• Mohegan Sun WineFest ’12

January 29, 2012

Wow! What an event! I’ve attended all sorts of wine tastings over the years, but nothing like Mohegan’s Sun WineFest!

Featuring beer, wine, specialty spirits and delectable dishes this weekend extravaganza has something for everyone. Wine and beer enthusiasts can select from over 1,000 brands or enjoy tastings of specialty sponsor spirits. Foodies can sample signature dishes from the region’s most highly rated restaurants. The Main Culinary Stage is the backdrop for two days of celebrity chef demonstrations, including Food Network stars Bobby Flay, Iron Chef Marc Forgione, Donatella Arpaia and Robert Irvine, along with fun-filled contests – Mohegan Sun WineFest Grape Stomp presented by Ciroc Ultra Premium Vodka and Oyster Open presented by Bud Light Lime. Throughout the weekend there is an impressive lineup of wine and beer experts hosting seminars intimate private-dining restaurant settings throughout Mohegan Sun.

The Grand Tasting was held at Mohegan’s Convention Center, so we didn’t need to travel far.

We walked right into the event, grabbed a wine glass, and we were off!

The Grand Tasting was really crowded (shoulder to shoulder crowds in certain places), but we never waited more than a minute or two for a sample. There were THAT many wine exhibitors!

The afternoon started off innocently enough.

Lots of tastes and sips.

There were so many amazing wines to try, I knew I needed to pace myself if I wanted to survive the afternoon. My game plan: only drink the wines that I really enjoyed. If I didn’t like a wine after taking a couple of sips, I poured it out and went to find another one to try. This strategy is also known as “alcohol abuse” ended up working really well because I tried a ton of new wines, but I didn’t up totally hammered. I also drank a ridiculous amount of water throughout the afternoon, which helped too.

I discovered a bunch of new favorites (Valley of the Moon, Rombauer, and White Wedding from Sip & Give) and rediscovered some old favorites (Chateau Ste Michelle, La Crema, and Entwine), and I made sure to snap pictures of the bottles for future reference. The Chateau Ste Michelle Sauvignon Blanc is a MUST BUY ASAP for me. I loved it!

IMG_0006 (600x800)IMG_0023 (600x800)
    IMG_0014 (600x800)IMG_0009 (600x800)

As the afternoon progressed, wine tasting got more and more fun!

After a few hours of tasting wine, it was time to try some beer! (Yep, this Winefest had plenty of beer too!)

IMG_0867

Touchdown! Hooray for beer!

Clearly, some of us were super psyched about the beer part of the Grand Tasting. Beer me!

Beer highlights for me:

Blue Point Brewing Company. I love their Toasted Lager and Winter Ale.

Harpoon Brewery. Their Vermont Spruce Tip Ale (100 Barrel Series) was so delicious. FYI: One of the Harpoon reps told me that Catamount Maple Wheat is back in March! YESSSS!

Lagunitas Brewing Company. Duh. Best brewery ever. This brewery only makes good beer.

Hey, Theodora, nice Lagunitas Maximus.

IMG_0870

The folks at the beer tasting were a lot of fun (I think everyone was feeling pretty good at this point in the afternoon), so we chatted with a bunch of random people.

Let’s just say, some were more fun than others! Haha!

Once the Grand Tasting ended, we did some drunk shopping (I bought $23 mascara from Sephora. WHY?!?) and then headed back to our hotel room for an epic game of “Never Have I Ever” and some more cocktails.

2012-01-29_2031

We had a dinner reservation for 10:00 PM at Bar Americain, but we were so famished, we ended up ordering a pizza to the room. (Quick tip: If you plan to dine at Mohegan after the WineFest, be sure to make a reservation well ahead of time. I called the week of the event and had trouble finding a table for four.)

I only ate a couple of snacks during the afternoon, so I housed four pieces of pizza and then passed out hard. Theodora and Anne rallied and hit the casino again, but Ashley and I called it a night. Sadly, I can’t party like I used to. #iamold

Many thanks to Mohegan for inviting us to Sun Winefest and comping our tickets and hotel stay. And, of course, a HUGE thanks to Anne, Ashley, and Theodora for a fabulous girls’ weekend! I already miss you guys!

Brittany January 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

The Winefest looks like so much fun. I’m glad you 4 ladies had a great time!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

oh man, what a FUN time!!! i’m glad you gals were able to have such a great time together. good drinks, good food, and good friends = perfect weekend!

Hilary January 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Looks like some crazy times had by all…haha!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 29, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Looks like such a great time! And I totally agree Lagunitas is the best brewery ever. I love their IPA and A Lil’ Sumpin’ Sumpin’, definitely two of my favorite beers!

Megan January 29, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Love your shirt! Where’d you get it from?

Tina January 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Marshalls!

chelsea January 30, 2012 at 8:18 am

@Tina: of course!! haha i just posted asking where it was from and said please dont say marshalls! There is no hope of me getting it now…u can never find the same thing at marshalls twice! darn!

Amy January 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’m from Blue Point! The brewery is really small but does great tours and you get to sample some very yummy beer. Definitely something to check out if you’re ever on Long Island.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wow, sounds like a fun weekend! I bet that pizza tasted gooooood after an afternoon of drinking :)

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

That looks awesome! Wow, I feel like that would be incredibly hard to pace yourself since it would be hard to keep track of how much you were actually consuming. It looks like you girls did a great job though, you were all still standing at the end!! :-)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 29, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Sounds like an awesome party! Have a nice week. :)

Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 29, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Looked like such a fun time!!

