• 5 Healthy Starts to Your Mornings on the Road

April 17, 2014

This post was sponsored by Hyatt Place as part of its Seamless Travel Series. The opinions are my own and based on my experience.

Rise and shine!

Being on the road doesn’t mean taking a break from my healthy habits. Sure, I’ll splurge a little bit here and there – I mean, that’s the fun part about traveling, right?

I recently teamed up with Hyatt Place, serving as an expert with the Seamless Travel Series, to provide tips and advice about navigating healthy travel. Obviously, I am really excited about this opportunity, and my first post focuses on healthy starts to mornings on the road. I hope you enjoy it and find it helpful!

Having just stayed at Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South, I snapped some photos and wanted to share some of the ways I try to stick to my usual diet and exercise routines when I travel. That said, here are my top five tips for starting your morning off healthily!

Drink_Up__001

When I’m at home, one of my healthiest habits is drinking water throughout the day. But, when I travel, it’s not always that easy. I typically pack a reusable water bottle, which encourages me to drink up on the road. Even still, I sometimes end up getting a little dehydrated, so I make sure when I wake up to drink some water. That rush of cold water instantly gives me a boost and helps energize me for the day ahead.

If I’m really dragging in the morning, a cup of coffee always gets me going. At Hyatt Place, you can conveniently brew gourmet coffee in your room or pop down to the lobby for a complimentary cup of Starbucks coffee. Hey, sometimes you just need that jolt of caffeine, right?

sweat

I also love to start my day with a high-intensity sweat session. I’m a big fan of CrossFit-style workouts because they’re typically short and sweet, but really challenging at the same time. Even though I might only work out for 20 minutes, I always feel like I got a longer workout because I’m huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat by the end.

At Hyatt Place, you can exercise in the comfort of your own room, thanks to spacious accommodations with plenty of space to move. You can also take advantage of the free in-room Wi-Fi to stream exercise videos or your favorite playlists to accompany your workout.

Additionally, you can borrow free weights and/or a yoga mat from the Hyatt Place Odds & Ends program to further enhance your in-room workouts. How cool is that?

If you’re more of a gym person, the 24/7 Gym is open all hours of the day, so you can easily fit in a workout at any time. Have an early-morning meeting or plane to catch? No problem! You can get your sweat on before everyone wakes up.

eat_healthy_

After a tough workout, it’s important for me to refuel my body with nutritious foods. Hyatt Place offers a free breakfast with your stay, which makes eating a healthy meal right after a workout really easy.

Breakfast is always free and there are plenty of healthy options to choose from, including hot breakfast items, such as the “a.m. Kitchen Skillet” and oatmeal, as well as cold options, like cereal, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, and a variety of juices.

There were actually so many delicious options at breakfast; I had trouble deciding what I wanted to eat. I eventually ended up helping myself to a little bit of everything!

stay_motivated

Another thing I like to do to start my day off on the right foot is read my favorite blogs. (Did I mention that Hyatt Plaza has free Wi-Fi? Love that.) Many of them are related to healthy living and fitness, so I always find motivation and great ideas for continuing my healthy habits all day long.

plan_for_later

Once I’m moving in the morning, my attention focuses on continuing my healthy habits throughout the day. One thing I like to do when I travel is plan a nutritious snack for later. When I’m on the road, I don’t always have access to healthy options, so I plan ahead.

The 24/7 Gallery Market at Hyatt Place offers all sorts of nutritious and portable snacks made fresh daily, which makes healthy eating on-the-go a piece of cake!

When you travel, what is your favorite healthy way to start the day?

P.S. If you have any questions related to health, fitness, or food on the road, please leave them here. I will be answering them in the coming weeks!

Tara April 17, 2014 at 9:29 am

That hotel looks so nice!
    I love to get up and get out for a workout/run. Best way to start the day. Its hard when we are on vacation, bc my husband loves to lounge/relax in bed when he wakes up (since we dont get to this much at home) but as soon as my eyes are open, I need to be out bed and moving! I always bring back coffee and breakfast for us both.

Sally April 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

I stayed at a Hyatt Place in New Orleans for work last week – loved it! I was really impressed by the fitness center – the cardio equipment was really fancy, and loved that they had free weights. The breakfast was also great, it is often hard to find healthy choices on a breakfast bar – I was really impressed.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 17, 2014 at 9:51 am

Wow this hotel looks really impressive and well thought out! I have never stayed in one myself but it looks great!

Shel@PeachyPalate April 17, 2014 at 9:54 am

Sweat and Eat Healthy! :) Great post missus!

Brynn April 17, 2014 at 9:56 am

I love hotels that support healthy habits and make traveling easier. When I travel, I still like to start with a workout and healthy breakfast. It’s a great way to jump start the day!

