• Why Aren’t You Running Anymore?

September 7, 2011

Woah.

Today is flying by! And it’s already Wednesday! Short work weeks rule.

Breakfast

I started my day with a warm, creamy bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla soy milk mixed in. Hooray for oatmeal season! I missed it.

2011-09-07_1118

I topped my oats with pecans, peanuts, cashews, raisins, ground flaxseed meal, and a big scoop of peanut butter.

_MG_3550 (640x426)

And, of course, there was iced coffee.

2011-09-07_1120

_MG_3542 (640x426)

A bunch of you guys noticed that I haven’t been running very much lately— and you’re right. I haven’t been running very much. You guys don’t miss a thing!

Everything was going great with my training for the New York City Marathon. I ran 125 miles in July and successfully completed two 14-mile runs (one in Boston and one in Philadelphia), but then my hip started to hurt, so I took a few days off from running to let it recover. After five days of rest, I tested out my hip with a short 3-mile run. It went okay, but not great. I took it easy for another few days, and then ran 2 miles. That run did not go well, so I took a full week off, and then attempted a 5-mile run last week, which went terribly. Wah. My hip is still pretty sore.

In the past, I’ve suffered from a number of running-related injuries, so I know that the recovery process is often long (and frustrating), but, of course, since I am training for a marathon, I am worried about keeping up my weekly mileage. Running hurts my hip, so I’m taking some time off from it and incorporating other kinds of exercise into my weekly routine, like biking, elliptical, yoga, and various exercise classes offered at my gym.

I hope after a couple of weeks of switching up my workouts, my running fitness won’t wane too much, and I can slowly build up my mileage once again. Even though running is my main form of exercise during marathon training, I know cross-training is key to preventing injuries. Now, let’s hope my hip gets better ASAP!

Here’s this week’s workout schedule:

Sunday: Off
    Monday: 45-minute treadmill (walking) workout
    Tuesday: Body Pump
    Wednesday: Step
    Thursday: Yoga
    Friday: Elliptical + CNW
    Saturday: Off

Feel Great Weight

For this week’s Feel Great Weight post, I wrote about how consistency has been key to maintaining my weight: Lose the Weight? 8 Tips to Help You Keep It Off.

How often do you change up your workouts? What’s your primary motivation for changing them up?

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your hip. Injuries are no fun.

I usually switch up my workouts every few months because I get bored from my normal routine. It also changes somewhat with the seasons. For example, during the summer I exercise/run outside a lot more than the winter.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm

i’m dealing with runner’s knee right now, AGAIN. grr. I feel you. I change up more of my weights than cardio, just to give them all due work.

Claire September 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your hip!I had the same thing happen 3 weeks before a half marathon, I ended not being abe to run it which was a bummer! I did see a physical therapist and started and continue to do hip stregthening exercises that have made all the difference! Hope your are on the mend!

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

That sucks about your hip. So frustrating!

Since I too am training for a marathon, running is my primary form of exercise right now. But I also do three strength training sessions a week and jump rope to workout both my upper and lower body (the plyometrics of jump roping has helped increase my pace and endurance).

Hope your hip feels better soon!

alex September 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Hope your hip feels better soon…REST!

Theodora September 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Dear Tina’s hip: please get better. There is a marathon to be run and long runs to be done with your friend in NYC.

Theodora September 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Also: dear Tina’s hip: you are a little bitch.

de @ hazeleyedbetty September 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I am having the same issue! I am totally itching to run…sigh. I’m contemplating going tonight but am thinking yoga instead. I really want to run a half marathon in eleven days. Wah!
    Feel better!

Amy @ FitMommas September 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I’m terrible at changing up my workouts. I tend to find something and then love it too much! Right now, it’s my stationary bike before the kiddos wake up and the chaos of the day starts. It’s working for me so far, but I”m sure I’ll need to jack it up with a few other things in the near future!

Erin September 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Sorry about your hip!

I’m seven weeks away from the Marine Corps Marathon and am starting to get signs of tendonitis in my ankle. Sooooo frustrating. I’m taking a week off from running and trying to ramp up my cross-training. But I’m so incredibly nervous that I’m depleting my running legs and won’t be able to jump back into training and participate in the race. Such a scary/discouraging feeling!

I hope the time off the road does a lot of good for you hip and you are back on the path to completing the NYC Marathon really soon!

Ari @ Ari's Menu September 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I change things up whenever I get bored, unmotivated, my body hurts, or I feel like what I’m doing isn’t cutting it. I feel like if I tried to do the same routine at the gym for ever and ever I would hate life. Classes are my favorite way of changing it up for sure!

