• Friday Night Wedding at The Villa

August 6, 2011

Friday totally got away from me. I had all of these great plans to cross things off of my To Do list– freelance work, blog updates, cleaning the house for Anne’s visit– but I don’t know where the time went!? Don’t ya hate that when it happens?

Before I knew it, Mal and I were driving to our friends’ wedding at The Villa, which was an absolutely gorgeous space for an event– both inside and out.

The wedding was officiated by the groom’s father just as the sun was about to set. It was perfect.

A cocktail hour and reception immediately followed the ceremony.

The appetizers during the cocktail hour were so fun! Among my favorites were cheeseburger sliders served with a shooter of Sam Summer beer and a mashed potato bar with all of the fixings. A mashed potato bar!?! How cool is that?

IMG_0021 (375x500)IMG_0024 (500x375)

A little while later, it was time for dinner.

The theme of the reception was a “Tale of Two Cities” since the bride and groom are from Boston and Philadelphia respectively.

The table numbers, favors, and place cards all featured the skylines of the two cities.

Dinner started with a simple salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

For my entrée, I had the chicken, which was lightly breaded with a buttery caper sauce and green beans on the side.

And, of course, dessert included a big slice of wedding cake. I <3 buttercream frosting.

Mal and I spent the rest of the evening getting down on the dance floor. Good times!

This morning, I woke up thinking it was Sunday, but it’s only Saturday. Wahoo!! Friday night weddings rule for that reason.

What do you think of Friday night weddings?

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I absolutely adore the theme of this wedding and I think it’s really cool to have a Friday night wedding. It’s definitely cheaper to have a wedding on a day other than Saturday.

Katie August 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That salad looked so cool! What a great idea! And I’m all for Friday night weddings, as long as most of your guests are from in-town! Otherwise it makes it difficult for people who can’t get off work to come!

Hilary August 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow…that food looks AMAZING. Especially the appetizers. I think Friday night weddings are ok, as long as they are late enough that people can get to them without having to miss work.

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Tale of Two Cities is one of my all-time favorite books, so I think the theme of this wedding is seriously amazing! Looks like a fun night :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm

What a fun wedding!! None of my friends have started getting married yet, but a couple of the bf’s have. No Friday night weddings but it seems like the way to go!!

Amy @ ahealthyandhappyheart August 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Beautiful Wedding! Our wedding was on Friday!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

What beautiful pics! Glad you all had such a nice time!

Kate @ Vet in the Saddle August 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I love weddings :)
    That food looks great! I’ve been to a wedding that had a mashed potato bar as well and it was awesome!

Chelcie August 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love weddings! that salad is such a pretty presentation!

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Gorgeous wedding! Mashed potato bars are awesome!

Dina@DinaRuns August 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm

What a cute theme! It is personal to the couple and unique which is a winner.

As far as Friday night weddings, I think it kind of depends. They have to be late enough that people don’t have to miss work but could be hard on the wedding party. Would you have to take Thursday and Friday off from work if you are a bridesmaid in a Friday wedding? Might be hard for people who do not have flexible work hours.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Love your dress Tina! And I love the outdoor setup of the wedding. It looks gorgeous!

debbie@accidentlydelish August 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I think they are perfectly acceptable, just sometimes harder for guests to come if they are traveling.

My fiance and I are originally from Indiana and are having our wedding in Arizona where we currently live. We may end up doing a Sunday wedding because it’s cheaper and hope that out of town guests can still come. It’s tricky picking a wedding day!

Looks like you had a great time, and you looked gorgeous!! ♥

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm

What an awesome wedding! My wedding is going to be on a Friday night. It’s so much less expensive!

Brandi August 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm

The wedding looked really amazing! It’s always cool to see what others are doing as themes and get ideas. Even though I am not getting married anytime soon, it’s still neat to see. :) As for Friday night weddings?? When I think weddings I think daylight, but it doesn’t nessecary mean that you have to do it like everyone else either. (I would want a chocolate wedding cake myself). If the wedding is planned really far in advance than hopefully it makes it easier for people that might have to rearrange their schedules. Either way it was a beautiful wedding! Chicken looked amazing!

Carolyn August 7, 2011 at 12:14 am

OMG! I recognize the artwork on the placecards/tablesettings!!! I know the artist, I’ve been following her blog on and off for years and she just recently opened an etsy shop to sell her artwork (which I love). How cool to see it out and about in the real world, at your friend’s wedding! http://www.architettestudios.com/

ArchitetteStudios August 7, 2011 at 12:29 am

@Carolyn:

How exciting! I am so glad that you sent this on to me! Yes, I created the placecards and table cards featuring the conjoined skylines of Boston and Philadelphia! It was an absolute pleasure and one of my favorite projects! What an honor to see them here! :) Cheers!

Hannah August 7, 2011 at 12:52 am

Love a Dickens reference! Let’s hope the bride doesn’t end up like Miss Havisham… :P

Renie August 7, 2011 at 6:35 am

I was married on a rainy Friday night in 1969. I hope more people showed up than what the pictures detect. The pictures are beautiful and so is the setting. Good job.

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers August 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Beautiful wedding. I love the two skylines idea! So cute!

Christina August 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Absolutely love the theme! What a great idea

Sarah August 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I have never been to a friday night wedding but I am getting married on a friday next june!! It doesn’t start until 5:30 so hopefully it wont cause any problems :)

diana@mymarblerye August 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

if you can make it, and if it’s cheaper for the bride and groom then rock on! Everything looked beautiful!

Skinny Fat Kid August 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

Mashed potato bar…my favorite! I’ve even seen a sweet potato mashed potato bar. The best!