• My Favorite Running Posts

October 16, 2011

Never in a million years did I think running would become such a huge part of my life. A little over a year ago, I signed up for my first marathon and started taking running a little more seriously.

Clearly.

IMG_4457640x478_thumb

Since then, I’ve run nearly two dozen races, hundreds of miles, and made some awesome friends in the process. I honestly can’t imagine my life without running now.

(Please click over to Ali’s blog and wish her good luck in her first marathon today!)

034-500x375

In honor of my 20-mile run this morning and soon-to-be taper (woot!), here are my favorite running posts to date:

My Race Recaps

I love running races. Of course, I enjoy the excitement of the day, but the best part is the competition with yourself. When I sign up for a race, I always set a goal, which motivates me to train hard and improve my time. I’ve completed a number of different distances from 5K to marathon. You can read all of my race recaps and see how I display my medals.

My Favorite Treadmill Workouts

The winters are cold and long in Boston, so I take my running indoors to the treadmill on occasion. Here are some of my favorite treadmill workouts, which keep me interested and motivated, no problem.

The Race Where I Didn’t Poop My Pants

Finishing this race meant so much to me. At one point, I couldn’t even take Murphy for a walk around the block without an emergency trip to the bathroom. It’s amazing was some positive thinking, strong drugs, and a few dietary changes will do.

How to Start Running: Tips for Beginners

Running is great exercise and an effective way to tone muscles, but it can be daunting to take the first step! Here are some tips to make it less intimidating.

Tips for Increasing Your Distance

Training for a marathon taught me a lot about how to increase my distance. Here are the tips and tricks that have helped me build my mileage from one to 26.2!

How I Fuel for a Long Run

Running long distances requires a lot of energy. Before a long run or a race, I eat the same breakfast: peanut butter and banana on whole wheat bread or an EnglisThe h muffin. During a long run, here’s how I fuel. Within 30 minutes of completing a long run, I typically ‘refuel’ with eggs, a smoothie, or a peanut butter sandwich.

My Favorite Running Products

While training for my first marathon, I learned what I need (and don’t need) to run well. Some products are more essential than others, but these are the ones that I can’t live (run) without.

All for 26.2

Before Mal and I left to run our first marathon in Arizona, I recapped our journey.

Recap of My First Marathon

In January, I ran the Rock ‘N’ Roll Arizona Marathon. It was an amazing experience—and really frickin’ tough!

Get Out There and Run

On the days when I’m just not motivated to run, here’s what I do. Seven tips and tricks to get out there and run!

Ways to Deal with Training & Cravings

After gaining weight while training for my first marathon, I vowed not to gain weight the second time around. I still experienced plenty of cravings during training for my second marathon, but I didn’t fall into them (as much), so I didn’t gain weight.

Marathon Fueling Q & A

Last July, I had the opportunity to ask a Certified Sports Dietitian a number of questions about how to properly fuel during marathon training. You can read our whole question and answer session here.

How I Survive Winter Running

I used to dread running outside in the winter, but learning how to deal with the cold and dress properly for the conditions has made it much more enjoyable. Here’s how I get myself out the door and running!

How I Prepare for Race Day

I thought it would be helpful to share my race day routine since it can be equally exciting as it is nerve-wracking. Here’s how I maximize the enjoyment of race day without stressing out over too many of the details.

Garmin 305 Review

I absolutely love my Garmin 305! It’s improved my running so much, and I can’t run without it now! My review gives the pros and cons of this particular Garmin model.

Christine @ Burning It Off October 16, 2011 at 7:17 am

Great collection of posts. I’m bookmarking the one on winter running.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 16, 2011 at 7:22 am

Have fun on your 20 miler!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 16, 2011 at 7:53 am

Excellent posts! I will definetly be checking them out :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

Love it! Thanks for posting these. Today I’m running 7 miles, can’t wait to hit the trail.

Sarah@The Flying ONION October 16, 2011 at 8:12 am

This is a fabulous post! It’s great to see how others are impacted by running and how far they’ve come from day one of running.

