• Today’s Run & Playlist

June 18, 2012

You know how I always say the bad runs make you appreciate the good ones? It seems like I say that kind of a lot on CNC, so I was actually starting to wonder when I’d finally have a good run. Well, today was the day!

This morning, I ran eight glorious miles and felt amazing the entire time. I never felt winded, my legs never got tired, and I never felt crappy (at all), so I cruised right along. I made sure to enjoy every single minute of it since those good runs don’t happen all that often for me! I finished eight miles in 1:07:53, which was an average pace of 8:29.

While I ran, I listened to the Pop and Hip Hop Power Workout Station on Pandora. I bookmarked the songs when they started to play, so I could share them on CNC. I’m always looking for new workout music, so I figured you guys might too.

Here are a few more playlist ideas too!

Before heading out for my run, I snacked on some sliced strawberries with a big scoop of almond butter. Additionally, a second scoop of almond butter went directly from the jar to my mouth.

When I got home from my run, I quickly showered, watered the lawn (Mal put down grass seed yesterday, so we need to keep it moist), and then I made lunch, which was a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, pineapple chunks, sliced deli turkey, a hardboiled egg, balsamic vinegar, and truffle oil.

Speaking of pineapple, did you know eating it might counter colitis and thus play a role in preventing colon cancer? Duke University researcher Laura P. Jale, MD, PhD has show that bromelain (a mixture of enzymes found in pineapple) can decrease some of the faulty immune responses that cause colitis [source]. I already love pineapple, but this is a great reason to eat even more of it— like in the form of pineapple juice in a Skinny Piña Colada, right?

Since we’re on the topic of colitis now (this post is all over the place), Laura recently shared a great resource with me for those of you who suffer from inflammatory bowel diseases: CrohnsDad.com.

Alan Schachter, the author of CrohnsDad.com.com, is a regular guy, whose daughter has Crohn’s. Basically, he has gone on a relentless quest to dig up as much info as he can about Crohn’s and autoimmune diseases, in general, and share it with the world on his website. The site is well-organized and puts complicated/scientific studies into easy to understand content. I poked around on CrohnsDad.com for a good 45 minutes the other night, and it’s really amazing. Definitely check it out if you haven’t already!

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: 8 miles
    • Tuesday: CrossFit
    • Wednesday: CrossFit
    • Thursday: CrossFit
    • Friday: 3 miles
    • Saturday: CrossFit

Mal went to play golf with some of his buddies after school today, so I was on my own for dinner tonight. I was craving Sweet Potato Wedges cooked in coconut oil with ketchup, so I whipped up a batch and added a couple of hardboiled eggs and cashews to my plate for some added protein and healthy fats. It was kind of a random meal, but it totally hit the spot!

And for dessert: a Wicked Good to Go chocolate cupcake in a jar. Oooh, yes!

Off to enjoy my cupcake and watch my newest television obsession!

P.S. Did you know today is International Sushi Day? (Who comes up with these crazy holidays?!?) Since I love fun facts, here are some about sushi from Benihana (many of them I didn’t know):

• Many Americans mistakenly believe sushi means “raw fish.” Sushi actually means vinegared rice.
    • In fact, sushi does not need to contain raw fish at all. Sushi is first and foremost a rice dish, which can include vegetables, cooked fish, raw fish, poultry, or other proteins.
    • The original sushi dates back to Japan over 2,000 years ago and only used pickled seafood.
    • Rice was only added in the 17th century to aid the fermentation process and was actually discarded before eating.
    • By the 19th century, seaside street stalls in Japan offered finger sushi for bite-size treats to customers on the go. Competition spurred the street vendors to turn sushi making into an art form with color presentation for stand out pieces.
    • Between 1988 and 1998 sushi bars in the U.S. quintupled and the numbers have only continued to grow.

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio June 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Congrats on the awesome run! That is great!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thanks for the playlist! I’m glad you had such a great run!! I love those!

Suzanne June 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm

The pineapple core is the best source for the bromelain, but is not much fun to eat (for me anyway). It was recommended to me to save the core for a smoothie so you still get the good stuff and don’t have to chew the tough core.

