• Does the Holiday Season Start Too Soon?

November 13, 2011

This morning, I hosted a lovely brunch at my house for my mom and sister. As always, it was so nice to see them!

Back in June, the three of seriously struggled to find a time to get together. Our schedules just never matched up, so it took us weeks to coordinate. Once we finally found a time to hang out, we decided to make it a priority to get together at least once a month. Since then, we’ve stuck to our goal!

On the menu for brunch: French toast with warm maple syrup and berries, hickory-smoked bacon, and coffee.

Mmm! The French toast was, of course, my favorite part of brunch.

To make the berry syrup, I just heated maple syrup and frozen berries in a pot on the stove. Super easy, but so delicious.

My dog has terrible table manners. He won’t jump up and try to get your food, but he’ll sit and wait for the tiniest morsel to hit the floor.

After brunch, the three of us went to the Derby Street Shoppes to do a little shopping.

Holy Christmas!

It’s only November 13th, but it looked like the holiday season was already in full swing. I can’t believe some stores were selling Christmas decorations in mid-October!

Now don’t get me wrong, I love the holiday season, but I don’t like how it starts earlier and earlier every year. Stretching it out almost makes it seem less special (and more commercial) to me. Mal and I actually have some rules to make sure that Christmas is only celebrated at the appropriate time.

I’m not going to lie, at first, the holiday cheer in the stores sort of annoyed me. (I mean, poor Thanksgiving! It’s one of the best holidays, but it’s never celebrated like the other ones.) But, the more I wandered around, checking out the sights and sounds of the holiday season, the more I started to embrace it.

Smelling the scents of the season really did it for me. It’s tough to be annoyed with the holidays when you’re sniffing a candle that smells like Holiday Garland, Christmas Cookies, and Warm Woolen Mittens!

I actually loved the Christmas Cookie candle so much, I bought one. I guess it doesn’t hurt to celebrate the holiday season a little early, right?

I already broke the eggnog rule, BUT there will not be holiday music until after Thanksgiving and not a single decoration will be hung until December 1! Bah! Humbug!

What do you think about the holiday season? Does it start too soon? Or can it not come soon enough?

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles November 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I’ve definitely already put up some Christmas lights, and as for Christmas music…it was back on my ipod at least a week ago! I think the holidays are so amazing I want to spend as much time enjoying them as possible!

Nicole @The Pug Diaries November 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I did the same thing today! I went to Michael’s to buy some canvas and Christmas decorations were everywhere. I sniffed practically every candle scent and had to buy some! I also wanted to drive home and pull out my fake tree immediately. But I had to tell myself to slow down.

Evan @ Heavy Evan November 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Yes! It comes way too soon! My parents taught us that the Christmas season starts when Santa comes at the end of the Thanksgiving parade. I agree that it does feel more commercial when they start it too soon. I thought about dressing up as a pilgrim and knocking over trees at Walmart, but hated to take it that far.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Yes, it starts too soon. But those magnificent Yankee candles are an exception. :) I have a giant pumpkin vanilla one right now that I am LOVING!!!! :)
    PS_ I really think my hairless cat and Murphy would be great friends.he he!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I love the holidays, so I guess after mid November I am good with any of it!! YAHH for the wonderful time of the year :)

Heather November 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Maybe a little early, I generally start celebrating right after Thanksgiving, that’s my timeframe!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I definitely think it starts too soon! I refuse to give in to decorations or shopping before Thanksgiving. I make exceptions for Starbucks flavored drinks though ;)

Sarah @ Sarah vs Cake November 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I completeley agree! I still can’t believe starbucks already had their christmas drinks out on Nov 1!
    I also make my family abide by some holiday rules: no christmas movies until after thanksgiving and no music until 2 weeks before christmas!

~Christy @ wonderofallthings November 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Way…too…soon! Starting December first is the way to go. That’s what advent calendars are for, isn’t it? ;)

Maureen November 13, 2011 at 11:23 pm

@~Christy @ wonderofallthings: My mom still buys me a chocolate advent calendar every year!

Maureen November 13, 2011 at 11:23 pm

It seems Christmas “stuff” starts earlier every year. Personally, I LOVE Christmas, but 2 weeks before Thanksgiving is too soon for my liking. I will probably take down all my Fall decorations the night of Thanksgiving and have all my Christmas stuff up by that Saturday! All while listening to Christmas music, of course!! :)

Khushboo November 14, 2011 at 12:27 am

It is kinda soon but I am sure I would have a hard time not getting into the holiday spirit if Christmas was widely celebrated here (Mumbai) and stores were already decorated!

