• Eat DC

March 28, 2011

I can’t believe my weekend in DC is over already. Wah. Wasn’t it just Friday? Time sure flies by when you’re having fun!

Besides spending time with Katie and PR-ing at the National Half Marathon, food and drink were, of course, highlights of my visit to Washington, DC. Here’s a recap of my favorites from the weekend.

Port City Brewing Company

3950 Wheeler Avenue
    Alexandria, VA 22304

Port City Brewing Company is a new brewery located just outside DC in Alexandria, Virginia. The brewery produces handmade, quality, craft beers for the DC and Mid Atlantic Markets— maybe Boston is next?

IMG_1957

Port City Brewing offers public tours at 12:30pm and 2pm on Saturdays. The cost is just $5 and includes a tasting glass to keep and a full tasting of all of the beers on tap. The tasting room is also open on Friday and Sunday afternoons.

001 (640x480)

On Saturday afternoon, Katie and I joined a few of her friends for a tour and tasting at the brewery. Before the tour even started, everyone was given a tasting glass full of beer to enjoy during it— my type of tour!

003 (640x480)

During the tour, we also received a pour of the Pale Ale right from one of the big brewing vessels. So cool! It was the freshest beer I’ve ever tasted!

004 (480x640)

Port City Brewing’s beer lineup currently includes an IPA, a Pale Ale, a Witbier, and a Porter. I liked them all, but my favorite of the bunch was the Porter, which was malty with bittersweet flavors of coffee and dark chocolate.

005 (640x480)

Good times.

006 (480x640)

Matchbox

Multiple locations

As soon as Katie told me that Matchbox had really delicious pizza, I wanted to go there. Matchbox describes itself as a “vintage pizza bistro,” and it’s menu includes salads, sandwiches, pizza, and the like. It also has a great bar with a wonderful selection of beers and wines.

007 (640x480)

After the brewery tour, Katie and I stopped by Matchbox for dinner. We were sort of short on time, so we sat at the bar and quickly ordered. I had the Sausage & Sundried Tomato Pizza, which included chunks of sausage, sundried tomatoes, ricotta, mozzarella, fresh basil, and a balsamic reduction drizzled on top. It was awesome, and I ate almost the entire portion. Pizza rules.

009 (640x480)

Zest Bistro

735 8th Street, SE
    Washington, DC 20003

On Sunday morning, Katie and I met Anne and Kelly for brunch at Zest, “a neighborhood bistro with a twist.”

IMG_1958 (640x427)

Zest is an adorable and welcoming restaurant in the Capital Hill area of DC. It serves simple American fare made with fresh ingredients and interesting flavors. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Zest is also committed to being environmentally-friendly and has taken a number steps towards being green. “Wood from the restaurant demolition was saved and made into the dining room tables and bar top, non-toxic paint was used on the walls, the water heater, sinks and toilets are highly energy efficient and the bamboo floors are a sustainable resource.” Neat!

010 (640x480)

For brunch, I ordered one of the featured specials: a salad with a grilled scallop, greens, roasted butternut squash, and fava beans with cherry balsamic vinaigrette. Mmm! Loved it!

012 (640x480)

Our server warned me that the salad was more of a “starter,” so I ordered a side of homefries as well. I ate them with ketchup and leftover cherry balsamic vinaigrette from my salad.

014 (640x480)

I barely saw Anne at the expo and race, so it was great to catch up with her.

013 (640x480)

It was also nice to spend some time with Kelly. I only briefly met her at the blogger meet-up the night before, so I’m glad that we were able to chat more over brunch.

015 (640x480)

After brunch, Katie and I went to Georgetown to do some shopping. We hit an amazing sale at Banana Republic (25% off already reduced sale merchandise!), and then went in search of cupcakes. A number of people recommended Georgetown Cupcake, so we headed there.

IMG_1961 (640x427)

But, when Katie and I saw an insane line outside, we immediately changed our minds about Georgetown Cupcake. Plus, Anne told us about a better, more chill cupcake place not too far from there.

IMG_1960 (640x427)

Baked & Wired

1052 Thomas Jefferson Street NW
    Washington, DC 20007

I felt like Anne let us in on a pretty big secret with Baked & Wired. It was hip and funky with a laid-back vibe and an amazing selection of cupcakes, delicious-looking baked goods, and a full coffee bar. It’s the type of place I’d take my laptop or a good book and spend hours and hours.

IMG_1963 (427x640)

_MG_1966 (640x426)

I bet you know which cupcake flavor I picked!

IMG_1964 (427x640)

Carrot cake, of course! Holy yum!

When it comes to cupcakes, I typically only care about the frosting, but this cupcake had it all: outstanding frosting and cake. The carrot cake was soft, moist, and packed with raisins and walnuts. This time, I ate the frosting top and cakey bottom.  (Usually, I just eat the top of a cupcake and a little bit of the bottom.)

_MG_1970 (640x426)

Lots to good eats in DC! My taste buds definitely left happy!

Jess (Sweet Potato) March 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Matchbox pizza is the BEST!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

After three years of living in DC I’ve never been to Georgetown Cupcake. I honestly don’t think I’ve been by there when there wasn’t a line around the block.

