• Run and Done

October 16, 2011

Wahoo! Twenty miles run and done! :mrgreen:

Theodora and I rocked our 20-mile long run this morning. Surprisingly, it wasn’t all that bad either. (Who says that about 20 miles?!? Crazy people. That’s who.)

Hey, nice shirt, Theodora.

I woke up bright and early to prepare for this morning’s run. I ate my usual breakfast (nut butter + banana on a whole wheat English muffin) along with a peach tea-flavored GU Brew, which looked a lot like an early morning cocktail, but I promise you, it wasn’t that fun.

IMG_0004 (600x800)IMG_0006 (800x600)

Once we were ready to go, Theodora and I grabbed a cab to Prospect Park in Brooklyn for the NYC Marathon Blue Line Run hosted by the New York Front Runners.

About 200 people came out for the run this morning!

The run was extremely well-organized. I’m still so impressed by the Front Runners. They provided multiple water stops, turn-by-turn maps, and plenty of super friendly volunteers along the 20-mile running route— all of which were completely sponsored by the Front Runners organization. They really put on a great run. THANK YOU, Front Runners!

IMG_0826 (800x598)_thumb[1]IMG_0831 (800x598)_thumb[2]

The run started about 6 miles into the New York City Marathon course in Brooklyn.

IMG_0828 (800x598)_thumb

We ran about seven miles through Brooklyn, and then crossed over the Pulaski Bridge into Queens.

IMG_0832 (800x598)_thumb

After about two and a half miles in Queens, we crossed the East River on the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan.

I had heard horror stories about the Queensboro Bridge, but it really didn’t seem so bad to me. Ok, it had a gradual, seemly never-ending incline, but the views were so breathtaking and beautiful, they took my mind off how difficult it was to run up. We were also six miles behind where we’d be on marathon day, so, hopefully, I’ll feel the same way about it in three weeks.

IMG_0834 (598x800)_thumb

Once we reached Manhattan, we headed down First Avenue, then crossed briefly into The Bronx via the Willis Avenue Bridge and then back into Manhattan via the Madison Avenue Bridge.

IMG_0837 (800x598)_thumb

Then, we ran through Harlem down Fifth Avenue and into Central Park where we finished just before Columbus Circle.

IMG_0840 (800x598)_thumb

Success! Theodora, Sue, and I finished 20 miles in 3 hours and 25 minutes, which was an average pace of 10:18. We stuck to a slower pace than usual since we didn’t want to unnecessarily push ourselves so close to the marathon, but we finished strong with negative splits on the last couple of miles.

photo_3 (598x800)_thumb[1]

After our run, Theodora and I grabbed some recovery supplies: bagel sandwiches, ice, and beer.

IMG_0841 (800x598)_thumb[1]

I had an egg and cheese sandwich on a toasted garlic bagel. It tasted amazing, and I inhaled it.

IMG_0844 (800x598)_thumb

I rehydrated with a coconut water and then dehydrated with a pumpkin beer.

IMG_0846 (598x800)_thumb[7]IMG_0013 (600x800)_thumb[7]

Once I had a beer in my hand, it was time for an ice bath.

IMG_0007 (800x600)_thumb[1]

Please note the back of my shirt. Clearly, I have no idea how to work a shower.

IMG_0010 (800x600)_thumb

Theodora’s turn! Brrr!

IMG_0012 (800x600)_thumb

Once we completed our post-run recovery routine, Theodora and I headed out for dinner and (more) beers at The Ginger Man.

We each started with a flight of beers.

IMG_0005 (800x600)_thumb[1]

IMG_0002 (800x600)_thumb[1]

We picked four seasonal drafts from the menu for our flights. I liked all of them, except for the Hofbrau Oktoberfest, which was so nasty, I couldn’t even drink it. However, the Chelsea Pumpkin Pie Ale totally made up for it. I absolutely loved it. It tasted just liked pumpkin pie, so I ended up ordering a full-size pint with my dinner.

