• And You Thought I Didn’t Listen

May 13, 2012

Happy Mother’s Day, moms!

My pug child gave me a beautiful plant for Mother’s Day. Isn’t Murphy so sweet? Apparently, he texted my mom the other day to ask her if she would buy him a plant for me for Mother’s Day. Pugs are so thoughtful.

After breakfast this morning, I drove out to my mom’s house to celebrate Mother’s Day with her, my sister, and my grandmother. My sister and I bought my mom a new patio set for her backyard, so we were really excited to give it to her.

Hooray for a new patio set!

How many sisters does it take to put together a patio set?

It actually wasn’t difficult to put together at all.

The instructions were easy to understand, so we had my mom’s new table and chairs all set up in no time.

While we worked, Murphy supervised.

For lunch, my sister cooked turkey burgers and sweet potato wedges while I prepared a salad with greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and sliced almonds.

My plate:

Murphy chilled under the table while we ate lunch.

Once we finished eating, he got, um, comfortable in my lap. (Why is he sitting like that?!? What a weirdo!)

The card that I gave my mom for Mother’s Day this year reminded me a lot of growing up and hearing her say the old: “If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?” She actually said this quite a lot to me, but I’m glad I listened because it made a real difference in how I viewed peer pressure and made my own decisions.

Inside the card:

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Mom! See, I listened to you back then!

What’s something you’re glad you listened to your mom about?

Sana May 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

What a thoughtful gift :)

Erica May 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

What a great Mother’s day gift! Glad Murphy got his fur mama something too :). The food looks just perfect for the spring weather

mary @ minutespermile May 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

what a nice pug you have! if dogs buy presents for me i am definitely going to get one. happy mother’s day!

Jac @ Challenged & Running in the Bike Lane May 13, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Happy Mother’s Day!! I’m glad I listen to my mom almost each and every day as I struggle with my own teenager!!!

Deb May 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

What a nice pug! hehe

I think we have that same table on our patio… almost. Ours is round.

Love the card!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio May 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm

What a fun day with your Mom! I’m glad I listened to my Mom and took the job at Dartmouth. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Marty May 13, 2012 at 6:33 pm

That card is awesome!

Laura @joyful shimmy May 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Awesome card! My mom used to say the same thing and it is so true. My other wisdom of mom advise is to treat everyone equally no one is better bc they have or don’t have money. It’s about being authentic. I really love that and it turns put I get to now have the most eclectic group of friends

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) May 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Sounds like a fun day!

Erin May 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

My pugs got me a cute potted flower too for Mother’s Day!!!

Tina May 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Pugs are so thoughtful! :)

Brianna @ Don't Eat Crap May 13, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Best card ever! Pugs are so cute :) My Puggle has the personality of a pug for sure.

Maryz May 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I got this same card from my teenage kids and could not stop laughing! I say this all the time to them! It looks like you had a fabulous day!

amy @Health Hungry May 13, 2012 at 8:43 pm

best.card.ever. Check out my post today to see what Meatball(my pug) wore to Mother’s Day Brunch! I hope you enjoyed your family time – cheers to your pipes Tina!(pic of you putting furniture together) Dang, you rock… 😉

Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? May 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I think relaxing in the most awkward pose possible must be a pug thing because Alouysius – our Pug – does it all the time. The best advice my mom ever gave me was to write down how I feel when I’m upset – the act of writing calms me right down and it also helps me get my thoughts straightened out.

Tina May 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Haha! Pugs are so weird. Murphy seemed totally comfortable sitting like that!

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 13, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Aw, how thoughtful of you all to get your mom patio furniture for Mother’s Day :) Great gift! I love the card too – so true! I’m only five years older than my younger sister but sometimes I feel so old because i’m always thinking, “Just listen to Mom!!! Se’s right!”

Sarah S. May 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm

My kids gave me that same Mother’s Day card! I love it so much — made me laugh out loud! Murphy did really well picking out his Mother’s Day gift. :-)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Patio furniture is a great gift! I hope your mom gets plenty of use out of it!

Cait's Plate May 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I love that card!

I still listen to my mom when it comes to just about everything – she’s usually the first person I bounce things off of!

Happy Mother’s Day to you (for Murphy!) and your mom!

[New Balance] Nicole May 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I LOVE that card! My mom said that to me all the time. :)

Katie @ A Full Plate May 13, 2012 at 10:51 pm

“Patience is a virtue.” was a popular saying from my mom. To this day I’m the most patient person I know!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Nice card! I listened and still listen to my mom a lot. It’s true what they say “mother does know best!”

Corrie Anne May 13, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I’m so thankful that both my parents totally taught me to exercise. They both go to the gym or run every day! They taught me that it relieves stress!! haha. They have six kids and three grandkids!

Sabrina @ Nutrtiously Sweet May 13, 2012 at 11:03 pm

That card is totally adorable! I wish I had found that one lol. Glad you enjoyed your mother’s day with your family :)

Lindsay May 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Awesome card and such a nice gift! Your pug did pick out some really lovely flowers:) My lesson from mom? She always told me to be uniquely you, and don’t be afraid to leap. Little did she know I’d be leaping through life as a dancer…leaping to foreign countries…and leaping into the man of my dreams. Glad I listened.

Clare May 14, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oh how cute! Hope you all had a great weekend :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 14, 2012 at 1:02 am

That card is adorable! Looks like a great day. :)

Lorraine @ Fitness, Food, and Wanderlust May 14, 2012 at 1:39 am

Awesome card. I’m glad about listening to my mother about living within my means and to be a strong woman. These are two important things I live by. Thanks to the Moms for their love, and Happy Mother’s Day!

Lorraine @ for her soul May 14, 2012 at 1:59 am

Miz May 14, 2012 at 6:01 am

my mom used to say to me: CARLA, EVERYONE ELSE CANT BE WRONG.
    and I think of that often when Im feeling petulant and pissy :) and resistant to change and returning back to the concept of Im right and everyone else just doesnt get it :)

miriam May 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

I ALMOST bought that card! It legit made me cause a “laughing out loud” scene in the store…

Athena @ Fitness & Feta May 14, 2012 at 8:36 am

Got my mother the same exact card last year for Mother’s Day, for the same exact reason!

Steffany May 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

OMG that is the same card I got MY Mom for Mother’s Day haha. The illustrations are a little different, but still stick figures and essentially the same !!

JennF May 14, 2012 at 9:18 am

Murphy cracks me up!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves May 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

Murphy is such a thoughtful pug!

Honey What's Cooking May 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm

When I would compare myself to all the kids who were having fun, my mom would always nag me to study and not compare myself.. it did suck those days, but I’m glad I listened. :)

kristle May 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

it sounds kind of depressing, but mum would always reply to my whinings of “but thats not fffaaaiiiirrrr!” with, “life isnt fair.” i realize more with every passing year that she spoke the truth.

Tina May 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm

My mom said that to me too!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie May 15, 2012 at 1:45 am

Hahah love that card! I’ll have to find something like that for my mom 😉

Dalia khara May 15, 2012 at 5:23 am

Happy day.The card is beautiful,I like that.I have small two dogs,they are Rose one and Rose two.I love my dogs.Your dog is lovely,I love your dog.

Elizabeth May 16, 2012 at 12:03 am

My brother and I got the same card for my mom. We labeled the one on the bridge as me, and the three in the water as three of my four brothers. She thought it was hysterical.