Christine March 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Everything looks/sounds delicious. Food and drink tend to be the highlight of my trips too… I remember going to NYC last summer and being more excited about the restaurants than I was about all the tourist attractions :P

Leah March 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

DC is awesome. I can’t wait to go back again soon!

my little celebration March 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Yum! Carrot cake cupcakes are the best!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love Baked and Wired! I tried there peach cupcake with almond frosting when I visited last time, and it was sooo yummy!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

that pizza has me drooling all over the place. holy deliciousness!

Suzanne March 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That’s hilarious about the cupcakes. My husband and I had the same experience. We were in town for my friend’s wedding, and we were staying about 15 minutes (30 with traffic!) outside of the city. We went out of our way to get to DC Cupcakes, but the line was crazy. So we ended up going to Baked and Wired as well, and I was so glad we did! I loved their cupcakes. I had the carrot too! :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! That pizza looks delicious.

Roz March 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

What a great looking weekend. That cupcake lineup is CRAZY!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

What a great restaurant roundup and amazing time w/ friends this weekend!!

Christine @ Merf In Progress March 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Oh, I am *so* headed to that brewery! Looks awesome!

Jenna...lifeinjenneral March 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE brewery tours, they are the best!
    And I did the EXACT same thing last time I was in Georgetown…saw the line for DC cupcakes, and went to Baked and Wired instead. lol.
    Delicious!

Kristen March 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I’m so glad you hit Baked and Wired instead of Georgetown Cupcake! B&W is INFINITELY better! Next time you come to town hit Faccia Luna for pizza. They have two locations–one in Arlington and another in Old Town. It is the BOMB!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life March 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for this recap Tina!! My hubby and I were just talking about our summer vacation yesterday, and we 95% decided on DC, so it’s great to have a few ideas of places to eat!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I love the simple and elegant cupcake look! Mmmm yummy. True that! everyday is Sunday huh? :P

Hope March 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Looks like a fun day! I totally want to try Georgetown Cupcakes! I love their tv show!

heidi March 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Baked and wired is my FAVORITE cupcakery in DC :) Glad someone else agrees with me :) Georgetown cupcake is good but i don’t think any cupcake place is worth waiting an hour in line for.

Congrats on the baller race btw!! :)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

My best friend and I always take a long weekend trip over the summer to spend quality time together, and last year we went to DC! In fact, we went to baked & wired and to that banana republic. The line into the cupcake place was just as long. So silly! Just cause it’s on TV! glad you found baked and wired though. There was a cute barista last time I was there ;)

Eloise March 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I live in DC and Baked & Wired are the best cupcakes in the city! Wayyy better than Georgetown Cupcake. Plus I love their hole in the wall location, they have great coffee, the fact that they sell other equally delicious desserts and have a fun name!

Alaina March 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend!! I’m going to DC in October when my husband comes home for R&R. We’ll have to check out those places! :-)

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle March 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm

As many times as I have been to DC, I have never eaten at Georgetown Cupcake just because the line is always SO LONG, but actually there are a lot of great bakerys around DC that are probably better, they just don’t have their own show :)

Kimberley March 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm

It looks like you had a great weekend. I went to a beer show in my town the weekend, it was called “Beerfest” it showcased over 100 types of beer. I thought of your love for beer! I tried so many different types .. I really enjoyed the ciders!

Hannah March 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’m so predictable! What I want most is the cupcake :D

Ally (oatsandspice) March 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I seriously cannot believe that line is all for cupcakes – craziness! My parents used to live in Alexandria VA when they first got married :) It looks like you had a really fun weekend!

Hilary March 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

YUM! Looks delicious and like so much fun! And that DC Cupcakes line is unbelievable!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I can’t believe that line up! At least you found another place to get cupcakes though. :D

Jessica March 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Good call on Baked and Wired! I graduated from Georgetown, and have seen lines even longer than that! To be honest, their cupcakes aren’t anything special. Baked and Wired’s cupcakes are much better (and have more frosting, the best part)!

Emily March 29, 2011 at 12:35 am

Ugh, I’ve wanted to visit Baked & Wired for so long now! One day :) That cupcake looks amazing!!

Taylor @ Delish World March 29, 2011 at 10:01 am

Gtown cupcakes are good and I think worth it, but I always pre-order my cupcakes…get to skip the line, or I go right when they open. Glad you had fun in DC. I love it here! :)

Megan@eatmybeets March 29, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Umm this is like the best combination of things in one post –> beer, pizza, and cupcakes yesss (and not too far from my home in Richmond!)

Christie March 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

DC’s awesome! I’m so happy you got to discover some of its hidden gems… I’m a strong promoter of hidden gems… especially in the form of UNDISCOVERED CUPCAKE TERRAIN!! Well done- so PROUD! Haha

Lisa March 30, 2011 at 4:47 am

I live in Alexandria, but my husband used to work right across the street from Baked & Wired – dangerous! They are SO good! So glad you could go there! Also, the people that work there are so nice!

BIOCHEMISTA March 30, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Too funnny – I just posted how Baked N’ Wired is sooo much better than Georgetown Cupcakes. In fact, I think Gtown cupcakes is kinda nast. You were right in my hood! (I live about 4 blocks away :) )

Lele April 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Baked and Wired is soooooooooooo much better than Georgetown! Their cupcakes (Georgetown’s) are really dry and boring! And it’s true, Baked and Wired respects the cake, not just the frosting.

Jeanett Soleman May 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

For certain i will visit your blog regularly for some latest article