• WOD 12.1 at CrossFit ONE

February 25, 2012

Yay!

Good times with CrossFit 781!

Last night, a group of us traveled to Reebok CrossFit ONE for a special event to kick-off the first WOD of the Open.

Reebok CrossFit One is basically a CrossFit mecca. It’s a 5,000 square-foot facility (twice the size of CrossFit 781), which is surrounded by playing fields and outdoor space. It’s pretty amazing, and we were all excited to be there and workout in such a nice space.

Our group arrived about an hour before the event officially started, so we had plenty of time to register and warm-up before the workout. During this time, I also caused quite the commotion by knocking over about twenty PVC pipes and making a huge mess. People stared. I turned bright red with embarrassment. You can’t bring me anywhere.

At the start of the event, the folks from CrossFit ONE welcomed and thanked everyone for coming, and then briefly explained the rules and regulations for the Burpees and how the counting would work with a partner and score sheet.

About five minutes later, it was my turn to participate in the first heat of the WOD. (There were three heats all together.) I was pretty nervous, so I figured I should just get it over with as soon as possible.

3… 2… 1…GO!

I was pretty sore from the previous day’s attempt at Burpees, so I wasn’t sure how I’d feel on my second try, but I wanted to give it another go because I had so many “no-reps” (no repetitions), and I knew I could get them. Mal said I didn’t look as strong as I did the day before, but he could see just how badly I wanted each and every one of those Burpees. I didn’t let myself stop, and I obsessively made sure to touch the ring with both hands every.single.time.

IMG_0491 (600x800)IMG_0508 (800x600)

My pace started to slow around 65 or so, but as soon as the last 90 seconds approached, I cranked out as many Burpees as I could until the buzzer sounded.

Annnnddd… I did 96 Burpees in 7 minutes! HOORAY!

I was so happy, but so exhausted! Burpees are no joke!

The second heat included Kim and Mal.

Ready? Burpee!

IMG_0551 (600x800)IMG_0550 (600x800)

Kim busted out 66 Burpees! Mal didn’t do as many as he did the day before, but he’s gunning to beat his score tomorrow at open gym.

The last heat was Will, Robo, and Kayla.

CrossFit 781 guttin’ in out!

They all did a great job. Both guys did 99 Burpees and Kayla rocked 50, which was 3 more than she did the first time! Woot! I’m so proud of everyone!

CrossFit 781!

Once everyone completed the WOD, we enjoyed a delicious (and Paleo-friendly) buffet dinner with lots of brightly-colored salads, marinated and roasted veggies, pulled pork, veggie burgers, and “meat on a stick” (according to Mal).

It was really good food!

IMG_0619 (800x600)IMG_0620 (800x600)

My plate + a beer:

After dinner, we had a little fun playing on all of the fun equipment at CrossFit ONE.

IMG_0626 (600x800)IMG_0627 (600x800)

Monkey Bar race?

IMG_0628 (600x800)IMG_0629 (600x800)

CrossFit = playtime.

Thanks for a fun event, CrossFit ONE! See you again soon!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope February 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Dude, I’m jealous. This looks like so much fun!
    And you’re a burpee rockstar. My fiance and I both tied for 60, and that was ROUGH. You must have great aerobic capacity!!

Joss February 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Congratz on all those burpees :D

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

what a fun time!! it’s neat that you guys all seemed to bond so well. strong work on your burpees! woohoo!

Erika February 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Hi Tina,
    Loved this post because I just signed up for CrossFit!! I am nervous/anxious and excited. I start my On-Ramp class in early March. Keep the CrossFit posts coming! :)

Tina February 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

@Erika: Woohoo! Let me know what you think! :)

katie @ KatieDid February 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

awesome job tina!! That place looks like a huge jungle gym- love it!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies February 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Ninety-six burpees?! My body is aching just thinking about it! Way to go!

Cait's Plate February 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Okay you’ve officially convinced me now! CrossFit looks like so much fun!!

Chris February 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Congrats on 12.1!! You should be so unbelievably proud of yourself…and Mal! I got to 73 on my second attempt and my tank was empty. You are such an inspiration!!

