• Pug Pimple

October 30, 2011

GAH! Look what happened overnight! SNOW! BOO times a million.

Murphy felt the same way about the snow this morning. I had to drag him outside into it, but once he was out there, he quickly did his business— he wanted to get back in the house as much as I did! I’m glad that Murphy is a snow-hater too.

Breakfast

At 7:45 this morning, Murphy was hungry for breakfast, so he woke me up. I’m telling ya, this dog is on a schedule like you wouldn’t believe! Plus, it’s Murphy’s world, and I’m just living in it. So, I got out of bed, poured myself a glass of iced coffee with soy milk and a splash of coffee creamer (holy yum!) and snacked on some grapes while I cleaned the kitchen.

A little while later, Mal woke up and made us eggs for breakfast. I also had a toasted Bagel Thin with Chia Charger nut butter spread on top.

After breakfast, Mal and I meal planned for the upcoming week. Mal picked out a few recipes to make while I checked out our coupon situation and researched in-store deals. Each week, we either shop at Whole Foods or Stop & Shop depending on sales and coupons. This week, Whole Foods won because their Whole Deal flyer had lots of great coupons on it.

Our meal planning might sound (and look) like a lot of work, but it gets easier each time. This morning, it only took us about 15 minutes, and it’s totally worth it. We save a lot of money at the grocery store!

Once our grocery shopping list was all set, we hit up Google to try to figure out what’s going on with Murphy’s face. I mean, it know it’s absolutely adorable, but his lip has developed a massive pimple-like thing on it.

Check it out!

2011-10-30_1210

Murphy’s pimple turned up a little over a week ago. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse, but it’s not getting better either. It doesn’t seem to bother Murphy, but Mal and I are total worrywarts when it comes to our dog, so, of course, we’re concerned.

Has anyone’s dog ever had this happen to them? Should we be concerned?

Kristin October 30, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Murphy never fails to make me smile! He is so freakin adorable! I hope his lip gets better soon :)

Laura @ Special Treats of Laura's Life October 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Our pugs get these little pug pimples once in a while too. They haven’t had one in a while, but we asked our vet when it happened last. Guess how crazy this is…our vet said it’s basically Herpes for dogs. haha. I know, gross…there is nothing they can do about it and they’ll go away on their own. They catch them from other dogs….hope this helps!

Murphy is so cute!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 30, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love seeing pictures of murphy, too cute! I wish it was snowing here :D

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 30, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I love that y’all do meal planning together. I think it’s good for y’all in many ways. I bet you’re getting excited about the marathon… getting close!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ October 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I am an avid meal planner/couponer too and I have a question. We used to get a budget for the week and sometimes I would go under and sometimes over (gosh this balance thing totally translates everywhere in the healthy living world!!!) but i am the type of person who get frustrated when i spend over, thinking i should have cut back somewhere else. do you guys set a budget weekly, monthly, etc? I thought maybe switching to a monthly budget might be better just for mental purposes. I realize this sounds completely insane and I should just accept the fact that shrimp will always be more than chicken but, just curious about how you guys handle it.
    Thanks!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I wish I had your approach to meal planning! I always decide at the last minute and end up running out to the grocery store 3x a week to pick up random items. :P

Liz October 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I have an English Mastiff and she’s had the “pimple” thing before too. We took her to the vet because we were worried about it and the vet told us that it’s just a virus that dogs get. It took about a month to go away. Hopefully Murphy’s is just a virus too and will go away soon.

Sara October 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I *just* brought my Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix to the vet on Saturday for a similar bump, though his was more on the side of his mouth by the whiskers. I was told it is like an infection of an ingrown hair (Google folliculitis) and dogs can get them around their mouth/whisker area. Holding a warm washcloth against it helped it so much already in a day. They usually go away on their own (the warm washcloth helps bring the gunk to the surface) but if my dog’s isn’t gone in a week she’ll prescribe him antibiotics.

Jen October 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

My black lab Briscoe had one on his nose and I didn’t know what it was (we’d only adopted him a few weeks earlier) and I made the mistake of squeezing it to see if it was hard or a pimple and it exploded and hit me in the face. Oops… sorry hope that wasn’t too gross. :)

Rachel October 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm

My cat had one of those just inside his nostril once. I’m so paranoid, I thought it was a tick! After realizing I couldn’t pull it off with tweezers (I have a very patient cat), I decided to leave it alone. It went away after a couple of days.

Julie October 30, 2011 at 7:56 pm

YES! My dog, Jamison, had a pimple that looked just like it… it kept getting bigger every week and we found it was his target spot for limes disease :(
    Unfortunately, I suggest you bring him to the vet and get his blood tested.

Dave October 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Snow in October isn’t cool!

Marie October 30, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hello there. It feels weird to suddenly comment on your blog as I have been reading for ages but I tend to be a silent reader. However I’m a vet and thought I’d give you a couple of ideas about your delightful little guys lip.
    1. Papilloma virus ie a wart. Benign and may go away on its own.
    2. Histiocytoma. A benign mass from inflammatory cells. Often goes away but sometimes is cut out as they can ulcerate.
    3. Mast cell tumor. Not so benign. Usually in dogs older than 5ish. Not sure how old Murphy is.
    4. Venomous spider bite (I live in Australia, gotta put it in!)

