• Are You Afraid of the Dark?

May 17, 2012

Good morning!

Monica and Theodora both arrived safe and sound here in Boston. I picked up Theodora from South Station last night and Monica from the airport this morning. Once we were all together at my house, we spent the morning catching up and going over some last-minute preparation for Reach the Beach.

Last-minute preparations:

• Buy snacks from Trader Joe’s
    • Buy bug spray
    • Wash & dry pug fur-covered blankets
    • Pack hand sanitizer
    • Pack extra TP

I feel like we’re in pretty good shape with our packing.Now, I just hope we didn’t forget anything!

At noon, we’re meeting the rest of Team Off Balance at the New Balance offices and then we’re driving up to the factory and Sports Research Lab for a tour and team dinner later on. I can’t believe the relay is already here!

Breakfast

On our way home from the airport this morning, Monica and I stopped at Marylou’s to grab iced coffees for everyone. I went with my usual Peanut Butter Wonderful (milk, no sugar).

To eat, I toasted up a couple of waffles to which I added peanut butter, almond butter, and banana slices.

Over breakfast, I took a look at my legs for the relay. My first leg is 3.79 miles, my second leg is 6 miles, and my third leg, which is always the hardest (haha), is 6.51 miles for a total of 16.3 miles. I’m feeling pretty confident about the first and third legs, but I’m already getting nervous for my second leg, which I will most likely run in the middle of the night. I’m actually kind of afraid of the dark… and bears.

The course map also shows the elevation of each leg, including the uphill and downhill percentage and denivelation. My legs include a bunch of hills, so they’re categorized as “hard,” which means I plan to make them my bitch.

Feel Great Weight

Frequently, I receive emails from readers asking how I motivate myself to exercise and stick to a regular workout routine. I typically mention my use of mantras and self-talk to get me in the groove, but I also found that scheduling my workouts for the week is the best and most effective way to keep me motivated. I plan my workouts in my Google calendar, typically on Sunday afternoon, just like I would any other appointment, whether it’s a business meeting, a visit to the dentist, or a friend’s bridal shower. This way, I can hold myself accountable for each workout because they are an appointment I can’t break. Why Scheduling is a Key to Fitness Motivation

Have you ever run at night? If so, what’d you think? Are you afraid of the dark?

Charissa May 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I did a moonlight race in March and it was awesome…I LOVE the dark….

Minerva May 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Can I ask what a Peanut butter wonderful from Marylou’s tastes like? I’m no where near Boston, but everytime you blog about it I am secretly trying to figure out how to replicate its wonderfulness at home.

Ashley May 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I love running at night but it all depends on where you live. When I’m in syracuse, NY it can be really dangerous so I try to avoid it unless I’m with a buddy.

GreenGirlRunning May 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I just ran The Relay from Calistoga to Santa Cruz a couple of weeks ago and I was really freaked about running in the dark! So my awesome hubby met me at the exchange before my night leg and ran it with me. I was so happy to have him there since we were running on a back country road with no shoulder and we were instructed to run with traffic! Coyotes could be heard really close by, too! Our van did a great job of checking in with all of our runners, especially during the night legs. All in all, my night leg ended up being the best part of the whole experience for me. Just don’t be “that girl” that was wearing earbuds and couldn’t even hear runners talking to her right next to her! Hello?! Coyotes anyone??? :)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) May 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You always make me want an iced coffee! You may have said this in older posts, but does Mary Lou’s use flavored syrups in their iced coffees to give them those special flavors?

Tina May 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Marylou’s is just flavored brewed coffee. No syrups! :)

cait May 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm

oh I wish DD’s did that. Only original coffee then flavored syrups!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

@Tina: Oooh I was about to ask the same thing! That’s awesome :)

Jody May 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

@Tina: @Tina:

Really?! I looked at the nutritional facts on their website and for the PB Wonderful, there are other ingredients listed other than just coffee. It doesn’t look like straight sugar is added, but there is high fructose corn syrup, cream & chocolate liquor.

Just wondering! I think they are probably worth it….I tried one last time I was in MA!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I am definitely afraid to run in the dark! Come winter time and less daylight hours, you will almost always find me on a treadmill rather than running outdoors.

I’m also a huge fan of planning workouts. Back when I was in college, I would write it down in my planner. It was the best way to make sure I crossed it off the list!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’ve never run in the dark at night.. but I have been up running in the dark before sunrise! When I it is still pitch black out (think 4:30am).. I tend to just to interval training in the loop of my condo complex… nice and close to home.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 17, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I’m not sure I’d be able to do a run at night although I’d probably run a lot faster just to get it over with!!! Good luck ladies, and stay safe! :)

kristle May 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm

in high school when i first got into running, i thought it’d be a good idea to get up before school and go for a run. i was careful not to wake my parents, it must have been about 4:30 or 5am… and it was dang dark out!! we lived in the country so there were no lights or street lamps to think of. i couldn’t really see where i was going and kept stepping into holes, almost twisting my ankle. it was NOT a good idea. needless to say, that first time was the last.

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit May 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This post gets me excited because it sound like Hood to coast (in Oregon). Same thing – relay race, vans, 3 legs. I’ve run it 4 times (5th is this August. I’m totally hooked). Surprisingly, some of my favorite runs have been at night. It’s so peaceful out and I always get a lot of good “thinking” time in. Also, make sure to look up! The night sky with tons of stars shining down at you makes for an awesome sight.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm

3rd leg is the hardest – ha! I’m dying.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats May 17, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I never run at night because I get freaked out that something will happen to me! If I do, I’m with my boyfriend.

Sabrina @ Nutrtiously Sweet May 17, 2012 at 10:28 pm

OMG a run in the middle of the night? Hmm, I think I would be freaked out lol >.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family May 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I won’t run past dusk, even with a reflector belt. I am too afriad of getting hit by a car. I feel like drivers pay less attention at night because they are tired and cant see as well. And I often run with a stroller so i defintieyl wont risk their lives!

Kelsey May 18, 2012 at 1:38 am

Is that map showing the beginning or end of the run? If you are running towards Assumption then GOOD LUCK that last hill is epic! I ran cross country at WPI and we used to run all around there! Worcester is my favorite place to run :)

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger May 18, 2012 at 6:34 am

I ran a relay two years ago and 2 of my 3 legs were in the dark. It was so much fun/ crazy because I didnt really know how to pace myself. It’s tough to judge a hill when you can’t see it in front of you/ wonderful because you cant see it in front of you.

Good luck with the relay! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Lauren McGinn May 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

Sometimes my middle of the week long runs leave me in the dark on the last leg. I’ve always planned my route so that I’m on a street with many street lights for safety.

Just don’t think about it and you’ll be fine! There’s bound to be plenty of people around you/in the area :) Keep your eye on the Beach!

Angie @ Pint of Goals May 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm

It looks like the twelve of you are going to have so much fun!
    Maybe being a little scared will make you run even faster :)

Cassie May 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi! Just delurking for a bit…I’ve been a follower for awhile and I finally got a blog so I feel more legit commenting :)

This race sounds like SO much fun…it’s awesome you have a team to do this with. Can’t wait to read the recap!