IMG_0001 (800x600)_thumb[1]

To eat, I ordered a roast beef sandwich with Smoked Gouda, horseradish mayonnaise, and pickled onions on French bread. It hit the spot.

IMG_0011 (800x600)_thumb[2]

Derp. I love pumpkin beer.

IMG_0008 (800x600)_thumb[2]

After running 20 miles and drinking a few beers, I’m going to sleep like a baby tonight. PJs time!

Good night!

P.S. Taper time starts now! Yay! Runner friends: do you have any advice for me? I’m clueless.

Chase - the CHASE project October 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

Taper advice: Resist the urge to exercise! Your legs will be BEGGING to run but just don’t do it if it’s not scheduled! I went nuts but it really paid off in the end!

Laura October 17, 2011 at 9:38 am

The run seems super well organized!! I’m so jealous that you get to run in such a motivational environment… I haven’t still found even a race that I want to run yet…
    The post-run looks even better than the run tho! ;)

tracy October 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

oh yeah, wear a shirt with your name on it for marathon day – new york fans will shout it out and def. cheer you on!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

Ok, so the Hofbrau Oktoberfest amidst those other beers is like a sad, German college student desperately trying to get into Yale.

kayleigh October 17, 2011 at 9:39 am

i love that t shirt!! do you know where i could get one?

Lindsay October 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

Wow! Amazing! You did so great, what an accomplishment! And what’s with this ice bath thing? Is that a big requirement after such a long race? I’m very intrigued! I have soaked in a lot of epsom salts from sore pointe shoe feet…but not ice…do fill me in please:)!

Corrie Anne October 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

seriously an awesome way to get that long run in. and i love your matching shirts. adorable!

Tropical Eats October 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

wooohooo! it was good seeing you and so glad you gals had a great run :)

i agree, front runners was soooo organized! loved the guys on bikes with the orange and blue balloons. i kind of wanted to hop on and finish the last 3 miles on their bike haha.

Alyssa October 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

Congratulations! So nice to hear of an event that organized and well-staffed, especially by volunteers. Passionate folks can do anything!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

Looks like it was a fabulous day! Congrats on the run! :) 20mi is no joke.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com October 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

how is it you manage to make running look so fun!!?!? I always love the run recaps…they are very inspiring :-)

Alaina October 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

What a great run! That is awesome that the Front Runners put this training run on for the marathon runners. :-) Beautiful weather too!

Running and then beer is the best.

Lauren October 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

Tina – this run was specifically an under-the-radar thing for FRNY and Dashing Whippets runners. Not a public event! I’d just be careful about blogging this because I don’t think they want this to blow up into a big event for all since it’s really intended for the team members…

Sarah@The Flying ONION October 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Woohoo!! Go you! 20 miles is awesome. :D

lauen October 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Wow, another 20-miler done! I’m amazed & a bit jealous :) The furthest I’ve run is 13.1!
    From what I’ve heard about taper, you just need to follow your training plan to a T. Your legs will want to run and you’ll want to make sure you are ready – but trust your training, you ARE ready!

Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I am NOT a fan of beer at all…but if I could find one that tastes like pumpkin pie, I maaaay change my mind!!

VeggieGirl October 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I love the fact that you drink a good beer :) I love a good brew, we just got back from Asheville NC and they had so many brewery/pubs that were amazing!

Susi May October 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love that beer in bath idea! It totally takes the “yikes” factor is soaking in ice cold water down a few notches. Good luck in NYC!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 17, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Pumpkin Pie Ale…sounds delicious! I’ve been sampling a few Pumpkin brews myself. Have to catch onto the season while it lasts. Congrats on the 20 mile. You all did a beautiful job.

Noobie runner question – what is the idea behind the ice bath? Reminds me of an urban legend.

Hannah October 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm

AH! I live in Brooklyn (Fort Greene) and the marathon goes right near my apartment. I can’t believe you were so close! I’ll be cheering you on in a few weeks for I have a few other friends running it as well. You’re going to do great!!!