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Ohhh God bless you and hope your hips recuperates fully! I can’t imagine how uncomfortable that would be~ but it’s great that it’s not holding you back :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Good for you for doing this, Tina. Lots of people would just push on and continue to injure themselves even more and let things get to the out of hand stage. I know it’s hard to not do what you love but it’s only temporary and for the long term you’ll be so much better for it, I’m sure.

I linked back to your post yesterday, Back to School Lessons, in my current post because it really spoke to me and I wrote about some of my own lessons learned.

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Glad to hear that you’re listening to your body. It’s always frustrating when you have to stop what you’ve intended on doing or stop doing something that you truly enjoy, especially when you have something like a marathon that you’re training for. Much better that you do what you have to now than something worse happen down the line for pushing it. This past spring I had some knee issues that really scared me. I wasn’t even allowed to walk on the treadmill. It took time and multiple sessions to the doctor to get me back to where I am today. Normally, I try to switch things up every 4-6 weeks and make minor changes every week (like how many sets and reps I do). Lately, my problem has been one of consistency more than anything. ;)

Hope your hip feels better soon!

Alaina September 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oh no! I hope that your hip is feeling better. At least you’re getting some other working out in. :-)

laine September 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I change them as my mood and the seasons changed. Spring and early summer were all about yoga, then my favorite teacher left me for a month and I quit going and started kayaking. Then I got a hula hoop and added that into my days (massive sweat-fest hooping to You Tube videos from Grease and Dirty Dancing), along with some more quiet yoga. Now that it’s darker in the evenings, I like to go for walks, too.

Samantha @ Because I Can September 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your hip, hope it heals up as fast as possible for you.

When my legs are sore or tired from too much running I almost always turn the elliptical, but lately have been adding in bicycling too. I also love yoga, and constantly try different yoga videos that I can do at home.

Tichina September 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Hey there! So sorry to hear about the injury. Bones and muscles can be super lame sometimes…but staying optimistic, as you are, is key!
    As for switching things up at the gym I stay motivated by reading articles via the web or magazines (women’s health, oxygen, health etc.). Articles such as these always have a “get back in shape by winter/summer/spring/fall plan”! For me structure=motivation :).

Liz September 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Well, crap! So sorry to hear about the hip injury. Hopefully the cross-training workouts will keep you up to snuff on the marathon training! :)

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm

It is totally warm oatmeal weather! Though I have yet to break down and eat them warm this season… I just love cold oats, and cold food in general.

It is great to see that you are listening to your body! Rest is so important and the process of healing is super frustrating I know. It’s an awful feeling to not be able to run when you want to so badly.

I just had an MRI today of my left leg. I haven’t been able to run for two weeks and it is starting to be painful to walk :( They think it is a stress fracture or a severe calf sprain or ‘shin splints’… due to that leg doing much of the work (so I guess the root is a muscle/skeletal imbalance) I was running long distances through the pain for a long time and I really shouldn’t have. I am hoping it is something that will heal FAST with proper physical therapy once I get the results. I’m going crazy not being able to run and I am so clueless at the gym besides using a treadmill which I can’t now and the stationary bike which I can use but it is gawd awful boring haha

You offer a lot of great advice on your injury page! OMBE looks GREAT! :)

Anna September 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

That is so frustrating about your hip! I am so sorry to hear that it keeps bothering you and I hope you can get back to running soon. I’ve had problems with my hip and leg, which I think all stems from my body being mis-aligned so I put more weight on one foot. I am training for a marathon and am just holding my breath that nothing goes wrong…okay, maybe not ‘holding my breath’! btw…that oatmeal looks delicious..it has been a bit cold and rainy here so I think I’ll make some tomorrow!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Oh hey, remember how you mentioned gaining weight during marathon training? I think I learned why in my sports nutrition class yesterday. Did you happen to carboload before runs or the race? Because that itself will make you gain 2-5 lbs depending on how much glycogen you’re able to store in your muscles. For every gram of glycogen, 3 grams of water is stored in your muscles…so it could have been all water weight.

I know it doesn’t relate to this post, but it made me think of that during the discussion.

Hilary September 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I like to keep a lot of variety in my workouts for one main reason: so I don’t get BORED! I am not a natural lover of exercise, so the more I do, the greater the chance I’ll stick with it!

Amy September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

You need to turn up the yoga to at least 4 times a week. Ashtanga or vinyasa on the days you feel strong. Gentle on the days you feel less. Don’t beat yourself up, give yourself some time to heal and yoga can repair without losing strength. Your breath is a powerful tool!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

oh no :( Hope the hip heals soon xx

Katie @ Plates and Paste September 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Not as often as I should…but usually when I get bored. Hope your hip feels better soon! My hips get sore really easily…they’re my weak spot…and my knees.

Hillary September 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Ugh. I had a hip injury a few months ago. Oddly, once I got fitted for new running shoes, the pain went away—I just wish I had done that sooner!

