• Greetings from Portland, Oregon

June 28, 2013

Fitbloggin’ hasn’t even started yet, but I’m already having a fabulous time in Portland!

photo (2)

Once my flight landed in Portland this morning, I hopped on a shuttle to my hotel for the next few nights. The Nines is a gorgeous hotel in the heart of downtown, and it’s the location for the Fitbloggin’ conference.

IMG_1487

I love its modern, elegant décor. Check out my room!

IMG_1477

IMG_1486

So pretty!

IMG_1475

IMG_1484

IMG_1481IMG_1478

IMG_1479

Lunch

Once I got settled in my room, I met Anne, Gina, Ericka, Bobbi, and Heather for lunch at Luc Lac, a nearby Vietnamese restaurant, which came highly recommended.

pho

IMG_1494

I ordered the chicken salad, which was served with cabbage, fried shallots, and the most amazing lime-ginger dressing. It was an awesome salad with fresh, flavorful ingredients and a TON of chicken on it. It was definitely a satisfying meal, especially as my second lunch of the day.

IMG_1493

Ladies who lunch!

photo (1)

After lunch, we did a little shopping in Portland. Our first stop was Nordstrom Rack where I bought a new dress, which I totally didn’t need, but it was too cute to leave behind.

nordstrom rack dress

Our second stop was at Sephora where I bought the best mascara ever. (I ran out the other day and needed to restock.)

IMG_1496

Then, we walked to Voodoo Doughnut, which also came highly recommended. It was actually a must-see, and, of course, it did not disappoint!

There were so many ridiculously delicious-looking doughnuts in all sorts of crazy and unusual flavors.

Yummmmmm!

Dinner

After getting donuts, we headed back to the hotel to quickly change before going to dinner at the Portland City Grill, which had some amazing views!

Dinner dates: Julie, Anne, Ericka, and Heather.

Gina, Kasey, me, and Bobbi!

The Portland City Grill ended up being a lot fancier than we expected, so I ended up ordering a mixed green salad with chicken on top. It wasn’t the most exciting meal, but I wasn’t about to drop $40 on an entrée. Oh, well, the views of the city definitely made up for it!

Questions of the Day

Have you ever been to Portland? Any recommendations?

What’s your favorite type of mascara?

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara June 28, 2013 at 11:12 am

All that food looks amazing! I LOVE that mascara, its the only kind I wear since I found it last year! Although seeing some of the other comments about other good mascaras, it makes me want to branch out and try a little something different next time… Looks like you’ll be having a fabulous time :)

Alexis June 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

I try and hit up the Deschutes Brewery in the Pearl District whenever I’m in Portland (I’m actually heading to Portland tomorrow to meet with some of the vendors for our wedding). They always have cool experimental beers on tap, and they do pub food incredibly well. Have fun in Portland!

Kileen June 28, 2013 at 11:55 am

Yay!! I love when my fave fitness bloggers hang out together. I’ve never been to Portland but it looks like so much fun. Have a great time at Fitbloggin’!

Kate June 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

Voodoo Doughnuts – Maple Bacon Bar – Ah-MAZ-ing!
    Powell’s Books – its about a whole city block.
    Kenny and Zuke’s – great deli type lunch spot
    Beaker and Flask – Very cool bar with retro style cocktails

Le Pigeon – only if you want to break the bank and have a truly adventurous and out of this world dining experience.

and ANY FOOD TRUCK. I love Portland, its my ‘weekend getaway’ from Seattle. :)

Lindsay June 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’ve heard of Voodoo Donuts and wow, they look amazing! I’ve never been, but from what I hear, Portland sounds like a great city!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) June 28, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Mmmm yum– looooooooooooooove pho! And I totally remember that donut place from Man vs. Food -delish!

JC June 28, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Those doughnuts look delicious! Which one did you try?

Keeva June 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I live in Portland and saw some fit bloggers on the am news this am doing their workout at Pioneer Square, so cool!

Meredith June 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

If you have time you should eat at Pok Pok (amazing and authentic Thai place) or Screen Door for brunch!

Lisa June 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm

@Meredith: PokPok is definitely a must.

Christine June 28, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Tina, while you’re in Portland make sure you ride the streetcar, and hopefully one of first 3 “Made in the USA” streetcars! The new ones are super bright colors and will say United Streetcar on the front. They are the first ones made here in the US in over 60-years!

Also try: Barre3 in NW Portland, it’s is a fun (and super challenging) workout, then head over to the East side (via streetcar) and try Clark Lewis, Ambonnay (Champagne Bar), or Olympic Provisions and then possibly explore OMSI. NW/SW Portland have a lot to offer, but so does the East Side and people tend to forget it about. :)

Alyssa June 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I love that hotel room! That little chandelier is adorable.

I’m pretty sure that Voodoo Doughnut place has been on Man vs. Food. The owner is also allowed to marry people, so he’s married people in the doughnut shop.

