• In My Shoes

September 13, 2011

PLEASE NOTE: SmartCoach Plus believes the plan you have selected is not sufficient to prepare you for the Marathon. Please consider choosing a different race that will give you more training time. If you decide to enter this race, run conservatively, and don’t hesitate to take walking breaks as necessary.

2011-09-13_0835

Gah. This is not good news.

Last night, I dreamt that I missed the New York City Marathon because I went shopping during it. I actually ran the first six miles, and then took a detour to check out a department store. I have no idea what this dream means, but it freaked me out about my training. I’m running out of time!

Ok, so, I ran 14 miles about 3 weeks ago, so I’m not totally unprepared, but I’m not sure whether I can sufficiently increase my mileage in 8 weeks to be ready for a marathon. Maybe I can?

My hip feels okay after taking some time off from running, but I have no idea what’s going to happen once I start increasing my mileage again. I could always defer my race entry to 2012, but I really want to run it this year. I raised money for Team for Kids, spent a (nonrefundable) fortune on a hotel room, and a bunch of my blog buddies are running it too, so I really, really, really want to run NYCM on November 6th.

Ughhh. Stupid injuries.

Last Night’s Dinner

Great dinner last night! I love chicken stir fry. It reminds me of my childhood and it’s so delicious— nutritious, too (as long as you don’t load on the soy sauce).

_MG_3694 (640x426)

_MG_3692 (640x426)

I added a side of brown rice to my serving.

_MG_3690 (640x426)

For dessert, I enjoyed a White Chocolate Macadamia Chewy Nut Bar that the folks at Odwalla sent me to sample. I liked it, but I didn’t love it. Something about it tasted really artificial—maybe the white chocolate chips? I dunno, I usually love Odwalla bars and had really high hopes for this one, but it just didn’t do it for me.

_MG_3719 (640x426)

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a mushy mess of deliciousness.

_MG_3726-2 (640x426)

In the mix:

• Quinoa (cooked last night)
    • Rolled oats
    • Vanilla soy milk
    • Ground flaxseed meal
    • Trail Mix HoneyBar (crumbled up)
    • Peanut butter

_MG_3738-2 (640x426)

And, as always, my day started with a glass of iced coffee with soy milk.

_MG_3729-2 (640x426)

If you were in my shoes, what would you do about my marathon dilemma?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’ve never even run in a race, so I have no idea what I would do in your shoes. Just do what feels right to you and I’m sure that’ll be the right choice. :) And just remember that you can stop whenever you want!

erika September 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

As a physical therapist, I would ask you if you injure yourself by doing this run, is it worth being unable to run or potentially do many other activities you enjoy for 6-8 months as a result? What if you didn’t run it and did it next year where you can focus on being able to be active and get stronger to allow yourself to run stronger next year vs. just getting through it? Ultmately, what is it worth to you?

Rachel C September 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Tina

I had an injury while training for a 1/2 marathon and went to a sports meds Dr. He took x- rays, gave me struck instructions on how to manage the injury, it was my foot, and told me to keep training. Could you go to a Dr for advice to help you make your decision? It is hard when your head and body want different things :/

Good luck

Rachel

Luv What You Do September 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Running 26 miles is an amazing accomplishment. I have had some doubts myself as I train for my first marathon in a few weeks. I decided that the hardest part is signing up and the second hardest part is training. On race day, you just have to show up. By that point, you have already accomplished so much with training runs and fundraising. Your performace on that one day (whether your walk or run, finish or not) does not take away from all of your hard work, energy, effort, and the memories you will make in NYC with your blogger buddies. I say ‘Go For It!’ You’ll be great!

Emily September 13, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I say do it too!!! A lot of trainers, PT’s, drs.. What ever might tell u not to.. But I ran the san Diego marathon this past June with only running 10 miles tops… We were only planning on running the half and decided last minute that we had to run the full.. We did have in our mind though that we were not going to care what time we did it in.. It was the most amazing feeling running the whole thing that we ended in 5 hours and were really proud! I wouldn’t change my decision for anything!! Just do it, just know it might not be a PR! :)

Ali @ Ali Runs September 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

Ugh, such a tough situation. Is there any way you can go see a doctor to help make the decision for you? Maybe if you aren’t going to try to PR and you could use the run/walk method, it would help? Good luck with your decision!

Nicole September 14, 2011 at 9:47 am

I ran the Honolulu Marathon a few years back, did it for a charity, so fundraised a lot of $$$. I got really bad shin splints about 5 weeks before the race and stopped running for two full weeks. I still had pretty bad shin splints race day, but did finish in 5:02 and shin splints have never come back. You can totally do it. Just keep your cardio up, whether you are swimming, biking, etc. Running is really one foot in front of the other and marathons are totally mind over matter!

Kathleen September 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hi, as a runner for 30 years you might want to consider deferring to next year. You want th marathon to be a good experience without putting yourself at risk for future injury. I know, easier said then done. Listen to your gut and body.

Robin September 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Like the program says, take walk breaks! Look into the run-walk-run method with Jeff Galloway.

Jessica @ Early AM Runner September 20, 2011 at 6:10 am

Easy on the hip. I have an SI Joint injury from overusing my hip and have been out for a few weeks. PT is NOT fun, not to mention the deep tissue massages…ouch like woah!