• Divide and Conquer

February 12, 2012

Open gym at CrossFit was a lot of fun this morning. I loved Helen. It was an awesome WOD. I already want to attempt it again to see if I can do it faster!

I love WODs that include running—mostly because it’s a skill that I’m confident in my abilities. I’m still trying to feel out almost everything else at CrossFit, but with running, I don’t need to think about it. I just go and do it. And I can usually keep up with the CrossFit superstars!

For Helen, I did the prescribed weight for women on Kettle Bells and used a band for the pull-ups. I finished in 12:21.

Lunch

After CrossFit, I headed home for lunch, which was scrambled eggs with green bell pepper, tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, a scoop of Greek yogurt, and some freshly ground pepper on top. Delish!

I finished off lunch with an Adora disk dipped in peanut butter.

Then, I headed out with coupons in hand to tackle our grocery shopping for the week.

After spending $130 at Whole Paycheck Foods last week, Mal and I were determined to rein it in with our grocery budget this week. Our plan of attack: divide and conquer. I headed to Stop & Shop to buy the majority of the items on our list while Mal hit up Whole Foods for the meat and bulk bins.

Mal and I try to buy organic as often as we can, but we don’t all of the time. There are some (non-organic) products that we just like, so we buy them and enjoy them. Much of the time, these items are a lot cheaper at Stop & Shop than Whole Foods. Stop & Shop also has a nice selection of more affordable organic products, so we shop there to save money. However, Stop & Shop doesn’t carry USDA-certified organic meat, so we spend an arm and leg on it at Whole Foods. It’s worth it though—it tastes so good!

Mal and I still managed to spend $100 on groceries this week, but I feel like we got more for our dollar. Hey, I’m just glad we didn’t spend $130 this time!

Snack

When I returned from grocery shopping, Mal was snacking on celery + peanut butter, so I helped myself to a bunch, but I never snapped a photo. Sorry!

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: CrossFit
    • Monday: 5 x 400 with 60 sec. rest + CrossFit
    • Tuesday: Off
    • Wednesday: Off
    • Thursday: Workout with Harley Pasternak + CrossFit
    • Friday: Long run or CrossFit
    • Saturday: CrossFit

Mal and I scheduled our Outback date into this week’s meal planning, so we’re headed there for dinner tonight. I hope it’s good. Neither of us have been there since the first time we dated in 1998!

See ya in the morning!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Dividing and conquering is always a good plan! I’m interested to see how Neal and I do after we get married.

Patricia February 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Great post, Tina! I know what you mean about shopping at Whole Foods…I love their meat selection, but everything else is so expensive. I go to Russo’s in Watertown for veggies, especially those that I choose not to buy organic, and I get so much more for less! Have a great week and dinner date tonight!

Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It February 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm

hey, a total of $18 in savings is not bad!! have a great rest of your sunday:)

Hilary February 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Now just how do they come up with the names for these WOD’s?…Who is Helen? LOL. LOVE the Outback…but we don’t have it in Canada anymore! :(

TanyaS February 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Still in Canada, at least we have 2 of them in Edmonton.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

It is so easy to rack up the bill at Whole Foods! I love it there, but I always leave wishing I spent less.

Devyn February 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Nice work out! When you do your cross fit is about 12 minutes really the total time of the work out?

Katie February 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

May I ask a question I have been wondering about crossfit (I can’t seem to find this answer in any faq’s) – are there times when your workout is literally just 15 minutes? For example, today did you drive to the gym and then do this workout and leave? It sounds like a great workout, but do you need to do anything else in addition to these shorter workouts to increase your calorie burn? This is obviously coming from someone who is afraid to give up too much cardio given my whole mantra of “I’d rather workout than diet”. ;)
    Thanks!