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm

oh dang Tina! You are crazy indeed! But in a really cool way. :D haha, it must feel so strange having beer while freezing your derrier off!

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm

What a great training run! And I love your refueling strategies. I want that egg sandwich. It looks amazing!

Hilary October 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Nicely done, and cute shirts. I’m a bad one to ask re: tapering, as I just make it up as I go! I’m sure you will do just fine!

Traci B October 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I used to say that people that exercised on their vacation were crazy. Now I’m one of those people!! HA! Congrats on your run!

Roz@weightingfor50 October 17, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Congrats on that run Tina. And congrats on the conquouring of the ice bath and beer flights too! (beer flights are the BEST!!!! Ice baths? not so much!)

Jen October 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Congrats to you both! That shirt color looks amazing on you :)

Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm

A group 20 miler through NYC…AMAZING! Seems like you’re doing everything just right…complete with post run quality beer consumption! You’ll do fine ;)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Congratulations on a successful run!!! I’m training for a half marathon right now, and I can’t even fathom the idea of running 20 miles! But never say never, I suppose! :)

Kellie October 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I am so jealous that your 20-miler was organized with other people. Running 20 alone was sad, sad, sad. I remember it was also raining and all I wanted was a hot cup of coffee and warm clothes. This actually looks fun! Congrats! Remember, you’ve put in the time. Resist running that extra mile on workouts now. You’ve got this. Just stay healthy!

Melanie October 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’d love to hear more about the reasoning/science behind the ice baths. I’m not really a runner but I do some long distance/mountainous hiking and it never fails that I’m rendered immobile for a few days. Wondering if ice baths might help?

Cate October 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Great job on the run! I am hoping to get into the NYCM lottery for next year. I am running my first marathon in two weeks – The Marine Corps Marathon and I am scared to death! I know I will finish, but I just have no idea what to expect.

Tina October 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

@Cate: Good luck!!! You’ll do great! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Wow! 20 miles! Good for you! I wish I could do that, I’m taking baby steps to it! Great job!!! Woohoo!!! Enjoy those beers you deserve it!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm

This post brought be me back to running the NYC Marathon last year – so much fun! Congratulations on your 20 miler and you are going to have so much fun racing. :)

Sarah October 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

The ice baths are to help your muscles recover faster. It will bring down the inflammation and help blood flowing into your muscles. It may sound painful, but it will really help your legs recover from a long run faster, and they will go numb after a couple minutes.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop October 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

So glad your 20 miles went so well! I know you were worried a few weeks back when you had that minor injury. No problems!

And question for you, I notice you always ice-bath after a long run. I have a shower stall and no tub, any suggestions? Just a nice cold shower?
    ~Ang

Laural @ Being Healthier October 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

@Angela @ The Chicken Scoop: I used to take ice baths in college track but now I just make ziplock baggies of ice ( or grocery store bags) and lay them on top of the area (my knees) .. no bath required! I use a towel underneath just in case there is leakage. I also use frozen veggies too if my ice maker won’t put out enough ice!

Mary October 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Cake Boss!!! My kids LOVE that!

Electra @ vanillabeanlean.com October 18, 2011 at 10:23 pm

20 miles!? All I have to say is that you seriously rock and I admire your running goals! :)

Laural @ Being Healthier October 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

way to go on 20 Tina! My tip was the last 6 miles were harder than I thought they’d be but just keep pushing – it is a mental struggle and once I saw the finish I just focused on that!

Tina October 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m so worried about the last 6. Did you use mantra or anything like that to keep you going?

Chels R. October 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Great job on the 20 miler! I love all of the recovery foods and activities as well. ;)

Meghann October 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

I think I saw the three of you on Sunday morning! were you a little turned around in greenpoint, brooklyn? I was walking through the neighborhood noticing all the runners and I remember seeing your shirts! glad to hear it went so well for you. honestly, if you made it through the 20-miler, you have nothing to worry about on race day. the energy at NYCM is unbelievable and the adrenaline will get you through! good luck!