• Back on Track

June 11, 2012

I pretty much ate and drank my face off this weekend at BlogHer Food. I literally ate all day long for four straight days. Of course, I don’t regret a single bite (it’s all part of the experience), but, even still, I’m ready to get back on track with my healthy eating habits.

Here’s how I get back on track:

Don’t dwell on the past
    Instead of worry about and dwelling on the eating “mistakes” I made in the past, I focus on the future. (“Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you anywhere.”) For me, the most important thing to remember is that any weight that I gained is not permanent. With some self-discipline and hard work, I know it’ll come off.

Create a plan of attack
    Creating a plan of attack with regard to my eating and exercise routine makes me feel in control. I start by planning my workouts for the week by scheduling them in my Google calendar. (Here’s why scheduling my workouts is key to my fitness motivation.) I’ll usually pick a couple of CrossFit classes and schedule them like appointments that I cannot miss. Searching for nutritious recipes online and planning a bunch of healthy meals also boosts my motivation to get (and stay) on track.

Read health blogs for inspiration
    When I’d rather sit on the couch than go for a run, I read some of my favorite health blogs for inspiration. I almost always find a recipe, new workout, or some words of advice that make me want to change my tune. (Run, Eat, Repeat, SkinnyRunner, and Losing Weight in the City are some of my favorites!) Seeing others at their healthiest and happiest motivates me to think back to a time when I felt strong and fit, and this always gets my butt in gear!

Make a change NOW
    Instead of waiting to start eating healthy or exercising on Monday, I make changes right away. I throw on my sneakers for a workout or plan my next meal to include lots of fresh produce, whole grains, healthy fats, and low-fat protein. I mean, what’s the point of waiting? Plus, jump-starting my motivation right away keeps me from falling further into bad habits that got me off track in the first place.

Be patient
    Weight loss (and maintenance) includes many ups and downs, so it’s easy to forget my successes. Instead of obsessively checking my progress on the scale and realizing it hasn’t changed as quickly as I’d like, I focus on the progress I’ve made off the scale. For instance, I recently PR-ed at a half marathon and I’ve cooked a number of especially nutritious meals in recent weeks. Remembering my successes at times when I need them most gets me back on track (consistency is key!) so I see results.

Adapted from my Feel Great Weight post, How to Get Back on a Healthy Track

Breakfast

With getting back on track in mind, I made a nutritious and satisfying breakfast, which was inspired by the Greek yogurt parfait that I enjoyed at BlogHer Food.

I used a nearly-empty Teddie Peanut Butter jar and added Greek yogurt, raspberries, blueberries, granola, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, and chia seeds.

Yummmmm… it totally hit the spot!

I also drank a glass of iced coffee with coconut milk.

_MG_8270 (499x750)

_MG_8281 (750x499)

While I ate my yogurt parfait, Murphy creepily stalked me.

He knows what happens once I’m finished with the peanut butter jar!

2012-06-11_1228

Lunch

My stomach started to grumble at exactly noon today (I guess the time change didn’t affect it), so I threw together a spinach salad with some cinnamon-raisin-almond chicken salad on top.

In the mix:

• 1 heaping cup of shredded chicken
    • 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
    • 1 tsp mayo
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
    • 1 tbsp raisins
    • 1 tbsp sliced almonds

It was an awesome lunch, and I’ll definitely make this chicken salad again! Delish!

I finished off lunch with an Adora disk dipped into almond butter.

Snack

A couple of hours later, I snacked on a sliced banana with raisins, cinnamon, and a massive scoop of almond butter. This snack never gets old.

MG_8004-750x499

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: Off
    • Monday: CrossFit
    • Tuesday: 3 miles + CrossFit
    • Wednesday: Off
    • Thursday: 4.5 miles + CrossFit
    • Friday: Off
    • Saturday: CrossFit

How do you get back on track after an indulgent weekend/vacation?

P.S. Tickets for the Healthy Living Summit go on sale tomorrow!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

I agree with all these tips! Earlier this spring I went on a foodie trip where I stuffed my face for 6 days straight and barely exercised so I definitely felt like I needed to get back on track after that. So I made a meal plan for a week of healthy dinners, made sure to get to the gym almost every day, and made a goal to eat more intuitively and watch my portions sizes. I felt so much better after a week of doing that!

Kristy Doyle June 12, 2012 at 7:52 am

I always find that reading health and fitness blogs, such as yours which has a lot of workouts to try, gets me motivated to workout when I don’t want to. When I read about a new workout, I automatically want to try it out!

Brita June 12, 2012 at 8:36 am

Ahaha! That picture of Murphy “stalking” is so hilarious. I imagine him playing 007 music in his teeny head as he waits for the jar.

Mattie @ comfy & confident June 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thanks for this post! I am trying to get back on track right now too. I made the decision yesterday and am working hard to stick to my guns and follow the plan I laid out to accomplish my goal weight.

Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run June 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Nice. I didn’t realize Archer Farms makes Almond Butter. I need to put it on my Target shopping list.

Tina June 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm

YES, it’s so delicious– and affordable! :)

Millie Snyder June 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Yum, your snack with the bananas, cinnamon, raisins, and almond butter looks great! I will definitely be trying that soon! I’m really into all of your combination snacks with the almond butter or peanut butter bases… do you usually just combine a butter, a fruit, and granola? I want to try this but I need to buy the essentials.

Shannon June 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Just so you know, the pictures of your iced coffee are really good! Made me crave one, but it was also pretty with the nice background!

Kara @ Nutritious-n-Delicious June 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Amen to that girl! Oh man you post is making my mouth water. Love bananas, nut butter, and raisins. It’s like my three favorite foods all in one.
    I get back on track after an indulgent weekend (cough cough sisters graduation party…) by going on a long run to kickstart my healthy week. It always makes me feel better and makes me feel like a have a clean slate going into the week.

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I really appreciate this post. I find myself here often and do many of the same things you do. The biggest thing, is just putting the past in the past. I have to move forward and do my best and focus on today, and not dwell on the past few days. This helps me the most. Great post!

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I think your first tip is the most important one of them all. Guilt trips only make the situation worse, and make it harder to get back on track. Let it go! Good advice :)

Kelly@ChowDaily June 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

I like to take a day to detox and drink lots of water and eat all fruits and veggies. This usually makes me feel a lot better and gets me back on track (and its usually a Sunday so I can feel good and motivated for the week ahead). I also like to go for a brisk walk/run. I am usually drained by all the crappy food I’ve been eating, and feeling kind of sluggish, so getting out for a long session of interval walking/running makes me feel like I’m easing back into it.

Lynda @ Sun.Sweat.Run. June 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I ordered some Teddie PB from Open Sky…I love it!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Yummmm! That stuff is the best! Enjoy! :)

Rebecca April 23, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Exercising and keeping fit is crucial for my overall well-being. I try to visit gym regularly but sometimes my work makes me completely exhausted. What really helps is taking nutritional supplements. For me Military Grade Nutritionals work best. They quickly bring me up. I feel energized when I exercise and throughout the day.