead of everything being grown in this “conventional” way and “organic” being something you have to search for, I would switch it. Now, everything would automatically be organic and the stuff with pesticides would be labeled WITH PESTICIDES!!! yum.

Jamie April 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I think that the one thing I would change in the world would have to be to make everyone aware that the things they do will make an impact on the earth for generations to come. I really hate seeing people litter, people tossing cigarette butts out of car windows, seeing people choosing not to recycle, and those people that need a plastic bag for an item as small as a pen or pack of M&Ms that they are going to eat as soon as they get in the car.

Lindsey April 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm

THANK YOU! I tried OIAJ, but I (for whatever reason) thought it would be OK to put the jar in the microwave. Oooooops. Thank you!

Lorin April 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I had oats in a jar with breakfast this morning, so good! I always look forward to having a empty nut butter jar and using it for OIAJ.

Emilyeatsclean April 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I would change all the mean, hurtful people. WORLD PEACE 🙂

Hannah April 28, 2010 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I have been wondering about the plastic-jar issue, but it’s good to know it’s safe so long as you let the oats cool.

What would I change in the world? I’d like for people to recognise that every single person is just as human and capable of feeling/hurting as anyone else… maybe that might get rid of racism/sexism/homophobia/cruelty/etc…

Telefony October 6, 2010 at 4:18 am

I am a frequent reader of your blog posts. I liked the recent one and other posts on your blog so much that I have subscribed to the blog’s RSS feed in Thunderbird. Even thinking of stealing some ideas and put them to work. Keep all the good work going by posting more informative posts. Thank you. Time well spent on this post.

Cornell Leinen November 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

This site appears to recieve a large ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something useful or substantial to give info on is the most important factor.

Amber June 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Could I just use 1/2c rolled oats instead of the 1/4c rolled oats + 1/4c chocolate raspberry oats?