I like CoverGirl’s exact eyelights for brown eyes. I don’t need any type of volumizing mascara because my lashes are kind of thick & long, so this one gives it just a little bit of a darker color.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Portland! :)

Alexandra June 28, 2013 at 1:57 pm

This post was deja vu for me. Last time I was in portland we went to the Nines and Luc Lack and yesterday I tried that exact same dress on at Nordstroms and bought that same mascara. I am from Seattle as well and 2nd Powells books, Sumpton under the Ace Hotel, any food truck, my favorite brewery is Rogue in the NW/Pearl District and then also be sure to try the rooftop happy hour in your hotel.

Margaret June 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I use to eat at Luc Lac all the time when I worked in the Federal Courthouse. But the only time I go to the grill is for drinks or is someone else is buying, but I agree the views are awesome and on a clear day you can see all of the mountains which I love.

If you have a chance walk up to the farmers market tomorrow morning. Its always tons of fun and in my opinion WAY better than the saturday market. The front desk at the Nines can give you direction to the park blocks. I also really like the rooftop bar in the Nines for a drink on a pretty evening. If I wasn’t meeting yoga friends today would be a great day to go.

Enjoy Stumptown!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl June 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I NEED to visit Portland and check out their beer scene. I know you’re there for a healthy-themed conference, but you MUST hit up a beer spot while there! I need to live vicariously through someone, lol. ;) Lookin’ good, lady!

Christina June 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I LOVE Portland! and i LOVE VooDoo Donuts. The maple bacon donut is to die for.

Lisa June 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

PCG is a great place for out of town guests. I always take them there, at least for Happy Hour, so they can see the views.

Angela June 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Voodoo is ok, but I heard Pip’s Original is even better!! Haven’t been myself…yet. The best way to do Portland City Grill is for happy hour. Cheap, delicious food with the amazing view! Urban farmer and departure in the nines are both good as well. I just loveeee the Nines. I had a work convention there a couple months ago and it’s just amazing! I want my future bathroom to look like that one day. :)

Suzanne Spray June 28, 2013 at 2:37 pm

For breakfast, BIJOU CAFE or MOTHER’S BISTRO! :-) You cannot pass up the SATURDAY ART MARKET by the river! I think it’s Saturday and Sunday’s :-) The Pearl District is awesome, too! Thai Peacock is a super yummy Thai restaurant in that area! The Portland Japanese Garden is a MUST see! Wish I could remember more things off the top of my head! Have a blast!

Liana@RunToMunch June 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

My dream is to visit portland! Watch Portlandia and tell me if its really like it is on TV?

Megan June 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

@Liana@RunToMunch: Yep, it’s really like Portlandia. As crazy as it seems Portlandia is pretty true to what Portland is like. Sure, it’s a little played up but there is much truth to the show.

Katy June 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Make sure to go to Salt and Straw on NW 23rd for ice cream!! Seriously!! #pdxforever #myhome

MegG June 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I’m not sure if you’ll have time, but Mother’s Bistro and Bar is amazing for brunch (really delicious drinks), I’d rank it top 5 in all my travels. The hotel looks fantastic, Portland is such a fun city, have a great time there!

brooke lyn June 28, 2013 at 4:40 pm

glad you’re enjoying my citay!

Rebeka June 28, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Ohhh I LOVE the nines. You guys should go to departure for dinner/drinks (the rooftop restaurant at the nines). Get the kale salad with the bacon vinaigrette, it was my favorite part of one of the best meals of my life.

Drink coffee at Stumptown, and get ice cream at Salt and Straw on NW 23rd st.

I hope you enjoy your time in Portland :):)

Mandy A June 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I JUST started using that mascara, too! I am ADDICTED!

Rachael @ Pizza, Run, Repeatza June 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm

It looks like you are having a good time! That hotel room is adorable. I’d love to stay there. Definitely beats the Super 8’s I end up at ;) Oh. and the donuts look amazing. The Cap’N Crunch one looks ridiculous!

Jody - Fit at 55 June 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

So much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am missing out as I see in al the amazing pics!!! Everyone was headed to that Voodoo donuts shop! :)

Alisa June 29, 2013 at 12:25 am

I love seeing you out and about, enjoying my city! Since you’re staying in downtown SW, try checking out Tasty and Alder (on SW Alder) for dinner. One of my favorites and all tapas style! And Kask is a good place to go for drinks, which is one block over. There are lots of great food carts, but I highly recommend Cultured Caveman. The chicken tenders are to die for and everything is completely gluten-free (it’s all paleo, in fact). I’m not sure how much time you have, but it’s fun to check out the different neighborhoods, like NW 23rd, Alberta, Mississippi, Hawthorne, etc. Additionally, renting a bike is a nice and fun way to see the city. A walk along the waterfront is always nice too…and free. Other favorite restaurants of mine include Cafe Nell, Dick’s Kitchen, Fireside, Tasty and Sons, and Besaws.