Lisa January 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Chateau Ste Michelle is one of my favorites. But I’m biased, I used to live near the winery. :)

Cheryl at eatplayluvblog January 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm

This looks delish AND fun! I am craving pizza even more now.

Erica January 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Never Have I Ever never gets old. A great game for any age!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio January 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Too fun!! I’m having a girls weekend in a few months and this got me really excited! I’m so glad y’all had fun!

Nicole @ Giraffelegs January 29, 2012 at 11:51 pm

That pizza look redonkulous.

Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 29, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Oooh I love Chateau St. Michelle’s cabernet. Yummy. That looks like an amazingly fun boozefest. I mean, refined social hour…. hah.

Khushboo January 30, 2012 at 12:38 am

I felt old this weekend- I was yawning by 2 am while my friends were revved up to continue raging!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 30, 2012 at 1:03 am

What a great time! Fun, friends, wine, the weekend. PERFECT!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 30, 2012 at 5:58 am

I love the progression of pictures. Sober, buzzed, feeling good, hammered! Ha! Looks like it was fun.

karlee @ olivewineandfood January 30, 2012 at 7:47 am

haha oh no, it is so dangerous going into sephora after a few drinks.

Alaina January 30, 2012 at 7:49 am

Oh man, that event looks like so much fun! I would probably be more all about the beer too. It tends to get me drunk a little bit slower than wine does. :-P

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

Haha that looks like such a fun time! And that’s so funny that you went drunk shopping! Thank goodness you stopped after the mascara – it could have been a lot worse. ;)

KerriAnn (livebreathrun) January 30, 2012 at 8:13 am

sounds like a good time! have you tried the newport wine festival? I went over last year and it was an amazing time as well, so is anything in newport but still.

chelsea January 30, 2012 at 8:17 am

Tina, I really like your top!! Its so cute!! Where did you get it? (Please don’t say marshalls/tj maxx…then i’ll never find it :( ) Anyways, I really like it!! Looks like a great time you had this weekend!!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 30, 2012 at 8:21 am

Looks like such a fun weekend! :)

Mandi @ Fitness. Food. Life. January 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

Looks like you had a fantastic time! This really makes me want to try to hit up the wine tasting that happens locally…

Anne P. January 30, 2012 at 8:24 am

Amazing weekend and I love all our ridiculous photos. Miss you girls already! xo

Nancy January 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

Hey Tina! I was also a lucky one that got to enjoy Winefest. It was a fanstastic time, by the way, we didn’t make our 9:00 p.m. reservation to Ballo, Early pizza and water for us also! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

Looks like a blast! Glad you all had fun :)

Amy @Macncheesenpeas January 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

Looks like you had so much fun!! I always wanted to go to a wine tasting, it looks like a good way to find new brands you like.

Katy @ HaveYouHurd January 30, 2012 at 10:23 am

Ha – I love how they poses and faces get “sexier” as the day goes on (and the drinks go down)! Hilarious! Looks like you had a blast. And don’t worry, you’re not the only one who can’t party like she used to. My girlfriends and I went out this weekend and were perfectly content with devouring some Taco Bell and being in bed by 11:30pm. WINNERS!

Jolynn January 30, 2012 at 10:53 am

There’s a winefest in WI that I’ve been wanting to go to and after seeing these pics I will definitely make it there this fall! haha!! Looks like a blast!

Cait's Plate January 30, 2012 at 10:55 am

I love your shirt! And haha – this post reminds me of photos from college…the slow progression of silliness creeping into photos ending in a huge pizza.

Kate January 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Next time you are out in Seattle you should get your family (or me) to take you the Chateau Ste Michelle Winery for a free tour and tasting. If you like the Sav blanc you will love the Horse Heaven Hills variety – specifically from the Horse Heaven Hills region of central WA.

Tina January 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

@Kate: Thanks for the rec! I’ll be out there again in June and October! :)

Derek January 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Tina,

Thanks for your mention of White Wedding…glad you liked the wine! Sip&Give is also a really important part of Bravium winery and I appreciate you helping spread the word about this charitable campaign. Let me know if I can ever assist with content and the next time you’re in SF you should visit the winery for a White Wedding tank tasting.

Derek Rohlffs
    Proprietor & Winemaker
    Bravium

Laura @ Unchartered 20s January 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

OMG this looks SO. FUN!! I know your tix were comped, and maybe im having an extra blonde day, but do you know how much tix are for this? I checked the website and couldnt find any pricing info, and i really wanna check this out next year!!

Lexi January 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This looks like so much fun :)

Caitlin January 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I KNEW you’d love the beer room! When I was up there I thought of you immediately :-D and I actually do see a wine you tried that I recognize now that I think about it, the Rombauer! I’d heard great things leading up to it and the man at that table was so nice, I gave him my card and he started saying he was gonna do my workouts, haha!

LOL at the $23 Sephora purchase. Since I was driving home I was in a state that enabled me to cruise right past Sephora without going in, thank goodness.

The last pic of you with the goofy eyes and also the pizza pic are both SO funny. I love how silly you are – glad you enjoyed!!!