Patricia February 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Great seeing and running with you today, Tina! CrossFit ONE looks AMAZING! Hopefully they’ll have more events and I can visit…haha!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Congrats on your burpess! That’s awesome! I know you don’t follow the paleo diet, but I do have a question about beer. Do you know how people on the paleo diet feel about beer, since it’s made from wheat? I would think they’d avoid it? Haha but they were serving it there, which is what made me ask the question!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 25, 2012 at 5:32 pm

You guys have inspired me to a new goal: 50 burpees nonstop!
    Great job reaching 96!! That’s so incredible!!

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Whoa! 96 burpees in 7 minutes! I don’t think I could 96 burpees in 107 minutes (okay, maybe, but nowhere close to 7). I’d say crossfit is definitely keeping you in tip-top shape!

Alaina February 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I just tried doing 15 burpees today and I pretty much died. 96 is awesome Tina!!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

How fun! I completed the workout Friday and got 64 burpees.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 25, 2012 at 8:13 pm

NICE job on the burpees!!

Corrie Anne February 25, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Omg. You rocked those burpees!! That looks so fun!

Chelsea February 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I love reading your posts because I can just see your enthusiasm through the words <3

Khushboo February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Just reading about burpees tires me out…way to go!

Pernille February 26, 2012 at 5:51 am

Just wanted to comment for the first time.. I am a reader from Denmark, and I started crossfit in January and loves it. On thursday we did the Open workout with burpees and I did 85 in 7 min, I am so proud of myself! I didn’t know what to expect going in but I just told myself to not take any breaks, so I started in a slow pace and just kept going and of course picked up the pace at the end when I still had energy left.

And I like your blog a lot! :)

Tina February 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

@Pernille: Nice job!!! :)

Heidi @ Idlehide February 26, 2012 at 6:23 am

96 Burpees! You kicked a lot of butt out there:)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl February 26, 2012 at 2:00 pm

OMG! I love the picture of you laying on the floor. I would feel the same way after cranking out a ton of burpees like that.

And I bet the PVC pipes made quite a large ruckus. Glad you didn’t get hurt. Except a little on the pride. But sounds like that was quickly dusted off. ;)

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio February 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

So awesome!!! Y’all are rockin it!

SkinnyRunner February 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

girl you are a beast! i wouldnt want to meet you in a dark alley :)

Tina February 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

LOL! :)

Sable@SquatLikeALady February 26, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I’m not trying to come across as rude and that’s definitely a great accomplishment (your burpees) buuut did you get permission to post everyone else’s results??? I just can’t imagine this type of thing is doing anything to assuage the fears many gym newbies have that others are watching their progress and keeping track/commenting on it.

Tina February 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

We share/post our scores after every workout on a big white board. Most people find this practice really motivating. I know I do, and I’m still considered a newbie!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope February 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

@Sable@SquatLikeALady: Don’t ever go to CrossFit, then, because everything you do is written on a big white board for all to see:)

Ivana@Practicing Perfect February 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

WOW! 96 burpees is awesome. Question on the form…from the pictures it looks like you go all the way down on the ground when you kick back. Is that how they should be done? The way I’ve done them is just kicking my feet out and being in plank position before jumping my feet back in and jumping up. I’m wondering if I’ve been doing them wrong?!
    Thanks!!

Tina February 27, 2012 at 7:21 am

It sounds like you’re doing Squat Thrusts. With Burpees, you need to get your chest to the ground, get up, and then jump at least 6 inches before getting back on the ground. I think they’re a lot more challenging!

Lizzie February 27, 2012 at 11:19 am

AWESOME job! Question–when I did a Crossfit Intro class, we did a bunch of Burpees and my knees got all bruised up due to me not being able to do them without letting my knees touch the ground…how do you deal with that problem? Is there a way, or just get stronger?

Tina February 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

It sounds like you were coming down pretty hard on them. Maybe use your upper body more to lower yourself more slowly so you don’t bang your knees?

Silvia February 28, 2012 at 1:04 am

I think it’s very umpolite (read: rude) to post other girls’ results.

Tina February 28, 2012 at 6:50 am

CrossFit posts everyone’s scores on a big white board for everyone to see after a workout.