• Talk Dirty to Me (at CrossFit)

May 31, 2012

Last night at CrossFit, before we started the WOD, I overheard a pretty hilarious conversation. If you like unintentional dirty humor like I do, you’ll get a kick out of it.

In reference to plyo boxes:

If your box is loose, let me know.

In reference to a recently repaired plyo box:

I screwed it and that’s Gorilla Glue.

Mal and I both have a juvenile sense of humor, so, as soon as we heard this conversation, we looked at each and started cracking up. Nothing makes us laugh harder than unintentional dirty humor!

plyobox

Another favorite from a few weeks ago:

After mobility work:

The massage is over. Put your balls away.

And, of course, there are a ton of jokes about snatches, jerks, and thrusters.

I love that our box (and the CrossFit community, in general) isn’t hardcore all the time. Of course, we work hard and take our workouts seriously, but we also laugh and joke around. I mean, isn’t fitness supposed to be fun?

Workout

I loved last night’s WOD. It actually didn’t seem too hard when I first read it off the whiteboard at the start of class, but it kicked my butt, especially the Push Presses and Double Unders. (The Push Presses got really tough toward the end of the workout, and I sucked ass on my first set of Double Unders, which slowed me down. I eventually warmed up and rocked them though.)

Strength:

1 set of Max Strict Wide Grip Pull-ups

WOD:

AMRAP 5
    10 Push Press

15 Double Unders
    10 Box Jumps
    15 Abmat Sit-ups

Rx: (75, 55) (24, 20)
    L2: (65, 45) (20, 16) (3x Singles)
    L1: (55, 35) (16, 12) (2x Singles)

Rest 1 minute. Repeat two more times for a total of (3) 5 minute AMRAPs.

For this WOD, we had 5 minutes to do as many Push Presses, Double Unders, Box Jumps, and Abmat Sit-ups. I got through 2 rounds + a bunch of reps and then I rested for a minute before doing the whole set two more times. My total was 6 rounds + 58 reps, and I did the workout as prescribed, which feels awesome to say. I don’t do that many WODs as prescribed, so it’s especially cool when I do!

Dinner

Last night’s dinner was a good one! It was inspired by a recipe for a One-Pan Scramble from a cookbook called Sweet Potato Power that the author sent me to check out. All of the recipes include sweet potatoes, which is obviously right up my ally!

2012-05-31_0654

To make this dish, I cooked some Italian sausage and then added sliced sweet potato, zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and chopped frozen kale to a skillet along with a few cloves of minced garlic and 1.25 cups of chicken broth. I let everything simmer (covered) for 25 minutes or so—basically until the sweet potatoes were soft. It turned out great and was so easy to make.

_MG_7642 (750x499)_thumb[1]

After dinner, I still wanted a little something to eat, so I ate an orange.

_MG_7690 (750x499)_thumb[1]

What’s the most hilarious thing that has ever happened to you while working out?

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

That cook book sounds awesome! And I always seem to find things people say dirty… Lol 12 year old boy humor

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! May 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

Nothing too hilarious (yet!) has happened to me while working out… But my field hockey teammates and I back in college used to have lots of laughs :) That cookbook looks awesome! Can’t get enough of sweet potatoes….

Lauren May 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

This has yet to happen to me but I am always SCARED to DEATH that I will do something completely embarrassing like fart when I’m working with my trainer. I would be mortified if I go down into a squat and it accidentally happens. :) LoL

Amanda May 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

@Lauren: This actually happened while I was in a yoga class. This lady on the side of me must have farted at least 6 times the entire class. She didn’t even flinch. It was quite hilarious but by the 3rd time I was thinking, COME ON!

Gillian May 31, 2012 at 7:50 am

There have been soooooo many moments like this for me…hahaha. In one case, my old trainer (who was completely serious) had me doing ball slams and he wanted me to ramp up the intensity so he was yelling ‘HARDERRRR, FASTER’, etc….lol

In another case, my trainer wanted me to do kettle bell swings with two kettle bells and I told him “I don’t think I can spread my legs that wide”….oops haha

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 31, 2012 at 8:02 am

Once I was doing sit ups on the ball and I lost my balance and rolled backwards! I landed right on my head and the rest of my body was quick to follow. It was embarrassing but oh well, that’s life! :)

Kimberly May 31, 2012 at 8:18 am

A few weeks ago at the gym, someone accidentally unplugged the treadmill I was running on. The send stop of the belt sent me flying – I landed on my butt.