Deva @ Deva by Definition February 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

@Katie: I was just wondering the same thing: are the WODs just the WOD or is there a warm-up/cool-down plus other strength exercise? I feel like I am missing something WRT the CrossFit workout breakdown.

ilovefetacheese February 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm

@Deva @ Deva by Definition: For a normal crossfit session, there is typically a 15 min warm up and 10 min cool down. Even though the workout itself may range from 7 (yes 7!!) mins to 45 mins, it usually takes at least 40 mins for me to leave Crossfit. On our Sunday WODs, which tend to be longer, I’ve spent up to 2 hours at the gym. But usually they stay within the scheduled allotment (which is typically 1 hour).

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

@Katie: I was going to ask the SAME thing!

Lauren K February 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm

@chelsey @ clean eating chelsey: There is typically a warm-up at most gyms (group or individual if it’s written on the board) and usually there is a strength/skill to work on prior to the WOD). For example, you might do 3 sets of 5 reps in back squat increasing weight as you go. For open gym, it would be up to you if you want to add on to the WOD but Helen is tough on it’s own (even if it only takes 12 minutes)! Before I started CrossFit, I never thought I could be that tired after such short workouts. Tina’s gym may differ but this is what I have experienced!

Tina February 13, 2012 at 6:51 am

@chelsey @ clean eating chelsey: @Deva @ Deva by Definition: @Katie: My CrossFit starts with a 15-minute warm-up and then moves onto a skill (ex: rope climbing) or strength training (ex: Dead Lifts) for 15-25 minutes. The remaining part of the class is the WOD + cool down. Even though the WOD is typically short (and a butt kicker), you’re at the gym for a solid hour.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I love that your crossfit has open gym, that sounds like a fun way to mix things up during the week!

katie @ KatieDid February 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I found as I started eating more paleo my grocery bill went up, keep in mind if you’re going to eat that way you may want to re-budget for groceries. I think its 100% worth the investment though!

Tina February 13, 2012 at 6:53 am

@katie @ KatieDid: So true! And it’s crazy that we eat EVERYTHING we buy! At the beginning of the week, our fride is so full, but by the end of the week it’s totally empty!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm

We do the same thing with groceries but we don’t have a Whole Foods. We have a local grocery store that sells organic produce cheaper than the upscale store. We go upscale for our organic chicken, fish or if they have a better selection of fruit/veggies that day.

KerriAnn February 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

This week was a high shopping bill for me too. I try to spend under $60 a week, since its just me & my cat. This week I spent $65, even with having just spent $25 (groupon) on meat at the butcher shop. But I have a fridge full of veggies, a freezer full of meat & won’t be having my Friday take-out lunch to make up for it.

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm

You’re definitely right about Whole Foods being Whole Paycheck! It is a good idea to buy what you can at other places. I honestly haven’t taken the plunge for good quality meat yet. It’s partially because I already upped our grocery budget when I realized that I needed a lot more protein (so I just buy lean meat from Sam’s Club). Also, I’m really trying to encourage myself to eat more meat and protein (as I naturally gravitate toward empty carbs), and feeling guilty about spending so much on that doesn’t help it. However, in theory, I do agree that it’s worth the investment. I think I just need to ease into a little bit. I have started buying higher quality eggs since the investment isn’t as high.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 12, 2012 at 8:16 pm

So true on Whole Foods, lately I’ve only been buy just the few items I need that I can’t get anywhere else and bulk shopping at Costco or Trader Joe’s.

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I’m totally like you when it comes to what I buy at different grocery stores. Typically I only purchase specialty items like meat and fish at Whole Foods and the rest at our local store. I used to live down the street from the mecca of all Whole Foods in Austin and it was really hard to resist not going there every day and spending a fortune. Thank goodness there isn’t one within 50 miles from where I live now. Not everything needs to be bought organic, in my opinion, but with some things, I definitely think it’s worth it. Thanks for this great post!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 12, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I always leave crossfit wanting to redo my WOD, because I realize where I could make up time!

Ash Bear February 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

That’s a great idea to divide and conquer. We do that in a different way as well with Amazon. We order our bulk items on there to save money and then get the rest at Whole Foods or our local grocery store.

Alaina February 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’ve done the divide and conquer before: I like to shop Trader Joe’s as much as possible and then buy produce at Stop ‘n’ Shop.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl February 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

So jealous I don’t have a WF in my area! And as for the WOD, while it looks great… I’d have success with about 1 pull up. LOL. Have fun at Outback!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats February 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Tina,

Love all your grocery shopping budget posts and any advice you can give on the matter! I just moved out of my hometown and am really struggling with how much I should be spending on food! I’m trying to use Mint.com but as a food lover (and omg I have to try new products!) it’s been kind of hard! Thanks for your tips!

Hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip to The Outback! That actually sounds really good…

Meg @ Spandex in the City February 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Haha I love the term Whole paycheck…soo true !
    But once one enters the awesomeness that is Whole Foods, it’s like everything looks so good and healthy and the tummy talks more than the wallet. Amirite.

I want to see a food scale at the salad/hot food bar, so you can keep in ‘check’ how much your plate will actually end up costing. So many times I’m like ohhh it’ll be just $6…and at the register it weighs in at like $10.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I think that is an AWESOME idea to divide and conquer! Thanks for the idea :)

Cheryl at eatplayluvblog February 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Last time I was talking about how jealous I was of being in driving, walking, eating distance of a Whole Foods with a friend, she told me she lovingly refers to it as Whole Paycheque. I thought it was funny! I managed to find a non-chain grocery store/market that has the same effect…

BethT February 12, 2012 at 10:53 pm

OMG, I love Outback. Bloomin’ Onion forever! Even if it has the distinction of being the world’s unhealthiest restaurant food…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I can’t think of a week that we don’t spend at least $100 in groceries! I’m always amazed when people can budget and keep grocery bills below that.
    Hope you enjoyed lots of Outback bread (my favorite) :)

Megan @ Megan's Munchies February 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Hope you enjoyed dinner! I went to Outback a couple weeks ago and it was very good!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love the teamwork with you and Mal splitting up to do the grocery shopping!

Casey @ OatsAndNanners February 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I love that you keep posting your CrossFit workouts! For those of us with no access to the program, it’s really fun to steal some cool moves. I don’t know if I would be able to survive half of the workout!

Khushboo February 13, 2012 at 12:26 am

As expensive as Wholefoods can be, I find that with most thing the quality makes up for it…but like you said, some products aren’t worth it over there!

Libby February 13, 2012 at 6:44 am

I wish we had a Whole Foods near us, my nearest is London (I live in the UK) which is just too far! It wouldn’t be as good as the US ones anyway I doubt!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 13, 2012 at 7:06 am

I love grocery shopping so much that I even love reading about other people’s grocery shopping adventures :-) Hope your dinner at Outback was great! I haven’t been there in a little while – and it was on an early date with my boyfriend!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 13, 2012 at 7:36 am

I spend way too much on groceries too… and I don’t even have a WF near me. :P It’s just so easy to go overboard on food!

emilie derotte February 13, 2012 at 8:05 am

how wheight the kettlebell prescribes for women?

Tina February 13, 2012 at 8:06 am

@emilie derotte: 35 pounds.

emilie derotte February 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

@Tina: ok :) i take the same on my workout :)
    do you work with TRX? i am a big fan of this type of workout

Emily February 13, 2012 at 10:32 am

Nice job on the workout. I think I can understand aboutthe running thing. You know you’ve got it, so that’s one part you don’t have to think about!

April February 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Not sure how much freezer space you have, but if you have some to spare, I highly recommend stocking up on organic staples at Costco. They carry a lot of certified organic items including sugar, agave nectar, ground beef, chicken, coffee, quinoa, brown rice, etc. and other healthy staples like greek yogurt and nuts at much cheaper prices than the grocery store!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 14, 2012 at 12:38 am

Oh Whole Foods….never fails to pain my wallet ;)