• Pug WOD

September 25, 2012

You know what makes exercising a lot of fun? PUGS!!!

Murphy kept me entertained as I worked out in the backyard yesterday afternoon. The WOD: 100 push-ups + 100 sits-up + 100 air squats for time.

pugpushups_001

pugsitups_001

pugairsquats

As you can see, I had lots of pug motivation to get me through it.

pugwod

I broke the 100 reps into two sets of 50 for each exercise, but you could break them into 4 sets of 25 reps or 10 sets of 10 (or any other variation). This WOD would be a great addition to a running or cardio workout, especially if you’re short on time.

I used the timer on my iPhone to motivate me just like a regular CrossFit WOD. (Those push-ups got hard fast, so I did the second set of 50 on my knees.) I ended up finishing in just under 10 minutes, so it was short and sweet (like a pug), but I definitely got a decent workout. I’m even a little sore today!

I’m a big fan of the top that I wore for this workout. It’s the Women’s Play Dry Long Bra Top from my friends at Reebok. The material is soft and light-weight, and it fit really well and didn’t move around while I was exercising.

And I love the back straps, which helped keep things in place. How cool are these babies?

Snack

After my quickie workout, I showered up and then made a snack, which was banana mixed with coconut butter and cinnamon and then microwaved for 45 seconds. It was a mushy mess of deliciousness.

bananacoconutbutter

A little while later, before I took Murphy for his afternoon walk, I snacked on some baby carrots.

I gave him one as a thank you for his help with my workout.

Dinner

Last night’s dinner was an Italian “hot plate” from Well Fed. It’s actually not much of a recipe, but more of a “formula” for putting together a meal from protein, veggies, and spices. The basic formula is 3-6 ounces of cooked protein + 2 cups of sautéed veggies + your choice of seasoning. I cooked up some ground beef and then sautéed it with tomatoes, green bell pepper, and onion along with a Pizza Seasoning recipe that was in the cookbook.

Then, I added the mixture to bed of spaghetti squash. It was spicy (I went a little nuts with the red pepper flakes) and, oh, so delicious. I am psyched for the leftovers!

For dessert, I ate a few spoonfuls of Nikki’s Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie coconut butter straight from the jar.

P.S. I love, love, love this video and just wanted to share: CrossFit Women – Beauty in Strength. Watching it gave me chills, and it makes me want to get back to CrossFit even more. It’s a must-watch (even if you don’t do CrossFit)!

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian September 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

What a fun WOD. I’m definitely trying this after a run to get some strength into my routine.

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara September 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

Although I’m not a CF’er, I do make up my own WODs to do at home and I love mixing it up. And that meal look so good!

Wendy September 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

Murphy is so adorable! Holy scapula-you look like you’ve lost quite a bit of weight recently. Is it illness related or crossfit related?

Tina September 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

I actually got weighed when I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago, and I still weigh 130 lbs, so I haven’t lost any weight– just toned up a bunch! Eating better and cutting out sugar too! :)

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger September 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

LOVED that video :) totally sharing with my readers too! Thanks Tina :)

Erica September 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I really love the way you’re making the blog a lot more personal these days. You look FREAKING amazing, you work really hard, you eat really well, and you have an adorable little family. It’s just so nice to see such a whole-hearted genuine effort!

OH! And I just have to mention that Murphy is killer adorable and you are a serious badass for doing those push-ups!

I’m just utterly inspired :)

Tina September 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Awww, thanks for the sweet comment! :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 27, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yum, that mixture looks awesome. I’ve never tried spaghetti squash but I really want to. This is my first week of CrossFit! I’ve only done 2 classes, but I already love it so much (except for the fact that I can barely walk, and sitting at a desk all day doesn’t help with the stiffness). On Monday we did 10 sets of 10 wall ball squats, 3 deadlifts and a run to the end of the street and back, in 20 mins. And yesterday we did the “Filthy 50″. It was tough! Can’t wait to not be sore so I can give it my all next week!

Susan September 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I haven’t visited in a while, but I have to say, you look AMAZING! You are so cut these days. The healthy eating and hard work really shows! You’ve given me some much needed inspiration!

Jen W September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I tried this WOD last night during commercials while watching TV. It was nice to fit a 25-25-25 in during the commercials, but then once one of my favorite characters DIED I couldn’t make the last 25-25-25 since I needed to go dig out Kleenex. Next time, I’m just going to do this after a run without any TV on!

Thanks for the WOD!

Brittany July 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Have you made the Italian hotplate with cauliflower? (beef + cauli + red bell peppers + olives + pizza seasoning) I was thinking of making that this week.

Tina July 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm