• A Virtual PR

December 23, 2011

Success!! I completed the Home for the Holidays Virtual 10K and I set a new PR while doing it! I ran on a treadmill, but my time was still faster than my previous 10K, so that counts, right?

As part of the Virtual 10K, prizes will be awarded for the most spirited holiday outfit, so I dressed as a Christmas ninja.

Obviously, I need to invest in some holiday race gear.

Running on a treadmill for 6.2 miles can be pretty borining, so I used the following treadmill workout to guide my run:

2011-12-23_1518

It was a lot of fun and really challenging. After a five minute warm-up, I picked up the pace and continued to increase it with faster and faster intervals. At the 50-minute mark, I sprinted to the 10K finish. I pictured myself running a real road race, so I pushed myself really hard until I reached 6.2 miles. Woohoo, 10K PR!

Lunch

After my victorious 10K, I headed home, showered up, and threw together lunch from a bunch on leftovers in the refrigerator. In the mix: spaghetti squash, sautéed mushrooms, roasted chickpeas, and Romano cheese sprinkled on top.

After lunch, I satisfied my sweet tooth with a handful of white chocolate chips.

IMG_0011 (800x600)IMG_0008 (800x600)

Snack

Somehow, I got coaxed into going to CrossFit tonight (I blame Mal), so I just made a Tropical Smoothie to hold me over until dinner and give me some energy for today’s WOD.

Topical Smoothie

• 1 cup frozen mango chunks
    • 1 cup almond milk
    • 1/2 cup coconut water
    • 1/4 tsp coconut extract
    • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal

If you like coconut, you will love this smoothie. Coconut + mango = tropical deliciousness.

Happy Friday, guys!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Woah! Congrats on the 10K. Yummy smoothie recipe :)

Sarah December 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m going to do the virtual 10k too! Love the treadmill workout I might have to use that for one of my runs this winter. The smoothie looks delicious. I would probably crave something like this during the summer months.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I made a smoothie just like this last week. It was the perfect combo to protest against the cold weather. Although, it’s 53 out right now. Not sure what happened to winter!
    Congrats on the 10K PR! I’m counting a 5K PR from a training run that was 4 seconds faster than my real race 5K time so I say it counts ;)

Heidi December 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I did the virtual 10K as well, unfortunately it was not my PR! I finished at 55:28, but I blame it on the snow stabbing my eyes:P Good job for reaching your PR!

Jenaé Frick (@YogaEatRun) December 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Amazing! Well done! You look fantastic!

Jes Suazo December 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Congrats on the PR! Treadmill PR’s definitely count.

I think I’m going to use this workout! I’m always looking for something to keep me busy on the treadmill. Intervals work well. I’m not so sure I can run for an hour on a treadmill though. Generally I make it 30 minutes & pat myself on the back for staying on. ;)

Anna December 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm

woop woop! way to go on the 10K PR! I am doing mine Christmas day as a present to myself. I am not sure if I will PR but maybe I should think positively and go for one!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Nice job! I just found out about this awesome virtual 10K — I hope they let me still sign up!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

oh gosh, that smoothie sounds delicious! and congrats on your “virtual” PR! haha

Johanna B December 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Congrats on your PR – always a proud moment. I’ve thought of doing a virtual 10K because there are none that I have found in my city. The closest is about two hours away and I don’t drive. Thanks for the inspiration.

Whitney December 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Two hard workouts in one day?! Girl you’re crazy! But motivated me to move my butt before the buffet’s commence tomorrow :D

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Cheers to your PR!
    And that mango smoothie looks and sounds fab!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I definitely think it counts!! HAve fun at crossfit:D

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio December 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Looking buff! Good buff that is. Have fun at Crossfit

Khushboo December 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Running is running- of course this counts as PR. Way to go!

Olivia December 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I love adding a little shredded unsweetened coconut to my mango-peach whey smoothies. I started doing this to use up some icky non dairy coconut milk – turns out it’s just not for me, or anyone in my house – and adding it makes a nice treat! Plus, healthy fat!

[New Balance] Nicole December 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I usually have some sort of “chips” everyday. :) My favorite are butterscotch and dark chocolate!

Tiffany December 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Congrats on getting the 10K done!! Woohoo! You look awesome in your pic!
    I’m doing it tomorrow. I had wanted to do it today, but family obs and work took precedence, so I had to split up my run, and did just over 4 miles. I haven’t run 6.2 miles in ages (I tend to cap myself at 5, due to knee probs), so here’s hoping I make it. ;)
    I personally love PB chips, but choc. are also scrumptious.
    BTW, Do you have any suggestions for a PB smoothie, @Tina?

Tina December 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Yep! Here’s a recipe for a PB & Banana Smoothie: http://carrotsncake.com/2011/03/the-importance-of-a-good-chair.html

Tiffany December 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm

@Tina: Thanks!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Oh that is a fun idea to do the virtual 10k! Have fun at CF–go enjoy getting buff (er). heh.

Happy Holidays!!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves December 23, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I think Mal has CrossFit fever! I love it! Congrats on your PR…I’m tackling the virtual 10k in the morning and trying to decide between a bleacher workout or CrossFit this evening.

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine December 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Way to go! A 10k and CF. I need to get my butt out the door and go workout!

Jules December 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I’ve been loving and using your treadmill workout, and modifying them to fit my current level of fitness. (I usually run comfortably at 5.5-6.5, and can sprint at 6.5-7.7. I like to run for 20-40 minutes.) But I have a question: how do you create the workouts? Any tips for making my own treadmill workouts?

Tina December 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I just make them up as I go along, but I generally start with a 5-10 minute warm-up and then add in intervals that get progressively faster.

katie @ KatieDid December 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm

oh man what a day of workouts, good for you!!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) December 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Way to go on the PR!!! Enjoy your second workout. :)

Lisa December 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

You look so skinny!!! No holiday weight gain for you!! :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I love white chocolate chips! I can eat them by the handful!

elle @ nutritionella December 24, 2011 at 4:04 am

Those chocolate chips look better than ever to me. I’m in Spain for the holidays and there’s not a chocolate chip to be had in this country! :( A few of those are a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Cheryl Mosley December 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

Just moved up North and now need to start running on the treadmill. I fear boredom, so I appreciate that running plan. Thanks and Congrats!

Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Congrats on the virtual PR! A PR is a PR regardless of where you do it :)

Jeff December 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Congrats!! – I participated in this virtual run too and also had a treadmill PR! Happy Holidays!!

VeggieGirl December 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Congrats and Happy Holidays!!!

Yolie @ Practising Wellness December 25, 2011 at 3:20 am

Nice work on the 10K pr, that’s amazing! :-D Talk about ringing in the season with positivity – congrats! <3 xyx

Katy @ HaveYouHurd December 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Girlfriend I gotta say you are KILLING it with these workouts! You should be oober proud of yourself! Between crossfit + treadmill workouts you are just Ms. Fitness! What an inspiration!