• Unplugging

February 28, 2011

Wow, what a busy Monday! I can’t believe it’s 5 o’clock already. I’ve been glued to my computer almost all day. :-? I actually accomplished a lot today, so I really have nothing to complain about, but I still wish I had a couple more hours to work, ya know?

I’m starting to think I might be a workaholic or maybe addicted to social media? Are there signs that I should look for? I really need to unplug more often.

Workout

After lunch, I ran some errands and then popped into the gym for a run on the treadmill. I used a workout that I found in Runner’s World as a guide.

I started with a 20-minute warm-up at a 9:30 pace then moved onto the first interval, which was 15 minutes at half marathon pace. From there, I did two 10-minute intervals and a 5-minute interval, each one at a faster pace.

Here’s how the intervals broke down:

• 20 minutes
    • 15 minutes
    • 10 minutes
    • 10 minutes
    • 5 minutes

I felt pretty good and covered 6.4 miles in 60 minutes, but I’m getting a little nervous for the race this weekend. I know I’ll finish; I’m just not sure how fast I will be. I hope I am ready!

Snack

When I got home from the gym, I refueled with a smoothie. In the mix: frozen banana, plain yogurt, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, ground flaxseed meal, and a couple scoops of cooked brown rice, which added some serious chew.

I sipped my smoothie while hanging out with Murphy in the backyard. I have no idea why he looked so upset– maybe he was bummed that I didn’t share?

Third Annual Yoga Challenge

Once again, I plan to challenge myself to a month of yoga starting tomorrow on March 1. My goal for this Yoga Challenge is to practice yoga for at least 20 minutes three days each week. I have an intense racing schedule starting this coming weekend and not ending until the second weekend of April, so I want to regularly practice yoga to help keep my body healthy. Hopefully, this little challenge will help motivate me.

In years past, I’ve invited CNC readers to join me for the Yoga Challenge and set personal yoga goals for themselves. I hope you decide to join me!

Time to unplug. Off to do non-computer things!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I am totally in for the yoga challenge. I need some relaxation in my world :)

andrea February 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

what is half marathon pace?

Tina March 1, 2011 at 6:49 am

It’s the pace in which you’d run a half marathon. I ran around 9:20 miles.

andrea March 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

oh thanks!

Allie February 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I find it really hard to unplug as well! I always find myself doing 10 things at once and half of them involve electronic things. So crazy how the world is so technologically plugged in at all times! Hope you enjoy your night and get some time to relax!

Roxanne February 28, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Yoga challenge FTW! I’m hoping that the yoga class at the community center here will finally get enough people to run this coming month.

Fallon February 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I did yoga on Sunday and I plan on doing yoga tomorrow morning! I’ll definitely join the challenge.

Kristen February 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I would love to follow the yoga challenge with you. I have just found my love of yoga, but need to practice more (especially after long runs)

Jaclyn February 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I did a thirty day yoga challenge, all of January – sometimes more than once a day – suffice to say, 3x a week – I’m down for this challenge!!

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free March 1, 2011 at 1:32 am

I haven’t been able to get into yoga. Your challenge sounds perfect for me! I’ll try to do 3 times a week for 10 mins. Baby steps :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

I need to unplug more often too. But it’s so hard to find time to do that between school work and blogging!

I’m sure you have nothing to worry about for your race. You’re gonna rock it! :D

Melissa @ Hungry Healthy Happy March 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

Love the yoga challenge. My goal is to do yoga after my runs to stretch myself out. I’ve been feeling a little achy after running lately, and yoga always seems to help. With that, I’ll commit to 10-15 minutes of yoga after running (about 3-4 times/week).

Tania Katherine March 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’ve been working the last few weeks to do yoga 6 to 7 mornings a week. I’ll be in too!