Erin June 29, 2013 at 12:36 am

Powells book store. The best book store ever!! I am a reader of several years and love your blog!! I was wondering if you have any experience with eating disorders or any good resources? I struggle with bulimia and haven’t found a good source that I would like to follow. Thanks

Angela June 29, 2013 at 7:38 am

@Erin: Hi Erin! I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with bulimia. I recommend you see your doctor about this who can put you in contact with a nutritionist and therapist who can help you get back on the right eating path. Help is out there for you and you don’t need to do it on your own.

Tina June 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m sorry to hear you are struggling with that. What about talking to your doctor or a therapist to point you in the right direction with some resources?

Debbie June 29, 2013 at 12:55 am

Loreal Paris Double Extend is my fave. It’s very thick and only requires one coat. And it washes off which I love.

I lived in Portland for 2 years. I did not like living there there but love visiting for a weekend.

My fave restuarant was Poc poc and also loved Voodoo donuts. Andina’s in the Pearl district has Peruvian food and is wonderful and Pambiche has great Cuban food.

Natalie June 29, 2013 at 12:57 am

If you get a chance check out the Paleo food cart Cultured Caveman. Dick’s Kitchen is also pretty good and paleo friendly. The Saucebox makes tasty cocktails and Teardrop Cocktail Lounge is supposed to be really good. Slappy cakes is also fun! Have fun in PDX.

Meg June 29, 2013 at 2:58 am

You must try Salt n Straw and Bollywood Theater in Pdx. I lived in Portland for 5 years and I really miss the beautiful city.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 29, 2013 at 3:18 am

Yum that vietnamese place looked like it was incredible!

Those donuts though! OMG I die!

Sherina Z June 29, 2013 at 3:28 am

I live in Portland, Oregon :)

Papa Haydn’s on 23rd- VERY delicious desserts! Grab dessert and a coffee :)

The Waffle Window on Hawthorne- Build your own waffle, so tasty!

Hot Lips Pizza- for some delicious pizza

Portland City Grill and Jake’s Grill- only for their Happy Hours :)

Pittock Mansion- Historic site, beautiful mansion and scenery!

Saturday Market- on Saturdays and Sundays: great place to look at stuff for sale, maybe even end up buying something

Pioneer Square Mall- Beautiful mall

Even venture out of the city to Beaverton about 10-20 minutes away depending on traffic. There’s a Mexican Restaurant that is out of this world called La Fogata Mexican Restaurant on Canyon Road in Beaverton! Try their Tequila Tasting and burrito (biggest burritos I’ve ever seen) OR Duh Kuh Bee Korean Restaurant! They made hand-made noodles! Both places are delicious and not super spendy!! OR Nonna Emilia’s Italian Restaurant!

Montage in Portland- Eat some frog legs or crocodile (if you’re into that)

I haven’t been to this place but I have heard that it has a good happy hour but it’s called Bartini.

Salty’s on the Columbia River – is pretty spendy but they have amazing brunch on Sundays!

Multnomah Falls! – beautiful water falls, scenery, nature

That is all I can think of at the top of my head :)

Lindsay June 29, 2013 at 4:04 am

I have not been, but am dying to go! I’ve heard of the doughnut shop, and I’m glad you popped in for a sweet treat!

Maureen June 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Even though I couldn’t make it to Fitbloggin’ this year, I am so glad it’s in Portland. Seeing everyone’s pictures reminds me of mu trip there last summer! :)
    VooDoo is the best! I also like that mascara, but during the summer Tarte has a waterproof one that I use for days like today when it’s going to be 107!!

Dana June 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Is the mascara you mentioned good for workouts as well?? I’m on a perpetual search for a mascara that won’t leave me with raccoon eyes after a WOD. I would love to be able to go from work straight to crossfit without having to take off my mascara before my sweat puts it all over my face. Any recommendations from you all would be great :)

Tina June 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Yes! It’s waterproof and actually stays put!

Kaitlin June 29, 2013 at 3:07 pm

If you’re on the eastside, stop by The Meadow on N Mississippi. 100+ kinds of artisan salt (lemon flake, black truffle, Murray darling, fleur de sel il de re) and an outrageous selection of single origin chocolates and bitters! The owner, Mark Bitterman, was just on the Portland episode of Bizzare foods. A definite place to stop into if you’re in that area and you appreciate artisan goods!

Kristi June 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I’ve seen Voodoo doughnuts on TV and would love to try one. They look so good.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 2, 2013 at 2:03 am

Those donuts look amazing! I remember them being featured on Food Network.

Heidi July 2, 2013 at 9:48 am

Oh, Voodoo…! I ran several miles of the Portland marathon just thinking about those donuts. They were pretty amazing post-race! So many to choose- I remember eating one with cocoa pebbles, and one with Rice Krispies and peanut butter! So delicious. Which one did you choose? :)

AJ July 2, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I loved when I visited Portland a few years ago! They had a beer festival that weekend, which was fun. And of course VooDoo is a must!

-AJ