• Treadmill Workout: Make It a Double

February 21, 2012

Hooray! More treadmill workouts! I know you guys love ‘em.

Yesterday, on my half marathon training plan was 6 x 400m with 90 seconds rest. I hadn’t run in nearly a week, so I was ready to dominate this workout. Ninety seconds seemed like too much rest, so I cut it down to 45-ish seconds between intervals. Here’s how it looked on the treadmill.

Including a 1-mile warm-up, I covered 2.80 miles in less than 25 minutes. My run took much less time than I expected, so I decided to tack on a second treadmill workout. I haven’t done too many any long runs to prepare for my half marathon next month, so I figured better late than never and set out do an additional 5.20 miles to make an even 8 miles for the day. Here’s how this workout looked on the treadmill.

This workout took me about 44 minutes to complete.

Obviously, you can do one or both of these treadmill workouts depending on your goals and how much time you have available to you. You can also decrease or increase the speeds based on your abilities.

Happy running!

Joss February 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

I wish I liked the treadmill :( I’m tryin!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I should really try changing up my treadmill workouts more often. Generally I just warm up, run as long as I can/have time for (about 2-3 miles generally) and cool down.
    Time to step.it.up! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

I hope one day I warm up to the treadmill enough to love it like you do! Your speeds are awesome!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

These are 2 great ones! I might steal the first short one for a precursor to some bodyrock workouts later :)

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

Can’t wait to try the 5 mile one, thanks for posting :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

This looks like a pretty good way to cover 8 miles, it would definitely keep my mind interested! Do you remember how long it took to do the second workout, the 5.2 miles?

Tina February 21, 2012 at 10:00 am

44 minutes!

Angela February 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’m a treadmill junkie and usually don’t have problems with motivating myself to hop on and go, but lately I’ve been rrreally craving a real run outside!! Having said that though – I am with ya on the intervals. They’re definitely a great way to pass the time!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 21, 2012 at 9:50 am

i do indeed love treadmill workouts, especially this time of year! i can’t remember the last time i stepped on a treadmill without having some sort of interval workout to work with. thanks for these – looking forward to trying them out! :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

I had an unexpected long treaddie this morning, due to the fact that I got realllllllly absorbed in my audiobook and got very distracted. Good thing I was on the treadmill or I might have run to jersey.

Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

Yay intervals! It’s not too bad that you aren’t running as much. I have been doing similar training for my half and I am finding that the intervals are really helping out on my speed and overall endurance, even though I’m running less.

Khushboo February 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

Great workout..I love when runs turn out longer than planned!

Corrie Anne February 21, 2012 at 10:07 am

What a killer workout in only about an hour!! I love it!

Heidi @ Idlehide February 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love your treadmill workouts, it’s always a nice change to try a different one otherwise I get bored:) Thanks!

Cait's Plate February 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

I live vicariously through your hardcore workouts every day! I’m so jealous!!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy February 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

Your speeds are amazingly fast!!! Your warm-up is like my run speed :) You rock!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

I do something similar too, when I need to do a longer run. Makes it fly by!

Danielle February 21, 2012 at 10:36 am

Love the treadmill workouts and love your blog, Tina! Treadmill workouts inspired this video I made about the gym: http://vimeo.com/37158888
    Check it out, if you want!

Jolynn February 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

Perfect timing! I needed a new treadmill workout! Thanks Tina!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 21, 2012 at 10:57 am

Pefect! I have about 35 minutes allotted for the gym today, which should give me just enough time to do this :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

You’re a rockstar! Love both of them!

Bugarska Letovanje February 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

Congrats :) Very good tempo for 5 miles running session!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Great job! I love your interval runs.

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever February 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Impressive! I have never tried interval training on a treadmill, might have to give it a try sometime.

Lauren February 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Your CrossFit-inspired runs seem to really be paying off – you’ve gotten so speedy! (Though I think you were to begin with :)). It’s amazing how much of a role speedwork plays in making you an overall faster runner!

Kaitlyn @Keeping up with Kaitlyn February 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’m a kinda new follower to your blog, so forgive me if what I am going to ask is already been addressed. But are you training for your 1/2 marathon on the treadmill only or do you train outside as well? Just curious!

Tina February 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

@Kaitlyn @Keeping up with Kaitlyn: I’m running both indoors and outdoors! :)

~Jessica~ February 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love your treadmill workouts.

Seriously, thank you so much for posting them over the years – they’ve single handedly managed to get me through the winter so far (NE England, UK = lots of ice in winter!) Sometimes I double them up and/or alter the speeds, but I’d never be able to create one for myself. I usually just plug in a speed and go out of my mind with boredom for 12-13 miles. Ugh.

Sneakers2Sandals February 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I did a treadmill workout this morning also! I like mixing it up between in door and outdoor also. Keeps things fresh :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Intervals are the way to go with treadmill workouts. It helps with the complete boredom that comes with running in place. I don’t mind the treadmill but I can’t wait to be able to do more runs outside once the time changes and there is more light in the evening.

Angie @ Pint of Goals February 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

For being only 5’4″ (I think that’s what you said your height was), you sure can run fast! I’m 5’2″ and have never even attempted running 7.0mph. Way to go!

On another note, my husband is going to start Crossfit. I hope he likes it as much as you and Mal. I would try it but I’m training for a full and don’t want to overwhelm my body. Maybe after…

michelle kim February 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Love the double-treadmill workout! Great job!

Christy February 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Wow, a double treadmill workout?! Would love to try the first one, but does it take a lot of time away when changing speeds? So if you are resting for .05 miles, isn’t that practically the time it takes to reduce the speed, then speed up? How do you count it?

Tina February 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

@Christy: When I finish an interval, I just change the speed to the rest one and then use the distance counter to go .05 miles before changing speeds again to do the next interval.

laine February 21, 2012 at 6:37 pm

@Tina: This was going to be my question. I’m doing couch to 5K and tried it on the treadmill and felt like I spent the whole time hitting the up and down buttons. I will I will have to look for buttons that move beyond +.1 and – .1.

Miriam @ Bellaspire February 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I think intervals are a great way to train for a race since you typically speed up and slow down naturally on race day itself. Cheering you on :)

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger February 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’m a little nervous for the DC half! I haven’t done any (2) long runs and I’m worried. I’m also doing cross fit twice a week but I dont want to be dragging by the finish line! Are you planning on inserting some long runs in the next month?

Erica February 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I love when you post your treadmill workouts! I’m always looking for new ideas

Stephanie Burnham February 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hi! I have been following your blog for awhile now, and love it. I am slightly addicted to the treadmill (because I live in Oregon which makes for a rainy few months of no outside running) but I always get bored. You have inspired me to make my workouts so much more interesting and go by so quickly. I did this double workout the other day and LOVED it. I bumped it up so my slowest speed on the second workout was 6.8 to then 7.2. It was such a great way to get in 8 miles in just slightly over an hour! Keep posting these, I will continue to try them out! Oh, I’ve also done TONS of half marathons and I really suggest you do at least ONE 12 miler. Something just happens to your legs after mile 11…and it’s good to know what it feels like. Sorry for the long comment!

Tina February 23, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m glad you liked it! :)

Treadmill Review Guru October 5, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I really like the idea of those intervals. I’ve been reading up on them lately and trying them on my own treadmill and I’m beginning to think the interval training idea is pretty sound. I just had a question with how you did it. Was the only change you made to the speed? Did the incline stay the same the whole time? I’m wondering if for an interval you kept the speed the same but raised or lowered the incline for certain distances or something. Or maybe a combination of both? Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks!