• Running + CrossFit: A Match Made In Heaven?

January 5, 2012

Now that I’ve been doing CrossFit for almost a month, I’ve noticed that it really interferes with my running— not really my motivation to run, but my physical ability to actually do it. Typically, I’m too exhausted to run after a CrossFit workout, so I try to run before, but, sometimes, my body is just too tired from the previous day’s workout, so I skip my run all together. (Maybe I’m just a wuss?)

I’m planning to start training for the Rock ‘N’ Roll USA Half Marathon next week, but I’m starting to get a little worried about how I’m going to fit in all of those training miles. I should probably just cut back on CrossFit, but I really love it—maybe even more so than running?! I also don’t want to drop out of the half marathon because I know it’s going to be a lot fun. I guess I just haven’t found the right balance yet, but I’m definitely going to keep trying!

With that said, I ran 3.5 miles at the gym today! Woohoo!

Has anyone successfully trained for a half marathon (or marathon or other endurance event) and regularly attended CrossFit at the same time? Any advice is appreciated!

Snack

After my run, I came home and made myself a snack: banana slices with a scoop of peanut butter. Eating it in a mug was actually kind of fun—mostly because I was able to get a glob of peanut butter on every single piece of banana. Oh, it’s the little things in life…

IMG_0001-2 (600x800)IMG_0003-2 (800x600)

Lunch

A couple of hours later, I headed to NuVal, where I ate lunch at my desk. I started with a salad of mixed greens, broccoli, carrots, hard boiled eggs, potatoes, garlic hummus, dried basil, ground pepper, and truffle oil. Holy yum and holy filling!

IMG_0007-2 (800x600)

I finished off lunch with some French vanilla yogurt.

IMG_0006-2 (800x600)

Snack

When I got home from NuVal, I snacked on a handful of almonds, which I took with me while I walked Murphy.

IMG_0012-2 (800x600)

When I got home, I was still hungry, so I chopped up some veggies for a second snack.

IMG_0015-2 (800x600)

Of course, the pug wasn’t far from the chopping action.

IMG_0016-2 (800x600)

Snack #2 was veggies with horseradish hummus. Oh, yes, you read that correctly. Tribe makes horseradish hummus, and it delicious! I’m a big fan.

IMG_0025-2 (800x600)

Off to CrossFit!

Danielle January 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

This may sound silly..but have you decreased your carbs since starting cross-fit? I know they encourage a paleo type diet so I am curious if you’ve felt the need to follow this to achieve maximum results:)

Danielle

Ali January 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I didn’t read through the other comments… so maybe this was already said. I am a CrossFitter and I have also coached CrossFit for over a year. If you are doing CrossFit correctly, you shouldn’t have to run ANY additional miles for a race like a 10k, maybe even a half-marathon. You should be “generally physically prepared” enough to handle that distance, as easily as if you had been only running.

That being said, you might want to throw in a longish run, just to keep your body used to the distance (or you’ll feel it the next day hard). I honestly think you can throw away your traditional running plan and only run a few times a week. You’ll be surprised what those 5-20 min high intensity workouts will do for your endurance.

I used to be a hard-core runner in college. After 4 years of not running at all and only 1 year of CrossFit, I beat my 10k time in the same race I ran 5 years prior. You’ll hear stories like that from a lot of runners turned CrossFitters – but you won’t be convinced until you do it for yourself.

Also, I know your coaches personally at 781, so ask them and they will help you :)

Julie January 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

@Ali: I am also a CrossFit trainer and I 100,000% agree with you, Ali! If I were you, Tina, I would CrossFit 3 times a week and add in one long run. You will do amazing with that combo. CrossFit always crushes any other physical activity (addiction wise)

Coach Dani January 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

@Julie:
    Ladies, I just read Tina’s post and was literally frantically scrolling down to the bottom of your page to comment as quickly as I could! Tina, you are going to be SHOCKED at how easy it is going to feel when you run a long distance, especially if you give it another month or so. The WODs we do are specifically geared to increase your endurance, whether you realize it or not.
    Remind me to chat with you more about this next time I see you. In the meantime, search around on the web for CrossFitters that are also runners, that have run FULL marathons with virtually no long runs. Also, check out crossfitendurance.com. Those guys are geniuses, and though they do CrossFit 6X a week, they also do insane runs (100 milers I guess?!!). See you soon, hope this helps!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family January 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm

@Coach Dani: Ahh so glad to have read this today! I am a CrossFitter too and getting ready for a 1/2 marathon in April. Good to hear your suggestions!

Alicia B. January 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

@Julie: This is SO great to know. As a novice runner (who has done CrossFit in the past and loved it), I have been wondering about this for a while. Instead of doing CrossFit, I’ve done TRX for nearly a year, which when combined with running, has really helped me slim down.

- Alicia
    @leximaven

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I have the same problem with running and strength training activities! I love pushing hard during strength workouts but then I can’t run for days! With my first marathon in March, I really need to figure out a balance! I will be awaiting any insight you might find. LOL!
    ~Ang

Laura January 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I would definitely cut down on the CrossFit. Your post earlier this week showed 6 days of CF, which is A LOT, especially since you’re just starting out. Also, you need some rest days to recover! I would cut back on CF (3 times a week) and take a full on rest day before any days you plan on doubling up on running and CrossFit. Of course, it depends on your mileage & what the WOD for the day is. Try not to schedule long runs on days around leg-centric WODs. I’ve also found I have to be a lot more flexible with my schedule since you don’t know what the WOD is going to be until the day before.

Lindsey January 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I have not tried CrossFit but a good friend of mine who is also a Boston Qualifying marathon runner started doing Crossfit last year and found that it really negatively impacted her running performance, both in training (speed workouts and long runs especially) and racing. Since running was more important to her, she gave it up entirely and now supplements running with yoga and upper body/core strength training only. But that’s just one person’s perspective…and everyone is different!

Kate January 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I’ve never done Crossfit, but it sounds so intense that I couldn’t imagine doing it and training for a long distance race at the same time.

Anna January 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I’m having a similar ‘problem’ with weight training and cardio. I am focusing on doing weight training to increase muscle mass with the LiveFit trainer. But for the beginning, you aren’t suppose to do any cardio. I had some races in mind for the spring but think I might just not do them? Ugh…guess there could be worse problems to have but I feel your pain!!

Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food January 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I did both (crossfit 4-5 days a week, 4 weekly runs, 1 long run) during marathon training and it worked beautifully. But I do not have to do that for shorter races. It was my first marathon and even after I had to quit EVERYTHING for 4 weeks in October after getting a bad case of rhabdo, I was able to finish the marathon and start back running 3 days later. I was a runner first for 5 years and the only reason I tried crossfit 2 years ago was because I have to do serious strength training on my legs to prevent IT band problems. I have to run. It’s my therapy–many days my running is at a very easy pace. But I absolutely love what crossfit has done for my running. I knocked 48 minutes off a trail marathon, ran a half mary up a mountain, and knocked off time from 5ks–all with minimal running. As long as I’m consistent in crossfit, I can decrease my running when training for anything half marathon and under. In fact, after the tornadoes last April, I didn’t run or crossfit between April 27 and May 13. Not even a shake out run. I woke up, lined up and still knocked 48 minutes off the previous year. That is ALL from crossfit. Bottom line, any race half mary and under, you could really cut back on so many runs. I run often because the peace and happiness of my cat and husband depend on it ;-)

Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food January 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm

@Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food:

I should clarify. On the 2-a-days of CF and running, there would be at least 9 hours, usually more like 11-12 hours between workouts. I do CF at 5:30 am class and run after work around 4-7pm. My running did not interfere with CF the next morning, but I really paid attention to my fueling. I generally do better with lower carb because I’m diabetic, but I would eat more carbs in the morning than at night. Oats and banana for 2 breakfasts, carbs/protein at lunch, and lots of protein/veggies at night.

Shahla January 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Feb. Runners world has an article on crossfit and running. You
    Might want to read it. But crossfit complements Running and the article also has running workouts too.

wendy January 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I saw you had some posts from CrossFit trainers, so I would definitely follow their advice – they would know! – and talk to the trainers at your gym. I also agree with the poster above, though, who commented about 6 days/week of CrossFit being a lot, especially for a CF newbie. The main site recommends 3 days on, 1 day off, for established athletes.

For marathon/half training, you might also want to look into CrossFit Endurance for a training plan (CFE was actally featured in this month’s Runner’s World). I was following a CFE-esque plan for a marathon last fall, and it was going REALLY well until I injured my foot. I want to train for a spring half, and that’s how I’m going to train again.

Alicia January 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I haven’t read through previous comments. I used to do Crossfit and absolutely loved it! However, my muscles were constantly sore and my hands were ripped from doing kipping pullups. I stopped doing Crossfit because it interferred with rock climbing (my first love). However, I still dream of the workouts – just wish I could leave those pull ups behind so I keep my hands for climbing!

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop January 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I left a comment earlier but I just had to comment again. Do you have the February issue of Runner’s World??? There is an article that I just started reading that will really interest you! It is about a power lifter turned ultramarathoner who does CrossFit and HIIT in order to train for marathons! He says that the continual running is unnecessary and he trains better doing his style of workout. This is exactly the answer you were looking for!!! You need to pick up a copy!!
    ~Ang
    PS. I just got it in the mail 2 days ago so it might not be in stores yet so be careful to get the February issue and not the January.

Melanie January 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

You have totally inspired me to get into crossfit and learn more about it. My boyfriend and I have been avid runners for the past couple of years and while we love running we decided we need a new challenge. I have been frequently showing him your blog. We joined a gym this passed weekend and went for the first time on Wednesday. It was awesome! I am still running though not as much. Since I ran a half marathon in October I find my hip is giving me problems. I think it is due to me not keeping up with strengthening exercises while training. That’s ok though because I only plan to get stronger!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm

All of your snacks and meals looks so healthy and delicious! I never did Cross Fit, actually not sure what it is, I am going to look into it, I need a challenge!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I guess just cutting back on crossfit to maybe 3-4 days a week, and coincide it with your short run days, that’s what I do with strength training to save time!

Hillary of GRAS Pizza January 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Trader Joe’s also makes some yummy horseradish hummus. I LOVE it!!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Everything is better out of a mug! Cereal, soup, broccoli, banner soft serve…everything! The handle is key…

Cheryl January 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I never trained for any big races at the same time as cross fit, but I did teach 4 spin classes a week while doing a 3x/week cross fit class. I usually did two a days…crossfit in the morning, teaching at night. I was crazy and ran on top of this and did some of my own workouts, but I was always on the verge of injury. I got hurt that winter and realized something…you can do it all, but you can’t do it all at once!

I think I failed on recovery in general. Sleep, nutrition, foam rolling, etc.

I bet you could balance the two. Less crossfit and smart training would work, I’d think. I’m sure you’re learning about DOMS and the science of recovery in your personal training journey so I think you could make it work. Just as a side note, I find that a lot of CrossFitters promote paleo diets, which is fine and dandy but unless you’re very smart about it and dedicated, I think it makes being an endurance athlete a challenge. I know there’s a paleo diet for athletes book out there, but I feel better on grains and carbs when I’m running (or biking or swimming) as much as I do. It’s all trial and error though!

Good luck. :)

Kristin January 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm
    Mackenzie January 5, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I wish I was old enough to do Crossfit! It looks awesome! On tv the other day was a “Fittest Man and Woman in the World” competition and it was Crossfit training/competitions!

Anyway, I was showed this video in biology today and I found it very inspirational and would love for you to take a minute to watch it!! Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Elizabeth4 January 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

A good friend of mine, has a son who ran the Baltimore Marathon while doing Crossfit. He loved it. He felt really strong and physical thought he was in the best shape of his life. He would only run about 3 times a week and that mainly being a long run on Saturday and a easy run on Sunday. Then a short easy run during the week.

I would have to say this however. Girls have more issues I feel with just going out and running. Which is kinda of what he said he did. He felt the only way he got through the running was because of the Crossfit training, not because he trained well in his running.

Is that confusing?

All in all, I think that he was glad to do both at the same time. But when I asked him the same question you asked, he suggested that I train for one thing at a time, to make sure that I would not injure myself while training for a 1/2 or full marathon. I have ran a couple 1/2 and personally would not do Crossfit while doing this, but I would still do some type of conditioning.

kurston January 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Hi!!

Sorry if I’m repeating a previous post, don’t really have time to read them all.

I am also a somewhat new follower of the Crossfit cult as well as a previous endurance fanatic. I had ran 6 half marathons in the years leading up to my taking up Crossfit, and I honestly had started CF hoping to improve my speed and strength so I could maybe knock out a full marathon.
    I tried to squeeze in the miles and the metcons into my already way too full schedule and it was an utter disaster. So, following my newfound obsession, I gave CF the right-a-way and stubbornly said goodbye to my previous philosophy of “the more the merrier” when it came to running.
    The result?
    I ran maybe twice a week, never more than 6 miles, while getting in at least 4 regular classes at my affiliate as well as 2 Oly specific classes per week. After this routine for about two months I got a wild hair and ran a local half marathon. Much to my suprise, my time was just 4 minutes slower than my lifetime PR and my body felt GREAT. That said, after seeing for myself how utterly wrong and cardio heavy my previous workout routine was, all while falling in love with all things CF, I have lost interest in running a full marathon and instead look forward to a future filled with WODs, CF competitions, and paleolitic meals. And, consequentially, stellar health.