Really though it looks like a wart!!! Let us know how it goes. If it does not go away in a couple of weeks or changes get it looked at.
    M

~Christy @ wonderofallthings October 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Our pup is 13 and has had every benign growth known to man…and I think I’ve checked out every single one. The vet has a “map” of them all just so we can keep track! Definitely worth checking out for your own peace of mind. My vote is for the wart. BTW, you guys can have the snow for the time being, we (MN) aren’t ready yet! ;)

Ann @ Turbo Teacher October 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Ehhh ~ I am NOT looking forward to that icky SNOW!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I tweeted you early, but… my pug has one right now too & he’s had one before! It’s gone away on it’s own in the past. He’s had his current zit for about a week, so I’m expecting it to clear up soon. I told him he must be going through “pugerty” (pug puberty). I need help. ;-)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Wow! It’s early for snow! But growing up in Buffalo, I remember walking around on Halloween in my snow suit! Have a wonderful evening and stay warm!

Lynda Healthy Hoboken Girl October 30, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Oh, poor Murphy…I think he’s just nervous about you leaving and the marathon!!

Don’t worry…he’ll be fine. I’m sure it will go away soon.

Nicole October 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

When my little Tello had an irritation on his skin from licking all the time, the doctor said the face pimples (which he also had) could be linked to it and was a bacterial infection. HOWEVER, that was a new vet and I have never gone back there. Even though I moved states about 6 months ago, I still visit my family and take my Pug every time so he can go to his old vet. They said it is normal unless it lasts longer than say, a week and a half. I think Pugs are just special that way and get pimples. All the more proof they are unique and just like us.

Debbie (Accidently Delish) October 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

i swear my dog can tell time. she comes into our bedroom every morning RIGHT before the alarm goes off. even with the days becoming shorter she still knows. always boggles my mind. she also knows right when it’s dinner time. amazes me.

Chase - the CHASE project October 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I get every weird thing checked out at the vet. Callie had a weird bump on her tail and it turned out to be a malignant tumor. I’d rather be sure.

Chetney (Czesia Lives) October 30, 2011 at 9:51 pm

No snow!!!! Every time I read your morning blogs I get the biggest craving for iced coffee! Now I have one every morning without fail, with almond milk and stevia :)

Erin October 30, 2011 at 9:51 pm

One of my pugs gets one in the same place and it always seems to last forever. eventually it just goes away!!!

natalie October 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I can’t believe that snow, and you still had an ICED coffee? I would be drinking warm beverages galore. ;)

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] October 30, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Murphy looks so cuddly on Mal! I love it.

My dog, a boxer, gets those pimple things once in a while. They usually go away on their own but our vet said you can even squeeze them like a human zit. eew!

Elizabeth October 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm

My dog has gotten one of those before. Being the neurotic mess of a parent that I am, I called the vet within 2 seconds. They said it was likely a bug bite and would go away in a few days. It did, he was fine. They said if it was getting bigger or oozing nasty stuff that it might be cause for concern, but if not just to leave it alone.

Mary October 30, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Ingrown hair is a fair guess for dogs of any breed.

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 31, 2011 at 12:34 am

We got snow today too, but then again I do live in Alaska, so I shouldn’t be surprised or upset (but I always am).

sherice October 31, 2011 at 2:03 am

your Murphy is adorable.. we have 2 Boston Terriers and we love love them!! I hope his pimple clears up soon!

Kelly October 31, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m not sure if this is it, but my boyfriend’s sister has a pug and I know that she has to use special wipes to clean out the wrinkles so that it stays clean and there and doesn’t get infected. Not sure, but could be related to that??

Bethany October 31, 2011 at 8:57 am

My husky had a bump show up on his nose that was the size of a pencil eraser. His brother, a bossy little terrier, licked it raw so we brought him in to the vet. It was nothing serious and we just had to let it heal and it did go away eventually. So long as the bump is not attached to anything underneath the skin it is probably okay. And it could be something as simple as an ingrown hair or acne.

Aprile October 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

Tina,

Don’t fret, my Zoey (half Boston / half Pug) had one and my boyfriend popped it, it cleared right up. Interesting how puppies get pimples too, eh?!

Sucks that you got snow. Stay warm. xo

Tina October 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

I have a pug. This is normal. Vet says to put neosporin on it twice a day. Won’t hurt Murphy if he licks a little of it off either.

Nicola October 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I hate snow too – hopefully we won’t have any in the UK until Christmas (the only day I like it!) Good to see you keep the iced coffees up though…come snow or shine!

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop October 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

My cat had something similar and it just went away after a week or so. I hope all is well with him!
    ~Ang

Ashley October 31, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I have a pug and he gets pimples that look just like that every so often. They go away after awhile.

Biscuit October 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm

my pug got them all the time, I just put a warm washcloth on it, and then dabbed it with a cotton ball with tea tree oil and water on it.

Takes about a week to clear up. Hope Murph feels better soon, he’s still a handsome fella.

Beth October 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm

My pug feels the same way about snow he hates and pouts when I make him go out. Winston gets pimples almost constantly next he gets one (his look way worse than Murphy’s) I will send you a picture.

Laural @ Being Healthier October 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

boo to the snow so early this year what is up with the weather stuff in 2011 ? earthquakes, tornadoes, snow in october, pimples on dogs lips… hmmm

ive seen similar on my ex’s dog and the vet just removed it no prob.

Jen October 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I have a pug too. Finnegan used to get those pimple-y things all the time. Like, every couple of months when he was 2-3 years old. The vet told us it was nothing to worry about, they go away on their own in a couple of weeks and they always did. He’s 4 now, and I can’t remember the last time he had one, knock on wood!!

Meg November 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Our little pug is almost 2 years old and gets little pimples like that from time to time. We’ve never asked our vet about them. We just leave them alone and eventually they go away!

Pug Daddy November 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Puggin’ awesome!

JenniferfromLaJolla November 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Our pug, Henry, gets those occasionally too. We call them “wimples” because our vet told us they are warts.