As you may know, in addition to blogging and freelance writing, I work full-time. I also have a looong commute, which takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on how crappy the T is that day. So, I receive lots of questions asking me how I am able to fit it all in. And, to be honest, I don’t have much free time, but I love blogging, so I make sure it’s part of my day. Here are some of my tips that help me balance a full-time job with blogging 2-3 times a day.
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier to blog
- Prepare (or mentally plan) your breakfast the night before
- Snap photos of your lunch (and snacks) when you photograph your breakfast
(If you take public transportation)
- If you have a laptop or a mini laptop/notebook, blog on your commute. Use Windows Live Writer or Ecto if you don’t have access to Wi-Fi.
- Use your phone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.) to read blogs on your commute
- Brainstorm ideas for your your next post and start a list
- Read magazines, books, etc. or listen to podcasts to inspire your next blog post
- Create a blog To Do list for later
Your Lunch Break
- Utilize your lunch break to blog
- Respond to emails and comments
- Read blogs
- Comment and participate in the blog community
- Explore new cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. to use as new blog post material
- Use Twitter, Facebook, and other modes of social media to market your blog
- Prepare posts, giveaways, etc. ahead of time to publish during the work week
- Ask for guest bloggers to contribute posts
- Streamline your weeknights as much as possible
What are your blogging tips?