• Dinner and a Parade

September 3, 2011

After renting a power-washer for the deck and priming the bathroom walls for painting, Mal and I were more than ready to kick up our feet and relax yesterday afternoon, so we headed to Tory Row in Harvard Square for dinner.

2011-09-02 001

We started with a round of drinks. Beer for him. Wine for me.

Harvard Square is an amazing place for people-watching. The fashion choices alone kept us entertained!

While enjoying the sights and sounds of Harvard Square, a mini parade passed right in front of us. How fun!

The parade reminded me of something you’d see in Vermont, and it turns out the group was from there!

I <3 Vermont. Can I just move there already?

A little while later, dinner arrived. I ordered the hummus plate, which I thought was a bigger portion with more dip-ables. I guess I should have asked before I ordered it. Oops. My bad.

Thankfully, Mal shared his roasted potatoes with me, so I wasn’t left hungry. They were wicked good!

On tap for today: brunch with friends, more home improvement projects, making Pepper Jack Pimiento Cheese and watching the Oregon game.

Ready? Go!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 3, 2011 at 8:54 am

What a fun evening! I can’t believe a mini-parade went right past you, what great luck!

What a teensy hummus plate! Lucky that Mal is the sharing type :)

Lauren September 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

I thought I recognized them – I’ve seen them in a few fourth of July parades in Vermont!

Mer @mersworld September 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

Hi Tina- thanks for the post! Just wanted to say that my husband and I have been enjoying your tour of Boston/MA restaurants! We’ve changed plans several times to check out ones that you and Mal have visited! We ended up at Rialto last night and they had a ‘small plate’ menu on the outdoor patio that was perfect for a smaller taste of all of their larger entrees! You might want to add that to your restaurant rotation!

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm

@Mer @mersworld: Yay! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Khushboo September 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

That hummus portion needs to double!!

Hannah September 3, 2011 at 9:20 am

Those potatoes do look fabulous!

Jessica September 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

Tina- I would love it if you moved to Vermont than I could hang out with you :) I haven’t found any bloggers in VT!

katie @ KatieDid September 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

@Jessica: I’m from vermont :)

katie @ KatieDid September 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

ahhh Vermont represent! I’ve seen this group up here before!!

Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl September 3, 2011 at 9:41 am

I HATE when something I order ends up being elf food! It makes me so sad! That portion of hummus is itty bitty!

I completely agree with your regard for Vermont! What a perfect state! :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. September 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

The parade was celebrating all of things you got accomplished yesterday :)

Looks like it was a fun and beautiful evening!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food September 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

I probably would have eaten all of Mal’s potatoes! They look so good! Glad you had a fun night! :-D

BethT September 3, 2011 at 9:57 am

Wish we were there to watch football and eat pimiento cheese! I’d even bring my good southern mayonnaise… :p

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm

@BethT: Me too! We miss you guys!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 3, 2011 at 10:05 am

lol that is a bit of a sad hummus plate! but how random that the parade came by! very cool!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

That looks so festive!!

Alaina September 3, 2011 at 10:23 am

I haven’t made it to Tory Row yet. That’s my next stop in the square. :-)

Are you planning on going on the Wine Tour on the 17th? I picked Harvard Square to tour.

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

@Alaina: I’m not. I’ll be in NYC that weekend. I’m bummed to miss it! :(

Abi September 5, 2011 at 9:14 pm

@Alaina: can you give me more info on the wine tour? I just moved to Watertown and am in school in Cambridge so im always looking for new things to try in the area!

Alaina September 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

@Abi: http://www.citywinetours.com/home There are several options for tours (Back Bay, Harvard, North End). I’m going to try and do the Harvard Square this time around, but I definitely want to try all three!

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

Ah I hate when I expect my order to be different than how it arrives!

Kait @ One Love Run September 3, 2011 at 10:30 am

people watching is the best! looks like yours was very entertaining too! how cool.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 3, 2011 at 10:36 am

What a fun evening!! A great way to spend one of these last summer’s nights!

I use to live in Norwich, VT, home of King Arthur’s Flour, and I just loved it there!! I truly love Vermont!!

tricia September 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

That is absolutely my fiance in the background of your pics!

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

@tricia: What? Really!?! Small world, huh?

kristen September 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

GO DUCKS!!!

Cait's Plate September 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

Ah, it looks like such a fun night :) I love Harvard Square for people watching, it’s seriously the best.

Have a wonderful brunch today – we’re about to do the same over here!

Molly @ RDexposed September 3, 2011 at 11:17 am

The boy and I did some people watching too last night at our local brewery. There was no parade, just locals (even better!).

Lee September 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

I want to go to Vermont! I keep telling my husband that we need to go there for our next vacation. I haven’t been since I graduated from UVM in 2000. Umm, go cats?

