• Chebeague Island Inn: Part I

July 30, 2011

Hi, friends! Mal and I just returned from three glorious days and two nights on Chebeague Island off of the coast of Maine.

A few months ago, the nice folks at the Chebeague Island Inn invited me for a complimentary stay. The Inn was recently renovated and the thought of getting away to a remote island sounded amazing to me. There was just no way I could turn down their offer, so we made plans for Mal and me to visit.

The Chebeague Island Inn is a beautifully restored 1920′s hotel situated on one of Maine’s most picturesque islands just outside Portland. The Inn is only two hours from Boston (plus a ferry ride), but once you get there, you feel like you’re a million miles away.

The Inn sits on top of a hill overlooking the ocean and a golf course. The views are absolutely gorgeous.

Once Mal and I arrived on Chebeague Island, we called the Inn and they immediately sent a van to pick us up. The drive from the ferry to the Chebeague Island Inn was about 10 minutes. The entire island is only five miles long by three miles wide, so I guess just about everything is approximately a 10-minute drive.

IMG_0042 (375x500)IMG_0043 (500x375)

Mal and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Chebeague Island Inn. It was stunning inside and out, but quaint and cozy at the same time. It felt very New England-chic to me.

The Inn’s “Great Room” is centered around a large stone fireplace and features oversized furniture, a small library, and a bunch of classic board games for guests to play.

The highlight of our stay at the Inn was its onsite restaurant. Mal and I were absolutely blown away by all of the fresh, creative, and flavorful dishes that we tasted. (Details to come in Part II!)

We honestly didn’t expect much from a restaurant on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere, but each of the four meals that we enjoyed was top quality. They were on par with a meal you’d get at an upscale restaurant in a major city. Mal and I were really impressed.

The menu options are relatively limited, but for a good reason:

The Chebeague Island Inn Restaurant seeks to combine the freshest local ingredients in creative ways that enable the natural flavors of the ingredients to shine.

The majority of the main ingredients on the menu were from Maine and other nearby locations in the New England area. Everything tasted really fresh.

The restaurant also had a full bar. Mal and I liked this amenity a lot.

We also liked the dog bed at the Inn.

(Booze and dogs always seem to make us happy. We’re easy to please.)

The dog bed belongs to Cody, a 12-year-old Yellow Lab that lives at the Inn. He was a really sweet and kept us company on the porch.

The Inn has 21 guest rooms and each was decorated by local Maine artists and artisans. No two guest rooms are alike. Neat, right?

All of the rooms have queen-sized beds with comfy bedding and are free from telephones and TVs, which the Inn refers to as “the simple quiet of another time.” Perfect. They made it easy for me to “unplug.”

The room’s private bathroom was standard with a full size tub, sink, and toilet, but the complimentary toiletries were pretty sweet: C.O. Bigelow! I love their stuff.

Fancy hotel toiletries always get me!

Once Mal and I got settled in our room, we headed downstairs to enjoy a cocktail on the huge back porch, which overlooks the ocean. The porch was easily my favorite part about the Inn.

Mal and I spent a lot of time hanging out on the porch during our stay.

Even though the two of us usually plan relatively active vacations, enjoying the breathtaking views in comfy wicker chairs and chatting with a delicious cocktail in hand was quite the perfect way to unwind.

I thought I could fit our whole Chebeague Island vacation into one post, but there’s just no way. Part II coming soon!

Courtney July 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

That Inn looks absolutely amazing! :) beautiful!

Blog is the New Black July 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm

It looks so peaceful and relaxing! I already want to visit!

Kelly July 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Looks like a great trip and a perfect way to relax :) Though I don’t think I’ve actually ever stayed somewhere without a TV- I kinda like the TV, especially when I want to go to bed early and I need something to entertain my husband haha

Wifey July 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Looks cozy … and romantic. *ahem*

Sounds like you had a great time.

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Kelsey @ My Search of Summer July 30, 2011 at 7:04 pm

That looks like an awesome little vacation spot! You two look so relaxed there :).

Karen July 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm

That looks like a very dreamy place. I love when you can find a new treasure within such a short distance from home.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) July 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I felt relaxed just looking at the photos! Sounds like a fabulous getaway!

corey @ Learning Patience July 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

What a fun place – looks amazing and relaxing – glad you had a fun trip! Thank for sharing! xoxo

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 30, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Oh that looks positively delightful!

I love the views! SO blue and green :)

Can’t wait for the next part!

Stef @ Living HI July 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Beautiful vacation. I love outdoor the seating, that porch looks amazing and thought inspiring.

Alicia July 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Wow- this is breathtaking! Can’t wait for part II!

