• Why I Eat Vegetables

February 17, 2011

Want to know why I eat vegetables? The short and simple answer is nutrients.

Most vegetables taste pretty good to me, especially if they’re roasted, but knowing that the nutrients are good for my mind, body, and soul encourages me to eat them frequently. When I’m loading up my diet with veggies, I notice a positive influence on my mood, cravings, and physical appearance. I also notice a difference when I am not eating them.

The reason I am explaining why I eat vegetables is because something weird happened to me this morning.

Snack

Mid-morning, I had a serious craving for sautéed spinach. Not a Pumpkin-Quinoa Muffin. Not a handful of butterscotch chips. Sautéed spinach. Who am I?!? Who craves vegetables? I crave sugar, damn it! I always thought people who said they craved vegetables were full of crap, but now I sort of get it.

Since I started to reduce the amount of sugar that I consume, I’ve incorporated a lot more vegetables into my meals and snacks. The more vegetables I eat, the more I crave them and the less I want sugar. Ok, well, I always want to eat sugar, but now my cravings for sweets are less frequent and more manageable.

_MG_0350 (640x426)

I’m still in shock about my spinach craving. I feel like I need to eat a cupcake to even it out! ;-)

Why do you eat vegetables?

Lunch

I’m getting pretty close to completing my 30th Healthiest Foods Challenge. I’m just six foods away!

_MG_0357 (640x426)

Actually, make that five! I knocked off edamame at lunch! I paired it with leftover brown rice and black beans from last night’s dinner.

_MG_0369 (640x426)

I finished off the meal with a Pumpkin-Quinoa Muffin. Delish!

_MG_0301 (640x426)

FYI: OpenSky is offering a fantastic deal on Coconut Butter today! The deal may or may not include a special cookie recipe from yours truly! :mrgreen:

_MG_9818

To get the deal and the recipe, just make sure you’re following me!

Ashley (The Vegetable Life) February 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

I always crave veggies and you are so right! The more I eat them the more I crave them!

Amber K February 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I eat a ton of veggies and I have yet to actually crave them!

Rachel @ Healthy Teacher February 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Veggies are fabulous.

Joy February 20, 2011 at 7:20 am

My biggest craving is always lettuce – people look at me weird when I say that but romaine lettuce is so good!

Kristen February 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I will say I dont crave vegetables, I have a hard time getting the amount I need each day. But I do crave protein A LOT! (a sugar too haha)

Andrea (From Seed to Stomach) October 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I could eat Kale Chips for a week straight. OK, maybe not, but I definitely crave those vegan cheesy kale chips you get at the health food store. SO good!

Suz January 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Came across your blog while Googling vegetable cravings – because I have them!! Glad to see I’m not alone! :)

Like you, I’ve all but eliminated refined sugar from my diet. Additionally, I eat almost no processed food, and I cook for myself most of the time. I found that my hunger for vegetables spiked considerably… I crave them, I love them, I grow my own!

I believe it is possible to retrain our bodies to crave healthy food instead of sugars if we consistently make the effort to reach for fruits and raw veggies/nuts instead of cookies and potato chips.