• The Holiday Season is LITERALLY the Best Time of Year

December 21, 2011

Good morning! Only four days until Christmas!?! GAH! I still need to finish my holiday shopping. Anyone else?

IMG_0067-2 (587x800)

Workout

Last night’s CrossFit workout was the hardest one so far. I say that a lot, don’t I?

This WOD was especially challenging cardiovascular-wise. We did four rounds of “Drumsticks” for time, which meant we did 7 Thrusters (<— killer!) followed by a 400m run as fast as we could. We had done 5 sets of Hang Power Cleans, so I was already a little tired from those, so holy crap, it was a hard WOD.

IMG_0044-2 (800x600)

Strength:

Hang Power Clean

3-3-3-3-3

WOD: “Drumsticks”

4 rounds for time of:

7 Barbell Thrusters (95#, 65#)

400 meter run

Level 2: (75, 45)

Level 1: (45, 35)

I felt kind of wussy last night because everyone else was using more weight than me on the Hang Power Cleans and Thrusters, but I reminded myself that I’m just starting out and right now getting the proper form down for these lifts is most important.

IMG_0043-2 (800x600)

The great thing about CrossFit is that you’re not really competition against other people. Ok, obviously, in a way you are since it’s tough not to compare yourself to others while they’re working out right next to you, but so much of CrossFit is about making yourself a better athlete.

Our coaches are all about us recording our individual stats (in a journal, online, etc.), so we keep them in mind during our workouts and constantly try to improve upon them. I really like this type of motivation and accountability since it pushes me to get stronger and faster each and every class.

Dinner

Pasta was on the agenda for dinner last night, but I wasn’t in the mood for it after CrossFit. Instead, I made a huge-ass salad, which involved chopping up Murphy’s favorite vegetable.

IMG_0045-2 (800x600)

Bunny ears from Dad! LOL!

IMG_0046-2 (800x600)

Murphy didn’t appreciate them like Mal and I did!

In the mix: mixed greens, carrots, grape tomatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, crumbled feta, roasted, pumpkin seeds, roasted chickpeas, and balsamic vinegar.

IMG_0053-2 (800x600)

I also enjoyed a celebratory glass of Oregon Pinot Gris (my favorite!) with dinner. Mal surprised me with a bottle when he came home from school yesterday. He’s so nice.

IMG_0057-2 (800x600)

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was barley mixed with banana slices, cinnamon, chia seeds, and peanut butter. It was a nice change from my usual oatmeal.

I cooked 1/3 cup of barley last night and then let it soak in 1/2 cup of almond milk overnight. In the morning, I sliced up a banana, added it to the barley, and nuked the whole thing in the microwave for 2 minutes. The end result was warm, mushy, and delicious.

IMG_0062-2 (800x600)

Banana-barley deliciousness + iced coffee with soy milk.

IMG_0061-2 (800x600)

I ate my breakfast with a large pug on my lap.

IMG_0066-2 (800x600)

Feel Great Weight

I’m spending a lot of time traveling this holiday season. My husband and I flew across the country to visit family last week, and we’re making the trip again for Christmas—which means I’m pretty familiar with the meal choices at the airport. Airports don’t have the best reputation for healthy food options, but it’s not impossible to find something healthy if you know what to look for. Here are my top picks for airport food: How to Eat Healthy at the Airport.

Home for the Holidays Virtual 10K

In the spirit of the holidays, a few bloggers are putting on a Virtual 10K (Home for the Holidays Virtual 10K) this weekend. You can read all about it here and register to participate. It’s mainly just a fun way to get in a run with your (virtual) friends even though you’re not together. I just signed up!

There are LITERALLY no good shows on TV right now, so Mal and I have been Netflix-ing episodes of Parks and Rec, which is LITERALLY the most hysterical show ever. Season 3 is amazing! I don’t know how it’s taken us so long to watch it.

What TV shows took you awhile to discover, but are now some of your favorites?

