• Welcome Silk Bloggers

June 13, 2013

Greetings from Colorado! I’m spending the next two days with Silk as part of a new partnership with the brand. The company is hosting a group of bloggers—myself included—in Colorado, so we can meet the team and learn more about the Silk brand.

Silk Bloggers

[Disclaimer: Silk is compensating me for my participation in their blogger program, but, as always, the thoughts and opinions expressed on CNC are honest and all my own.]

This morning, I took an early flight from Boston to Denver. It was a direct flight, so I read a couple of magazines (Real Simple + Runner’s World) and, before I knew it, I was in Colorado. Easy-peasy.

At the Denver airport, I was greeted by a couple of the PR folks from Silk. A few other bloggers arrived around the same time, so we waited for their flights to land. Once everyone arrived, we all drove to the Silk headquarters (White Wave) in Broomfield, Colorado.

Silk_Blogger_Ambassadors_

On the drive, we took a quick stop at a café for a little pick-me-up.

IMG_1122

IMG_1125

I saw freshly pressed juice on the menu, so I opted for carrot-beet-ginger-apple juice instead of coffee. Mmm! I <3 juice!

IMG_1127

Then, it was onto Silk headquarters!

IMG_1128

Lunch

Once inside, we immediately headed to a conference room where we met the Silk team and the other bloggers on the trip. We also received gift bags with lots of goodies inside and ate lunch. My stomach was on East coast time, so I was more than happy to eat. I filled my plate with a piece of salmon, salad, and some roasted veggies.

IMG_1131

I also ate part of a Justin’s Milk Chocolate Almond candy bar, which was heavenly!

justin's_milk_chocolate_almond_bar_

Workout

After lunch, everyone took a ride to Boulder where we hiked Marshall Mesa Trailhead.

IMG_1133

The weather was hot and sunny this afternoon (I heard a rumor it was 90 degrees), but it was a dry heat, so it was much more bearable than the heat back home in Boston where the humidity really gets to ya.

IMG_1134

IMG_1139

IMG_1140

IMG_1141

Silk bloggers!

IMG_1142

Reunited with Monica! Yay!

IMG_1143

IMG_1146

Colorado is a seriously gorgeous place!

IMG_1147

Check out those mountains!

IMG_1148

After our hike, we rehydrated (with water) and then had a chance to try the new Silk Iced Latte, which comes in mocha and vanilla flavors.

IMG_1152

The Mocha Iced Latte was really amazing. It’s fairly thick so we added ice cubes to water it down a little bit. The flavor is chocolaty and sweet, but not insanely sweet. Even still, I’d probably add some iced coffee to it to lessen the sweetness a little more.

silk_iced_latte_

Once we had a chance to cool down and relax a little, we drove to our hotel for the night and checked-in.

IMG_1155

Great room!

IMG_1157

We had about an hour to kill before dinner, so I quickly showered, caught up with email, and chatted with Mal on the phone.

IMG_1159

Dinner

The group enjoyed dinner at SALT on Pearl Street in downtown Boulder.

IMG_1162

IMG_1167

IMG_1168

The meal started with some shared appetizers—meats, cheeses, and fried calamari.

IMG_1170

IMG_1171

IMG_1173

For the first course, we had a choice of salads and soups. I went with the roasted beet salad, which was served with arugula, orange and grapefruit slices, and a pistachio dressing. It was fresh, flavorful, and fabulous.

IMG_1177

For the main course, I went with the Smoked Roasted Alaskan Salmon, which was served with roasted potatoes, asparagus, and a horseradish yogurt sauce. I’m surprised I was in the mood for salmon after eating it for lunch, but I couldn’t turn it down. I love salmon, but I never make it at home, so when I see it on a menu at a restaurant, I just have to order it. It was really good!

IMG_1180

Dessert was easily the highlight of tonight’s dinner: Dark Chocolate Caramel Salt Tart.

IMG_1181

Holy yummmm. It was thick, rich, and incredibly decadent. I was pretty full after eating appetizers, salad, and salmon, but I still managed to eat almost the entire portion. Incredible.

IMG_1183

We have a big day ahead tomorrow—learning more about Silk, which includes a nutritional overview, a recipe workshop, and trying some new products (FYI: Silk makes yogurt now).

Have you ever been to Colorado?

Do you have any questions for Silk? I’ll be sure to ask them tomorrow!

Alyssa @ Road to RD June 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

Have a great time! I love the West Coast. It’s so beautiful and different from the East!

Letters from Lou June 13, 2013 at 11:44 am

I have been to that park in CO! Isn’t it breathtaking! Seriously, CO is the ONLY place I have ever been that I could definitely see myself moving to. It’s simply gorgeous. Have fun! #jealous!

Corrie Anne June 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You’re in my state!!!! :) I didn’t realize the Silk headquarters were in Broomfield. I’ve actually been wanting to try that latte drink.

Annie Atherton June 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I liked the idea of drinking Silk instead of milk all the time, but the more research I did, the more I wanted to get away from soy because of the presence of phytoestrogen, which mimics the hormone estrogen in a woman’s body. Can you ask them to speak about this and explain why it is OK to drink Silk regularly?

Thanks :)

Tina June 17, 2013 at 11:25 am

@Annie Atherton: We talked about this when I was at Silk. I’ll be sure to add their response to my next post. It surprised me!