Suzanne Spray July 30, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Heavenly! :) We are moving from the Northwest to the Northeast next year. Looks like we’ll have to venture to this beautiful inn! Thanks for sharing.

Jennie July 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Sounds beautiful! I’d love to visit!

Kathleen July 30, 2011 at 7:42 pm

How fun! Glad you got to get away from the craziness of blogging with Mal. Everyone deserves a vacation and such beautiful surroundings makes it even better.

Balancing Sylvia July 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

So excited to see what comes with part II. It already looks so beautiful, relaxing and just all around amazing. Glad you had a great time :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

that looks like such a cute place to stay! I love low key and cozy places like that. Glad you had the chance to get away. :)

Hillary July 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I LOVE Maine. My ex-boyfriend went to college in Portland, and I loved spending time there in the summer. The weather is gorgeous, the people are fantastic, and the food is delicious. What more could you want?!

lynn @ the actor's diet July 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm

i wouldn’t turn that place down either even though i don’t know how to pronounce it!

Bella July 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I am actually from Maine. Ahh I love maine summers, I bet the menu was packed with blueberries. Haha.

CJ Weaber @ http://cjh002.wordpress.com July 30, 2011 at 8:27 pm

oh my gosh have you ever been to Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, New York?! This inn kinda reminds me of it so if you enjoyed your stay you should definitely check it out. If you like activity and a picturesque location it would be right up your alley!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Wow Tina everything looks absolutely stunning. I uses to go to Maine a lot as a kid…it is so pretty

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Looks amazing!!

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Sooo beautiful. What a relaxing place to stay. And i love that there is a resident dog! :)

Alaina July 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

What a gorgeous hotel!! I’m in Maine right now with family. I love coming up here! David and I might look to move up here. :-)

Mary (Sisters Running the Kitchen) July 30, 2011 at 10:04 pm

this vacation looks perfect!!!! my boyfriend has become quite obsessed about Maine…I’m sure he would love it here!

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life July 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Wow — the inn looks fantastic and super chic! What a lovely little vacay for you two :) I’ve never been to Maine, but I’ve heard wonderful things from some friends who actually just spent a week on an island up there!! Maybe you were in the same spot! :)

Hannah July 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I want to live there! So beautiful!

danielle July 30, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Yay for Maine! I live in Portland and our summers are the best :) Looks like you have a fabulous time out on Chebeague. I highly recommend Great Diamond Island and Long Island as well to anyone who wants to visit Maine (both off of the coast of Portland); they are equally as charming.

Khushboo July 31, 2011 at 12:20 am

Sounds like a great getaway! Tina, I feel like i’ve spent the last 6 hours with you because I’ve been reading your book on my flight…thanks for indirectly keeping me entertained on a potentially boring flight!

Corrie Anne July 31, 2011 at 1:05 am

Looks so wonderful and relaxing! What a gorgeous place to stay!

Brittney July 31, 2011 at 7:32 am

I was already missing New England before reading this post (and part II), and now I miss it even more! I wish I was an easy drive from a place like that!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 31, 2011 at 8:50 am

What a gorgeous location! Lucky you :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 31, 2011 at 9:03 am

What a cute inn! And it looks like it has gorgeous views too. I’m glad you got to enjoy a relaxing weekend away. :)

Ali @ Ali Runs July 31, 2011 at 9:44 am

What a beautiful inn! I love Maine, it’s so pretty!

Rachel L July 31, 2011 at 11:31 am

Glad you had a great time Tina! I live in Portland and absolutely love it here

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking July 31, 2011 at 11:38 am

this is beautiful Tina. This place is so chic and clean , I love it. I have to checkout Maine, it’s been years, and I barely remember it.

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 31, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Wow, that looks so wondrously idyllic. What a great getaway!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

What an awesome trip! The inn looks beautiful!

Maggie @ Asliceofwonderbread August 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

I live right down the way from here on Peaks Island !!! The Inn is one of my favorite places to go for an afternoon drink. I’m so happy the Inn invited you to this special corner of Maine and you got enjoy the beautiful weather.

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

That looks like one of the most quaint little inns I’ve ever seen! I think my favorite part would have to be Cody, though, if only from the pictures.

Margo @ peanut butter trees August 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

This inn looks so beautiful! How lucky!

Wendy Irene August 1, 2011 at 11:47 am

Tina, I LOVE your vacation pictures! Cheers to vacation – it’s the BEST!! Wonderful to see you had a great vaca because you deserve it!

Christie August 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

Looks beautiful! Not to mention RELAXING!

Hilary August 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Oh wow, that place (and the views) look absolutely gorgeous! I too have a soft spot for fancy hotel toiletries!