I try to change up my workouts every couple of weeks, even if it’s only slightly. I do it because I get bored really easily, and I also like to keep my body guessing!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit September 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I like to change them up because I tend to get bored. I also think it is nice to give our bodies a little break. Over the last few weeks I have been focusing on yoga, pilates and stretching :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I’m sorry about your hip! I hope it heals up quickly. :)

I don’t really switch up my workouts that much. I’ve pretty much stuck to just running and the elliptical for the past 3 years! The only thing that has changed is that I do a lot more strength training now than I used to.

Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries September 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Bummer about your hip :( Running injuries are no fun, but it looks like you’re taking care of yourself. Resting is half the battle!

Kathleen September 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You are doing the right thing by taking time off and x training. Last fall I kept running through some minor hip pain until I tore my gluteus medius in the diva half marathon in NYC. Then no running at all for 3 months. I have been running for 30 years with minor aches and pains that would go away after a few days rest. The good news is that I am running strong again – but I do cross train more than ever. I also do alot of exercises to strengthen the hip area. Bridges, running backwards, side leg lifts, and grapevine. When yours heals completely , I highly recommend these exercises. I hope you are on your way to recovery! NYC marathon is a blast.

Beth B. September 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I’m sorry you’re having hip trouble. I actually just started having the same problem. I know there’s runners knee, but is there such a thing as runners hip? I think part of my issue is my running surface. If I only run on pavement, my hip hurts a lot. But if I switch it up between pavement and treadmill, it doesn’t get as irritated. I love running outside in the fresh air, but having to sometimes go inside makes me appreciate the outdoor runs much more :-)

Emily @ The Finicky Farmer September 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm

So sorry to hear about the injury! Have you considered visiting a chiropractor? I, too, have struggled with hip injuries and piriformis issues; visiting a chiropractor, though, has demonstrably helped my running and kept me on track with my training.

Good luck, and speedy healing!

Shannon September 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Hey Tina!

Since I’m a medical student I feel compelled to mention that I think you should see an Osteopathic Physician (D.O.) that uses OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine) as their main modality. I won’t go too much into the details about the diff between an MD and a DO b.c there aren’t many in the mainstream, unless you find that special group of DO’s that actually practice OMM and then you’re a lucky duck. Ask your insurance for a list of physicians and then look for a doctor with DO after their name and then call around and see who practices OMM. Trust me, you’ll be happy you did! The beauty of having a trained physician that can manipulate your body and diagnose is really something we all deserve. Anywho, if you end up finding one, yay! If not, good luck with the recovery, I know its frustrating.
    Shannon

Hannah September 7, 2011 at 11:24 pm

You know, for all my obsession with peanut butter, I have NEVER put plain peanuts on my oats!

Stephanie-Jo September 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

Hi Tina,
    I had hip surgery on Tuesday – after having issues with hip pain from running for about two years. I saw many many PT’s in Boston, and honestly the best hip guy ever is Dan Murray at Sports and Physical Therapy. I worked with him for the two months leading up to my surgery (labrum tear, Ilias Psoas release, osteoplasty) and I felt the best I had felt since being injured. They have offices all over Boston, but I think he is the best of the best if you ever want to get another opinion on your hip!

Cait's Plate September 8, 2011 at 8:21 am

Ugh sorry to hear about your hip. I’m in the same boat where I have to monitor my injury and make sure I’m scaling back when pain crops up. I think it’s smart of you to do that and you have nothing but awesome runs from July to look back on and be proud of :)

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop September 8, 2011 at 8:54 am

I often have hip pain from running too and its been worse now that I’m commuting 2 hours (one way) 4 days a week. All that sitting aggravates it! Let’s hope it gets better for both of us!!
    ~Ang

Shawna September 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

hope you recover quickly & fully! i had IT band issues for a few years and it’s definitely a bummer having to take time off from running. take care of yourself!

Shaun @ snackasaurusrex September 8, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Well, you have inspired me to run again, and it feels SO good! I could identify with alot of your struggle with injuries, especially IT band issues. I bought “the stick” and I think it has changed my life! Ran a 5 miler on Labor day and felt like a million bucks! Excited!!!

Sounds like you have a solid plan to get back on your training schedule…good luck to you!

jamie @ cueyourlife September 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I was totally on the run run run wagon…until I tried to “really beef up my training” in May. Turns out, right after a marathon..it’s a bad idea to think you can increase your speed, distance and hill strength all at once. Pretty sure it’s a bad idea all around…injury stinks!

But, as with most things…there was a silver lining! I bought a road bike and joined a yoga studio and now…both are part of my normal routine. Running will always be a part of it…but I feel strong in ways I never imagined now! Whoop!

Taren October 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

PSOAS! Same here… Just got to where I was running 6 miles in the morning before work and then BAM! Hurts like hell and its taking forever to heal. 😠