• Guest Post: Vegan Cookbooks and Recipes

April 1, 2009

Hello all CNC readers!  I’m back for my 2nd guest post.  My current favorite cookbook is Veganomicon.  Its received rave reviews throughout the online and blog worlds.  I’ve been slowly cooking my way through the cookbook to show my hubby that one can eat good, nutritious, wholesom, filling foods as a vegan.  He’s more and more accepting my new way of life and thats AWESOME!  He understands that my stomach feels 10000x better since adopting a vegan diet, and my bloodwork is all GREAT!  That being said, here are a few of my favorite things from the cookbook:

• Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles - these are extremely decadent and unhealthy, but cholesterol free!  great as a Valentine’s morning treat or just a general dessert w/ ice cream on top!
    • Banana Nut Waffles – these.are.amazing.  Taste great slathered with some Earth Balance, chopped walnuts, banana slices and maple syrup – hubby was in heaven
    • Skillet Cornbread - I edited Isa’s recipe and added a 4oz can of green chilies – this bread was great with a warm veggie chili!
    • Guacamole – I think Isa stole my recipe. :-D She basically does exactly what I do, but she did add a pinch of cumin for a slight variation!  YUM!!!
    • Black Beans & Chipotle Adobo Sauce - heaven, especially when paired with the Mexican Millet
    • Mexican Millet - neither my hubby nor I had made millet before, it was very tasty!  A nice welcome change from our standard brown rice or quinoa. :-D
    • Jicama-Watercress-Avocado salad with Spicy Dressing - this was hands-down FANTASTIC – much different from your normal “green” salad.  We love love loved, the jicama and the dressing it soaked up!  The watercress/avocado/jicama combination makes it a great photogenic salad for a crowd.  It was very light and refreshing.  Hubby hadn’t really been a fan of jicama, I always have, but he said that the jicama was AMAZING – He loved it so much!
    • Banana Chocolate Chip Bread pudding - very very good!  Lots of chocolate & bananas!
    • Quinoa-Cashew-Pineapple stirfry - amazing amazing amazing!  I served a side of sugar snap peas on the side.

There are TONS of other yummy amazing recipes in the cookbook.  The famed Chickpea Cutlets & Mushroom Gravy; Lemon Bars; and Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Caramelized Onions & Sage Crumb Topping. I’ve been dying to make the lemon bars – would be a great summertime treat, I think!

I am also slowly getting into trying Isa’s Vegan With A Vengeance cookbook. I’ve only had one recipe from the book and it was theRaspberry Blackout Cake with Ganachey frosting - my mom baked me this cake for my birthday!  It was declicious!  There are tons of other recipes in the book that I am dying to try such as the pumpkin waffles, and matzah ball soup :-D I can’t wait. My mother-in-law actually stopped by the house yesterday and I offered her some of the cake my mom made me but she kind of wiggled her nose and didn’t want to try it because it was “vegan”. Ugh!

Isa & Terry also put out a Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World cookbook which is pretty well famed as well.  I do not currently own the cookbook (thinking about buying it soon though) but I’ve had some of the cupcakes from the book and they are fantastic!

Isa is releasing a Vegan Brunch cookbook May 2009 and I am very excited!  Its supposed to be brunch recipes for cooking for a crowd! We love having friends over, but get tired of doing dinners all the time so I really can’t wait to see what Isa comes up with.  I’m going to pre-order this soon!

Isa & Terry are also releasing a Vegan COOKIE cookbook in Fall 2009 or January 2010 (I’m hoping for Fall 2009 so that I do some crazy baking this holiday season!).  If you know me, then you know I LOVE cookies and I love baking cookies!  I’ve only tried my hand at 1 vegan cookie recipe in the past year and it was not very good!  I’m super psyched for this cookbook to come out. I already own several cookie cookbooks but since I’m now adhering to a mostly vegan diet, those cookbooks are no longer useful :( Here are some cookies that will be in the book – I can’t wait to make those pecan bars! and this

30 Day Vegan Challenge

Even if you are NOT vegan, it is definately worth it to buy the Veganomicon book (or any other of Isa’s cookbooks)!  Why not try having 1 day per week where you eat vegan all day? Or like Mark Bittman, be a vegan until 6pm and then anything goes after 6pm? OR you could join in on Ryan’s 30 day Vegan Challenge! You can even be vegan to join! Ryan challenges you to eat vegan for 30 days! I will be joining her because I am not quite fully vegan and would like to try my hand at it :-D  Who says Vegan food doesn’t kick butt or that vegans eat salad all.the.time.  Come visit my blog as I cook with  Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance! (Until I obtain other delicious vegan cookbooks of course!)