Joy June 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I live in Boulder! It’s the best :) Glad you could come experience the beauty of the Rockies.

Ashley June 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This looks so fun! I’ve heard really good things about pre made iced coffees and lattes, especially when you mix half and half with regular iced coffee.

Jen June 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Welcome to CO- so glad you’re enjoying your visit & playing in the mountains. We moved to Fort Collins, CO from Ohio 12 years ago and absolutely love it!!

Nicole June 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Sounds like a wonderful time! My fave silk product is the chocolate almond milk <3

Lauren June 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Welcome to Colorado! I love Boulder – I hope it’s not too smoky up in Broomfield and Boulder with the fires going on down in the southern part of the state. Usually it’s even clearer and more beautiful out here!

Pattie Welch June 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Crema! Less then 1 block from my office. Wish I could have stopped by to say hello. Love your blog.

Aurora@Fitness is Sweet June 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hmm I would love to try Silk yogurt! I’ve been to Colorado quite a few times- I used to go their every year for a big softball tournament.

Lish June 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Welcome to my state!! I just moved to Denver about 6 months ago, but I love seeing all your pics of places I go all the time. My boyfriend and I run that same trail in Boulder pretty often. I had no idea the silk headquarters was located here!
    Have a great time and let me know if you need any tips or suggestions ;)

Maureen June 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

That beet salald sounds out of this world!! And that dessert? WOW!

Lindsay June 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Love the Silk pure almond and the new Silk Latte is on my shopping list for the weekend! Can’t wait to give it a try! Enjoy Colorado!

Kelly June 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Yes! Please ask Silk when they are going to get rid of the carrageenan from their products! Silk is a crap food in my opinion. http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2258280/pg1

Tina June 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I replied to this question above, but I will include more detailed info when I get it from Silk.

Sara K June 14, 2013 at 8:55 am

@Tina: I would be interested in hearing their reply as well. I do use Silk products but only the ones without carrageenan which luckily are the almond milks (love them!) They are the only almond milk brand that my store carries that doesn’t have carrageenan. I won’t try the latte drinks since they do have it. It’s really coming out how bad that ingredient is for our digestive systems. Thanks for following up with Silk Tina! Looks like you had a wonderful trip!!

Sarah June 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

What hotel are you staying in? I am going to Boulder next month

Tina June 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm

It was the Omni Interlocken Hotel! :)

Linda June 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Hi Tina,
    I was wondering what type of camera you use? I thought I remember reading once that it was a Canon but not sure. Looking for something thats more of a good quality point and shoot opposed to a DSLR. Thanks so much.
    Linda

Tina June 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I have the Canon S95 and love it!

Erika June 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Welcome to my beautiful state!! I live near and work in Boulder and love the views everyday. I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying it also. What was the coffee/juice cafe you were at?

Molly June 14, 2013 at 12:16 am

Hope you get to spend more time in Boulder before you leave! I went to school there and it is one of the best cities ever. If you get time try The Med on walnut or Mod Market in 28th street mall! Enjoy!!

Dadi Shroff June 14, 2013 at 3:15 am

Hey Tina I’ve been following your blog for a long time. Just a repeat question. Please ask Silk about carageenan . I’ve read that it’s not great for your health. Also as the soy produces phytoestrogen is it okay for guys to consume it in place of regular milk considering it produces more of a female hormone ? I love the taste of their chocolate soy milk but I ditched Silk and soy milk altogether because of these concerns. It would be great if you could ask them about this. On a side note Boulder is breathtakingly beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

Tina June 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

@Dadi Shroff: I’m waiting to hear back from Silk about the details/research on this, so I’ll be sure to include it in a future post on CNC!

Suzanne June 14, 2013 at 8:35 am

Just beautiful! I’ve been to Denver, would love to go back!

Have fun, love Silk’s almond milk…it’s my go to smoothie base!!

Ece June 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’ve seen the Silk Iced Lattes at the grocery store but it seems too good to be healthy for you. Can you ask them if they made it to be an easier way to get coffee for people that want to stay healthy or its just a fun coffee drink to moderately drink?

Tina June 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

@Ece: It’s both! :)

Kristi June 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I haven’t tried the silk Iced Lattes yet, but I’ve been eyeing it. It looks so good, but if I get it I might try and putting some iced coffee in it.

Tanya June 14, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Can you ask them what happened to the vanilla Silk soy yogurt? I used to be able to find it in big tubs and I used it to cook with. Can’t find anything but the fruity Silk yogurts now :(

Tina June 17, 2013 at 11:29 am

@Tanya: They discontinued it. :(

Tanya June 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm

@Tanya: @Tina: Thanks for letting me know! But I am so sad :(

Lindsay June 15, 2013 at 3:24 am

I lived in Colorado for a year after graduating. I lived just north of Denver, in Fort Collins and it is marked in my our “retirement dreams” for settling down in. CO is so active and a great place to be outdoors, but Denver and Boulder are hip enough for me to get my city fix!

Best CO memory: I took my Marine to Estes park after his deployment, and he just stood with his mouth open saying, “oh the greeeen”. I guess that’s a blessing after all that sand!

AJ June 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I want to go to CO so badly! Looks like you had an amazing time!!

-AJ