Kelli January 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m a crossfitter and compete in 5k, 10k and half marathon races. I think the hardest part is the mental breakdown of not thinking I’m getting enough “training” miles in before a longer race. However, if I keep my focus on getting stronger and faster with Crossfit, my racing performance continues to improve as well, regardless of training runs. I hadn’t run more than 7 miles before my last half marathon and I stayed within 2 minutes of my PR. Of the 5ks and 10ks in the last 6 months, I have not been running at all, just Crossfitting, and I have PR’d with every race. Go after it, and if you are loving CF, then continue going after it and you’ll definitely see progress in all of your performances!

Khushboo January 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I would cut down running to maybe once (max twice) a week instead of trying to burn the candle of both ends!

Jessica January 6, 2012 at 1:04 am

I love horseradish!! I also eat out of mugs a lot too…. especially cereal, it helps me with portion control since I can easily eat half a box :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 6, 2012 at 1:58 am

I also had a similar question…

I like strength training, but generally, I feel like I get a “better workout” from cardio. Because of this, I often skip out on weights. Crossfit sounds like a good balance between the two!

Leng January 6, 2012 at 2:54 am

oh that’s tough to find a balance between two things you really enjoy. I feel that’s a constant struggle for me. I’m sure you can find a balance though… in the meantime, maybe you could try doing more cross fit one week and then more running another. That way you still get your training in for your races and still build up those important muscles to enhance running. Good luck!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 6, 2012 at 6:38 am

Good luck balancing Crossfit and marathon training! You’re going to be in great shape afterward!

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) January 6, 2012 at 7:04 am

Tina, l love the post and thank you for your earlier email to me. I just signed up for my first marathon the same day I started Crossfit. I find that if I attend evening classes, I can run in the morning. Yesterday I did 6 miles before class, and the day before I did 5. I am, however, rearranging my long run so that it falls on a Crossfit-free day. I am more sore than I’ve ever been. I will keep you updated on how long I can do both. Sore. Sore. Sore!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 6, 2012 at 8:05 am

I don’t do Crossfit, but I can definitely relate when it comes to running and strength training! When I do a leg workout, there is no way I’m able to run the next day!

Katie @ cooklaughmove January 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

I have the same issue with TRX! I LOVE TRX and am training for a half but my legs always feel so tired. I hate to quit TRX but want to run a strong half too and without strong training that isn’t possible.

I’m going to try cutting out the pylometrics (just doing static moves) and going a little slower on the legs portion for less reps and see if that helps reduce my lower body fatigue.

Heather @ Run Eat Play January 6, 2012 at 8:22 am

All your veggies and salad look so good. I have never heard of horseradish hummus. I’ll have to look for it. I know that I have a free tribe hummus coupon around here somewhere!

Sarah@The Flying ONION January 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

I’m loving your snack choices! :D

I’m not an expert on this topic, but I can definitely relate. I’ve done some intense yoga sessions the day before a really long run during training, and that didn’t pan out so well for me. I think it’s important to lessen up on the strength training, but to still include them (especially for the abs and arms, which will strengthen your running anyways!)

Ali January 6, 2012 at 8:40 am

I have been Crossfitting for over a year now and honestly, It is super hard to do both. I had to pull back on Crossfit when training for my marathon this fall. I went twice a week instead of 3-5 and had to be strategic about when I went so that it wasn’t too close to my scheduled long run. You will find a good balance.

I miss both, a lot now that I have a broken foot (and sprained ankle :( )

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers January 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

Wow – you win the prettiest snack award. So healthy looking!

Allison January 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

I’ve been thinig out hummus and using it as a salad dressing lately- fabulous! Your salad looks tasty! I love hard boiled eggs on salads but I usually only enjoy them when we go out to eat since I never remember to boil the eggs at home and by the time I’m making something I’m too hungry to wait [impatient, yup] :P

Cait's Plate January 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

It’s funny because every time I’ve looked into CrossFit the thing that has really deterred me was feeling like it wouldn’t leave a lot of time/energy for me to run.

I’ll be interested to see how it pans out for you – it may just determine whether or not I ultimately give CrossFit a try! :)

Lauren January 6, 2012 at 9:57 am

I haven’t read through all the other comments, but I wanted to contribute mine to this discussion. My theory is that if you love CrossFit – and possibly even prefer it to running – then it should be your primary fitness focus. I’ve learned that forcing yourself to run, even if you have a race coming up, is a bad idea. It creates negative emotion around the sport, which can be demoralizing and very counterproductive to your all-around training. If you really want to run and feel the urge to continue with your training, go for it. But if the idea of running isn’t very appealing to you right now and is causing unneeded stress, I’d relegate it to second place right now. It’s never going to ‘leave’ you for good!