Erin Howard June 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I could eat sweet potato wedges everyday now. I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and tried sweet potatoes. I had always turned my nose up to them, but I got the urge to try them. SO GOOD!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Sounds like a great run!

Julie @ Shining From Within June 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Id be starving after 8miles! 2 hard boiled eggs would not cut it for me for dinner…bring on some pasta :)

Jen June 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi Tina, I’ve been reading for several months now and live in your neighboring state of NH. I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn’s when I was a freshman in HS. It’s been a long road but I am currently doing well; Remicade infusions have been my life line. I just want to thank you for posting the link for CrohnsDad. I find the diet part very interesting. I have the added struggle of having a peanut/tree nut allergy so that takes out some things on the “approved” food list. I feel like I’m always growing and learning more information. Best of luck on your journey!

Christina June 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Congrats Tina on a great run! Never knew that about pineapple! Does that mean I can more coconut rum and pineapple juice when I go out drinking ;)? Have a good night

Tina June 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Yessss! :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Your dinner looks so good to me for some reason! I love plain foods! I had a good run today too, which is extremely unusual for me :) Must have been something in the air!

Healthy Living Val June 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Yum! You sure love your eggs! 😉 I’m the same way — I could eat them twice a day.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm

great job on your run! i am loving your playlist too.

Jess June 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Glad you had such a great run! Most of mine have been pretty bad lately so I’ve started to do a spin class once a week to switch things up. Hopefully I’ll find my groove again soon!
    You may have mentioned this already, but how do you make your sweet potatoes in coconut oil? Do you just replace the olive oil with coconut oil? Sounds delicious!!

Tina June 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Yep, pretty much! Here’s a post which explains how I do it: http://carrotsncake.com/2012/05/home-sweet-home-4.html

fionarwbl June 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm

How do you bookmark songs on Pandora – that’s such a great idea!

Gotta love the mystery of the amazing run – I had a couple of them a few weeks ago, and they are powering me through some hard runs now. The memory! :)

Tina June 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm

On the iPhone, you just click the arrow between the up and down thumbs.

Annette@FitnessPerks June 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I need to get that Jason DeRulo song! Thanks :)

Glad you had a fab run. I love those moments…it makes it ALL worth it. Hehe. Have a nice night!

Cellabella June 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I’m glad you wrote about sushi! It’s always a pet peeve of mine when people say they hate sushi because they hate raw fish. What they actually dislike is sashimi, not sushi, especially because often times the same people don’t mind california rolls or veggie rolls which are, of course, sushi 😉

Nikki June 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm

How is a link to the Dole website a citation for that research? That’s unfair to the scientist who did the work. Here is the real research. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18482869

Tina June 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for the link!

Tina H. June 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Totally get it ’cause I had the same kind of run today. It was effortless and it just felt great!!!

melissa(fitnessnyc) June 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Amazing playlist!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

That’s awesome that you had such a great run today! Definitely gotta appreciate those good runs. I can’t believe today is International Sushi Day! I just ate dinner, maybe I should grab sushi for dessert!

Jenni June 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I looove Usher’s More for working out! It has helped me push through the last few mins more than once :) Thanks for sharing the playlist! Dance cardio is a great Pandora workout station too.

Tina June 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I love Cardio Dance too! So good! :)

Lauren June 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Wow, good tip on the pineapple and colitis! Even more a reason for me to enjoy this fruit. :)

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Loving the playlist, but I’m loving the SkinnyGirl pina colada even more. SIGN. ME. UP!

Kim June 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hey tina- I actually teach about bromelian in my pharmacology class. It’s actually in highest concentration in the stem- so theres web sites that will tell you how to boil it- or you can buy a ready-made prep at some health food stores. But I won’t dissuade you from drinking piña coloadas, that would be silly.

Tina June 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha! Good to know! :)

Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities June 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I LOVE good runs. I wish every run could be a good run. What helps me make runs consistently better is to eat pop tarts for breakfast before them. Doesn’t weight my stomach down with protein or fiber.