Erin September 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

You mean “watching the LSU game”, right? ;)

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

@Erin: Ha! ;)

Nancy~The Wife of a Dairyman September 3, 2011 at 11:38 am

Ooh, pepper jack cheese! One of my favorites! I just took a cheesemaking class a few weeks ago….my first and just loved it! Can’t wait to see your post on pepper jack:)

Sweet and Savvy September 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Harvest Square looks like such a cool place!

VCK September 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Yeah! GO DUCKS! I’m so excited college football is back!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews September 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Looks like a really fun summer evening! Glad that you and Mal are having fun through this tough time that you’re going through.

Hilary September 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Looks like fun! A perfect evening for a late-summer weekend! I am doing a whole lotta nothing today (for which I am STOKED)!

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I think if I moved to Vermont I would just pitch a tent right by the Ben and jerrys factory… Maybe by the flavor graveyard?

Lara @TresLaLa September 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Can you believe I’ve never been to Vermont? My BIL & SIL live in NH, so I’m hoping to go over Christmas when we visit them (and my niece)!

The hummus plate is like an afterthought, not what is supposed to be the beginning (or entirety, in your case) of a great meal! (Reminds me of something that I’d pull together at home when I’m out of what I really want to eat.)

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

@Lara @TresLaLa: You should! VT is amazing!

Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory September 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Places with lots of people around are so much fun! That bread looks delicious! I am trying to figure out the side dish though! Is it tomatoes or little peppers?
    Oh and please read our new blog (don’t we sound desperate?) hahah

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

@Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory: They were peppers of some sort.

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds September 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm

The parade reminds me of something you might find at Mardi Gras down in Louisiana! :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul September 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm

haha as a child, I always saw men on those sticks. They’re everywhere in Argentina!! Even in the middle of traffic! :P I’ve never been to Vermont, but I sure do want to visit ALL OF THE EAST COAST someday. Have a beautiful day and enjoy~!

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

@Ellie@fitforthesoul: If you make it to VT, be sure to visit Burlington! :)

Natalie September 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm

That group is called Bread and Puppet – they’re from my neck of the (VT) woods! http://breadandpuppet.org/

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

@Natalie: Thanks for posting their link! :)

Tami@nutmegnotebook.com September 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm

That parade that went past you is so much fun! I love to people watch and an outdoor seating area at a restaurant offers so much entertainment!

Have a fabulous weekend!

Allison September 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Aw, this makes me miss Boston! I graduated from BU in May and moved home… I always loved people watching- my girlfriends and I could sit, sipping a cup of coffee for hours watching some of the hilarious sightings!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Fun parade pics! Hope you two are enjoying your weekend…looks like you are from the pics :)

Ali @ Ali Runs September 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Parades are so fun! I love the look of that restaurant. :)

Sana September 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I kinda want to go to Harvard Square just so I can sound chic when I say it , lol!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love lovely dinners night out on the town :)

Looks like a perfect way to relax and chill!

Katie @ The Purposeful Woman September 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Harvard Square looks like so much fun!! Happy Saturday :o)…and yay for a 3-day weekend!!!

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled September 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

What a fun way to spend a Friday night!

Kristen September 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hey Tina! Huge fan of your blog since I found it a few months ago. Love your take on a balanced life between fitness, food, etc. It’s really positive and has motivated me to make changes in my life.
    Plus, I’m a fellow pug owner and an Oregon alumni/major Duck fan… Can’t wait for the game! I noticed Mal wearing an Oregon hat a while back in one of your posts. Very cool. :) Have a great weekend!

Tina September 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

@Kristen: Go Ducks! And pugs! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm

What a fun evening! A parade and dinner all in one sitting…perfect. :)

Leslie Goldman @ Health Breaks Loose September 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Your day seems to have been so wonderfully pleasant :). Well, except the hummus plate thing–I hate when that happens! But I’m glad you didn’t let it ruin your otherwise very nice day, how lucky that such a cute-looking parade passed right by you!

Katherine September 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

umm..yummy! and boston looks so beautiful! thanks for sharing

MB September 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

You may not be able to move to VT anytime soon but you are welcome to come visit our camp anytime. Fall foliage is right around the corner and we’re definitely planning a trip to the corn maze so I can stock up on the fresh maple peanut butter, mmmmmm…..

Jen B September 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Was that Bread and Puppet?! Move to VT, I try to get Dave and Marie all the time…

Abi September 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Clearly I am slow because this is the first I’ve realized you live in the Cambridge area. I was at Tory Row for lunch on Wednesday. I had a salad, but stole a potato off my friend’s plate. They are omgdelish. Can’t wait to read more with my new perspective!