• Friday is Cookie Day

April 3, 2009

I’ve decided that Fridays are going to be “Cookie Day” for me. I know that you’re not supposed to “reward” yourself with food, but I don’t care! I eat well (most of the time), I exercise, and after a long week, a cookie is exactly what I need! Cookies are good for the soul! :mrgreen: Expect to see a lot more Friday cookies on the blog!

I am enjoying my Friday afternoon cookie with a cup of decaf coffee (with a sprinkle of cinnamon) at the Cafe Gato Rojo. I selected a soft and delicious oatmeal raisin cookie today. Its flavor is very cinnamon-y!

Lunch was Chobani Greek yogurt with Peace cereal mixed in…

… as well as carrot sticks and grape tomatoes.

I was hungry mid-morning, so I decided to snack on a grapefruit and a mug of tea. However, things didn’t work out the way I had hoped. Let me just say there’s a reason people don’t peel grapefruits like they do oranges or clementines!

Look at this carnage! I made such a mess of this poor grapefruit and then gave up on trying to eat it. Lesson learned.

Later this afternoon, the Dean is hosting a fancy-schmancy tea at her home– sounds quite lovely, doesn’t it? It’s the first event like this that I have helped coordinate, so I am super nervous about everything going well today. Wish me luck!

In the News

Planning ahead can be nutritious

More teen vegetarians raise concerns

Nutrition suffers as consumers trim grocery budgets

bobbi April 3, 2009 at 1:26 pm

love the idea of a cookie friday!!! Hey girl are you around the week of the 21st, would love to have you join our Boston Blogger meet up!!! You probably have a great place we could meet:)

Anna April 3, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I love grapefruit! However, they can be quite hard to eat. I cut them in half and then use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the insides. I am a teacher and I have a family that brings me a huge bag of grapefruit every week. They have the best grapefruit tree in the world, which produces grapefruit that easily pops out of the peel. It’s fabulous! Sorry yours wasn’t so great.

Kara April 3, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Cookies ARE good for the soul! And you deserve one! No need to rationalize it!

brandi April 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I love the idea of cookie day! Fridays may have to be “awesome chocolate day for me” :)

I bet the tea will go great! It sounds fun!

Missy (Missy Maintains) April 3, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Cookie day sounds great to me!! I will never pass that up! No tips on the grapefruit because I have the same issues when trying to cut one!

Danielle April 3, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Cookie day sounds like a great way to celebrate the end of the week!

Jennifer April 3, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I like your ideas. I hate the idea you shouldn’t reward yourself with food- why NOT?! if done in moderation (as you do).

Hallie April 3, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Totally agree on the cookie Friday thing! I just went with “muffin Friday,” And Thursday are always “cookie Thursdays because one of our volunteers brings in homemade treats…but like you said, we eat healthy most of the time and exercise, so there’s room for little treats now and then (at least, I hope so…jeans did feel tight this morning…)

coco April 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm

cookie day sounds great! :D
    great article,especially the last one!

VeggieGirl April 3, 2009 at 1:45 pm

HELL YES FOR COOKIE DAY!!!

Good luck tonight!!

AD April 3, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Tina,
    I LOVE grapefruit eaten as sections (you get all of the fruit!) – you just have to commit to the fact that you’re making a HUGE mess while you do it and then hose down afterwards. I find if I break it into individual sections and then pull the skin off from the middle- it usually comes off in one pull. Good luck!

Quinn April 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Good luck with your event!

K April 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Cookie day sounds like a great end of the week treat to me!

Christy April 3, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I do the same as Anna (above). I cut the grapefruit in half, then scoop out the insides with a grapefruit spoon. Somehow I still manage to create a mess! I will do 2-3 at a time and divide them up for the week. YUM!

Meghann April 3, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I agree Friday is a good cookie day. I treated myself to one too!

Maria April 3, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I love cookie days! I eat healthy most of the time and workout a lot so I allow myself treats, I don’t believe in diets, so if you want a cookie have one and ENJOY it! Everything in moderation!!

Anonymous April 3, 2009 at 2:41 pm

THAT WAS YOUR LUNCH? ARE YOU STARVING YOURSELF?

Nicole April 3, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Yes, I do love cookie day!

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday April 3, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hoooooray for cookie Friday!! Sounds like a great way to end the work week!

sue April 3, 2009 at 3:04 pm

friday cookies sound like a great idea to me! i’ve already had my fix :D good luck with the event!

Katie April 3, 2009 at 3:17 pm

A tea sounds like so much fun! I think I’m also going to declare Fridays “cookie day.”

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 3, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I fully support that idea! Come to think of it, I used to have a similar rule that Friday was “latte day,” but somewhere along the line that treat got dropped…what is up with that? Hmm, I may need to fix that right now.

Oh and I totally sympathize with your grapefruit disaster – for a while I would peel a gigantic one early in the week and bring in a couple sections to work each day, which worked alright, but I think I have come to accept the fact that grapefruits are best enjoyed the old fashioned way, by cutting in half and sticking a spoon in each section to avoid the membranes.

Happy weekend!

Run Sarah April 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Cookie day sounds like a great idea! I love cookies and coffee together too.

RunningWithin April 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’m totally a believer in “rewarding” yourself with a treat. I eat healthy the majority of the time, am very active and if I want frozen yogurt, wine, a cookie, etc., then I’m going to eat it and enjoy it! More power to ya for you and your cookie day : )

Erin April 3, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Teen, what a good idea. I used to have a Friday cookie day when I lived in Portland. No joke. We are so same!

Jennifer April 3, 2009 at 3:41 pm

That was a very light lunch… did the cookie sate your hunger?

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 3, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Mmmm I love cookie day!!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Cookie day — LOVE IT ;)

Shelby April 3, 2009 at 4:20 pm

WOO, cookie day sounds fn! =)

Lindsey (fiteats) April 3, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Oh, I am loving the cookie friday idea! Today was my easter candy friday… oops. :-)

Pearl April 3, 2009 at 5:31 pm

awww i’m sure your tea party will turn out fabulously! have a good time!

Meg April 3, 2009 at 8:48 pm

That cookie looks delish!! Oatmeal raisin are so under appreciated!

Anna April 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Tina, I fully support your designation of Friday as cookie day. Actually, I think everyday should be cookie day.

Hangry Pants April 4, 2009 at 8:35 am

Cookies ARE good for the soul!

Hope the tea went well.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats April 4, 2009 at 11:36 am

Ugh, big cookies make everything better…seriously!!

Joe Hrdlicka April 4, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Like the “cookie day” idea!

Ashley C. April 5, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Cookie Day sounds like a great idea :-D

Sarah English April 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm

LOL! I peel a grapefruit and eat it with otameal almost every morning! You feel like a monkey at first, but after a while you get used to it. I peel every bit of skin off of it and put it in a cup, then eat it with a fork – it is delicious!

*Andrea* April 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm

cold pizza = heavenly!!! i love your moderation abilities – i wish i could have cookie fridays but i would binge on like 10 of those cookies

dymphna December 5, 2009 at 2:54 am

I love your idea of cookie friday….I’m going to add this to my week as well. I recently started a blog for nursing home activity directors and would like to share this with them, if you don’t mind. I think it would be fun to exchange cookie recipes every Friday.