Tina May 31, 2012 at 8:21 am

Oh my goodness! Were you ok?

Jackie W May 31, 2012 at 8:20 am

A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste! Ha!

GM @ GM RUns May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

I love your cross fit posts. You are the one that got me interested in cross fit and I am now OBSESSED. I seriously love how much fun it is! It is THE toughest workouts I have ever done but some days they are more fun than anything! So, THANKS :D

Tina May 31, 2012 at 8:54 am

Yay!! :)

eliza May 31, 2012 at 8:45 am

Once I was on the stair master and was getting sweaty so I took off my sweatshirt I had on. Somehow, it didnt land on the floor beside me and the machine ended up grabbing ahold of it! I was too embarrassed to tell a gym employee so my sweatshirt is probably still in the machine!

Laura May 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’ve actually orgasmed while working out! Years ago at my old gym, I was doing reverse crunches on a bench and yup, when I realized what was happening I had to stop and collect myself before making a very awkward scene. It’s not a myth, people…!

Kate May 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

I love taking ordinary phrases out of context…makes my day go by a lot faster! I’ve really enjoyed reading about your CrossFit experience and it inspired me to try it out. I just attended my first CrossFit class last night and it kicked my butt…in the best way possible! Here’s what we did:
    “Filthy Fifty”
    For time:
    50 Box jumps 20”
    50 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Kettlebell swings, 35 lbs
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
    50 Burpees
    50 Double unders OR 200 singles
    Can’t wait for the next class!!!

Tina May 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

That one was one of my first WODs! It’s a good one! Glad you liked it! :)

TiffanyS May 31, 2012 at 9:07 am

Last summer we had a bootcamp class outside in the yard doing an obstacle course of sorts. It apparently was not my night. We were using a picnic table for step ups on one side and rows with a band on the other side. Well, I pulled the band hard for a row and it slipped out from under the picnic table when the other person stepped up on the seat and whapped me smack in the face. I just sat there and didn’t know whether to cry or to laugh! Then, the same night we were doing box jumps. I HATE jumping! I have this brain game that makes me just freeze about jumping. Well, my trainer knows this and was pushing me to just stop thinking and do it already. Well, I did it a couple times, but the last one I didn’g quite make it and ended up grazing the box with my whole shin. That was a pretty bruise for a long time. Fun times!

mary @ minutespermile May 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

that dinner looks awesome! do you think you’ll ever get tired of cross fit? i know sometimes i pick up a new exercise (zumba, yoga, etc) and become obsessed with it for a couple months…then, i usually drop it and get back to running. just curious.

Tina May 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

No, probably not. The workouts are never the same and you can always challenge yourself to get faster and stronger, so I don’t think I’ll get tired of it anytime soon.

Macrae May 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

A super cute guy was hauling a** on the treadmill and I got up the courage to tell him he was a good runner. Well I ended up saying “I like your pace!” He turns, looks at me funny and says, “You like my face?” I was MORTIFIED and turned bright red as I said,”Oh no! I’m not that bold, I said pace!” Needless to say, this is the last time I will ever approach a guy at the gym-ahhhhh!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

A book dedicated to sweet potatoes recipes? Thats cool, I have to check it asap!

Cait's Plate May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hahaha that’s pretty great – things like that, especially when you have someone else there to pick up on it are just so hysterical.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think it’s hilarious when someone trips on the treadmill or falls off (and isn’t hurt), then tries to play it off like it didn’t happen. I obviously have a very sophisticated sense of humor.

That dinner looks delicious! I think sweet potatoes are on the menu for me tonight, so so good!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

HAHA. That’s hilarious! Nice job on completing the WOD as prescribed–gooooo YOU :)

Ericka @ The Sweet Life May 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

omg there is SO much dirty innuendo in Crossfit lingo. It’s hilarious. I mean…if you take it that way which I can’t help but do. Nice.

Jill May 31, 2012 at 9:48 am

My husband and I take a strength class at our gym two mornings a week. In one particular class, we were using stability balls. The balls were either pink, blue or gray. One of the other women in the class started going on and on about how she wished there was a black ball she could use because black balls were her favorite. My husband and I could barely keep it together with all of her talk about loving black balls!