Lauren January 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

@Lauren: I also wanted to add that while running is amazing and empowering, it’s not the be-all, end-all in terms of fitness. I’ve personally found that a combination of yoga, Pilates, and weight training works much better for me than running and weight training do, and make me a lot happier. (I was an avid runner for years). It’s all about finding your balance. I’d never encourage someone to give up or skimp on running, especially if that person loves it. But I think we in the healthy-living world sometimes put running on a pedestal, and not always for the right reasons.

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple January 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Well, it looks like everybody beat me to the punch, but YES! You can totally do it. This summer/fall I did CrossFit 5 days a week with a long run on weekends and ran my first half marathon in October. I’m planning to do it again this year, but probably throw another run in mid-week. It’s totally do-able! Glad people recommended CrossFit Endurance – that’s an amazing resource.

Kristina January 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

While I don’t do crossfit and can’t speak to that, I can speak to running a half-marathon while putting in relatively low mileage. I have knee issues, so logging in high-mileage weeks does NOT work for me at all. However, I just ran a half-marathon at a decent clip (1:50) and did not follow a traditional training plan. Some weeks I ran twice, and while I ran a 12.5 mile trail race 6 weeks before the half, I didn’t do major mileage in the weeks leading up to the half.

KerriAnn January 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

So glad every says what I am hoping! im in the same boat, just started crossfit and have the RnR DC Half in March. Hopefully this all helps!

Paul Zelizer January 7, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Great advice thus far. Would also suggest checking out Crossfit Endurance: http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Jenn June 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Just saw this post. I started doing crossfit about two months before training for my second half marathon. I ran two to three times a week (usually two short, 1 long) and did crossfit about 4x week. I never ran more than 17 miles total in a week and was able to cut 25 minutes off my previous half marathon time. You’ve probably already run your half, but for me, crossfit worked wonders for my training!

Malia @ Life, Love and Fitness August 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hi Tina! I know you’ve probably already run your half, but I thought I’d offer a little testimony. I was never a runner, but my sister could run miles around my 1 mile time and competed all her life. I used to get yelled at in gym class in middle school AND high school for not running faster… I’d purposely ditch mile day in gym class :) A few years ago I ran my first competitive 5K in Lake Tahoe and couldnt even run the whole thing. In fact I’d never been able to run over 2 miles without stopping to walk. In July of this year I had my first crossfit class became totally addicted! When I started incorporated running, I started to see awesome results. I now do crossfit 3 days a week and run 3 days a week. I know its a long way off but I’m training for the Disneyland Half Marathon next year, so I’m gradually increasing my distances in training. Because of crossfit I can go 4 miles without stopping. Its given me so much endurance! If you’re not already doing so, I would drop your crossfit days from 6 to 3 and run on your off days :) You gotta have that rest time too!

Hols October 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

Two days ago I completed a 1/2 marathon. For the last four months I have been crossfitting 3 days a week and running 2 days a week. Typically one run is easy 4-5 miles and the second run is a long run, 10+ miles or track work (7 miles). Saturday I completed the race in 1:47:35, 4 minutes faster than the same race one year ago. In the beginning of crossfit training, I found my body was always sore and never felt like I had the energy to get quality runs in. After a month or two I felt like I could get the track work or long runs in. I cut my mileage down by about half compared to how I used to train for races since I was crossfitting 3 days a week.

Lionel October 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

Eat more Carbs!

Nancy K February 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi! I’ve been cross fitting for about 8 months now. I run about 20-25 miles per week. I do Crossfit 3-5 times per week. At least 2-3 days of which I run two miles to the gym and two miles home after the WOD. On my days off from Crossfit I run 6-10 miles. I absolutely feel that my endurance has improved.
    Good luck!

Charlene December 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

I am a new CrossFitter (loving it) and have signed up for my first half-marathon this coming summer. Just wanted to say thank you to all commenters – reading through this post has been extremely helpful! I CAN do both! (just gotta be smart about it, listen to my body)

Lindy Scott May 20, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I was a runner first, then started Crossfit 3 years ago. Now I am a Crossfit Coach. I did my first full marathon a year ago. I believe Crossfit was the key to helping me so that I was completely injury free, but there are some limitations when training for long endurance races and doing Crossfit, I believe. I continued to strength train, but backed off trying to hit PRs in max weight. I didn’t always have to do WODs rx , if the weight was heavy I backed off, but everything else was great. It improved my core and back muscles. It helped improve my posture. The short sprint increased my times in 5k,10k, and half marathon. I even finished marathon 30 minutes faster than I planned for. Crossfit and Running can go together just be smart and don’t let ego get in the way. Keep your eye on the big picture which is the half marathon that you are training for. You can hit PRs after the race.