Heather December 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

Breaking Bad! Just started watching it and I love it. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

Parks and Rec is funny, and I love Aziz Ansari, but for some reason I don’t watch it regularly. I already have so many shows on my DVR list I’m afraid to commit to another.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner December 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love Parks and Rec! It’s so funny! I was slow to find How I Met Your Mother somehow. It’s my favorite show now! My brother kept telling me that I needed to watch it, and when I was visiting him over the summer we watched it every night and I was like, holy crap where have I been?? Now seasons 1-6 are on Netflix, so my husband and I watch an episode or two every night :).

Amy Ramos December 21, 2011 at 11:39 am

This is LITERALLY the best post ever.
    I love Parks & Rec. Did you see the “treat yourself” episode?!?
    LOVE IT!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

It took me a long time to discover Modern Family and The Office, but now I’m a total addict!

Laura December 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh my gosh, crossfit killed me yesterday too! 10 Rounds of 3 handstand push ups, 6 deadlifts, 12 pull ups, and 24 double unders. It took me 40 minutes to finish! And I was late to work, but since my boss is a crossfitter at a different gym he just thought it was funny when I came shuffling into work.

I love the afterparty :)

Jillian December 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Totally and completely Modern Family. What a riot!!!

Janet December 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter…hmmm…all my favs are not comedies! But wait, I <3 30 Rock, too :-)

Tina, saw this post today which featured a pug … thought you might enjoy it, too: http://www.nstperfume.com/2011/12/21/erik-kormann-eau-de-frohliche-fragrance-review/

kimberly December 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Tina,

Crossfit looks great.

Are you dieting by the way? I noticed you have had a salad for literally every dinner the past few weeks…
    if so, good luck!

Tina December 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

No, just trying to eat better and salads are a great way to consume a lot of nutrients at once!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I still need to look into crossfit in Chicago. It looks scary but awesome all at the same time!

Allison December 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Lovin’ all the drama of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills- some of the stuff they do/ say is absolutely redic :P And more recently, my Dear and I stared watching Storage Wars… Some of the things they find [aka things that people keep for years and years packed away] are so bizarre!

P.S. Beautiful flower arrangement!

Amber K December 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Modern Family is about the only one I watch still that I didn’t get into until recently. With the huge influx of new shows this Fall season I started out watching a bunch of great ones from the very beginning. Once Upon a Time is my fave!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine December 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I love how you call breakfast “mushy deliciousness.” The mushier, the better in my opinion when it comes to hot cereal!

Jill December 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’ve been enjoying watching Bones. I never could get into it before but I finally begin enjoying it. It’s not only a mystery which I love but it’s also a funny storyline about the characters on the show. The only thing is that it can get gross sometimes with the decaying bodies. Yuck!

Bree ltc December 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Immediately upon reading your title I was like, “Holy Crap I think she’s referencing P&R. Love it!”

Another from our boy Chris Traeger that made us crack up: “Jogging’s AMAZING!”

Tina December 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I just watched that episode last night! :)

Liz M December 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Dexter! It’s a creepy show. Also a great way to keep my mind off snacking. I can’t eat and watch it at the same time.

Tina December 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Haha!

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) December 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I have only just started my Christmas shopping. I’ve been loving watching the dvds of the Sopranos. I was never into the show when it first came on; now I LOVE IT.

Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers December 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

When I’m flying, I always have things like beef jerky, sun-dried tomatoes, protein bars, or even a popped bag of light popcorn if I can fit it in (gives me something to do on the flight)!

I’m finished with the holiday shopping, but am late in doing my workout because I spent all morning wrapping!

My fave TV show that took me awhile to discover: The Office, actually–I thought it was weird the first few times I flipped past it!!

Alaina December 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I love, love, LOVE The Big Bang Theory. It took me years to discover it and now I can’t get enough. :-)

I just signed up for the virtual 10k too! I have a planned 7 miler, so it’ll be extra motivation!

Jacki Noel December 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I agree there is nothing on TV! Mike and I lucked out and stumbled on 2 pretty good movies on Netflix over the weekend. “The Game” with Michael Douglas was very intense, followed by the cute comedy “Morning Glory”. Much of the time we find duds that we continue to watch thinking that sooner or later we will “get it”. Nice change to find something worth watching!

