• Blogger Dinner at Red Lantern

May 11, 2012

Last night, I enjoyed a lovely dinner at Red Lantern with some of my favorite lady bloggers: Sarah, Anne, Courtney, Julie, and Maria. The six of us had a great time eating, drinking, and being merry.

Red Lantern is a new-ish Asian restaurant in downtown Boston. Apparently, it’s a hot place right now (rumor has it that members of the Red Sox often dine there), so it’s usually pretty tough to get a dinner reservation, but Sarah worked her connections and scored us a table at last-minute’s notice.

While we pursued the food menu, I ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I also split a glass of Chardonnay with Anne later in the evening.

Our server explained that many of the dishes on the menu were meant for sharing, so we ordered a bunch of different things and passed them around the table so we could all try them, which is my favorite way to enjoy a meal. I love tapas and family-style dining because I can try a bunch of different tastes and bites in one meal. It’s so fun!

Here’s what we ordered last night:

Tuna Tartare

Chicken and Beef Skewers

Sweet & Spicy Tik Tock Chicken (a lot like orange chicken)

Sea Bass with Japanese Eggplant

Thumbs up for the sea bass!

Drunken Noodles (noodles with spicy pork and shrimp)

Everything was a really delicious, but my favorites were the Tuna Tartare and the Drunken Noodles. Both dishes were really flavorful and something a little different than I usually order.

Would you rather share a bunch of different dishes or order your own meal when dining out?

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I LOVE drunken noodles! easily one of my favorite dishes to get whenever I go for thai food :) it all looks so tasty!

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) May 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I would rather order my own meal. I’m a bit of a food hog!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I love to share and try new things. But if something was really, really good I might want to take more than just my fair share! :)

Maria May 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm

So good to meet you all! I was obsessed with that Tuna tartare and sea bass, mmm :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I love doing things tapas style so I can try a little of everything!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

If I’m with friends, I love sharing dishes … I like being able to try a little of everything! :)

Kelly May 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

the sea bass and eggplant would be my choice! i like my own meal.

Laura @ She Eats Well May 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I love dinners where you get to share everything. The ambiance of that restaurant is so unique too! That sea bass and eggplant looks to die for…I love eggplant when it’s done right.

Cait's Plate May 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’ve heard really good things about Red Lantern….and now I see why! Everything looks os good!

Mary May 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Have my own, good or bad. A share taste is hard to honestly call; if it’s yours, you have to really own it, good or bad.

Deb @ wiseupslimdown May 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I have to admit I am a bit selfish when it comes to ordering. I want my own dish. Whenever food is served family style I feel like I never get enough to eat or enough of what I really like. But I don’t mind doing it every now and then. However, I am not shy about asking for a taste and I am not selfish is someone wants to try what I am eating.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 12, 2012 at 12:04 am

So much fun seeing you this week! And thanks again for the MaryLou’s…I don’t care what Sarah says, that stuff rocks 😉

Dede Brentlinger May 12, 2012 at 12:25 am

Defiantly share. That way you get to try new dishes , you other wise might not have and you are not stuck eating something you really don’t like.

It looked like you had a great time :), and all the food look so YUMMY!!!

Sunnie (moderngirlnutrition.wordpress) May 12, 2012 at 12:45 am

The tuna tartare sounds delicious! The presentations are gorgeous, too!

Hannah May 12, 2012 at 4:07 am

I love sharing as long as I’m with other veggies- otherwise I get the raw end of the deal!

Ananda May 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

Isn’t sea bass on the endangered list?

Nicole May 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’m a stickler for ordering my own but I’m always happy to share.

rob fiasco May 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

do y’all get a bunch of weird looks when there are 6 girls all taking pictures of their food? haha :)

Tina May 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

@rob fiasco: Haha! I’m sure we did!

Maria @ The Fitness Girl Kitchen May 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

This looks like a fun time. And that food looks amazing… you had me at tuna tartare. I love it. Did you guys see any of the Red Sox players? 😉

Tina May 12, 2012 at 11:05 am

Haha! Sadly, no. :(

Jolynn May 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

I love sharing at new restaurants because you get to try a little bit of everything. It’s hard picking out just one item on a menu full of good stuff!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I like sharing when I go out for all you can eat sushi with my friends, because then I know we can always order more if we want. But for the most part I prefer my own meal!