Jamie April 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Veganomicon is one of my favorite cookbooks, and I’m not even a vegan! I’ve made a bunch of recipes for my omnivore friends and they all love it!
    I can’t wait to check out the other books you mentioned.

Maria April 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Great recipes. I want to try the Vegan lifestyle, but am not sure if I could do it. Maybe one day a week??? I don’t eat meat, don’t like to eat eggs, don’t put butter on anything, I do drink skim milk though but only in my cereal and I could easily to soy. It is the baking that I can’t go without. I LOVE to bake with butter, eggs, etc. I guess I could still bake and not taste. I just love it. I usually don’t eat a ton of the sweets I bake anyways…we will see! Thanks for a great post. Sorry for rambling:)

Danica April 1, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Veganomicon. I have made so many recipes from it with my favorites being Snobby Joes, Pasta Della California and Banana Nut Waffles.

I also LOVE Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I have made a few of them already and nobody has known they are vegan.

I seriously recommend both books. You can check out my 7 week vegan challenge or vegan week to see pictures and some recipes for the above things I made. Just click my name

Great post and recipes ~ thanks so much for sharing.

Pearl April 1, 2009 at 11:44 pm

oh hmmm thank you for the recipe photos!

Hallie April 2, 2009 at 12:07 am

I also LOVE Veganomicon and I’m def not vegan. They have great, simple recipes, and some fancy ones too. (And honestly, a lot of the recipes have been blogged about and copied even though that’s not exactly ethical. I HIGHLY recommend buying it but I know money is tight so I just wanted to throw that out there :-))

Run Sarah April 2, 2009 at 12:11 am

Great post! I was looking at veganomicon at the bookstore but wasn’t convinced if I needed another cookbook since so many recipes are available online. Next time I get a giftcard or have some spare cash I will have to pick it up!

Marianne April 2, 2009 at 1:06 am

It’s great to see photos and reviews of some of the recipes in Veganomicon. I have the book, and so far have only tried out 3 recipes in it, but there are definitely alot that look awesome. I’ve been eyeing up the Pumpkin Ziti recipe every since I got the book :D

Leanne April 2, 2009 at 6:54 am

Wow I didn’t know this was a guest post at first and I kept thinking, “Tina, you already got us with an April Fool’s joke, we know you’re not vegan and you haven’t made these recipes…” LOL

coco April 2, 2009 at 7:15 am

great guest post with so many great vegan recipes with links! :D

Lauren April 2, 2009 at 7:19 am

I just bought Veganomicon, and I am IN LOVE. Great guest post!

Shelby April 2, 2009 at 9:05 am

Veganomicon is the best cookbook!

I love Chickpea Cutlets, Snobby Joes, Pasta Della California, Cornbread, Pineapple Stirfry, and many many more!

Lauren April 2, 2009 at 9:40 am

Where’s the link to your blog, am I missing something? You reference a bunch of sites, but I’m not sure which one is yours… I always flirt with the idea of going vegan. I’d be interested to check it out!

Melissa April 2, 2009 at 10:51 am

great post. amazing recipes nom nom nom

Ryan (Chase Daylight) April 2, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Veganomicon really is an amazing book and will essentially be my saving grace over during the Vegan Challenge! I’m excited about the brunch book and really want to try Vegan with a Vengeance! So many new exciting things, yay!

ttfn300 April 2, 2009 at 11:02 pm

i was wondering the same thing… who’s the guest???

Sarah W. April 15, 2009 at 10:26 am

I just realized I forgot to say who I was and my site – wow!!!

Maybe Tina would be willing to edit my post and add that information in – pretty important right?

mmmmmm the food looks sooooooo good all organized in that post! yum!! i’ve been eating good!