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today December 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Am I just making this up or didn’t you mention once you used to date the actor who plays Jean Ralphio’s character on “Parks ‘n Rec?” It’s a fantastic show that doesn’t get enough credit, in my opinion.

Last year, I started watching “Friday Night Lights’ on Netflix (I was one of the people who’d never watched it when it was actually airing on NBC.. forcing it to be prematurely canceled), and it seriously became my favorite TV show of all time. It’s so, so good the entire way through. I really miss it now that it’s over!

Tina December 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yep, we dated in college for awhile! And I agree that show doesn’t get enough credit!

Tiffany December 22, 2011 at 8:31 am

@Tina: You dated the actor who places Jean-Ralphio?! OMG, I love that guy. :)
    And thank you for the airport food recommendations… I get so overwhelmed in airports (like when we recently traveled to England and LITERALLY spent hours in several different airports) that I tend to not eat much at all, and then have low blood sugar issues… Same thing on airplanes. :(

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I didn’t watch Bones when it first aired, but then my sister introduced me to it and got me hooked!

Jen @ Such a Funny Fat December 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm

It took me awhile to like House and now I kind of wish I hadn’t. I do enjoy the stupidity of Alaska State Troopers (the stupidity of the criminals of course) and I think parts of Burn Notice are particularly funny.

lauren December 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I didn’t like Modern Family at first, but now I’m pretty hooked. I also like Whitney and Up All Night, but I think I’m in the minority. They make me laugh though, so that’s what counts!

Hilary December 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love “alternative grains” for breakfast. Honestly, I’m not that into sitcoms/comedies, most of what I watch is food tv, talk shows, news and reality.

Parita December 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Modern Family, Lost, and Entourage are the three shows that took me a while to start watching, but once I did, I was hooked!

Also, I was curious to know what your thoughts are on the Paleo Diet. I know a few people who started Crossfit and subsequently went on that diet.

Tina December 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’m not a diet person, so I don’t plan to jump on the Paleo diet bandwagon. I love oatmeal, cheese, and beer too much!

Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops December 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Lost! We didn’t start watching until the series ended, but we flew through the DVDs!

Hillary December 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

The Wire and Mad Men. I don’t know how I went so long without watching both of them! Now they’re probably my two favorite shows ever.

Teri December 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Criminal Minds!!! My hubby and I are addicted!

RunEatRepeat December 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I literally don’t get the joke?

Tina December 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm

You need to watch Parks and Rec! :)

kalee December 22, 2011 at 12:38 am

I love Dexter! We found it when Season 3 was out, and the first 2 seasons were on Netflix. We ended up buying the 4th season off of iTunes to get our fix since Netflix didn’t have it at the time. Big Bang Theory was another little hidden treasure! :)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) December 22, 2011 at 6:00 am

I agree – October through December is my all time favorite time of year!

One show that I am obsessed with (but only started watching since last 3 seasons) is Desperate Housewives. Totally my guilty pleasure. I’m so sad this season is the last! :(

Tiffany December 22, 2011 at 8:43 am

We love Parks & Rec. in this house. We’re also about to dive into Boardwalk Empire! And I’m big into any PBS British mystery shows, but I tend to discover those as soon as they air. ;)
    Tina, do you find it difficult to maintain your feel great weight in the midst of the holidays and with all of the traveling you have been doing lately?
    I also often find that I get so anxious (or just excited!) while traveling (when I’m gone for a relatively long period of time) that I lose weight, which is not my current goal. I think it’s hard to find a balance with eating/exercise when out of one’s normal routine, but you seem to have mastered it! :)

Chels R. December 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I really need to try Crossfit one day! A lot of my running buds do it…I take a class at my gym called Nike Training Club and it’s my own little version of Crossfit.

That salad looks yummy! I enjoy pairing my salads with a glass of vino as well.

Tiffany December 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

@Chels R.: Hear, hear–I think I’m incapable of eating a dinner salad sans vino. ;)