I did my first half this year and would *love* to do the full marathon someday. You’re one of my inspirations. :D

Meg October 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hey Tina,

Loved your post about your favorite running gear! I just had a question for you. I am a new runner but quickly falling in love with long runs but I am too scared to get off the treadmill. I usually drink a 20 oz bottle of water while I run (plus gatorade or coconut water if running for more than an hour) and I usually have to use the bathroom while running too. Running outside looks amazing and I want to enjoy these gorgeous fall days we are having but I know I can’t run while carrying all that fluid and it scares me not having a bathroom nearby. Any suggestions?? Thanks and btw I love your blog!

Erika - The Teenage Taste October 16, 2011 at 8:31 am

I didn’t realize how many running posts you have on your site, Tina! I’ll definitely be checking back whenever I need running advice! :-D

Lynda @ healthy Hoboken girl October 16, 2011 at 8:41 am

What an inspiration! Thanks for all the great tips. I’m trying to increase my distance, and it’s nice to have support out there! Keep running Tina!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 16, 2011 at 9:03 am

This post is so helpful! A few of the topics in your past posts particularly interested me such as increasing my mileage, running during the winter, & getting motivation. You’re awesome, woman! Have a great run today!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 16, 2011 at 9:05 am

Awesome! Can’t wait to check some of those out! Good luck on your run today!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 16, 2011 at 9:55 am

Great round-up of posts! I’m doing my first 10k race next month :)

Tina October 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wahoo! Good luck!

Megan @ Foodie Cycles October 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Great Post! loving all the links.. I never thought I would grow to love running either.. my next journey is MAYBE a full marathon.. eeeeeeek- we’ll see. I’d like to stick with my Triathlons instead! :o)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

These are great posts Tina! It gets really cold here too so I’m always looking to switch up my treadmill workouts. Good luck on the 20 miler!

cat @ cat's belly fat cure October 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

I think I’m gonna try your 3 minute treadmill challenge today. Will be interesting to test how my time improves over time. Will definitely be referring back to this post often.

Tina October 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

It’s a fun one! It definitely makes the time fly by!

Deva @ Deva by Definition October 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Running is becoming a bigger part of my life,which is funny, as I have been running for almost 13 years now! I just signed up for my first race AND have committed to a half marathon next year.

Khushboo October 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Definitely bookmarking this page- thanks!

Carly October 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm

It’s great that your interest in running has increased, but sometimes your blog has become overly focused on it. I found myself with 2 major running injuries last year after some of my favorite blogs became so running focused and I tried to keep up. Not just directed to you, but posting splits can set unrealistic expectations for your readers (and many bloggers do this), because not everyone is cut out to run that fast. Congrats to you on doing so well with running, but I wish your blog wouldn’t focus on running so much.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I have loved these posts–so this is a great way to have ‘em all in one place–have fun on your 20-miler!!

Cait's Plate October 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

LOVED this! It’s so inspiring and makes me just want to get out there and RUN myself!

40 something in Paris October 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

LOVED this post ! So much great advice. I read your blog faithfully everyday and really appreciated all the ideas ! Thanks !

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

what a wonderful collection of posts!

Dani Delicatessen October 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

For me, this post came at a great time- I am training for my first half marathon and today was my longest run on the plan (12 miles) I hope it sticks with me as it has you!

Julia H. @ The Petite Spiel October 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Great advice on increasing your mileage! I like that the tips are not only physical (doing intervals) but mental (not giving up; repeating mantras) as well! The mind is a powerful thing…

Tina October 17, 2011 at 9:34 am

Indeed it is! Let’s hope it helps me rock 26.2 on November 6th!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Love these posts! And huge kudos to you for sticking through this sport and excelling even with reoccurring injuries- takes a lot of courage!

Tina October 17, 2011 at 9:34 am
    Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Thanks!! This is awesome. I’m going to check out how to fuel for long runs and how to prep for race day. :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ October 16, 2011 at 7:31 pm

i love the goofy pictures! it makes running look so much less intimidating :-)

Ami@dashofcurry.com October 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’ve read most of these posts when they were first published, and it was so fun to go back and re-read them all together! I was able to refresh my memory on some of the fantastic running tips you offer!

Kellie October 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I hope the 20 miler went okay today! That’s such an accomplishment! It’s been great running weather here.

Lindsay October 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

I just did my first 5K! Not sure if I’m hooked on running yet…but it has promise:) I still think I’d be faster if I danced my way to the finish line!

Lindsay October 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Oh…and the “race in which I did not poop my pants” made me burst out laughing. I know it was traumatic at the time, but it is funny to look back on!!