Julie @ Coastal Runner Girl April 17, 2014 at 10:01 am

That hotel looks awesome!! I love how you can borrow all of those items. When I’m traveling, I try to start the day with an early morning gym session. That way I can get it over with before my hectic day begins! I usually follow it up with a light breakfast of yogurt, granola and fruit. :)

Erin April 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hotel looks nice but way too expensive.

Tina April 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

It’s actually really affordable for NYC, especially with breakfast included! 😄

Alison April 17, 2014 at 3:17 pm

@Tina: I disagree that it’s really affordable for NYC even with breakfast included. I actually live in NYC and I can tell you without a doubt that there are nicer hotels in much better locations for a better price.

Linh Vo of {A Beautiful RAWR} April 17, 2014 at 10:29 am

Great tips! Definitely a sweat session in the morning is the way to go! I love going outside for a run/walk to get some fresh air, do some sight seeing, and burning off some calories to start my day :) I also love high intensity sessions, especially tabata workouts.
    Linh

Ali April 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

I love their borrow menu! That’s awesome. When I stay there, I know the rooms are big enough to do a DVD too.

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 17, 2014 at 10:38 am

That’s really neat you can rent a yoga mat or weights.

To stay active, I bring a resistance tube with me to do a small workout in a hotel room. I also try to go on a hike or job to explore the area.

Got to stay moving on vacay! :)

Megan @ The Skinny-Life April 17, 2014 at 10:43 am

As a traveling IT consultant, I am definitely the queen of healthy and fit habits in the road. My favorite thing to do is to pick up a few groceries at a local market. That way I can stick my fridge with fresh veggies, fruits and water. O

Molly April 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

That Hyatt looks really nice. I love that you can rent stuff or visit the gym and free wifi is always great!

I really go away that much – I did go away this past weekend (just for one night) and we had already planned on finding a park to run at – its was nice to discover somewhere pretty :-)

Usually my trips are for work and we’re just driving an hour or two away, but this does make it hard to eat fresh.

I like to pack Larabars, Clif Kid Z Bars, almonds, and no-nitrate jerky, but I would really like to be able to bring some fruit or vegetables, but they’re so hard to travel with. Bananas are easy, but apples? – I like to slice my apples, not eat them straight from the apple. I brought a yogurt once and packed it with ice, but that was kind of weird – and what if I wasn’t hungry? It would go bad…what fresh fruits and veggies do you pack for car travel and how to you keep them fresh? How else do you stay healthy in the car?

Molly April 17, 2014 at 10:55 am

@Molly: whoops I don’t go away that much…

Kara April 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

I travel extensively for work and my favorite thing to do is check out local CrossFit gyms! It is a great way to get a good sweat on and also they usually have great tips on where I can find a clean dinner! I also make sure i pack quest bars for snacks or even breakfast on the run!

Clara April 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

I travel frequently and always question the healthiness of the eggs and sausage at the breakfast. I have heard the egss come out of a bag and are the sausage is also highly processed. Do you have anyginsight or views on this?

Funfitgirl April 17, 2014 at 11:25 am

My fiance is a lead Gallery Host at a Hyatt Place! I told him about the series you’re doing with Hyatt and he thought that was really cool! Hyatt is a great hotel :)

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner April 17, 2014 at 11:45 am

When I travel, I usually like to do my workouts right away in the morning so I can do whatever I want the rest of the day. The Hyatt looks awesome! Luxurious!

Carly April 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I travel every week for work and am often getting to my hotel late at night so am never motivated enough to get up early for a morning workout but would love to get into the habit! I try to eat as healthy as possible from what’s available at the hotel so breakfast is always a bowl of oatmeal or toast with peanut butter and banana. I never get to eat lunch so it often consists of an Odwalla, Lara, or other granola bar and some almonds. I try and take fruits with me sometimes but they always get bruised.

Alex @ Kenzie Life April 17, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love to bring packets of oatmeal with me and a baggie of ground flax seed. Along with a packet of nut butter it makes a really easy and healthy breakfast that you can make anywhere you have hot water.

Karen - Fit in France April 17, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE hotel gyms, they always have such great equipment as compared to my usual gym. And they are usually open 24/7.

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite April 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Great tips! I always like to pack some easy snacks to add to my breakfast- usually some almond butter to-go packs so if the breakfast spread it down to toast and fruit, I can at least have some banana almond butter toast!

Mari April 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I love staying at Hyatt hotels! I’ve always had pleasant stays at their hotels. I love starting my day with at least 5 minutes of meditation.

Shannon April 18, 2014 at 12:09 am

{I accidentally read your comment as “5 minutes of medication”…I was like, huh! Wow! Must be…fairly mild medication if you’re…taking it for 5 minutes straight…}

;)

Livi April 18, 2014 at 12:07 am

A sweat session in the morning definitely gets me started on the right foot!

Tricia April 18, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I actually hated the Hyatt Regency in Lake Tahoe (pricy for absolutely no reason) but Hyatt Place looks way better.