Hooray for pumpkin (and pugs)!
The blog world is crazy for pumpkin (myself included), so here’s a fun, little post devoted our favorite fall
Did you know”¦
- Pumpkin seeds are high in protein? There’s 12g in a one cup serving. [source]
- The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1,676 pounds? [source]
- Pumpkins are 90% water? [source]
- Adding pumpkin to your diet may help mild to moderate facial acne? Pumpkins are packed with zinc, which has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that may help calm irritated skin from the inside out. [source]
- The largest pumpkin pie ever made was over 5 feet in diameter and weighed over 350 pounds? It used 80 pounds of cooked pumpkin, 36 pounds of sugar, 12 dozen eggs, and took six hours to bake. [source]
- The word pumpkin originates from the word pepon, which is Greek for “large melon.” [source]
I’m a mega dork and love fun facts like these. I honestly can’t help myself. Plus, Mal and I always try to one-up each another with fun facts. We’re constantly trying to outdo/impress each other with our random knowledge, so these ones will be great ammo for tonight when he gets home. I bet he doesn’t know that the largest pumpkin pie ever made weighed over 350 pounds!
And while we’re talking about pumpkin, here are my favorite pumpkin recipes! Of course, the majority of them are baked goods because pumpkin rules in baking.
- Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- Pumpkin-Ginger Muffins
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
- Pumpkin Blondies
- Pumpkin Coconut Date Bars
- Pumpkin Date Nut Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Surprise, surprise! This morning’s breakfast included canned pumpkin– the first of the season! I actually had no problem finding it. My local Whole Foods had two varieties available.
In the mix:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- chia seeds
- peanut butter
- dried cranberries
Question of the Day
Share a fun fact!
The more random the better!