Corrie Anne November 14, 2011 at 12:42 am

Oh. It’s so not too soon! I can’t help myself!!!! I love your rules though. And it makes sense in a way. But I like to stretch it out. And for egg nog? Oh boy.

Jennifer November 14, 2011 at 1:59 am

I live in Canada, so Rememberance Day is the last holiday before Christmas. We actually decorated the house today. :)

Girl on the Run November 14, 2011 at 5:06 am

It’s really too soon for me to start celebrating Christmas ;) But I must admit, the cookie candle sounds nice :)

meghan @ struggle muffins November 14, 2011 at 6:30 am

There’s something about holiday smells that’s so inviting and so necessary – I love the Yankee Candles that smell like baked goods! Especially Christmas Cookie and Pumpkin Pie mmmmm :)

Alyssa November 14, 2011 at 6:58 am

Waaaaaay too soon!
    (Although I also have the Christmas Cookie candle. How can you resist?)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 14, 2011 at 7:28 am

I always think christmas comes to early…but once it does…i love it :)

Jacki November 14, 2011 at 7:52 am

I work at a dairy bottling plant so I break the eggnog rule every year. It’s quality control right. The problem with having in the breakroom fridge is that it accounts for about half my holiday weight gain every year. I need to work on the self control! (Actually my favorite is the pumpkin spice milk…mmmmm)

Hope November 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

I definitely think the holidays come too early. Although I love the holiday season so I don’t really mind all that much! Christmas Cookie is my favorite scent at Yankee Candle! I have a huge jar and a little jar. I’m just a tad obsessed ;)

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie November 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m a huge Christmas lover and it’s really tempting for me not to fork out the tree right now. I’m probably one of those people most people hate, because I love to decorate and get in the holiday spirit early.

By the way, Christmas Cookie is my favorite Yankee Candle Christmas scent. It’s so fabulous! :-)

Alaina November 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Oh yeah, it is WAY too early for Christmas. Pretty soon they’ll have stuff going up on Columbus Day weekend. I always wait until after Thanksgiving. I agree that having it so early kind of takes away the excitement of the season.

Traci B November 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

I don’t like seeing Christmas stuff in October but in Nov. it doesn’t bother me. I LOVE Christmas. It’s always been a family tradition that the Christmas tree & decor go up the day after Thanksgiving.

Christina @ Everyday Decisions November 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

I too think that the holiday season comes earlier and earlier every year. I also share your sentiment about Thanksgiving seemingly being over looked.. poor turkey!

So far our tradition is to put up the tree and decorations after Thanksgiving. But I must confess that we’ ve already bought a few new ornaments for this year.

joan November 14, 2011 at 10:05 am
    Rita November 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’m with you. I have some rules as well in my house that are pretty similar to yours. Friday after Thanksgiving is when the Christmas decorations come out. No holiday music until then as well. The candle I use (I always have one lit) in the month of November (actually Oct-Nov) is a pumpkin pie/apple caramel kind. Dec 1st is when I make the switch to Christmas Cookie (also my favorite Christmas candle).

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite parts of the holidays.

Corrie @ Blurb Column November 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

They day after Thanksgiving is when it is okay in our house to start Christmas. The music, the lights, the decorations….LOVE. I like to celebrate one holiday at a time. I do not like listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. It takes away from the specialness!
    Btw-it’s awesome that you three are finding ways to stay connected and see each other. So important!

Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops November 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Such a good idea for the syrup! I usually just microwave frozen berries for 30 seconds or so so they get all juicy, but adding them to the syrup is something I’ll definitely try. Oh, and I LOVE Derby St shops – so many great stores in one place!!

Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group November 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I used to almost be a Scrooge about Christmas due to living with a roommate who listened to Christmas carols all year long. Now that I am away from her, I find myself getting excited for Christmas in November or even October. I do have rules though. My tree will go up the weekend after Thanksgiving to give that holiday a chance. I would wait until December, but then I don’t think I would take it down until March. :)

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel November 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I do think that the holiday season probably does start a bit too early…but it doesn’t bother me–I can’t help but love it! I’m a huge fan of Christmas so the second I hear a holiday tune or see a Christmas tree, I am one happy lady.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop November 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I really despise the music starting too soon. And the decorations in the store are a little much too. I mean, I love the holidays but like you said, it makes it a little less special!
    ~Ang

Julie (A Case of the Runs) November 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with the holiday stuff popping up already. In these down times, those who aren’t doing to well the rest of the year need something to be cheerful about.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) November 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

*too well

Laura @ Unchartered 20s November 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I love love love the Christmas season! But last year I distinctly remember feeling over it by the week BEFORE xmas! I really prefer it to be a December tradition and to hold off to make it more special!