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm

This song playlist came just in time! Lately on my runs, I’ve been finding myself skipping over most of the songs on my iPod…I’m just tired of them all by now! Time to switch it up and get some new songs on there to rock out to :)

Sarah Jane June 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I finally had a good run today too! I have been really struggling for a few weeks now, and today it finally felt great again! I had even been contemplating just rollerblading instead of running it was getting that bad.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I will have to check out that station on Pandora. Music can make or break a workout!

Taryn June 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

wow…now i have even more of a reason to love pineapple!!! and thanks for the website resource!!

Hannah June 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I just found your blog and absolutely love it!

I also live in the Boston area and am currently hoping to find a pug; Murphy is just adorable! Do you have any recommendations for a breeder?

Tina June 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Aww, thanks! Drop me an email, and I’ll send you our breeder’s info! :)

Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Pretty much half your playlist is on my workout playlist ;]

Tina June 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

We have great taste in music! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Great run and your snacks and lunch look delish!!

Lynda @ Sun.Sweat.Run. June 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Awesome run! I understand about the bad runs making the good runs worth it. The last week for me my legs have felt like lead so I am hoping this week they feel better. Also, now I want sweet potato wedges (having trouble deciding on dinner)!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes June 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

there is DEFINITELY not enough ketchup on your plate. other than that… i approve of dinner.

also, i think you redeemed yourself by offering a “skinny pina colada.” !!! i had several delicious frozen ones in mexico last month, but i certainly don’t want to drink them on a normal basis. i was almost too full for real food. haha.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Great run! I wish I could run 8 miles and not feel tired at all – I always hit a wall around 4 miles! 😛

Corrie Anne June 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm

yay. i love runs feel like that!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Congrats on the run! I wish I could run 8 miles at an 8:29 speed, that’s really great! I also cannot eat nut butter without taking a few extra spoonfuls before putting it back! It’s a bad habit, but I’ll probably never stop!

That’s funny about it being International Sushi Day! I wrote a post about choosing healthy sushi options today and I didn’t even know today was a day dedicated to sushi! Ironic, much?!

Allison @ Road to Role Model June 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I’ve been making sweet potato wedges like that ever since I read your post – they are so addictive! My 1 year old loves them too, we eat them cold right out of the fridge!

Khushboo June 18, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Way to go on the 8 miles- makes all the bad runs worth it!

Cait's Plate June 18, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Congrats on the run!! And oh my gosh. I want that cupcake.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 19, 2012 at 1:01 am

Mmmm that jar looks amazeeeeng! And I love fish too much so sushi without the fish wouldn’t be the same for me 😛 And great job on your run! It’s always so rewarding to get a great, energized running experience.

mary @ minutespermile June 19, 2012 at 6:01 am

i DID know it was international sushi day! and yes pineapple in the form of cocktails definitely counts in my opinion.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 19, 2012 at 7:12 am

I love sushi! I used to refuse to try it until my senior year of college … then a whole new world was opened up to me! 😉

Teresa @ fitnwoodbine.blogspot.com June 19, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the playlist! I love hard boiled eggs too!!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 19, 2012 at 7:25 am

Congrats on a great 8-miler! I have been needing some new running music, so thanks for the suggestions! :)

Ashley June 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

I envy you that you can run for long distances. I can’t run. I injured my ankle real bad in high school (I was a dancer) and it is my weak spot now. Everyitme I run it hurts. Even now when I work out I have to wear a brace to protect it. Two years ago I injured it again while doing Insanity. Needless to say I don’t do that anymore. It took 8 weeks for it to heal then I started Insanity up again and aggravated again. Ugh oh well.

Kelly @ My love affair with running June 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love running to Jason DeRulo!

Pauline June 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

Great job on a speedy 8 miler! I love great runs!

I just did the Ruckus this past weekend and your tips from your Rugged Maniac came in very helpful…thank you!

I watched the season finale of Girls last night too. I was convinced Hannah was going to wake up at the end of the episode and that it was a dream. Strangest episode to date. Although, I actually like Adam now.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Hahha so many of those songs are my guilty pleasure too! Oh Kesha, why do you have to be so dang inspiring while I’m running..