Since she’ll be cruising soon, I am here to offer some unsolicited advice on staying healthy while on a cruise ship full o’ food and booze.
I think we’ve all heard about people who diet to look good on their cruise vacation, then come back home 10 pounds heavier because there was SO MUCH GOOD FOOD on the ship!
Well, it’s true. You can eat at a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus there are all those delicious (and dangerous), tropical drinks!
I went on a cruise in October and managed to take a few notes on how to stay healthy while cruising…
1. Stay Active! There is a full gym and walking track on every cruise ship. Most ships also offer group fitness classes like yoga and spinning (sign up before as they fill up). You don’t have to spend 2 hours in the gym while on vacation, but knowing you’re going to exercise in the morning might make you reconsider that 3rd (or 7th) cocktail.
If you can, try to wrangle your cruise-mate to join you at the gym once or twice. I never get to workout with my friends, so this was a treat!
2. Pace yourself. This time I’m not referring to running – we’re talking eating. If 2 out of 3 of your meals will be buffets most of the week you have the freedom to be picky. If you can have it any ol’ day, skip it. If you don’t love it, leave it on your plate.
There are a ton of healthy options (and unhealthy ones too).
You can pile up on the veggies and fruit before hitting up the pizza bar.
When you are at a sit down meal, order what you want and pay attention to your fullness cues. I tried Baked Alaska for the first time on my cruise and didn’t really like it, so I took a few bites and moved on.
But, I devoured a sweet potato pot pie. Totally worth it!
3. Stay Hydrated. Enjoy your favorite adult beverage but remember those calories add up fast. Try to pace yourself by sipping water in between each alcoholic drink while at the pool. At dinner try to nurse your wine to last until dessert.
*Note: Just because your drink is clear, doesn’t mean it’s water
4. LIVE! Get lost in a good book while lounging by the pool. Go on a fun excursion. Participate in the afternoon Bingo session. Dance! Take in all the sights and smells and sounds of the cruise. It’s healthy for your soul.
Bonus tip: The Jersey Turn-pike move burns tons of calories. Yeah buddy.
5. Pack Sunblock, not guilt. Sure, I just gave you 4 tips on how to stay healthy on a cruise but above everything else you should ENJOY your vacation and not feel guilty about indulging. Work hard, play hard, right?
Now, I’ll be cruising along back to Run Eat Repeat… See ya later!
How do you stay healthy on vacation?