Khushboo May 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

I always appreciate a little dirty humor thrown in :)

Natalie May 31, 2012 at 10:06 am

The worst for me is when I hear something that sounds dirty from an instructor in a class but I’m the only one who laughs, usually out-loud. I’m pretty sure if my husband and I had fitness classes together we would always be laughing at some dirty joke. Also that sweet potato stir fry looks yum!

Tina May 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

Being in class with Mal always make it worse! LOL!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

I can’t hear the word “balls” and not immediately start laughing no matter what it’s context so I hear ya ;)

Tina May 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

LOL! Same here!

Lisa May 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

Really? A post about dirty talk? Def time for me to move on to another fitness blog…

Tina May 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

Dirty humor is part of who I am. I love to laugh! Sorry to see you go.

Melissa May 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

@Lisa:

Oooh come on, lighten up will ya?! This is why we all love Tina.. a sense of humor!

MelanieF May 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm

@Lisa: @Melissa: @Lisa: Wow, it was just a joke! I say even worst things, being French and everything! :-)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves May 31, 2012 at 10:20 am

That WOD does look fun. It combines all my favorites: box jumps, push presses, double unders! Our box tends to be really jokey and fun during the warm up, but when that clock hits 3-2-1, it’s serious. I think kale and sweet potatoes together are like peanut butter (or almond butter!) and jelly. Love it!

Colleen May 31, 2012 at 10:20 am

That recipe sounds delicious!

Shannon May 31, 2012 at 11:36 am

That recipe looks awesome! do you happen to know the nutritional stats?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 31, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love the looks of that recipe! I’m definitely copying down that idea to make soon.

Most embarrassing thing to happen to me while working out? Well I’m a klutz, so I tend to have lots of incidents where I drop things on me, fall off machines, and trip over weights. I’ve learned to just laugh it off! :P

mel May 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm

haha I love this post! I have such dirty humor and laugh all the time at crossfit (even if its to myself).

Katie D. May 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

We do pelvic thrusts in TRX (laying on our backs, heels in the TRX and thrusting), so I always crack up when the instructor yells “Higher, Faster, Get it up there!” Sometimes the song that is on during this move is so funny too (something sexual usually) that it is just too much for me.

Shauna @ Balancing Bites May 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Dinner looks delicious. I love one-pan meals. Probably the most hilarious thing that has happened to me during a workout was falling while skating. I always laugh when people or even myself fall. I try not to, but I sometimes can’t help it.

Tina May 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Me too! I {heart} one-pan meals!

kyla May 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ha! Over spring break, my friends and I would use the term “ohh talk dirty to me” whenever we would make a particularly delicious food dish or go to a restaurant that made a delicious dish or even read about something yummy sounding. For example, we went to Marietta’s Diner in Georgia and literally the entire meal we kept on saying “ohhh talk dirty to me, say it again!”. Needless to say, the phrase has stayed.

Brie May 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm

My CF coach once said, “Everybody grab your balls and go outside.”

I’ll just let you imagine what happened in a class that was 75% male. But it was hilarious.

Christina May 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

On Sunday I was doing a training run in the morning. In the morning I am pretty much a walking zombie. As I was running i was getting these weird stares from people as i was running. I looked down and realize that i was running with 2 different pairs of shoes! One was a mizuno wave rider, the other was converse. Needless to say I started cracking up. That dinner looks amazing! I always crack up with dirty jokes. I feel like a 12 year old, but anything that involves the word balls, massage, or screw i automatically start giggling.

Whitney May 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

My husband and I are currently in the juvenile stage of “that’s what she said” everytime it applies! ha :) Nothing wrong with a little sense of humor!!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Just saying “grab your balls” makes me laugh!

Tina May 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Haha! Ditto!

sarah May 31, 2012 at 10:09 pm

So thrusting makes the bottom of my neck black and blue. A coworker asked asked me what was wrong with my neck and without even realizing it… my reply was… It’s from thrusting!!! Hilarious and unintentional dirty humor. I love it.

Evelyn May 31, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Because of Crossfit: I clean, I jerk and I have a nice snatch.

Jayme June 1, 2012 at 11:04 am

I was doing split squats with my rear leg on a yoga ball, and a pair of 10s in my hands. I do them sideway by a mirror to check my form. I fell off-balance and fell into the mirror and down in the middle of the packed gym.