• Wake Up DC

September 29, 2011

Hello, hello!

I woke up bright and early to join Leslie and Beth for an early morning run around DC. The weather was humid, but surprisingly cool and breezy at the same time. It made for some lovely running weather.

Beth took us on a 5-mile loop around the monuments and back to our hotel.

After our run, Leslie and I quickly showered and headed to breakfast in the Executive Lounge at the Washington Hilton. How fancy does that sound?! We even need a special key to get in. The Destination DC folks hooked us up!

First stop at the continental breakfast: COFFEE!

And then FOOD!

“Food… lots of food.”

There wasn’t a ton of options, but I was happy to see that the majority of them were pretty healthy. (Check out my tips for navigating a continental breakfast!)

IMG_0164 (600x800)IMG_0166 (800x600)

For breakfast, I ended up picking Raisin Bran cereal with milk, fresh fruit, and a banana. I later went back for a hard-boiled egg since I noticed that my meal had hardly any protein in it. Our day is packed with eating, making pastries, and more eating, so I kept breakfast light this morning.

Now, Leslie and I are blogging and catching up with other work.

As you probably know, I love hotels (my hotel reviews), so here are a few pics from my room. All of the rooms in the hotel were recently renovated, so everything is brand spanking new in it.

I really love the shower in the bathroom!

Off to explore DC and eat more!

Wifey September 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Sounds like a fun run. Seeing the pics reminds me of the Marine Corps Marathon. ;)

The hotel looks nice. Enjoy.

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Hilary September 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Looks like a fun day…and good breakfast choices…enjoy!

Alaina September 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I was just in DC! The weekend I was there was so humid and not very breezy. I would have loved to run around the monuments but just ended up walking. Do you get a chance to go to Georgetown? So cute! :-)

Rachel September 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I stayed in that same hotel, I remember the bathroom… I just can’t remember what chain… Hilton, maybe? I love DC! Jealous you get to do such a fun tour of it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm

what a lovely hotel! Have fun!

Emily @ The Finicky Farmer September 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Running in DC is such fun! On a run about ten years ago, I set out for an easy 3 miler. But, because the streets aren’t linear, I ended up far from my hotel and on an impromptu tour of DC highlights…about 8 miles worth of them. When I finally asked for directions, some kind woman walked back to my hotel with me. Have a great time!

Jay September 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

We are pretty damn lucky to be able to run around the Mall.

Molly @ RDexposed September 29, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Oatmeal at continental breakfasts are heartbreaking…every time! A good running route balances things out though!

cat @ cat's belly fat cure September 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Love your hotel room. Nice. It’s great to get hooked up, isn’t it. All of that fruit looks yummy! Have fun, so exciting.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) September 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

My favorite part of staying in hotels is the complimentary continental breakfast bar. So good and so much variety. :) Have a great trip.

Hannah September 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I just like EVERYTHING about hotels. Except gross ones with weird stains on the bedspread.

Charissa September 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh my. Your hotel breakfast looks a lot better than the hotel breakfasts I’ve been having lately. Jealous.

Katie @ BloomEveryday September 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

That hotel looks smashing! My uncle lives in DC and I think my hubby and I may need to take a trip. :)

Lauren September 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Enjoy the food! Eat eat, mangia mangia!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Have fun! The hotel and food look good!!

ChocolatePBCups September 30, 2011 at 12:01 am

I love DC! Such a fun place. And when I went I never got the chance to go on a run there, but I saw so many people running all the time, I loved it! And surprisingly that looks like a yummy and healthy continental breakfast!

Lara @TresLaLa to TinyLaLa September 30, 2011 at 1:31 am

LOVE it when hotels have shower doors, not shower curtains. Creeps me out, thinking who’s bum (or front!) that shower curtain might have accidentally touched. Eww, I’m grossing myself out thinking about it. Enjoy your trip!

VeggieGirl September 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ooooo verry FANCY! Im loving your tips for navigating a continental breakfast (or brekkie as we love to say in Australi!)

Jacqueline September 30, 2011 at 9:39 am

The photo you took of the coffee looks so good! Now you have me beelining to starbucks…

Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 30, 2011 at 5:16 pm

OMG i just commented on your other post on how my husband and i went to dc this summer… Umm we also stayed at that hotel! LOL and on the executive lounge floor. You know those executives need free fruit and afternoon cookies and appetizers ;)

Alyssa October 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Was the reflecting pool still under construction? I visited DC in early August and the whole thing was torn up…oh well, I’ll just have to re-visit!

Yolanda October 2, 2011 at 7:36 am

Can I ask the name of the hotel without invading your privacy? It looks great!

Tina October 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

@Yolanda: It’s the Washington Hilton. The link to the hotel website is above in my post! :)