• First Training Run for Reach the Beach

February 25, 2012

A Saturday morning run with friends followed brunch? Sign me up!

This morning, I joined The Most Informal Running Club Ever (TMIRCE) for a lovely 4-mile run by the Charles River. Some of the folks from Reach the Beach Relay planned to attend, so they invited our RTB team to join the group for a run.

Here I am with 1/3 of our relay team: Bridget, Elizabeth, and Patricia from Team “Off Balance”!

TMIRCE meets weekly for Saturday morning runs. They meet at City Sports on Comm Ave and offer 3, 5 or 6 mile loops around the area. They’re a fun group and everyone was really friendly!

IIMG_0632 (800x600)

At 10:30, the group headed outside to kick-off the run.

7 (640x478)

With a crack of a gong!!

5 (640x478)

Love it! I’m telling ya, this running group is fun!

I ran with Elizabeth, Bridget, and Patricia. It was a chilly, but sunny morning.

photo1 (640x478)

And really windy! It was actually pretty crazy at times—I thought I was going to get blown off of the Mass Ave bridge! Ha!

photo (640x478)

Four miles done!

After our run, we headed to brunch at Eastern Standard. I’m not sure whose idea it was, but it was an awesome one. I love Eastern Standard.

To start, I ordered a cappuccino.

And then a cheese omelet with French fries and greens for my entrée. I was craving cheese, so this meal was perfect.

And now I’m going to park my butt on my couch for the rest of the evening.

Enjoy your Saturday night, friends!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

It’s really cold and windy here today too.

I love that you got fries with an omelet, I swear I could eat fries at every meal!

Anne P. February 25, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Yay, Go Team! Wish I could’ve been there to join :)

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 25, 2012 at 6:24 pm

That sounds like fun. I love the name of the running club. It makes running sound like fun! It’s been crazy windy here as well. Can’t wait for spring weather.

Katie February 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed at the fact you guys ran today – the wind in Boston made it hard to walk!! Great job:)

Alaina February 25, 2012 at 6:51 pm

How awesome! Turns out my sister in law knows Patricia quite well! I would love to be a part of this running club. :-)

Sarah February 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

That sounds like an awesome running club! It’s right near my apt. in Brighton and sounds like it’s low key and low pressure. Love Eastern Standard – so good!!

Heather February 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I could not get over how windy it was today!

I spent a little bit of time on the couch today – and will also be spending the rest of the evening there.

jana @ newly wife healthy life February 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Looks like a great run! Gorgeous views too! :-)

Hillary February 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Love the name of that running group—sounds right up my alley!

Joss February 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm

mmmm french fries :D

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 25, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Looks like fun! It’s great that you join these clubs!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

What a fun morning! How cool that you meet up with so many runners and find events–way to go :) I too am parking my butt on the couch. SO.tired.

Catalina @ Cake with Love February 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Love french fries for breakfast!! You are very brave running in windy wheather, I cant even work straight!

Jordan@almondjay February 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I used to live right near that City Sports at Packard’s Corner! I miss Boston :)

Angela@ Happy Fit Mama February 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Sounds like a fun group! I’m planning on starting up with my local running group soon for Saturday morning runs. Great way to start the day!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Love the fries AND salad with the omelet…best of both worlds!

Lily February 25, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Sounds like a nice way to spend your Saturday morning! Hope you had a great day :)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies February 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I had a four-miler scheduled for today, too, but although it was super sunny and pretty out, it was just too darn cold and windy. I wussed out – which means I’ll be heading out tomorrow. :)

Andrea (@FrSeed2Stomach) February 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

it was crazy windy out there today! I can’t believe you ran over the river with those gusts! Good for you!!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

That looks like so much fun! I ran with a running group a couple times in college and, at the time, I was way too worried about being too slow, but now I think I’d be able to just relax and enjoy it :-)

Khushboo February 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm

All that cheesy goodness looks great!

Cait's Plate February 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

It was crazy windy here too (and at one point started flurrying!) – good for you for getting out and doing a run! I thought about it and was like “nope!” Haha

Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third February 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

That running group looks like a blast! Too bad my training run was done on the treadmill, blasting music to try to distract me, and counting down each second. Yours seems much more up my alley!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm

That looks like such a fun time! I’ve always wanted to try running with a running group, but I’ve never tried connecting with one. Maybe this spring when I start running outdoors again I’ll look into it. :)

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot February 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Haha, Tina! I love the gong! Too funny. Love all the pictures! Looks like you had a great time!

Emily @ Life on Food February 26, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Here I am making a fancy Sunday night dinner and all I want now are fries and an omelet. Yum! Love the gong!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio February 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Looks fun Tina! Running with friends is the best.

Megan February 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm

What a small world – Patricia and I went to high school together in California!

Andy February 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hi Tina. This is Andy, the gonger from Saturday. It was great getting to meet you and the team yesterday. Of course it goes without saying, you and your lovely readership are always welcome to join us for some running and Saturday brunch!

Tina February 27, 2012 at 7:23 am

@Andy: Thanks so much for having me on Saturday! I had a great time with you guys! :)

Anna, fitscally responsible February 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I think I recognize some of those sites from when I did a bike tour in Boston last spring! I could be making that up though since it was a whirlwind. I definitely recognize the river.

It looks like a really fun running group.

Those fries look amazing. Fries are my weakness so I gave them up for my new years resolution. I am sure I’ll be making a stop at a bar next Jan 1 to enjoy a bowl of waffle fries and seasoned sour cream dip :)

michelle kim February 27, 2012 at 2:15 am

A four-mile run around the river with friends, followed by a yummy breakfast? Sounds like a wonderful Sunday morning :)

alain February 27, 2012 at 9:36 am

Note to self: wear a longer shirt next time i pretend to be one side of a goal post. Good luck with your RTB training! -a

Martin February 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

Great post Tina and really good to meet you in person. Keep up the great work with the team, it’s awesome to read about all the training. And keep coming back to TMIRCE too whenever possible!

Sarah February 27, 2012 at 11:31 am

I can’t believe I had the wrong day in my head!!! I had a black tie event on Friday and was too hungover when I realized I had the wrong day… oops. Next time I will be there and I have been dying to try Eastern Standard for Brunch!!