• What to Eat for Healthy Skin

March 15, 2012

My mom is one of the biggest supporters of my blog. She works as a cashier at a specialty foods store, so she often tells customers about Carrots ‘N’ Cake while she rings them up. Recently, my mom bumped into an old friend of hers named Amy Gyles McInerney.

Amy is a Licensed Medical Aesthetician of 18 years and has her own business. For the past several years, the marketing of her practice has taken a back seat to focus on raising her children, but now that they’re in school full-time, she’s able to focus on her business again. As a way to get the word out about her services, Amy offered to give me a free treatment in return for a review on my blog. I’m more than happy to help out one of my mom’s friends, especially a fellow female business owner, and, of course, I love facials, so I was game.

This morning, I met Amy at her practice in Burlington, Massachusetts. She gave me a big, warm welcome, asked me a bunch of questions about my skin and care routine, and then we got down to business.

After an explanation of the various treatments and their benefits, Amy and I decided to go with microdermabrasion followed by a Vitamin C treatment. Microdermabrasion is a technique that uses tiny rough grains to buff away the surface layer of skin, and Vitamin C brightens, tones, and firms the skin. The combination of the two treatments left my skin smooth and glowing.

During my facial, Amy and I chatted the entire time. She explained every step of the process and its benefits as well as how food and nutrition can affect one’s skin. Amy’s recommendations for what to eat for healthy skin include foods low in sugar and saturated fat, fish, chicken, leafy greens (kale, spinach), and anything with beta carotene (peppers, carrots, kale, sweet potatoes) or vitamin C (peppers, kiwi, citrus fruit, berries). Amy also takes flaxseed, calcium, and Vitamin C supplements for healthy skin.

Amy also mentioned that green tea is great for the skin—both inside and out. A neat thing that she does with brewed green tea is chills it in her refrigerator (for up to 3-4 days) and uses it on a cotton ball, which she applies all over her face in order to get the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Pretty cool, right? I might have to try this green tea-cotton ball thing myself!

Amy also has a new skin care blog, so please check it out!

Thanks, Amy, for a wonderful treatment today. Hope to see you again soon!

Do you find that what you eat affects the quality of your skin?

I definitely do. If I consume too much sugar, my skin breaks out like crazy!

Lunch

After my facial, I met my sister at Not Your Average Joe’s for lunch.

We started with bread and olive oil.

For my meal, I ordered the sandwich and soup combo. I went with the Tuscan Chicken Sandwich, which came with grilled chicken, mozzarella, marinated tomatoes, basil pesto aioli and arugula on Ciabatta.

For the soup, I went with French Onion. Holy cheese!

Yum.

Snack

A few hours later, I snacked on some sweet potato wedges with peanut butter, which has become my new favorite snack. I’ve been snacking on pieces of sweet potato here and there throughout the day with a little smear of peanut butter for the past few days. It’s so good! (I ate this plate X 2.)

Off to walk the pug and then CrossFit!

Ryan @ PauseTheMoment.com March 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

Um, that Tuscan Chicken Sandwich NEEDS to get in my belly. That thing looks incredible!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 16, 2012 at 1:43 am

I definitely find what I eat effects my skin! From Halloween to New Year’s my skin always starts breaking out due to the higher amounts of sugar I ingest. >.< It's a real problem and alerts me to lay off it.

michelle kim March 16, 2012 at 1:55 am

That mozzarella in the sandwich looks amazing! Well, that sandwich just looks perfect and delicious :).
    Sweet potatoes + peanut butter= perfect snack.
    Unfortunately, I find that when I eat too many sweets, I also break out. I gave up desserts for Lent, and I’m finding that my skin is clear of acne and radiant. Darn it… if only it could stay like this even while I consume my desserts!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl March 16, 2012 at 3:48 am

What I eat definitely has a direct effect on my skin. If I eat too many sweets or Gouda cheese (since I live in Holland now) my face reacts negatively. So i try to eat more balanced meals, and I also love getting facials on a regular basis!

Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com March 16, 2012 at 6:48 am

Thanks for sharing her blog! I find that it is not so much as to food which affects my skin, but the atmosphere. The more humid it is outside the more likely I am to get a sweat pimple or two. The colder it is the drier my face. But I owe a lot to my more with my skin b/c she has wonderful skin, thanks mom!

Chris Taddei March 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

Hi Tina…not sure if you remember me but you and your sister came to my home day care “back in the day”! Amy is my daughter-in-law and I’m so
    glad you got to have an amazing treatment with her. She was actually the
    inspiration behind me going to aesthetics school 12 yrs ago. She continues
    to treat my skin with effective “age management” modalities and I actually
    refer my own clients to her for advanced treatments. Check out her service menu at….theskincareclinic.org

j3nn March 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

My skin has been terribly dry this winter, I can’t stand it! I’ve been very interested in microdermabrasion for awhile and just might try it. I abused my skin in my teenage years between tanning salons + smoking, so now I’m trying to do damage control! I like the green tea idea. Sounds refreshing.

Meg March 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

OK I used the green tea last night and maybe it’s just me but I did see a difference this morning already (so I used it again this morning too!)

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen March 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love the green tea on a cotton ball tip!! I plan on making a lot of iced green tea this summer anyways, so I can’t wait to try it!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee March 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the skin care tips! Nothing I eat really affects my skin, but I break out naturally once a month. The fresh mozza on your sandwich looks tasty! I love fresh mozza more than most anything. :)